Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Kharnifex posted:

That sounds like the turtle treasure forum on SA's front page

I think they were fabricated forum posts about cracking open turtles for treasure.

I hope they were faked

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/hidden-gems-weekend/

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/more-hidden-gems/

This is it! Incredible, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There was an architect/city planner in I think the early 20th century who designed a type of city that could house a million people in a few square miles with no need for cars or even much vehicular transport of any kind while also not being a brutalist tower house nightmare and it's been driving me crazy trying to remember who this guy was because he seemed insanely ahead of his time. I read about him once ages ago on wikipedia but haven't been able to find anything about him or his ideas since.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Xposting from another thread because why not

This has nothing to do with the trash du jour but I remember a short film I saw on IFC years and years ago about a bunch of old men hiking in some germanic speaking country and they all get stuck one by one in a bog or something and resign themselves to die. I remember liking it but not if it was actually you know good. I think it might be noregian, danish or swedish but not positive

also a bump

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was some girl who made kinda neat poo poo and she died in a hiking accident and my vague google searches get vague google results

She invented neat little gadgets and stuff

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Section 9 posted:

I've been searching on and off for years to find the movie "Strangler vs Strangler", specifically the Canon Films English dub. A friend and I caught it randomly on some hosted movie show on TV in the early 90's (searches have led me to believe it must have been Joe Bob Briggs.) I don't know what the original Serbian script is like, but the English dub was hilariously bad and was a source of tons of in-jokes for us for years. I've found some places to buy the original Serbian version, and I think I even once found it uploaded to some website, but I have never been able to find the English dub for sale or otherwise. I expect I never will since Canon Films is long gone and I doubt such an obscure film would ever get any sort of re-release, even if it is apparently a cult classic in its homeland. Probably for the best as I'm sure actually seeing it again wouldn't live up to the nostalgia.

It's a Serbian horror-comedy about a man who sells carnations, lives with his abusive mother, and starts strangling women who won't buy his flowers. There is an inept detective following the case who lives alone with his cat who speaks to him with text screens (like old silent movie cards, not sure what the technical term is,) and a young punk band singer who develops a psychic link to the carnation selling serial killer (the name of his band is "The Stranglers" thus the title "Strangler vs Strangler".)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUWTSl4HK0s

This sounds like something that Vinegar Syndrome or 88 Films would give a Bluray release to.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

McSpanky posted:

There was an architect/city planner in I think the early 20th century who designed a type of city that could house a million people in a few square miles with no need for cars or even much vehicular transport of any kind while also not being a brutalist tower house nightmare and it's been driving me crazy trying to remember who this guy was because he seemed insanely ahead of his time. I read about him once ages ago on wikipedia but haven't been able to find anything about him or his ideas since.

Was it the one where all the units were round and no one had an individual kitchen because everyone would eat communally?

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
Around 2010 I went to Washington DC. In one of the national art museums, I saw a painting of a European city. Possibly Spanish, or coastal.The painting was tall, and depicted a city scene, ranging from the villa at the top of the painting to the furthest streets below where the laborers lived and worked. I made a note of the painting's name and artist at the time but that info is long gone.

I was impressed by both the great colors and the emotional resonance of the place depicted, and also by the tacit class consciousness depicted.

This is a long shot but that's what the thread is for.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Call Your Grandma posted:

There was a music video on MuchMusic (Canadian version of MTV that was basically 100% music videos at the time but also had the CRTC-mandated CanCon rules) in the early-mid nineties. It was some alternative-rock band and the video was either in black and white or just extremely desaturated.

The video featured the band in a garage playing their music, cut with the story of a kid on his bike. The kid is sad about things (that probably also happened in the music video??) and the one part that I remember is that he writes his name on the street with the tires of his bike. I *think* the band's drummer had the name "the acorns" or "the squirrels" or something like that on his drum-kit. I could never find the video through google and I'm not sure if I actually liked the song or not.

