Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SirSamVimes posted:

imo Cinderella and Jungle Book were good, Aladdin was pretty good but Beauty and the Beast was very bad and Lion King was a trashfire. I can't believe what they did to Be Prepared.

Haven't seen the others, don't plan to.

I was fine with Jungle Book, but I thought Aladdin was hot dogshit. Beauty and the Beast was so unnecessary because it was essentially a shot-for-shot remake and Ewan McGregor, I'm sorry, you can't hold a candle to the royalty that was Jerry Orbach.

I haven't seen Lion King on a matter of principle because of the butchery they did to Be Prepared. Unforgivable to do that to the best Disney animated villain song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Hereditary really kept me on edge and made me feel like I had no idea where it was going, whereas Midsommar seemed to be headed in an obvious direction from the start and never really deviated from that. Which isn't necessarily a criticism on it's own, not every movie has to accomplish the same goals but I my experience with Hereditary was most definitely a lot more intense because of that.

Yeah, to me this is a big piece of what moved Midsommar into being more comedic, how easily the villagers slotted the visitors into place in their rituals, which is something I really enjoyed about the movie. But it definitely reduces the horror aspect.

mystes posted:

The whole thing with the planet was extremely tedious, though.

I loved it :shrug:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
The cinematography is loving awesome in Midsommar. That alone is worth a watch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Midsommer was really good, but Hereditary is a modern classic imo. It’s just in a different league.

Re: Disney remakes. I actually did enjoy Cinderella. I don’t know if I just remember it more fondly because I wasn’t sick of the formula yet but it was pretty charming. Jungle Book was competent but dull. What I watched of Aladdin sucked. Dumbo was the worst one. Just unwatchable. I don’t think I’ve seen any of the others.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

Midsommer was really good, but Hereditary is a modern classic imo. It’s just in a different league.

I can get behind this. I love Midsommar and I think everyone should watch it, but Hereditary is one of the most harrowing goddamn things I've seen in years.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's really only so much you can do with folk horror, and Midsommar is an admirable attempt. But unless you go the full musical route you will never unlock the genre's full potential again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nate fisher posted:

Midsommar is now available on Amazon Prime. It seems to be a love or hate movie, but I thought it was the best movie I watched in 2019.

I agree with that also think it was the best movie I saw in a theater in 2019.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I really liked Midsommar, but I think it was mostly pretty to look at and a great performance by Florence Pugh. Hereditary is on another level.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah they really aren't comparable as movies except they're both horror. Both are great for different reasons

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah they really aren't comparable as movies except they're both horror. Both are great for different reasons

Both came from the same director, which invites the comparison. But yes, both movies have different aims, and both are amazing. Totally worth your time.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've always described them as fraternal twins which I think stands up

Visually and textually they're in opposition but the themes and emotions are extremely related

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Midsommar is much more overtly a black comedy, and what it has over Hereditary is an overarching theme that doesn’t collapse under a weight obscurantism.

Like, with Hereditary you still have this debate over whether the film is really using a completely obtuse conspiracy is a facile metaphor for a legacy of trauma from abuse, or is actually just about a conspiracy.

Midsommar is much more appreciably straightforward that, yes, it is just a conspiracy, there is no metaphor, and the experience of Pugh’s character is simply allegorical of the pursuit of finding an actual community that deeply embraces all its members, as opposed to the profound alienation of modern society.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Midsommar is much more overtly a black comedy, and what it has over Hereditary is an overarching theme that doesn’t collapse under a weight obscurantism.

Like, with Hereditary you still have this debate over whether the film is really using a completely obtuse conspiracy is a facile metaphor for a legacy of trauma from abuse, or is actually just about a conspiracy.

Midsommar is much more appreciably straightforward that, yes, it is just a conspiracy, there is no metaphor, and the experience of Pugh’s character is simply allegorical of the pursuit of finding an actual community that deeply embraces all its members, as opposed to the profound alienation of modern society.

I think you and I are the only people who believe the latter position on this one.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm two episodes into Medical Police on Netflix and this poo poo is hilarious so far, it was made by the same people that did children's hospital from adult swim.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I retract what i said about Dracula, it is very bad lol i just finished the last ep, i was giving it the benefit of the doubt because i was loving the cheesyness but wow

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Honest Thief posted:

I retract what i said about Dracula, it is very bad lol i just finished the last ep, i was giving it the benefit of the doubt because i was loving the cheesyness but wow

Wow, the first episode of this was fine enough to make me watch the rest but it got exponentially worse. 3 is just a hilariously stupid mess.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Ready or Not was fun

Watching 6 Underground right now and it’s not fun

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

beanieson posted:

Ready or Not was fun

Watching 6 Underground right now and it’s not fun

What is Ready or Not on? I’ve been wanting to watch that.

