Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

COOL CORN posted:

Why would you not spoil a plot point like that?

Because they are clearly not the main character and it would be super obvious to anyone watching that they will die? Because people might want to see this person die because of their real life deeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The movie is very unconventional in how it plays out. And, also, that's silly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i was talking about cthulu

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
cthul-WHO?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
We really don't need a movie like Underwater while we live in a world with The Abyss.

It's just redundant.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

We really don't need a movie like Underwater while we live in a world with The Abyss.

It's just redundant.

Underwater is almost nothing like The Abyss, and also better. It has much more in common with Gravity, though the style is very distinct.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Chucky series ordered by Channel Zero creator"

:getin:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I really enjoyed Underwater. I’d say it reminded me a lot of Dead Space, Gravity, and The Descent. There were so many similarities to Dead Space even in the sound and visual design that at one point I thought they were going to straight up reference it.

It’s really quite a good movie and benefits from a large screen

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Megasabin posted:

I really enjoyed Underwater. I’d say it reminded me a lot of Dead Space, Gravity, and The Descent. There were so many similarities to Dead Space even in the sound and visual design that at one point I thought they were going to straight up reference it.

It’s really quite a good movie and benefits from a large screen

Gunner Wright, the actor who voices Isaac Clarke in Dead Space 2 and 3, is in ‘Underwater’ although I cannot figure out who he plays, maybe one of those first two guys at the beginning who get killed when Norah closes off the pressure doors?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Xenomrph posted:

Gunner Wright, the actor who voices Isaac Clarke in Dead Space 2 and 3, is in ‘Underwater’ although I cannot figure out who he plays, maybe one of those first two guys at the beginning who get killed when Norah closes off the pressure doors?

William Eubank (the director) is a big fan of Dead Space. Apparently, he and Gunner Wright are best buds - and played through the deep-sea horror game SOMA together twice, according to Eubank.

Regarding Gunner in the film:
Captain Lee Miller? https://t.co/vHLSWGkFZI

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 12, 2020

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Are they talking sci-fi channel or the actual show runners?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Also is it actually Chucky or the Mark Hamill version.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lurdiak posted:

Also is it actually Chucky or the Mark Hamill version.

Maybe read the article, my dude? This is the series that Don Mancini had mentioned in passing as planning to do, it's just been given the go ahead and officially funded.

I do hope we're still getting the final "...of Chucky" movie sometime soon, too. Also I hope that when they mention a "vintage Chucky doll" in the article that they mean they're dusting off the original molds and returning Chucky to his original appearance, because holy poo poo I'd be psyched. I mean poo poo, they can even use whatever molds Trick or Treat used.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Season 2 of Channel Zero hosed me up in a weird way. The strange colors swirling while a droning noise played made me feel like I was losing it. Season 4 is a blast though. Just people's imaginary friends duking it out. it's on Shudder and you should all watch all the seasons. Also gonna take a bold stance and say Nos4A2 isn't too bad either.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Untrustable posted:

Season 2 of Channel Zero hosed me up in a weird way. The strange colors swirling while a droning noise played made me feel like I was losing it. Season 4 is a blast though. Just people's imaginary friends duking it out. it's on Shudder and you should all watch all the seasons. Also gonna take a bold stance and say Nos4A2 isn't too bad either.

Oh god The No-End House was so good. Incredibly emotional.

We petered out a bit on season 3, but we'll pick it back up eventually.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Alehkhs posted:

William Eubank (the director) is a big fan of Dead Space. Apparently, he and Gunner Wright are best buds - and played through the deep-sea horror game SOMA together twice, according to Eubank.

Regarding Gunner in the film:
Captain Lee Miller? https://t.co/vHLSWGkFZI

Haha, that's awesome. I really could not shake the idea in my head that in a lot of respects I was watching a Dead Space movie. For better or worse many aspects of the movie in general felt like a video game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Season 3 and 4 aren't bad, they're just not No-End House good. Very few things are No-End House good though.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

COOL CORN posted:

I thought No-End House was kinda bad tbh. Never even finished it-I think I tapped out at the 5th episode. They seemed to miss the whole reason that the original stories seemed to work. And unlike the first season, No-End House seems like it would have actually translated to a decent series if you're bound to make each story a full season

As an aside, apparently a lot of African theaters to save on costs commissioned local artists to do posters for movie releases, and some of them basically had nothing more than the title to go off. Not all of these are horror, but there's a few in here and man are they something else. And while Jurassic Park isn't what I'd consider a horror movie, the poster they made for it DEFINITELY is. Also the Halloween 3 poster actually makes about as much sense as the movie did. There's a ton of these in the twitter thread that I'm linking:

https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status...pagenumber%3D37

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 12, 2020

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I thought No-End House was kinda bad tbh. Never even finished it-I think I tapped out at the 5th episode. They seemed to miss the whole reason that the original stories seemed to work. And unlike the first season, No-End House seems like it would have actually translated to a decent series if you're bound to make each story a full season

I really dug it as a story about grief and loss, but if you're looking for an actual adaptation of the story I can see why you'd be disappointed as it quickly spins off on its own tangent and the actual house barely factors into it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a story that, weirdly, I feel like works best if you watch the first and last episode and just skip everything in the middle

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Megasabin posted:

Haha, that's awesome. I really could not shake the idea in my head that in a lot of respects I was watching a Dead Space movie. For better or worse many aspects of the movie in general felt like a video game.
I got the same vibe, and the director's apparent love of Soma shows through in the movie's aesthetics.

