Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

raditts posted:

How long has it been since Android TV first became a thing? Because the amazing way they bungled the gently caress out of that despite being ahead of apple by several years was the first time I noticed cracks in the facade.
I'm still kind of annoyed at how massively they hosed up there when they could have been the Switch way before the Switch was a thing. (Or hell, at the very least, a competent version of the ouya.)

The mobile / startup space of technology is full of companies with the "hare" mentality. They need to overwork people to create prototypes that they sell to VCs who throw money so that they can do a global launch. Too bad that only a few things in mobile space really stick around and when they don't do the products get unceremoniously shuttered instead of being fixed the right amount to get understood and used (I can also put the blame on the fact that most products are not sold but companies will just sell the users metrics or ads spaces).

Android TVs worst competition comes from chromecast. Why should I make an Android TV version of Mediaset Play when people just can use the Android version and push the chromecast button in the app I already released to see my videos on TV?

In the case of "unconsoles" and cheap gaming platforms I have seen tons of blog posts from Techcrunch and Venturebeat just promising that cheap consoles were going to come and destroy the PlayStation, that Apple and Google where the new Nintendo. The truth however is that there are too many factors against that.

Mobile gaming is a market for lemons, you won't spend money up front for games because there are too many games with a zero $ starting price tag that will be shown first on those marketplaces and people just go and play those instead of spending money on 60$ games (hate the usual Activision EA Ubisoft title but even poo poo like anthem has more to do for that money than a fremium mobile game).

In second place people with the idea of playing real games will just buy a platform with an established base of tolerable games already, hell even if Sony abandoned the PlayStation Vita to just focus on a "make or break" attempt on staying alive with the Ps4, indie developers sold sold tons of games on it. If you want to play video games you will just use the platform that allows you to play them with the best controllers and which will allow you to matchmakers with friends or enemies who already have that platform. Pc, Ps4, Xbox or the Switch. The first joypad from Google was stadia but it does not double as a joypad for LOCAL Chrome or Android games, I understand why but that is really a waste. And mind you there have been tons of Android based gaming platforms announced or delivered (the one from bluestack, the one from madcatz, the ouya, the one from Nvidia that was paired with the shield) or even services (hatch from Rovio, which is quite good but pointless unless you are all in for mobile games).

To make this reasoning even more complicated the market sometimes will refuse the cheaper options if spending a bit more seems that it will give you a lot more: in the 80's the Commodore 16 failed even if it was a cheaper option than the Commodore 64 because the C64 had a ton more software, the same thing happen ed with the PSTV, which was the 99$ screen less version of the PsVita (people just skipped that for the Ps4, also because the PSTV had a moronic whitelist system which prevented you from playing most of the software even when it didn't make sense to keep it off the console).

But all of the Android based gaming platform also just failed because again the companies going for the fremium market just ignored how much a 400$ console or a 60$ title can let you buy in talent for creating it or advertisement to sell it. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are "turtles" they want to be sure that when they arrive there is a loving goddamn finish line, they won't just chase the idea of the moment. How many execs Google must fire just to let Stadia be a thing that is still around in 20, 30 and 40 years? What are the loving chances that it will happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

...! posted:

Stadadian having doubts

Gee I wonder if stadia isn't getting mentioned for future releases because it's uncertain how the progress of that porting is going or if they'll even release those games at all.

How many indie games (especially via kickstarter) said they were gonna be in wiiu and decided not to be?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
they have relaunched Android TV about three times so far, once branded as Google TV (unrelated to the earlier Android-based product called 'Google TV', now dead), and it's still around in zombie form in the form of lots of sketchy cheap set top boxes you can find on Alibaba

Google has attempted to make games platforms quite a few times, and Android gaming succeeds mostly in spite of them trying. anybody else remember the Google+ Games? or Google Play Games? or Chrome Web Store Games, all of them now dead?

remember when you were going to Embrace your inner gaming hero with Gamer ID? (now dead afaict)

i think any serious game developer would have been fine with Google investing the money they poured into Stadia, into making their other five gaming platforms not suck instead.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why didn’t we give stadia a chance? Why didn’t we just have a little bit of hope for the future of gaming?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Open the Stadia's DevKit and do monthly GameJams !

