Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was Half-Life 2 the beginning of the games where you have a big-eyed daughterwife staring at you for at least half the game in between having to be protected from vaguely to explicitly sexualised violence?

Eh not really. All that is the most infuriating video game trend ever, Half Life 2 itself only has you fighting with VulnerableFemaleSaviorSyndrome.npc for a very small part of the game. HL2 Episode 1 however absolutely has you sheparding around GrittyAndUncomfortablySexualizedDisneyPrincess.npc for most of the game, and it really blows.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

That bit in Ep 1 where you shoot your way through a hospital with Alyx was pretty cool I thought. Rather liked Ep 2 as well, though obviously they wrote themselves into a corner for the future plot.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I used to love my [every Nintendo console since the N64] but I fell off it pretty hard for some reason.

Can't wait for their next console so I get to hear "this time is different, it's gonna have current gen graphics and broad third party support!" again.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Vakal posted:

Isn't that the mod where the maker modeled Alxy's uterus?

Sorry the fact that women have uteruses upsets you, churl

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

is pepsi ok posted:

Can't wait for their next console so I get to hear "this time is different, it's gonna have current gen graphics and broad third party support!" again.

I really enjoyed my switch for a while, but once I had something that could play games without framerate issues or poo poo graphics basically anywhere I would play games, a lot of the shine wore off. Doesn't help that while nintendo's first party games are really polished, they really just feel like iterations on the same thing that they've been doing with that series for decades so the shine wears off pretty quick. Breath of the Wild was a pretty big exception to that, but it never clicked for me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Whoah, Mario 6471245 is the same as 6471244? No loving poo poo!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ever since the N64, every Nintendo console has had like 6 amazing games that justify the console by themselves and not much else. It's their gimmick now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No handful of games can be good enough to justify buying another brick of plastic junk that will never be used for anything else, even if those games were made by Jesus himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but 6 games

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BotW is basically a blowjob from Our Lord and Saviour imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What do you even need more than 6 games for

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

GrittyAndUncomfortablySexualizedDisneyPrincess.npc

this is such a :chloe: take on Alyx jfc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

What do you even need more than 6 games for

Exactly

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i didn't want to say anything because it's been easily fifteen years since i last played Half-Life 2, Noted Bad Game, but yeah if that's your mark for uncomfortably oversexualized i think you need some harsh self examination

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't get why computer gamers just can't shut the gently caress up about consoles. If you don't like them, rad, don't play. It isn't a competition.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't get why computer gamers just can't shut the gently caress up about consoles. If you don't like them, rad, don't play. It isn't a competition.

There are a lot of things like this in the human experience though (gay marriage, weed, whatever). We're obviously hard wired to be gigantic assholes

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if it wasn't for the consoles we'd still be upgrading our video cards every 6 months and using really bad gamepads

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you don't have a decent pc, a pro version of a console and a switch then you really can't call yourself a person that enjoys video games.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

poverty goat posted:

if it wasn't for the consoles we'd still be upgrading our video cards every 6 months and using really bad gamepads

I'm a PC dude but yeah this is true. If the market were dominated/led by PC instead of anchored by Nintendo consoles, the need to " " "upgrade" " " would be much more forced.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

Ehhhh, it was never really an every six month cycle unless you were a hardcore enthusiast. In the early-mid 2000's I played basically everything I wanted on upgrading my graphics card every two years and throwing in some extra RAM. I got four years out of a 2001 compaq persario as a high schooler.

Ok, at the end I had cut a hole in the case so I could bolt on a second power supply because the second graphics card I upgraded to went above what the PSU could handle and the motherboard could only connect to the factory one. But still.

