Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently we don’t report him enough.

Holy gently caress, thought that was about me for a moment

esperterra posted:

For me, I'm a huge fan of the books and they did good by them. Very good for the most part, really.

I love the books! To be honest, I kinda fuckin' hate about 80% of the changes they made, but the pressures of budget and the urgency to get the thing stood up were paramount

Rhyno posted:

It's frustrating. I hate watched the first 4 seasons so I missed a lot but the end was so loving bad.

Lol, so, uh... what part... *did* you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrotherJayne posted:

Holy gently caress, thought that was about me for a moment

I love the books! To be honest, I kinda fuckin' hate about 80% of the changes they made, but the pressures of budget and the urgency to get the thing stood up were paramount

Lol, so, uh... what part... *did* you like?

Jamie Lannister's redemption arc was fun. Oberon. Tyrion.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Rhyno posted:

Jamie Lannister's redemption arc was fun. Oberon. Tyrion.

Oh I gotcha

Kinda like... picking diamonds from horse poop type stuff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is...

Precisely on the nose. drat.

Also I am still salty over how Berric's story got nerfed for Aria.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm salty how Lady Stoneheart's story got nerfed for Beric.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Get out of here with your book learnin

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I usually just scroll past Guy Mann, what did he ever say that's actually ban worthy? I mean, if we're gonna ban people for bad opinions there'd be nobody left

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cael posted:

All your Nanny talk made me watch just a YouTube complication of Niles’s burns on CC, and I’m angry it’s not streaming in the US. It weirds me out that I have such vivid memories of watching it despite being a teenager not in its target demographic at all, and no clear memory of doing the actual sit down watching.

It was a family show so you were? I remember liking it in my teens.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's def a sitcom for all ages. I remember the reruns would always play before school. Most of the writing and jokes tho are for an older audience, been enjoying the show more than ever in my trip down memory lane.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
god

dammmmn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zSHExPsFA

the casting

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I usually just scroll past Guy Mann, what did he ever say that's actually ban worthy? I mean, if we're gonna ban people for bad opinions there'd be nobody left

It's usually just annoying contrarian bullshit, he's had at least three accounts (...Of Science!, Sleeveless, and Guy Mann, and he went back to Sleeveless after the Guy Mann one ate a ban). It's kind of annoying because when they drop the act they're not awful, and have some interesting things to say, but go look at their rap sheet for some links to some really annoying and tasteless poo poo and run posts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, of science, sleeveless and guy mann are all the same person????

How do you know? I don't doubt it, just wondering

I seem to remember Sleeveless being one of those posters who would bag on you even if you agree with them

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s hosed up if true.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

How do you know? I don't doubt it, just wondering

I seem to remember Sleeveless being one of those posters who would bag on you even if you agree with them

The mods called out sleeveless as Guy Mann on their rap sheet, and I don’t remember who told me about the Of Science thing but their last post was 12/25/14 which is also Sleeveless’s regdate, so it checks out.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I saw the first episode of Netflix's Dracula and wow it's bad. Now and then it'll find comfortable footing in grotesque and comically dumb schlock, but mostly it just misses its mark.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

anatomi posted:

I saw the first episode of Netflix's Dracula and wow it's bad. Now and then it'll find comfortable footing in grotesque and comically dumb schlock, but mostly it just misses its mark.

I mean, look who wrote it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I mean, look who wrote it

Moffat can write great stuff, he just desperately needs a boss. When he's in charge of something his dumb side runs wild since no one is telling him "no, that's stupid, stop".

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

The latest episode of Doctor Who in the BBC America AppleTV app has the closed captions embedded and can’t turn them off... I think my wife is going to have a conniption lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Embedded closed captions are the literal worst

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

esperterra posted:

I'm salty how Lady Stoneheart's story got nerfed for Beric.

Lady Stoneheart was a wack character though. If anything, we should mourn the loss of Strong Belwas.

Real talk, I feel like Stoneheart undercut the Red Wedding's impact since even if she's barely Cat, bringing a dead character back so soon (narratively speaking) felt off to me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Completely forgot Medical Police is out now. Know what I'm watching tonight!

Croatoan posted:

So I know I'm months late but I finally got around to watching season 5 of Black Mirror. What a fart of a season. I literally forgot what the plot to Smithereens was just a few hours after I watched it because it was just that forgettable.

Until I read this, I had also forgotten that Black Mirror had a new season out. I think really not digging season 4 after the first episode kind of killed it for me. Bandersnatch was fun enough but after spending a day watch/playing it I didn't really feel the need to do it over again.

Rhyno posted:

Christopher Heyerdall rules. They let him grow his hair back for season 4!

He's the only thing I remember about Hell on Wheels.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

You bastard: my wife's been complaining about this nonstop since you posted it! :argh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You bastard: my wife's been complaining about this nonstop since you posted it! :argh:

Your wife reads your TVIV career?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So he's already done with no fanfare? He got out without being killed off?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why the hell did I wait this long to watch Leftovers S3 drat

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

Why the hell did I wait this long to watch Leftovers S3 drat

It's a loving good one that's for sure. I think I need a rewatch.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ah yes, one of the most dated things about this show: a Hugh Grant cameo in an episode involving a taping of The Rosie O'Donnell Show.

e: Trump is also in this episode. this is one of the most 90s things to exist tbh

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 12, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

Mods can check either the IP address or email of user accounts (maybe both? I forget)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rhyno posted:

Christopher Heyerdall rules.

He was great in Sanctuary, I might just check out Van Helsing knowing he is in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was good in Sanctuary! I forgot about that! I'm always delighted to see him pop up. He's basically the third pillar of "recognizable Canadian actors" along with Roger Cross and Ryan Robbins.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Just finished episode 7 of Jett. I mostly lurk here but no one I know has even heard of this show and I had to find a place to say something about it. Sweet gently caress this show is something else. It starts out seeming like a fairly simple thing and by ep 7 it’s this pretty singular hybrid of genres and aesthetics.