Six underground was super boring for a movie that is 75% action scenes. I didn’t care about any of the characters.

I just watched the first season of Mr Robot on prime and it was great, but I have heard the rest isn’t worth watching. Should I keep going?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Deadite posted:

What is Ready or Not on? I’ve been wanting to watch that.

Six underground was super boring for a movie that is 75% action scenes. I didn’t care about any of the characters.

I just watched the first season of Mr Robot on prime and it was great, but I have heard the rest isn’t worth watching. Should I keep going?

I rented it on Prime for like $3

Mr Robot has some really great highs and a few lows in the following seasons but if you liked what you’ve seen I’d keep going.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mr Robot S2 goes up it's own rear end and keeps going, while being dull. I haven't seen 3 and 4 and probably never will.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wormil posted:

Mr Robot S2 goes up it's own rear end and keeps going, while being dull. I haven't seen 3 and 4 and probably never will.

3 and 4 are really fuckin good, you're missing out. 2 is slow but 3 and 4 are very much not

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Is Canada’s Worst Handyman legally available anywhere? Netflix used to have two seasons a year ago but I haven’t been able to find it for a while.

Watching very dumb people trying to hammer in screws will always be entertaining to me

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

John Wick 3 is now on HBOgo

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

If you're trying to avoid spoilers for Midsommar don't watch Midsommar.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

:hmmyes:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

spoiler tag that poo poo man

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Honestly watching Midsommar is really going to affect your Midsommar watching experience.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I like to envision a shared Florence Pugh Cinematic Universe where the events of Midsommer replace her character's trip to Paris in Little Women. Amy has seen some poo poo.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Timotheous Venture posted:

I like to envision a shared Florence Pugh Cinematic Universe where the events of Midsommer replace her character's trip to Paris in Little Women. Amy has seen some poo poo.

:hmmyes: Little women and Midsommar also take place in the marvel cinematic universe

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A good part of S4 of The Expanse was they took out one of the more annoying plot lines of the book. The 4th book was the weakest of the series so far and S4 isn't as good as S3 (still quite good imo) but it's a nice upgrade from the plotlines of the book which is pretty cool. I'm glad they gave them the creative control to make those changes.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I started Boardwalk Empire this weekend and my scorching hot take is that it's very good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That Works posted:

A good part of S4 of The Expanse was they took out one of the more annoying plot lines of the book. The 4th book was the weakest of the series so far and S4 isn't as good as S3 (still quite good imo) but it's a nice upgrade from the plotlines of the book which is pretty cool. I'm glad they gave them the creative control to make those changes.

What was that plotline?

I found the Bobbie plot to be pretty bleh this season. Still enjoyed the season overall though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MacheteZombie posted:

What was that plotline?

I found the Bobbie plot to be pretty bleh this season. Still enjoyed the season overall though.

The Elvi character being super in love with Holden.

e: it was a big fangirl / crush thing that they kept alluding to in her private monologues etc. It was just a kinda lovely part of the book that made it more mediocre compared to the rest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That Works posted:

The Elvi character being super in love with Holden.

e: it was a big fangirl / crush thing that they kept alluding to in her private monologues etc. It was just a kinda lovely part of the book that made it more mediocre compared to the rest.

Oh.. glad they dumped that sounds bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wasn't using Hulu enough to justify no ads, especially with Disney plus, and man, it just occurred to me i have barely had to watch an ad for over a decade and it really pisses me off having to watch them now lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also the Terror season 2 is up on Hulu

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok, the crappy new Doom movie was a little bit more fun than I expected. The action is terrible, but I could see a sequel being more functional if they had an actual budget.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Also the Terror season 2 is up on Hulu

Oh hell yeah! The first season was excellent, seriously some of the best character arcs I've seen in a tv series in a long time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh hell yeah! The first season was excellent, seriously some of the best character arcs I've seen in a tv series in a long time.

I loved s1 but prepare for disappointment, S2 is a contrived mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Two episodes in and...I'm not hating it, but yeah this is just not up to the same quality standards as the first season sadly.