Stadia is really an awesome tech ready to be more opened to the world.

You have a fully integrated devkit for Unity, Unreal Engine and co... but actually, to apply to this devkit it's not that easy.
It's easy to develop on it without have to do testings on plenty of devices. If it works on Stadia, then it works on Stadia!
Gamers just have to hit play button to test a game without downloading anything. Try a game is very easy...
So one idea to have a lot of content for Pro users is to open the devkit to every indies and let them publish some content easily.

But let's go further : why not organise big GameJams to create proof of concept of the new features ?

My idea is that every month Google organize one worldwide competition during one week (or another periodic cycle). Then Google's Editor team do a first fast ranking of the participant's creations. top 10 games are published to PRO users that vote for their favorite. The victorious one stay to catalog.

This will produce trash and good results but I'm convinced that this will show the incredible potential of Stadia and bring some exclusive and sometimes very fun content.

What a good idea.

jokes posted:

Why didn’t we give stadia a chance? Why didn’t we just have a little bit of hope for the future of gaming?

We've failed Stadia and ourselves. In committing the original sin of gaming we've doomed us all.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Wait, you're telling me that tech news websites aren't reporting on the hot new tech that everybody wan---

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

limaCAT posted:

In second place people with the idea of playing real games will just buy a platform with an established base of tolerable games already, hell even if Sony abandoned the PlayStation Vita to just focus on a "make or break" attempt on staying alive with the Ps4, indie developers sold sold tons of games on it. If you want to play video games you will just use the platform that allows you to play them with the best controllers and which will allow you to matchmakers with friends or enemies who already have that platform. Pc, Ps4, Xbox or the Switch. The first joypad from Google was stadia but it does not double as a joypad for LOCAL Chrome or Android games, I understand why but that is really a waste. And mind you there have been tons of Android based gaming platforms announced or delivered (the one from bluestack, the one from madcatz, the ouya, the one from Nvidia that was paired with the shield) or even services (hatch from Rovio, which is quite good but pointless unless you are all in for mobile games).

Android's first controller was for the Nexus Player, I had one because they sent me one when I signed up to get one of the dev models about a year or so before the Nexus Player came out. (Also, Xbox 360 / Xbone / pretty much any generic Bluetooth controller worked with Androids even before that.)

It really seemed like they were poised to use that as their media / gaming platform to bridge the gap between mobile and console space as they also made a layout standard for TVs to go along with it. And it was really goddamn cool for the couple of games that actually implemented it, because since it was a shared ecosystem, you only had to buy a game once and could play it on your TV box with your controller, save, then start your game up on your phone / tablet and pick up where you left off with touch controls. (The Android ports of Adventures of Mana and the GTA games were a good example of this, there were some others that I can't think of at the moment). Keep in mind that this was a full three years before the Switch was released, nobody even knew it as the NX at that point.

As for the assertion that people would buy consoles with an established library instead, you're kinda ignoring the fact that Android did have an established library and that there are a significant number of people who play mobile games. Maybe most of those are just idle timewasters, but there was enough of a market for Square to make (and continue to make) a significant number of ports and a few originals as well at a non-free to play price point. Sure it wouldn't have AAA games that would stack up next to the PS4 or Xbone, but aside from Nintendo's first party juggernauts (which certainly give them a leg up but I don't feel is necessarily a requirement), the switch doesn't attempt to, and has the same indie appeal as mobile platforms, and runs on mobile hardware so it's not like being successful there would be a technological hurdle.

