Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bleach as a series is what shaped my musical tastes

I remember reading the manga and then immediately searching out what every character's favorite band was

Thanks for getting me into early 2000s indie and alternative, kubo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

And bleach op 1 is one of the top ops of all time

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Dawgstar posted:

I'm still salty you could have somebody as cool as Yoruichi and then do like nothing with her for... how long was it between the fight with Soifon and her bouncing off of Aizen? A while.

When Yoruichi did come back she got turned into a mindless naked catgirl and then died(?), the best case scenario was bowing out after Soi Fon or staying a talking cat.

Hikari no Rock was the best opening, so much so that I think it got used in another show?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yoruichi's alive she's in the sequel novel the strange fake/doheredo guy wrote, Can't Fear Your Own World, which is surprisingly good since it has 69 guy as a protagonist instead and ichigos just not present at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bleach/comments/9yvpl8/bleach_tybw_manga_sequel_novel_cant_fear_your_own/

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Yoruichi's alive she's in the sequel novel the strange fake/doheredo guy wrote, Can't Fear Your Own World, which is surprisingly good since it has 69 guy as a protagonist instead and ichigos just not present at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bleach/comments/9yvpl8/bleach_tybw_manga_sequel_novel_cant_fear_your_own/

Soul Society was a lovely place.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stairmaster posted:

Unless it introduces a small nation's population worth of new characters, who do nothing alongside the large nation's population of old characters, it ain't Bleach.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Want a show that's just about Yoruichi IMO

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kubo is more a character designer than a storyteller. His strength lies in drawing cool looking character, which he himself seemed to be aware of since his primary method of getting over writer's block was to create a dozen or so new characters who looked cool and had cool powers, haphazardly throw them into the story, and hope it worked. The captains/vice-captains, the vizards, and the espada were all (mostly) well designed and had interesting powers, so in theory getting to see them all fight one another would rule. Except all combined there were like 50 of them and we had to watch them all fight one by one which is why it took Kubo seven years to cover a period of two days in-story.

It is a shame Kubo's health tanked so hard at the end, the last arc actually started out really good and actually had decent pacing for once, before slowly falling apart.

Anyway OP 13 is the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXjgwpayNoM

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think you can blame that on his health. it had the exact same problems as the previous mega arc, only more so. after the meaningless fights, last page rescues, and ichigo repeatedly falling down and climbing up the same tower dragged on for so long the cancellation was a mercy.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Yea, its the exact same process as before. I like to think the editors sat Kubo down and told him this would be his last arc so he smirked Tite-ishly and began designing one enemy for every letter of the alphabet

I never read that arc, did they do the poo poo where an enemy comes out of nowhere and hes ñ or þ or ? or something

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Meme Emulator posted:

I never read that arc, did they do the poo poo where an enemy comes out of nowhere and hes ñ or þ or ? or something

Nope. They had some JoJo powers, though.

One guy could control the lethal dose of anything he came into contact with. And yes, that included getting stabbed by a sword.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I liked the Houki Boushi op

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Nope. They had some JoJo powers, though.

One guy could control the lethal dose of anything he came into contact with. And yes, that included getting stabbed by a sword.

So...he gets stabbed...and then says "nope, you need to apply More Sword than that to kill me"?

...Do they make any effort to address how this helps stop him from bleeding out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So...he gets stabbed...and then says "nope, you need to apply More Sword than that to kill me"?

...Do they make any effort to address how this helps stop him from bleeding out?

*hysterical woody woodpecker laugh*

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Real talk Tite just needs to team up with a good writer who'll allow him to draw cool poo poo. When he's actually giving a poo poo his character design and drafting skills are top notch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, its the exact same process as before. I like to think the editors sat Kubo down and told him this would be his last arc so he smirked Tite-ishly and began designing one enemy for every letter of the alphabet

I'm pretty sure there was a ß, but nobody did a surprise reveal that they weren't W, they were Double V or some poo poo like Yammy.

Leaving aside Ichigo of course turning out to be actually half Quincy. On top of being half Soul Reaper, half Hollow, half Fulbringer Human, half regular Human, and half everything else. All those halves of course not being any normal variety, but the super best most noble variant of whatever the poo poo identity.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 12, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jerkface posted:

I liked the Houki Boushi op
Houki Boushi was an ED I thought but yeah it's good too

I forget which OP it is but I'm a sucker for anything by Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fabricated posted:

Houki Boushi was an ED I thought but yeah it's good too

I forget which OP it is but I'm a sucker for anything by Asian Kung-Fu Generation

OP 7 After Dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp1Fm9D_P7A

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ah, thank you.

I kinda wonder why Pierrot is so good at OPs/EDs. I mean, it really does seem to be the one thing they get right a lot- they generally are visually fun/interesting/well animated and make good music selections. Like you could almost trick someone into watching Black Clover with its OPs and EDs.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This one might be my favorite.

It’s a tight race between this, the second one, the eleventh one, and the thirteenth one.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

First Bleach OP was easily the best and Bleach was by far the best of the big three until the end of Soul Society.

when Bleach started One Piece was setting up the big Alabasta fights and when the Soul Society arc ended the Straw hats were just leaving Water 7 on their way to Enies Lobby lol

1st Bleach OP was very good though

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Monaghan posted:

Real talk Tite just needs to team up with a good writer who'll allow him to draw cool poo poo. When he's actually giving a poo poo his character design and drafting skills are top notch.

I was pretty in the bag for crazy Tite story stuff, but I agree with this overall. I saw a trailer for a JRPG coming out this year that he did the character designs for and I had to admit that all the characters looked super good. if he wants to settle into a manga elder statesman mode ala Toriyama and get paid a presumably healthy stack of cash to do character designs for games, well there's certainly worse scenarios. In his shoes having done that crazy manga schedule and surely made enough money from it to effectively retire if he wanted to, I'd totally be happy to just work that kind of side gig to fulfill my creative desires.