I'd watch a Dead Space movie directed by this guy.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

plz dont pull out posted:

I really dug it as a story about grief and loss, but if you're looking for an actual adaptation of the story I can see why you'd be disappointed as it quickly spins off on its own tangent and the actual house barely factors into it.

Everyone remembers like the first part of No-End House. The author continued to add to it and there were magical girls and secret witches and it all got very dumb. I'll take the TV adaptation any day. Something about neighborhoods bother me. I've lived in the woods my whole life and something like, say, the neighborhood from Edward Scissorhands unnerves me on some primal level.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe read the article, my dude?

... No article was posted.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Read it, bitch. You think you can just ask questions ‘round here?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Channel Zero is good in general but season 3 is definitely the best. "Rich people are cannibal monsters who prey on the poor" is just hard to go wrong with, and Rutger Hauer is fantastic, of course.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

So I finally saw Midsommar yesterday and like pretty much everyone else thought it was really good. I did have two problems with it though: I thought it was weird how the main group just pretty much brushed off the disappearance of the London couple, and then their friends going away. Especially after they had watched the two people jump off the cliff and get smashed. Also I wonder if Aster has some thing about faces being smashed because he's dialed up a couple of doozys in his movies.. And the other thing is the movie seems a bit too pretty, too clean, and too...performative. Part of that is likely intentional, but I do think it can take you out of the movie emotionally to some extent.

All that said like I mentioned it's a really good movie, and much like Hereditary the actual characterizations and dramatic elements would I think work just as well in a "pure" drama removing all the horror elements. There's a ton of little details and asides that I think add a lot of depth. I was also surprised about the humor that's in the movie. It's mostly dark, and maybe I just have a strange sense of humor, but I definitely had some laughs.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

plz dont pull out posted:

My main problem (which was also a big problem with the first season) was that it seemed they had the story they wanted to tell pre-written, and then they had the source material and those things were working at cross purposes yet they were still trying to cram them together. I also thought the characters were kinda annoying and flat so the emotional notes didn't hit that hard for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lurdiak posted:

... No article was posted.

Oh, sorry. I'm just so automatically wired to Google poo poo that I assumed one was posted. Here you go https://deadline.com/2020/01/chucky-series-order-syfy-original-franchise-creators-don-mancini-david-kirschner-1202827296/

Now maybe read the article?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Joke's on you: I'm illiterate.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

King Vidiot posted:

Oh, sorry. I'm just so automatically wired to Google poo poo that I assumed one was posted.

This is what happens when you play too much Satan's Hollow.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of underwater horror, I finally saw Leviathan last night! I wanted to like it, but it's bad.

It's mainly a ripoff of Alien and The Thing. That's good, but all the edges have been meticulously filed off. Ash and Mother have been cut; instead, the crew communicates directly with their corporate CEO. And neither she nor the corporation are up to anything nefarious--the crew stumbles across a Soviet experiment gone wrong, and the company can't bring help because of a hurricane. In spite of this, the last shot of the movie is Peter Weller punching a woman in the face. Speaking of which, the character who seems to be a stand-in for Ripley is a nonentity who accomplishes nothing but being saved by the male crewmen, twice.

I want to blame the writers and let Cosmatos off the hook, but every "tense" action scene features the monster grabbing a crewman and then just sort of wiggling around so they have plenty of time to get help and escape. The decision to never show the entire monster was wise, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Well, there isn't a hurricane, the Company just writes them off, which is...not really that wrong when you're talking about unleashing some crazy mutant beast up (and Crenna's character as a stand in for Brimley's agrees, I think, off of memory - and both were right). Now watch DeepStar Six and realize it was directed by the director of Friday the 13th and that it was released within months of that.

edit: Leviathan was also written by the writers of...Blade Runner and Die Hard.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 13, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Late to the party but I thought Crawl was a lot of fun. A few scares might have landed better if there had been a little more blending of the CG with some practical effects but that’s just my old man nitpick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish it was gorier but it was still really good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I wish it had grabbed a few more side characters to die early on and late to pace out the deaths a bit better, but I liked it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the main character should've brought two idiot friends along to serve as gator chow.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I kept laughing about how dumb her dad was going into the crawl space to fix a vent during a hurricane.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunkboxer posted:

I kept laughing about how dumb her dad was going into the crawl space to fix a vent during a hurricane.

If there's one thing I know about people, it's that they will willfully ignore warnings, and or just outright not pay enough attention to notice them no matter how much airtime on TV and radio is devoted to telling you that you're going to die if you don't take precautions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have now seen Underwater and it struck me enough to make a whole drat thread to talk about water movies. It's an exceptionally clean movie, in terms of structure and pacing. I think not being a R movie hurts it, because there's no gore to speak of and I don't think the tween friday-night crowd would be interested in this. There's maybe 1 or 2 jump scares in the whole thing, it's mostly dread and 'this is about to happen, prepare yourself'

I liked it a lot, but I don't think it's better than Deepstar Six or Deep Rising at all.