I've written way more words about this than I wanted to, but basically I'm not saying that it would have been a guaranteed success, but it was certainly the one case where all the pieces were there to make it one, had they not deliberately refused to give Nexus Player any advertisement whatsoever and thrown it in the trash less than a year after release. It's just really disappointing more than anything else.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 11, 2020

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Suspicious Dish posted:

they have relaunched Android TV about three times so far, once branded as Google TV (unrelated to the earlier Android-based product called 'Google TV', now dead), and it's still around in zombie form in the form of lots of sketchy cheap set top boxes you can find on Alibaba

Google has attempted to make games platforms quite a few times, and Android gaming succeeds mostly in spite of them trying. anybody else remember the Google+ Games? or Google Play Games? or Chrome Web Store Games, all of them now dead?

remember when you were going to Embrace your inner gaming hero with Gamer ID? (now dead afaict)

i think any serious game developer would have been fine with Google investing the money they poured into Stadia, into making their other five gaming platforms not suck instead.

This guy. This guy fuckin gets it.
(Google TV was hot trash though, that thing had no future because it wasn't even compatible with regular Android for the most part)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ErrEff posted:

Gods & Monsters, jeez. I'd forgotten about this game, much like Ubisoft. Let's recap: It had less than a minute's worth of footage at E3 in June, showing absolutely nothing of interest. We still know zero about it other than that it's open world, has a customizable character, "cartoony, story book" graphics and that it'll supposedly play somewhat like AC:Odyssey. Originally slated for February 2020, a few months after the announcement it got moved to "2020" and there's been zero news on it since. It's obviously in a bad spot because normally Ubisoft would've plastered the media with PR coverage like they always do, except when they send games out to die. There's a bunch of games in a Ubisoft landfill that fit this pattern.

Basically everything else known that is upcoming from Ubisoft has had more news than this game, even BG&E2.

Ubisoft did a big rethink after the Breakpoint catastrophe. They pushed every game back and spending time and money trying to fix existing problem-games and making sure upcoming games don't also need years of post-release work just to get to a decent state.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

raditts posted:

but aside from Nintendo's first party juggernauts (which certainly give them a leg up but I don't feel is necessarily a requirement)

this is a galaxy brain take

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

raditts posted:

I've written way more words about this than I wanted to

They are good words, at least. I could throw in my own words but I'd mostly be regurgitating the "phone games are mostly crap" and "Google's tendency to give up really fast has an impact on consumer confidence" things.

For my part, I think the phone is a perfectly fine platform for games, it's just that for a lot of it, I'd rather have a controller, and if I'm going to carry one, why not carry an actual game system with a bigger variety of games that are, on average, worth the time it takes to play them? And for ones that don't need controllers like visual novels and such, I'd rather play that on a nice big monitor where I can admire the art properly, instead of loving around with my relatively small phone.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
we shipped console-quality games on Android. lots of people downloaded them, the first free episode at least. Google continually hosed us over with their crazy requirements, new storefronts, bizarre games platform migrations, and absolutely terrible dev support. i could go into the beep boop computer insanity but basically Google seemed to be trying as hard as it could to generally piss serious game devs off.

we once missed a storefront feature because they were angry that we didnt turn the top bar a different unique color for each game we had. even though the app is full screen so you never see that top bar in-game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telltalegames.walkingdead100

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Stadians be all like

https://youtu.be/dj9NJZUomjQ

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

That game jam post reminds me that I’m still confused as to what “features” a developer is supposed to highlight whenever that discussion comes up on r\Stadia. Streaming games, ideally, are supposed to provide convenience and a low upfront cost. There’s not much going on there that makes it unique other than the streaming technology itself.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Feature: Doesn’t work when internet is down, in hotels, on airplanes, or in airports.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
honestly even better than always online DRM. good internet only DRM

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Also depending on your ISP you may have to pay extra money every month to play your Stadia games

What kind of idiot would just “buy a Switch” when they would be leaving all these incredible features behind!?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Stux posted:

this is a galaxy brain take

the ps4/bone era has taught us all that Exclusives Matter A Lot

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Ubisoft did a big rethink after the Breakpoint catastrophe. They pushed every game back and spending time and money trying to fix existing problem-games and making sure upcoming games don't also need years of post-release work just to get to a decent state.

