Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm not sure I can appreciate a Dune without a Toto soundtrack.

Edit:

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

GrandpaPants posted:

Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch, Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho, Makoto Shinkai's Weathering With You, wide release of Portrait of a Woman on Fire, Tenet, Villeneuve's Dune, and of course Doolittle.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire probably has my favourite ending out of any movie I saw last year. Pure emotion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is portrait getting a wider release or

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RBA Starblade posted:

Beavis's greatest failure was Batman and Superman fighting each other without first popping their shirts off

Of course they didn't rip from Dragon Ball Z enough.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

got any sevens posted:

I grew up on Akira and Robocop and im fine

I meant that I enjoy when PG-13 films push the boundaries of what they're allowing to show by using robots instead of people for example. Alita gets cut into pieces in one scene and become a head with half a torso with one arm. It reminded me of the Robocop 2012 reveal of what is left of Murphy (not sure if that's still the Robocop's name in the reboot).

Anyway, I didn't really care about movie violence when I was a kid. I'm way more squeemish as an adult than when I was a child.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Well, that sucks. Guessing that the creative differences were that he wanted to dip more into high strangeness/cosmic horror and Marvel balked.

Almost definitely
https://twitter.com/wyattduncan/status/1215429111901900800

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So, uh, anything good coming out this year?

Blumhouse's Invisible Man looks promising.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I thought Doctor Strange kinda sucked.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's certainly the worst Marvel movie I've seen. Though Mads had some solid comedic moments, and the climax was inventive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Despite the setting i found the movie very bland

But when they put Strange in those other movies I thought he was one of the best things about them, as they actually gave him more of a personality

The arguments between him and Tony were great in IW

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If it weren’t for the quip dual between tech bro iron man and new age iron man, I might have been able to make it through another 5 minutes of that garbage

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's the Marvel movie most guilty of not being able to have a sincere moment between quips.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah Doctor Strange felt very cookie cutter Marvel with a few neat set pieces. The whole all powerful magic dimension bending thing should make Strange the character they can have the most visual fun with, and instead we got a bunch of magic fist fights.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The scene of dr strange in front of the mirror with his cape is so bad that it has been made an example of the "bathos" in marvel movies. Granted thor 3 had a bunch of that but they were quickly justified or redeemed (thor getting hit by the ball before escaping the tower)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I really loved Doctor Strange :shrug:

Maybe my expectations of the MCU were in the dumps at the time as I had only just started coming around to liking their movies, but I thought it was visually fantastic and it had a decent origin story. I legit choke up at the slowmo scene where the Ancient One is facing death. Its a moment of somber meditation on the end of a life and it surprised me to see that in an MCU movie.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 10, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My memory is that scene is good but, like, immediately followed by a stupid joke and theres no time to allow it carry weight or decompress from it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kevin feige is quashing horror strange because he wants it to be true cinema

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Kevin feige is quashing horror strange because he wants it to be true cinema

If he is actually quashing it, I wonder if it has anything to do with the New Mutants movie that's apparently coming out, and that being horror themed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was going to ask if bathos was bro pathos, but google says it's a real thing with a cool and useful definition. Huh.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is it bathory pathos

In which your destructive decisions are all made to feel young again

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is directed by Harmony Korine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W7gnGU4wto

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IUG posted:

If he is actually quashing it, I wonder if it has anything to do with the New Mutants movie that's apparently coming out, and that being horror themed.
I don't think so, New Mutants is completely unrelated to anything else as far as we know and it just something Disney wants to get out the door

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

by the time New Mutants comes out we can use a creepy children's choir of a billie eilish song in the soundtrack and it will be as old then as the Pink Floyd song is now

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dr. Strange is to mysticism what Black Panther is to politics. Kaecilius is objectively right about everything, so they have to make him both evil and completely deluded about what he's really accomplishing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dr. Strange is to mysticism what Black Panther is to politics. Kaecilius is objectively right about everything, so they have to make him both evil and completely deluded about what he's really accomplishing.