Professor Shark posted:

I remember this Music Video. Could it have been an early Our Lady Peace?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmtbsZIYSJs

Enjoy.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

McSpanky posted:

Buckminster Fuller? An early member of the Bauhaus? PYF has an architecture thread, try asking in there?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Was it the one where all the units were round and no one had an individual kitchen because everyone would eat communally?

I think so? It was a long-rear end time ago but rounded architecture seems familiar.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Buckminster Fuller? An early member of the Bauhaus? PYF has an architecture thread, try asking in there?

That's for the PYF suggestion, I'll try it out.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 10, 2020

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Doctor Eckhart posted:

I have memories of a virtual pet PC game where you took care of a dog in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Did the dog have a really huge tongue on the cover art? Sounds a bit like a really bad Petz knockoff I had as a kid, but I can’t remember the title. Don’t remember it being that sinister, but it felt weirdly empty in a way that the Petz games didn’t.

My white whale is a story I read around 2001 in a collection of YA horror stories. It was about a guy who dies in a motorbike accident and he goes to this afterlife where he’s just a bubble of consciousness in a void. He meets up with other people, some of whom he can kind of enter and see their life/thoughts? Also dog bubbles who protect him from these predatory bubbles. In the end he and one of the dogs choose not to “go into the light”, he wakes up in hospital and then he ends up adopting the dog.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 10, 2020

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

literally a hog posted:

I asked this before in one of the Star Trek threads and got nothing:

Can anyone tell me if that old rear end A/T thread(I think it was Ask/Tell) from pre 2008 from with all the behind the scenes stories from working on one or more of the 90's Star Trek series is goldmined/archived?
Had stories like Jonathan Frakes pulling pranks and throwing a crazy bouncy ball in the room directly under some exec's office as hard as he possibly could. The exec was known to have a terrible temper and came out red faced screaming ready to murder whoever did it, but he sees its Frakes and he just can't say poo poo to him, so he turns around and just goes back to his office. Also possibly the Dr. Bashir/Captain Sisko real life, on set feud stories from DS9?

It seemed like it was very popular reading and linked in GBS regularly to people back then, but I haven't seen it in probably a decade and I've looked in the archives and haven't found it. I'm hoping it didn't get deleted because I remember there being some really good stories in there Id like to show other people.

Is it in the 50 year mission books?

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Did the dog have a really huge tongue on the cover art? Sounds a bit like a really bad Petz knockoff I had as a kid, but I can’t remember the title. Don’t remember it being that sinister, but it felt weirdly empty in a way that the Petz games didn’t.

Like Odie from Garfield? I can’t be sure I’m not just thinking of him. But yeah, it did seem empty, like it was just you and the dog and nothing else existed in that world.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Section 9 posted:

I've been searching on and off for years to find the movie "Strangler vs Strangler", specifically the Canon Films English dub. A friend and I caught it randomly on some hosted movie show on TV in the early 90's (searches have led me to believe it must have been Joe Bob Briggs.) I don't know what the original Serbian script is like, but the English dub was hilariously bad and was a source of tons of in-jokes for us for years. I've found some places to buy the original Serbian version, and I think I even once found it uploaded to some website, but I have never been able to find the English dub for sale or otherwise. I expect I never will since Canon Films is long gone and I doubt such an obscure film would ever get any sort of re-release, even if it is apparently a cult classic in its homeland. Probably for the best as I'm sure actually seeing it again wouldn't live up to the nostalgia.

It's a Serbian horror-comedy about a man who sells carnations, lives with his abusive mother, and starts strangling women who won't buy his flowers. There is an inept detective following the case who lives alone with his cat who speaks to him with text screens (like old silent movie cards, not sure what the technical term is,) and a young punk band singer who develops a psychic link to the carnation selling serial killer (the name of his band is "The Stranglers" thus the title "Strangler vs Strangler".)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUWTSl4HK0s

Wow. I saw Strangler vs Strangler back in '84 in Minneapolis at a university screening. Enjoyed it immensely, but never encountered or even heard of it again. I am amazed to learn Canon picked it up and did a dub, and that it was shown on US tv. I'd love to know how closely the dub followed the original Serbian, which I remember as being genuinely amusing, rather than so bad it's good. Guess I need to see both now...