Didn’t they say this after the Division 1 catastrophe?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

doingitwrong posted:

Didn’t they say this after the Division 1 catastrophe?

with div1 they delayed the DLC to fix it (because they could sell the DLC when it was fixed and people came back)

with div2 they didn't have a financial incentive of the DLC/season pass having actual content other people didn't get, so they've basically shelved it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

raditts posted:

It's kind of like a reverse Ouya, because while Ouya tried to solve the non-existent problem of "nobody plays games on their televisions sitting on their couch anymore" while a plethora of TV-connected consoles existed, Stadia attempts to solve the polar-opposite non-existent problem of "video game consoles keep people tethered a big screen in one area of their house" while mobile gaming, console streaming, Steam streaming, and the Nintendo Switch exist.

Granted it'll end up the same way though. Given the almost identical level of incompetence and failure to read the room, I'm almost surprised that we haven't seen Julie Uhrman rear her head on this one. Fingers crossed for a hilariously tone-deaf gross-out Stadia ad.

The problem Ouya claimed to solve was "independent developers can't put their games on a console device that hooks up to a TV". Thus the dev mode button and other dumb ideas.

That problem was somewhat real when they put up their kickstarter, mostly gone by the time they launched (for anyone who could hit a pretty modest quality barrier), and non-existent by the time they died.

Even if the big consoles hadn't opened up their digital stores to anyone with a pulse, the Ouya still wasn't a good idea. It turns out there isn't some untapped well of genius video game makers out there, unknown because Big Console is keeping them down. We now know there are more people making video games than people have time to play, and the main problem is the absolutely hobbesian competition to rise above all the other $20 titles.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mumbling posted:

That game jam post reminds me that I’m still confused as to what “features” a developer is supposed to highlight whenever that discussion comes up on r\Stadia. Streaming games, ideally, are supposed to provide convenience and a low upfront cost. There’s not much going on there that makes it unique other than the streaming technology itself.

Did you miss the many, many features Google promised that were only possible with The Power of The Cloud?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Contemporary with (and few years prior to) the Ouya, Xbox 360 had the Xbox Live Indie Games experiment, which was an early glimpse into Steam's unfiltered future.

In theory, XBLIG was meant to be a home for indie games where quality ones would shine through. Each one was peer-reviewed by other devs to ensure absolutely worthless stuff wouldn't make it through. Like Xbox Live Arcade but for really small indies.

Problem is, the peer review process didn't work and XBLIG quickly became a race to the bottom, filled with disposable genre clones and minimum viable product made in record time. You know those terrible Steam games filled with slideshows of anime babes and/or DAZ3D models and perhaps a jigsaw puzzle? Yeah, games like that and Minecraft/zombie-killing stuff was a large chunk of the XBLIG lineup long before Steam started accepting them.

Before XBLIG closed, someone thoughtfully did a video going through the store and showing every game's boxart. You can see it here - it's sorted by user rating so you can go to the end of the video to see the worst of the worst.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Curated storefronts are a double edged sword. The more scrutiny you apply, the more likely you'll get some false negatives, and things that deserve to get in don't. On the other hand, if you just throw out the notion of standards, then it's kind of hard for the game you put effort into to get noticed when it's swept off the New Arrivals page in two minutes by a flood of games that are "Breakout, but your prize is anime titties," or "a maze game made with a pre-alpha Wolfenstein engine but some of the walls have anime titties," or "a map tutorial with big-tittied Poser models dropped in," or "UnitZ Again." (That last one, at least, seems to have subsided -- instead now there's a flood of RPG Maker porn games.)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And yet there's also the weird anomalies on the PSN store like Life of Black Tiger, all the awful Gilson B. Pontes games, and the Demon Rush guy.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm not going to say there's no false positives either, obviously, as your examples highlight, but I think the fact that they're worth noting because they're exceptionally terrible for the platform instead of just being another piece of trash in a vast sea of trash, is why I think there needs to be at least some curation.

Fortunately, this is not a problem on Stadia, because it only has about a dozen games, and most of them are six months to a year old, so you already know if they're any good or not!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I imagine every time a tech company comes up with a genius new idea for a storefront that solves of every problem, there are brick and mortar retail industry professionals with their heads exploding similar to city planners when Elon Musk reinvents the subway.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's makes me wonder what is so great about Google nowadays, in regards to being a leader in the tech space. A decade ago, or longer, it seemed to be the place to be as an aspiring developer, managing to get employed being a sign of skill. Now we have to deal with that sort of stupid poo poo all over their products.