He may be right about the Ancient One being a hypocrite, but he still worships a galactical warlord whose subjects are in a timeless state of unlife.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grendels Dad posted:

He may be right about the Ancient One being a hypocrite, but he still worships a galactical warlord whose subjects are in a timeless state of unlife.

I mean in the ideological sense. "Death is an insult," there's nothing inherently special about the natural order that justifies it in the face of human suffering, the whole of the cosmos should have open borders, all that jazz.

Within the actual narrative of the film, yeah, of course Dormammu has to be a be an imperialist Cthulhu-Satan mashup, and utopia on Earth has to be a self-serving lie, because the underlying ethos of the entire MCU is that the status quo is sacred and anyone seeking the radical transformation of the world is necessarily a psychopath.

Dr. Strange just makes it literally about the sacred and the profane, rather than metaphorically.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tars Tarkas posted:

My Spy - Dave Bautista does the strong guy looks after young kids thing

This description reminded me that Stuber existed and was a giant piece of poo poo and was also released in 2019

I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person that saw it and that was the reason it was overlooked though

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also Monster Hunter is a Paul W. S. Anderson joint, and while the games are set in a fantasy world this will involve modern day military folks getting involved with the critters. No word on whether there will be adorable kitty friends.

If they're going to go that far off script, why not just adapt Earth Defense Force instead, it's even the level of cheese that would be perfect for PWSA.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Monster Hunter movie is an isekai. The first photos they released are real misleading. They said that modern military guns and poo poo won't work on the monsters and they'll have to hunt them in the traditional MonHun style. Which seems fine. Monster Hunter was never known for its story.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Monster Hunter movie is another one of those "people fall o to a hole to another dimension" movies.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

raditts posted:

This description reminded me that Stuber existed and was a giant piece of poo poo and was also released in 2019

I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person that saw it and that was the reason it was overlooked though

I saw Stuber. In the theater, even!

It wasn't great but I enjoyed most of Bautista's scenes. :shrug: He's a funny guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I read a review of "The Murder of Nicole Brown Simpson" (directed by the same guy who made the tasteless "The Haunting of Sharon Tate") and apparently the movie doesn't even commit to its central premise that OJ didn't do it, a serial killer who was living in the area at the time did. So when it comes time for the movie to do the murder they completely cover up the killer's skin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Really we all killed Nicole brown Simpson

We live in a

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I kind of get the feeling they did that because if you state that OJ didn't do it Nicole Brown Simpson's surviving family will sue the gently caress out of you, and if you state that he did OJ will sue the gently caress out of you instead

Any kind of fictional depiction of the murder is in a no-win situation until it passes far enough into history that the surviving major players aren't interested in being litigious about it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I haven’t watched any of these and just assume they are the asylum of true crime

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Doctor Strange is one of the few movies for which I ended up happy I paid the 3D premium. Visually, at least, I felt it was the most original and distinctive of the Marvel movies.

I can appreciate the criticisms of plot, pacing, and characterization, though. Strange's arc is pretty much a carbon copy of Iron Man's. I have to imagine they plan on slotting in Cumberbatch as quipper-in-chief for their next "saga" now that Downey Jr. is out, and they want to protect that status at all costs. Here's hoping they don't manage to surpass ST: Into Darkness as the benchmark for utterly wasting the dude's talent.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I think the best 3D experience (maybe the best cinema experience period) I've ever had was Gravity in IMAX 3D. Totally worth the extra cost.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Julius CSAR posted:

I think the best 3D experience (maybe the best cinema experience period) I've ever had was Gravity in IMAX 3D. Totally worth the extra cost.

I see someone didn't watch Jackass 3D in theaters.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kind of get the feeling they did that because if you state that OJ didn't do it Nicole Brown Simpson's surviving family will sue the gently caress out of you, and if you state that he did OJ will sue the gently caress out of you instead

Any kind of fictional depiction of the murder is in a no-win situation until it passes far enough into history that the surviving major players aren't interested in being litigious about it

American crime story handled it pretty well so it makes no sense another show has to pretend there was a ahs like serial killer running around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so uh Black Christmas didn't do so hot, though it's Blumhouse and reportedly only cost $5 million to make