Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Been seeing these on Adam Koford's Twitter. This one seemed politicalish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

GW puts a lot of effort into reminding people how incredibly poo poo everything is in 40K for absolutely everyone involved but it doesn't take.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

How is it that all the conservative cartoonists seem to have the absolute worst takes on every single topic? You’d think even a gimme like “son of the Queen wants to spend less time dealing with lovely journos” which doesn’t need any commentary beyond “cool” would be something they could manage, but no

The conservative cartoonists are (or work with and are friends with) the lovely journos. And they haven't forgiven Harry for marrying someone's who's foreign and part-black.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Eulogistics posted:

I mean, the Emperor was actually a superbeing, he didn't just claim to be one. He was a genius scientist, politician and general, and he wanted humanity to be the very best it could be by discarding all the old superstitions and following his leadership. He actively didn't want people worshipping him like a god; one of the great ironies of the Imperium in 40k is that it's everything that Emperor didn't want it to be. He just...wasn't a very good father to his sons sometimes.

This is an understatement. The entirety of the Horus Heresy is about the Emperor creating 20 flawless demi-gods in his image and half of them fall to evil because of various petty, but very human, reasons all stemming from the Emperor's own very human flaw of being a bad father.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Neo_Crimson posted:

This is an understatement. The entirety of the Horus Heresy is about the Emperor creating 20 flawless demi-gods in his image and half of them fall to evil because of various petty, but very human, reasons all stemming from the Emperor's own very human flaw of being a bad father.

Besides that isn't the Emperor pretty terrible himself in that he doesn't believe in peaceful coexistence with the various Xenos? Weren't those wars before the Horus Heresy basically crusades?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The Horus Heresy books are filled with examples where the empire encounters intelligent non-belligerent races but then the narrative makes up a misunderstanding so the emperium can genocide them in semi-good conscience.

The Chaos gods also draws power from worship so the emperor kept humanity and his primarchs wholly ignorant of them to lessen their power. Which meant the chaos gods could then catch the primarchs unprepared.

I think Tzeentch pretended to be some rando low level demon that Magnus then "defeated" and demanded power from. Tzeentch then scrambled his poo poo as Magus willingly accepted his gift while Magus assumed he got it no-strings-attached.

Katt fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 11, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I prefer the Horsey Heresy myself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I prefer the Horsey Heresy myself.
Draws smoking hot men discussing the need for humane solutions for Seattle’s homeless population.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OptimusShr posted:

One important thing to note is that the Imperium of Man is higly xenophobic and thinks the only good non human race is a dead non human race.

I thought they were OK with the Squats?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jedit posted:

I thought they were OK with the Squats?

Humans that mutated into separate "abhuman" races either through science or planetary climate are accepted in the Imperium.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Imperium is also ridiculously hypocritical, telling people to fear and report mutants while using mutants like Ogryn in their military operations. And honestly, Space Marines are heavily altered during their “training” that what the hell are they if not mutants?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Katt posted:

Humans that mutated into separate "abhuman" races either through science or planetary climate are accepted in the Imperium.

Eeeeh...

And squats wernt abhumans, they were a separate species I thought

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

Eeeeh...

Squat wiki page says they're abhumans in like the second line.

They were humans who lived on a planet with powerful gravity forces that made them short and stocky.

Ogryn and Ratlings are also accepted. Ratlings are also canon unlike squats! :v:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Katt posted:

GW puts a lot of effort into reminding people how incredibly poo poo everything is in 40K for absolutely everyone involved but it doesn't take.

I'm not too engaged with the fiction of 40k but my understanding is that some of the authors play it a little more straight, like this:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

Eeeeh...

Humans genetically modified to live comfortably on high-gravity worlds that lost contact with the rest of mankind for awhile when everything hit the fan because space elves hate-hosed a god of excess pleasure into existence, if I remember correctly.

Also, the setting also had a seperate empire of humanity that got around the whole "Chaos gods will gently caress you over 14 ways from Sunday" thing by educating their population on the Chaos Gods, the dangers associated with the Chaos Gods, how to exist safely without risking drawing the attention of the Chaos Gods, and in general treated the Chaos Gods as we deal with STDs, through education and protection. And then the Imperium of Man did their best impersonation of bible thumpers in the states and wiped out the civilization.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Randalor posted:

Humans genetically modified to live comfortably on high-gravity worlds that lost contact with the rest of mankind for awhile when everything hit the fan because space elves hate-hosed a god of excess pleasure into existence, if I remember correctly.

Also, the setting also had a seperate empire of humanity that got around the whole "Chaos gods will gently caress you over 14 ways from Sunday" thing by educating their population on the Chaos Gods, the dangers associated with the Chaos Gods, how to exist safely without risking drawing the attention of the Chaos Gods, and in general treated the Chaos Gods as we deal with STDs, through education and protection. And then the Imperium of Man did their best impersonation of bible thumpers in the states and wiped out the civilization.

I'm not even convinced that education is the solution. Finding out that Satan is real and gets your soul when you die regardless. But that through service in life you can buy yourself a comfortable afterlive or even eternal life (though one in conflict) is probably not the best way to keep down heresy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pants Donkey posted:

The Imperium is also ridiculously hypocritical, telling people to fear and report mutants while using mutants like Ogryn in their military operations. And honestly, Space Marines are heavily altered during their “training” that what the hell are they if not mutants?

people should fear the imperium's military units, and report any rogue unit wandering away from their barracks, so it's not hypocritical

The biggest problem of the WH40K setting is that the extremely fascist dystopian empire is kind of the least bad faction around, what with the rest being literal demons, chaos-corrupted decadent space melniboneans, Alien-style xenomorphs, immortal undead robots driven only by the desire to extinguish all life, and spore orks. So there's this whole setup where the fanatical military dictatorship is justified as being necessary for humankind's survival. Is it a surprise that it appeals to chuds?