Does anyone if the score for the show is available anywhere?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nemesis_hub posted:

Just finished episode 7 of Jett. I mostly lurk here but no one I know has even heard of this show and I had to find a place to say something about it. Sweet gently caress this show is something else. It starts out seeming like a fairly simple thing and by ep 7 it’s this pretty singular hybrid of genres and aesthetics.

Does anyone if the score for the show is available anywhere?

Not yet, but theres a list of the tracks they used. I've been keeping an eye out. Might be time to bend cinemaxs ear on twitter.

https://www.what-song.com/Tvshow/100446/Jett

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Better to bend their ear for a season 2. Cinemax is the worst at renewing shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Better to bend their ear for a season 2. Cinemax is the worst at renewing shows.

Strike Back and Banshee say otherwise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is a show coming to netflix that might intrigue y'all(this is apparently the page it's supposed to be on, though right now it's blank). It's called Dorohedoro, and it's an adaptation of a manga that is one of the more unique series and settings I've encountered, anime or no. It's just so loving WEIRD, and the rules of its world especially so. It's filthy, not a single surface in the entire series is free from dirt, dings, dents, damage, grime, chips, rust, mold, etc. It's horrifically, grotesquely, ludicrously, comically violent. It's very silly and goofy, juxtaposed against the regular occurrence of horrible death, or sometimes alongside those.

It's set in a dilapidated semimodern city, "Hole", where the denizens are regularly abducted and experimented upon by sorcerers. One such unlucky person, Kaiman, had his head replaced by a lizard's, and his memories stolen. To regain them, he bites the heads of sorcerers he catches and a mysterious man who lives in the back of his throat judges whether they were involved or not. If not, then he kills them. He spends most of his time with Nikaido, the owner of the grungy diner Hungry Bug, and part-time sorcerer hunter. She's the lady in the OP of the show, which is weird, makes little to no sense to someone who has not read the series, and yet is utterly perfect when you ask anyone who has. I hope you like gyoza!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_YJde1yps&hd=1

Here's a teaser of the first couple minutes of the show subbed, I believe english Netflix will be uploading the whole thing(maybe dubbed?) when the season has fully aired. which seems like a weird way to do it, to me, instead of just airing them as they come out in Japan, but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BrrHlda25E&hd=1

It is a wild, surreal series where basically everyone is a mass murderer clown idiot because that's just the sort of world they live in, almost all the major characters are super fun and entertaining despite them all essentially being serial killers. I watched the raw of the first episode and it looks to be extremely faithful to the original manga, and the amount of detail and effort put in to make sure absolutely everything is as run-down and dirty as possible is kind of staggering. The character CGI models look pretty good most of the time, too, though there are some off moments.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Father Dougal is back solving murders and as formulaic as it its, I still enjoy Death In Paradise. 3 different leads over 9 years with basically the exact same schtick seems like it'd suck but nahh. I wonder if I am an old now and should watch CBS.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

esperterra posted:

Ah yes, one of the most dated things about this show: a Hugh Grant cameo in an episode involving a taping of The Rosie O'Donnell Show.

e: Trump is also in this episode. this is one of the most 90s things to exist tbh

You forgot the Roger Clinton guest appearance.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hell he's a recurring character who lives next door.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Captain Invictus posted:

There is a show coming to netflix that might intrigue y'all(this is apparently the page it's supposed to be on, though right now it's blank). It's called Dorohedoro, and it's an adaptation of a manga that is one of the more unique series and settings I've encountered, anime or no. It's just so loving WEIRD, and the rules of its world especially so. It's filthy, not a single surface in the entire series is free from dirt, dings, dents, damage, grime, chips, rust, mold, etc. It's horrifically, grotesquely, ludicrously, comically violent. It's very silly and goofy, juxtaposed against the regular occurrence of horrible death, or sometimes alongside those.

It's set in a dilapidated semimodern city, "Hole", where the denizens are regularly abducted and experimented upon by sorcerers. One such unlucky person, Kaiman, had his head replaced by a lizard's, and his memories stolen. To regain them, he bites the heads of sorcerers he catches and a mysterious man who lives in the back of his throat judges whether they were involved or not. If not, then he kills them. He spends most of his time with Nikaido, the owner of the grungy diner Hungry Bug, and part-time sorcerer hunter. She's the lady in the OP of the show, which is weird, makes little to no sense to someone who has not read the series, and yet is utterly perfect when you ask anyone who has. I hope you like gyoza!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_YJde1yps&hd=1

Here's a teaser of the first couple minutes of the show subbed, I believe english Netflix will be uploading the whole thing(maybe dubbed?) when the season has fully aired. which seems like a weird way to do it, to me, instead of just airing them as they come out in Japan, but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BrrHlda25E&hd=1

It is a wild, surreal series where basically everyone is a mass murderer clown idiot because that's just the sort of world they live in, almost all the major characters are super fun and entertaining despite them all essentially being serial killers. I watched the raw of the first episode and it looks to be extremely faithful to the original manga, and the amount of detail and effort put in to make sure absolutely everything is as run-down and dirty as possible is kind of staggering. The character CGI models look pretty good most of the time, too, though there are some off moments.

Cap, your on thin ice bringing anime to tvland.

Everyone should watch Carole and Tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sumo posted:

The latest episode of Doctor Who in the BBC America AppleTV app has the closed captions embedded and can’t turn them off... I think my wife is going to have a conniption lol
HBO Nordic had embedded subtitles for GoT, which meant that it was almost impossible to understand what the dothraki was saying because it was to two different subtitles overlapping each other.