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

The DuckDuckGo recommendation was great. I found one of my original white whales: https://youtu.be/CAmqrjtWdjs (Conan O'Brien Moral Dilemma sketch from 1997 that I saw once).

I'm curious if anyone remembers the video that I still cannot find. My memories are hazy so I'm going to try to include details that might be wrong. I saw this somewhere between 2001-2003. I believe that it was from a sketch comedy troupe, and that I either downloaded it from their site or they had it embedded. It was live action, and I believe it started in a pastoral countryside setting. It was kind of serious in tone before everyone in the video started chanting a nonsense word, something that sounded like rezelsheft? I think it got absurd and maybe dark pretty quickly. It might have a song later in the video. I loved it as a teenager and I'm curious if it holds up.

zekezero
Apr 8, 2004

There was a book a buddy of mine had in grade school - early 80’s.

It was a big picture book containing large color pictures of different spaceships or spaceship size alien beast and a paragraph description.

Somebody stole it out of his locker - wish it had been me- I’ve never seen another.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

zekezero posted:

There was a book a buddy of mine had in grade school - early 80’s.

It was a big picture book containing large color pictures of different spaceships or spaceship size alien beast and a paragraph description.

Somebody stole it out of his locker - wish it had been me- I’ve never seen another.

See if any of the covers https://www.amazon.com/Stewart-Cowley/e/B000AQ471W/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1 here jog your memory.

Having said that, can any goon who owns these confirm that they are the ones I'm now thinking of? The two things I kind-of remember are:

* There was a spaceship illustration showing a spaceship with two pairs of weapons, one in line with the body, one at an angle, and the flavor text was about "a minor design feature that proved to be an advantage ... allowing the spaceship to approach at one angle ... last-minute change heading and use the second{ary}"
* Possibly an overarching narrative about war with an incomprehensible something-or-other, which included a single captive or pilot found crash-landed, a slightly creepy pic (mouldy pilot?) and it concludes with the pilot dying finally continually calling for/raving about "drith"?

Those would probably be from two different books b/c the library I read them in many decades ago had more than one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

frogge posted:

Is it in the 50 year mission books?

No, I know what he's talking about, it was a goon's personal anecdotes. One of them was him getting himself placed on a duty roster or something as an easter egg in an Enterprise episode? I believe he was later involved in pitching a Trek animated series taking place centuries after the TNG/DS9/VOY-era with a square-hulled ship. Unfortunately I don't have the actual thread but I hope this helps.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Sir Nose posted:

Wow. I saw Strangler vs Strangler back in '84 in Minneapolis at a university screening. Enjoyed it immensely, but never encountered or even heard of it again. I am amazed to learn Canon picked it up and did a dub, and that it was shown on US tv. I'd love to know how closely the dub followed the original Serbian, which I remember as being genuinely amusing, rather than so bad it's good. Guess I need to see both now...

Yeah I am super curious how the original dialog matched up with the dub. With no context it looked like it could have just been a totally earnest low-budget horror movie that was terribly translated. I only learned years later that it is actually intentionally comedic. It's been such a long time but I remember the dub being hilarious more because it seemed like they were trying to make too direct of a translation resulting in bonkers phrasing. I remember there was one scene where the carnation man is feeding ducks by a pond or something and sees a child and asks "Are you a little boy or a little girl?" and the child answers "I'm a girl!" and he responds "Then why are you wearing pantaloons?" If I remember correctly the dub voice actors were also extremely bad, which would be in line with a Canon release to my understanding.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

McSpanky posted:

Probably Paolo Soleri

https://arcosanti.org/project/about-arcosanti/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Soleri

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm hoping someone else remembers an insane interstitial ad featuring a green mummy that gets recruited to help fight in the iraq war (iirc culminating in it beating up "so dumb hussein"). i'm pretty sure it was animated in claymation, and had a woman's voice singing narration on top of it.

this would have been in the early 2000s on nickelodeon or cartoon network. caveat that i was in new zealand, so it might not have originally aired on that channel in the us (or may have been made during the gulf war but just made it over lol).

it stuck with me because it was so weird.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Doctor Eckhart posted:

Like Odie from Garfield? I can’t be sure I’m not just thinking of him. But yeah, it did seem empty, like it was just you and the dog and nothing else existed in that world.

