Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/11/americas/diego-playboy-tortoise-sex-life-galapagos-scli-intl/index.html posted:

This playboy tortoise had so much sex he saved his entire species. Now he's going home

By Rob Picheta, CNN

A womanizing tortoise whose rampant sex life may have single-handedly saved his entire species from extinction has retired from his playboy lifestyle, returning to the wild with his mission accomplished.
Diego's unstoppable libido was credited as a major reason for the survival of his fellow giant tortoises on Espanola, part of the Galapagos Islands, after being shipped over from the San Diego Zoo as part of a breeding program.
When he started his campaign of promiscuity, there were just two males and 12 females of his species alive on the island.
But the desirable shell-dweller had so much sex he helped boost the population to over 2,000. The Galapagos National Parks service believe the 100-year-old tortoise is the patriarch of around 40% of that population.

"He's contributed a large percentage to the lineage that we are returning to Espanola," Jorge Carrion, the park's director, told AFP. "There's a feeling of happiness to have the possibility of returning that tortoise to his natural state."

A total of 15 tortoises took part in the breeding program to boost the island's population, but none played a big a role as Diego.
"About 1,800 tortoises have been returned to Espanola and now with natural reproduction we have approximately 2,000 tortoises," Carrion told AFP.

"This shows that they are able to grow, they are able to reproduce, they are able to develop," he said.
The Galapagos Islands are one of the world's premier destinations for wildlife viewing, and were visited by Charles Darwin as he worked on the theory of evolution.

Good for you, Diego! You are a modern day hero that all goons can look up to and I hope that you enjoy your well earned rest from all of your sex... though I can't help what you'll get up to in retirement with your new reputation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Perfect

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That's not going to help with saving his species!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Thank you

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Top shagger

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

It can't be good for a species for 40% of all members to be descended from a single one right? How long before we get a Charles III tortoise?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

An improvement for sure

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Diego hosed me

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

It can't be good for a species for 40% of all members to be descended from a single one right? How long before we get a Charles III tortoise?

What do you have against loving?!

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

From what I've heard it's not so bad as long as you have a rigorous breeding program, and anyway, without a monarchy to sustain it, serious inbreeding tends to self-regulate.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd like to study their population genetics going forward.

Also, are these the really delicious sea turtles? I'd like those to be back on the menu. I had some last time I was in Panama and it tasted awesome. Felt pretty bad about it though.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/g1DsXar.jpg :nws:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lonely Jorge doomed his entire species to extinction by being a bachelor for life. Meanwhile Diego is out the getting as much cloaca as possible, bless him.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
No Ron, don't stomp him! He's a hero!

(I mosaic-ed everything out but I'll link it anyway, just in case :nws:)

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 12, 2020

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

a forbidden meme

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Paladinus posted:

That's not going to help with saving his species!
nope, because this:
is literally true!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Ah, a Japanese turtle.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Feel-good thread of 2020 so far. I dig this tortoise's style

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
The Genghis Khan of tortoises

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That news article is written poorly.

So Diego was a tortoise in a zoo and then shipped to island to gently caress? And then they left him there to gently caress forever?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
:ck5:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

but why are they all wearing mormon magic underwear?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Heroes in the cock swell - TURTLE PENIS!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

subtle literary reference

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
I mean... just look at him :captainpop: what a babe

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Close thread, goldmine

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What's his relation to Jonathan, the 180 year old tortoise who is gay

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
That turtle sounds pretty cool but no way is as cool as Dranklin (who fucks)

https://imgur.com/gallery/ouyGUzD

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Diego, the tortoise who loves to gently caress