I would also expect that SJ would have him back on his own if he had a halfway decent pitch for a new manga. I feel like doing Big 3 level business gets you a permanent open door if you want it, even when it shouldn't.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That certainly checks out for Samurai 8, which is at best Okay but feels like it would've been canned already if it wasn't Kishimoto behind it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That certainly checks out for Samurai 8, which is at best Okay but feels like it would've been canned already if it wasn't Kishimoto behind it.

This is 100% true and everyone knows it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd like to see Burn the Witch become something more full fledged except without every other word out of the male lead's mouth being about how he wants to see the main character's underpants please.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd like to see Burn the Witch become something more full fledged except without every other word out of the male lead's mouth being about how he wants to see the main character's underpants please.

There really, desperately needs to be some kind of halfway point between a protagonist being permanently celibate until the last 5 minutes and being terminally horny

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Tite Kubo himself is terminally horny, he is Titty Kubo after all.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't know, lots of the plot beats are boilerplate Shonen stuff but it's got a pretty wild universe established already. By comparison to where it's at now, at that point in Naruto we're what, just wrapping up the Zabuza arc, roughly, maybe early parts of the Chuunin exam? I have to admire how quickly it's moving along and I've liked the story so far. SJ usually has at least one absolutely insane manga running, with all the space travel, weird samurai soul stuff, and weird artificial bodies splitting in half I think Sam 8 fits that slot nicely.

I do admit I'm eager to see what new mangaka or creative team comes along and makes a manga that's a big enough hit to be Big 3 level, whether that's in SJ or another magazine. Has there been anything new in that ballpark since Bleach and Naruto ended?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

NowonSA posted:

Has there been anything new in that ballpark since Bleach and Naruto ended?

My Hero Academia is pretty big, isn't it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Demon Slayer's also kinda at that level.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
My Hero Academia is huge, it’s definitely eclipsed Bleach at this point.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheHan posted:

My Hero Academia is huge, it’s definitely eclipsed Bleach at this point.

My Hero Academia has sold approximately 26 million volumes in 5 1/2 years.

Bleach has sold approximately 126 million volumes from a 15 year run, currently 18 years since the series began.

Not to say that there aren't other arguments to take into account such as merchandise sales and the impact of rising popularity, or that popularity does not necessarily correlate to sales, but by this metric BLEACH was definitely more popular.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

god drat I remember dreading every week that the alphabet villains would reveal the dreaded umlaut squad

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

Not to say that there aren't other arguments to take into account such as merchandise sales and the impact of rising popularity, or that popularity does not necessarily correlate to sales, but by this metric BLEACH was definitely more popular.

It also feels like MHA has already peaked. Its popularity is huge but it doesn't seem to be really growing.

The market has only become more competitive since Bleach so it's understandable. Bleach's only main competitors on the anime front were Naruto and One Piece (and FMA during its one year pre-Brotherhood run.) Now there's a bunch of shows at the MHA level (the neverending One Piece, Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, the TON of bigger isekai franchises...) There's only about the same shounen but a lot of smaller shows that appeal to the same market.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Big 3 was also very much a time and place situation, placed at exactly the point that anime and manga were starting to blow up in popularity in America, and the US market was relatively small in options but huge in audience, and the Shonen Jump print magazine provided a relatively affordable way to sample a bunch of different manga, obviously pushing the three series that were already getting traction in Japan.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Raising his own "lethal dose" of something also let him heal from damage caused by it faster. He was ridiculously hard to kill, and only finally died after his heart was ripped out and crushed.

Penis Inspection
Jan 11, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ok two questions relating to Tite Kubo's work :

- I think I' m gonna do what I didn't do as a teenager and finally read Bleach. However I've often heard that there's a point (most likely at the end of an arc?) where I should just stop and pretend it's the end of the series because it's just kind of downhill from there. What is that point?

- is his new manga any good and if yes should I read it after I'm done with Bleach or just start it "whenever, it's cool dude"?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Julias posted:

My Hero Academia has sold approximately 26 million volumes in 5 1/2 years.

Bleach has sold approximately 126 million volumes from a 15 year run, currently 18 years since the series began.

Yeah I was more going off of popularity, MHA has a (two?) whole US theatrical release, and benefits from its peak coinciding with the peak of social media hellworld. Hell one of the biggest names in rap last year did a photoshoot as Todoroki (Megan Thee Stallion is a big 'ol weeb, keep in mind). I don't think it'd ever be able to compete in volume sales considering how much easier it is to get scans-even official ones-nowadays.

HerraS posted:

god drat I remember dreading every week that the alphabet villains would reveal the dreaded umlaut squad

I could swear one of the upper echelon Sternritter had a secondary greek alphabet form, but slogging through the wiki is a nightmare. By the time we got to the guy who could just imagine anything into existence comprehending the various powersets in play became impossible.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Penis Inspection posted:

ok two questions relating to Tite Kubo's work :

- I think I' m gonna do what I didn't do as a teenager and finally read Bleach. However I've often heard that there's a point (most likely at the end of an arc?) where I should just stop and pretend it's the end of the series because it's just kind of downhill from there. What is that point?

- is his new manga any good and if yes should I read it after I'm done with Bleach or just start it "whenever, it's cool dude"?

Like everybody has been saying in the thread, it peaked during the soul society arc, and it's all downhill from there. That arc isn't any sort of actual conclusion though. Its not worth checking out Bleach at this point because its 99% wasted potential.

His new manga is just a bad one shot, and not worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the first logical endpoint is after they deal with Aizen but there is a LOT of garbage before that arc and it doesn't really have a satisfying ending at that spot either.