Ok I found mine - was it 3D Pets: PC Pup? If you skip to halfway through this video, to where he’s showing the dog part of the game, you can see the massive empty gloomy backyard. The credits screen has weird sinister music and the dog can DIE, which I didn’t remember at all! https://youtu.be/JlsuGnycnVo

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

rodbeard posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a really lovely old PC platformer I played probably in the mid to late 90s. It had one of the weirdest design flaws I've ever seen. Whenever you scrolled the screen it just showed you garbage data unless you went into the menu and back out again. The programmer's solution to this was to have this demonstrated by the game's demo that autoplays in the main menu so you know it's supposed to look like that.

Also for shits and giggles can someone find the avatar I used as a teen. You can see part of it in this picture.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This has been bugging me for 15 years or more, and yes I asked about it in NMD.

The main melody riff in this song:

https://youtu.be/dv7vWV-uNMc

is "borrowed" from another song and no I'm not thinking of "Freshmen" by Verve Pipe. It's a much older song which this one and Freshmen have both cribbed from.

I know it's a pretty basic note progression but I've had shockingly little luck on this quest.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A clip from a European movie in which a man rides a scooter through a city (it's probably Italy) mostly shot from behind, in black and white. It's not Roman Holiday. There is a jaunty song playing in the background, the song has a female vocalist

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Was coming here to post about how I haven't ever been able to find the dubbed version, or even subtitled version, of the 90s cartoon Les Exploits d'Arsène Lupin which aired as Night Hood in Canada.

However, while double checking the name I found out some kind soul put almost all of it up on YouTube a few years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR51cdtCpAWyUaB4mJCoSmA

Now I just need the last 4 episodes.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I don't have a lot to go on to describe this, but me and my twin sister played an educational/kids game when we were little that we bring up sometimes because we can't for the life of us figure out what the gently caress it was.

It was on the Amiga, would have been sometime early/mid-90s, and the only part either of us remember is that towards the end there is an evil "witch" that shows up as an image on the screen. To win you have to colour over her with basically the spray tool from MS Paint, which reveals a goblet or chalice behind her that you need to win the game or save the day or something

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh and another music one:

The dub/jazz/postrock band HiM put out an EP in 95 or so which I believe was called "The Music of the Spheres", or perhaps it was just a single. I think it may have been a limited vinyl situation? But it appears to be nowhere online, none of their discographies even mention it, but it was really good.

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Ok I found mine - was it 3D Pets: PC Pup? If you skip to halfway through this video, to where he’s showing the dog part of the game, you can see the massive empty gloomy backyard. The credits screen has weird sinister music and the dog can DIE, which I didn’t remember at all! https://youtu.be/JlsuGnycnVo

:waycool: YES! That's it, thank you! I totally played Splat the Cat too but completely forgot about it. The video made me laugh like crazy, that game was :wtf:

I also didn't remember them dying. Shrinking and disappearing doesn't make that any less disturbing. And they came out of eggs? Glad to know it was way weirder than I thought it was! Petz was super high quality and wholesome in comparison.

Doctor Eckhart fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 11, 2020

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

precision posted:

This has been bugging me for 15 years or more, and yes I asked about it in NMD.

The main melody riff in this song:

https://youtu.be/dv7vWV-uNMc

Any chance it could be Pulp - Common People? Not exactly the same but that’s what it makes me think of.