PC gamepads did suck rear end until the Xbox 360 controller standardized stuff though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I didn't even have a graphics card when I was playing Half-Life 1 on the family PC, and for college I did have a desktop but with a geforce 4 mx, which was really a geforce 2 and was wildly obsolete even when i got it, but I still played Deus Ex and GTA III all day long

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I didn't even have a graphics card when I was playing Half-Life 1 on the family PC, and for college I did have a desktop but with a geforce 4 mx, which was really a geforce 2 and was wildly obsolete even when i got it, but I still played Deus Ex and GTA III all day long

aw jeez I remember asking for a geforce 4 for christmas and my dad bought the 4 mx, that was so disappointing at the time. I remember it couldn't even run the unreal 2 demo well!! only like 15fps, and I had to make do with that. the 4 mx was such a scam.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

piratepilates posted:

aw jeez I remember asking for a geforce 4 for christmas and my dad bought the 4 mx, that was so disappointing at the time. I remember it couldn't even run the unreal 2 demo well!! only like 15fps, and I had to make do with that. the 4 mx was such a scam.

I remember doing the opposite for one of my cards. I forgot which model it was but it was one of those ones that was a “budget” version of a higher end card... where the hardware was the same and it just had a factory underclock. Like ten minutes of digging up what settings I should change in BIOS and boom, it was the full version. That was shockingly common back in the day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had a Tandy 1000EX that lasted me from 88 to 90 and then I had a second hand IBM. I never once bought a graphics card and was able to play whatever I wanted. Buying a new card regularly is a fairly new thing.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I would say because the practice of exclusives loving sucks but whoops now the pc market has digital storefront exclusives.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

is pepsi ok posted:

I would say because the practice of exclusives loving sucks but whoops now the pc market has digital storefront exclusives.

At least that doesn't require shelling out money for different hardware.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember doing the opposite for one of my cards. I forgot which model it was but it was one of those ones that was a “budget” version of a higher end card... where the hardware was the same and it just had a factory underclock. Like ten minutes of digging up what settings I should change in BIOS and boom, it was the full version. That was shockingly common back in the day.
I was doing that as recently as 2013.

Any PC gamer that slanders the console market is self-defeating af though. We need them.

PC gamepads did suck rear end until the Xbox 360 controller standardized stuff though.
Truth

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

the reason we don't upgrade our graphics cards every 6 months is because moores law crapped out and it isn't worth it any more.

"gamepads" are console garbage. PC has this:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 12, 2020

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Rutibex posted:

"gamepads" are console garbage. PC has this:

Jesus I'd take the N64 controller over that.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm sorry I disrespected your cyberwife.

In all seriousness Alyx is pretty mercifully realistic, I was thinking more of the Bioshock lady.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I don't think I saw a game at like 50+ fps until i was over at my friend's house and he had a proper graphics setup and Quake II

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The bioshock infinite lady did look way too anime. It just didn't really fit the rest of the game

The "sexualized violence" part though, lol. It's no Silent Hill

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

I'm sorry I disrespected your cyberwife.

In all seriousness Alyx is pretty mercifully realistic, I was thinking more of the Bioshock lady.

Ah yes, gritty and uncomfortably-sexualized :hmmyes:

Tell us more about your opinions on video game women :allears:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the problem with her is clearly her huge weird head. She's fun to play in the DLC, she's a cooler character than the protag.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

To be fair, I think that is based on her original version and they later made her eyes bigger and put her in an outfit that made her tits pop out more.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

the problem with her is clearly her huge weird head. She's fun to play in the DLC, she's a cooler character than the protag.

Hold on you are saying personaliteless let's call him "grizzled" white guy isn't an exciting or interesting character? If that's the case why is he in so many games? HMMMMM?

I assume I'm right I don't really remember very well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Snow Cone Capone posted:

How about we post the shot of how she spends the second half of the game?

Corset & Bust, heavy mascara, and gets progressively more grimy/gritty.

It's a valid complaint.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

there are more titties in g-rated movies, some of you must be chafed to hell with how often video games get your jimmies rustled

like I’m not even sure what dimension you are posting from if that is your smoking gun of sexualization

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

“the harlot is wearing MAKEUP” i shout to the gathered throngs, insistent that i am the normal one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sorry if my opinions on video-game women are too victorian for you, but I tend to think anyone whose eyes are larger than their wrists is "uncomfortable" to say the least.