Well there's the Tau who look better than the rest, not actively genocidal at least, but it's implied they're just more subtle about their subjugation method.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You can tell that all the 40k factions are the worst because there's no Blood Bowl 40k. No room for a timeline where they play ball.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wizzardstaff posted:

I'm not too engaged with the fiction of 40k but my understanding is that some of the authors play it a little more straight, like this:

I once saw a guy get disqualified from a tournament because he tried to field an Imperial Guard army that had poo poo like swastikas and the German eagle painted on the tanks and banners. He acted like a whiny little bitch when they told him to piss off.

E: This was around 95, at the height of Neo-Nazism in Scandinavia.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gently caress Nazis.

And now, back to political cartoons I think?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We just had a programming discussion, I thought we were limited to one nerd derail per week max

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Well, while were at it. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

That is all.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

gently caress Nazis.

And now, back to political cartoons I think?

eh? eh? eh?

Bet you're feeling silly now stupid Euros for not joining in on this Iraq planting so you could harvest some of that sweet sweet Iraq war corn.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Katt posted:

eh? eh? eh?

Bet you're feeling silly now stupid Euros for not joining in on this Iraq planting so you could harvest some of that sweet sweet Iraq war corn.

What exactly is the corn supposed to symbolize anyway?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What exactly is the corn supposed to symbolize anyway?

I asked the author and he said he doesn't remember.

I can only assume a prosperous Iraq democracy at the head of a peaceful and grateful middle east. Showering the US in favorable trade deals and oil.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Katt posted:

I can only assume a prosperous Iraq democracy at the head of a peaceful and grateful middle east. Showering the US in favorable trade deals and oil.

gently caress, that made me guffaw loud enough to wake the wife.

"Doesn't remember"
Well, the war itself is old enough to be drafted, so I guess a little forgetting is reasonable

poo poo, that's funnier than the cartoons could hope to be xD

Edit: could we maybe discuss not posting prickly city except when they actually say so etching? Reading those is legit bad for my health

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 11, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Katt posted:

Did he at least show some sign of embarrassment?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I thought the normal Eldar, as in not the Slaanesh cultist Eldar raiders, were kind of isolationist dicks but at least not fascists...though GW made the Tau brainwashing cultists so it could just be everything sucks and is grim dark..

E-sorry for re-starting a derail that was over and done with...gently caress

An insane mind fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 11, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Did he at least show some sign of embarrassment?

Doesn't Cagle draw both lefty and righty cartoons because he doesn't care about ideology, he just wants to sell toons?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

An insane mind posted:

I thought the normal Eldar, as in not the Slaanesh cultist Eldar raiders, were kind of isolationist dicks but at least not fascists...though GW made the Tau brainwashing cultists so it could just be everything sucks and is grim dark..

E-sorry for re-starting a derail that was over and done with...gently caress

Everyone but the Tau is supposed to be in decline and I chose to believe it's because they're the only ones focused on a greater good.
E: the only fluff I read was the core book and a hint of some codicies a few editions back. Mainly I thought the tanks were cool but everyone I played with seemed too into the space Nazis so I kinda dropped it.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 11, 2020

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

Everyone but the Tau is supposed to be in decline and I chose to believe it's because they're the only ones focused on a greater good.

The Orks are on the rise, and the Great Rift is actually a massive strategic weakness for the Forces of Chaos. Surrounded now on all sides by a resurgent Imperium and a very pissed off Ghazzy, I'd say that the future actually looks bright if the Girlyman continues to ascend.

Heck, Big E might even wake.

WAIT NO.

CARTOONS. FEED ME A STRAY CAT

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BrotherJayne posted:

The Orks are on the rise, and the Great Rift is actually a massive strategic weakness for the Forces of Chaos. Surrounded now on all sides by a resurgent Imperium and a very pissed off Ghazzy, I'd say that the future actually looks bright if the Girlyman continues to ascend.

Heck, Big E might even wake.

WAIT NO.

CARTOONS. FEED ME A STRAY CAT
Trap sprung, heretic.
:commissar:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Selachian posted:

Doesn't Cagle draw both lefty and righty cartoons because he doesn't care about ideology, he just wants to sell toons?

Cagle is pretty consistently anti-Trump from what I've seen. Sometimes from a neocon point of view, sometimes from a liberal point of view.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Harry, Meghan and the Iran crisis – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision to step back from public life has provoked vitriolic attacks on the couple and hyperbolic predictions of what it could mean for the monarchy"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Arcimboldo.

The i paper:

Times:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... The Queen's fallout with Prince Harry

Stephen Collins:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katt posted:

Isn't it slightly less poo poo for the Orkz, who are objectively the heroes of the story by the metric of being the least bigoted assholes?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You can tell that all the 40k factions are the worst because there's no Blood Bowl 40k. No room for a timeline where they play ball.

This is also correct. Praise Nuffle.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 11, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

Isn't it slightly less poo poo for the Orkz, who are objectively the heroes of the story by the metric of being the least bigoted assholes?

Orkz are happy because all they want to do is fight and kill.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Hunt11 posted:

Orkz are happy because all they want to do is fight and kill.

Eldar philosopher Uthan the Perverse posted:

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

:beaten.