And another one from me. Would have been in the mid-90s, I saw a cartoon in Portugal. There was an evil witch or wizard who was stealing people’s faces, they were standing in front of a wall where the faces were displayed. Someone fell face first into a puddle and that was (one of) the way(s) the faces were stolen. People were just walking around with completely featureless faces. I think the protagonists were two brothers, one or both might have been blond and they had round faces. I get the impression it was a series rather than a movie, although I don’t remember the ending so I may have only seen part of it. Wholly possible that it could have been produced in another country and dubbed into Portuguese.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I remember some skit or something that my brother showed me that was this song about Doc Martens and racial integration. I believe it was parodying their association with skinheads, but it was 15-20 years ago and I apologize if someone knows what it is and it was done in bad taste.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This has been bugging me for years. It was a comedy sketch from the 90’s, I thought MadTV but I watched just about every sketch show at the time and lots of MadTV searches have showed nothing.

It was a Jane Austen parody, shot at least partially on location, and out of nowhere one of the characters was a dude playing Larry Flynn, complete with wheelchair.

I remember WTFing at the time but enjoying it.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Mammal Sauce posted:

I remember some skit or something that my brother showed me that was this song about Doc Martens and racial integration. I believe it was parodying their association with skinheads, but it was 15-20 years ago and I apologize if someone knows what it is and it was done in bad taste.

Was it from The Young Ones?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eq8TOiqkCM

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Remulak posted:

This has been bugging me for years. It was a comedy sketch from the 90’s, I thought MadTV but I watched just about every sketch show at the time and lots of MadTV searches have showed nothing.

It was a Jane Austen parody, shot at least partially on location, and out of nowhere one of the characters was a dude playing Larry Flynn, complete with wheelchair.

I remember WTFing at the time but enjoying it.

Is this it?

https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/10294/Mad-TV-Tripple-XXX-Files/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Remulak posted:

Season 2 Episode 21.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Nope

FilthyImp posted:

Season 2 Episode 21.

Yep. Jane Austen's Tea & A. drat.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
At the end of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, ep 2. Right after Amanda, the hallucinating sister flips off the Rowdy 8 stalker van while playing the drums in the garage, the credits roll and they play a different credits song. I really liked it, it was all triumphant and chiptune sounding. I've searched high and low but can't find it on anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doctor Eckhart posted:

Any chance it could be Pulp - Common People? Not exactly the same but that’s what it makes me think of.

Definite similarity yeah but I'm thinking of a song from the 60s or even 50s

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Zero chance that anyone has access to the footage, but years ago, maybe 15 or so, I saw something amazing. Flipping through channels on TV, my husband and I stumbled across a public access show featuring a guy in a full Darth Vader costume, on roller skates, dancing to a disco version of the Star Wars theme. It was strangely mesmerizing. Love to find out WTF gave someone that idea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Domus posted:

Zero chance that anyone has access to the footage, but years ago, maybe 15 or so, I saw something amazing. Flipping through channels on TV, my husband and I stumbled across a public access show featuring a guy in a full Darth Vader costume, on roller skates, dancing to a disco version of the Star Wars theme. It was strangely mesmerizing. Love to find out WTF gave someone that idea.

Oh gently caress, that reminds me of another one!

Around 96 I was at a buddy's house with a bunch of people and we were all drunk and stoned when he puts on this VHS tape that he had found in a yard sale.

On it was this completely loving bizarre home movie made by people living in a trailer where they re enacted the entire movie Star Wars. Audio was missing and (probably) someone else had put a really dark industrial soundtrack to it that made the whole thing even more strange. Please tell me someone else has seen this via internet tape trading

And speaking of tape trading, another buddy 10 years ago had traded online for a VHS that was a metal band performing at a prom for retarded/special needs kids. The kids were all dancing and rocking out and having a great time and the band was actually pretty good.

I recall at a couple points the chaperones tried to calm the kids down and the band was like "come on they're just having fun". There were a lot of little moments the filmmaker captured like two of the kids shyly trying to hold hands.

Edit: should have known the second one was on youtube, but it's just a short clip, not the whole thing:

https://youtu.be/CUgOIFN-0Y0

precision fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

precision posted:

Definite similarity yeah but I'm thinking of a song from the 60s or even 50s

Might be even further off, but perhaps:

The Beatles - Dear Prudence

Or