The only reason people join is salary.
I have a friend who ditched a 150k position for a 300k/yr post and is still at Google on 700.
Senior recruiters are on 500-700k, it's not just developers.

Go on the social media network blind and you'll see unanimously from entry to senior the only reason people are at Google is to collect cash, pad their 401k and take what they can. I can't believe they haven't imploded already, but from what I hear most people working there are planning for it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 12, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Stadia has no games, but at least it doesn't have

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
From looking at the trailer it looks like you just murder tons of generic German Troops and Hitler dressed as a priest so I don't think you play as a sexy Nazi girl. Also, there's payed DLC so she's naked.
All in all, this would be a great catch for Stevia.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

I have a good idea for games that don't have an English dub, like Shodown. You should incorporate Google Translate into such games. I know folks who like playing this way, but it'd be a good option.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LMAO I'd actually love it if Google did that. It'd be a fuckin hilarious mess

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

https://legendsoflocalization.com/funky-fantasy-iv/

There's no way that this could go terribly.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Contemporary with (and few years prior to) the Ouya, Xbox 360 had the Xbox Live Indie Games experiment, which was an early glimpse into Steam's unfiltered future.

In theory, XBLIG was meant to be a home for indie games where quality ones would shine through. Each one was peer-reviewed by other devs to ensure absolutely worthless stuff wouldn't make it through. Like Xbox Live Arcade but for really small indies.

Problem is, the peer review process didn't work and XBLIG quickly became a race to the bottom, filled with disposable genre clones and minimum viable product made in record time. You know those terrible Steam games filled with slideshows of anime babes and/or DAZ3D models and perhaps a jigsaw puzzle? Yeah, games like that and Minecraft/zombie-killing stuff was a large chunk of the XBLIG lineup long before Steam started accepting them.

Before XBLIG closed, someone thoughtfully did a video going through the store and showing every game's boxart. You can see it here - it's sorted by user rating so you can go to the end of the video to see the worst of the worst.

Weren’t a bunch of them just games that would make your controller vibrate so you could put it on your dick? Maybe Stadia should get into that market

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Stadia is the Andrew Yang of candidates. Their supporters are now thrilled that they've been left off the official slate of January 2020 activites are are convincing themselves this is a "good thing" for the brand.

"Now that the industry/party has ignored us we can really get to work on showing to people how great we are!"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I imagine every time a tech company comes up with a genius new idea for a storefront that solves of every problem, there are brick and mortar retail industry professionals with their heads exploding similar to city planners when Elon Musk reinvents the subway.

Ahh yes, the brick and mortar industry geniuses like Gamestop. They'd know how to fix this!

The finite size of brick and mortar meant that this issue never even came up. They didn't have shelf space to put Life of Black Tiger or Hentai Nazi, but they also didn't have a place to put Undertale or Stardew Valley. It was obvious to everyone that not every potential game could be sold, so nobody complained even though it meant that we missed out on a lot of potential great games. We also missed out on a lot of trash games, and a lot of deeply personal experience games that the press could call important and few people would play.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

So here I'm sitting on the toilet and took the wrong USB cable with me. The controller really needs to work over WiFi with every device, not only Chromecast. Now it's too late.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I saw that but decided it HAD to be parody.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FrostyPox posted:

LMAO I'd actually love it if Google did that. It'd be a fuckin hilarious mess
Amazon did exactly that.

quote:

If the rhythmoband is computerised, though, the words on it are most definitely not. Computer translation is not yet anywhere near good enough for such applications. When two Argentinian films were released on Amazon Prime’s video service in France with computer-translated French dialogue performed by auto-generated voices that made Siri and Alexa sound like Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep, they were greeted with derision and ridicule. Amazon explained embarrassedly that it was not responsible for the productions; the films have now been geoblocked and can no longer be watched in France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

Amazon did exactly that.

lol

Link?