Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there any way to play MH World without dropping for the full game? I'm interested but don't even know if I like it.

You buy a PS4 and try the demo on there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would say just make use of Steam Refund.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I found the Prey thread so I'm posting about it there, but man, I know it gets recommended every time anyone asks for a game of basically any genre, but, like, you should all play Prey. It is exceptional in just about every way. As I get older it's pretty rare for me to even beat a game, and exceedingly more rare for me to beat a game and want to keep playing it or start over and play it again. I'm Mooncrashing right now but I'm really looking forward to starting the regular game over to play less cautiously and inject everything I see into my eyeballs and launch aliens into space with my mind.

So, advice: when this thread says "play Prey" the thing you should do is play Prey.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

After watching some gameplay videos, Hades seems like the combat I've always wanted out of a Diablo-style RPG. Are there any other ARPGs that play like this?

I haven't found any that play as fast and smooth, but Victor Vran comes close. It has similar top down, twin stick-ish action and different weapons give you different attacks and specials. It typically goes pretty cheap on sale, too.

The biggest thing that threw me off of it was that it's a game about a monster hunter voiced by the same guy who did Geralt. That got a little distracting.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

After watching some gameplay videos, Hades seems like the combat I've always wanted out of a Diablo-style RPG. Are there any other ARPGs that play like this?

to me Children of Morta feels very Diablo-y in its fight feel, more so even than Hades

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

doctorthefonz posted:

to me Children of Morta feels very Diablo-y in its fight feel, more so even than Hades

Whoa I'd never even heard of this. Steam thread delivers.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Hot drat. Final episode of Kentucky Route Zero is officially out on January 28th. What year is this? Am I in the future?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Children of Morta is very OG Diablo, Book of Demons is literally OG Diablo but cards?

Hades manages to be a roguelike with compelling writing, which is quite impressive. Usually I didn't give a gently caress about characters or lore in these games but I actually enjoyed talking to the Gods and bosses and all. Supergiant is amazing at writing characters.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

it's a little divisive but i enjoyed it a lot, very chunky combat. apparently it's good in co-op but in my experience it's totally fine solo
e: morta that is

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Too Shy Guy posted:

Quest 5 is a hell of a thing, especially the ending. Not at all where I expected the game to go, and I kind of love it.

I went into Demoncrawl expecting minesweeper + generic fantasy elements, not actually intriguing writing!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
FWIW I enjoyed Morta at first but I soured on it pretty quickly. The game is gorgeous and I love the variety in all of the characters, but it has a lot of problems.
  • The dungeons are all exactly the same aside from aesthetics
  • Item variety is pretty small and there's no real chance to make insane combos like in, say, Risk of Rain
  • Success is often tied to how many health refills drop from enemies, which is entirely RNG
  • Survival during normal combat almost always comes down to a shitton of kiting, regardless of character. Even the shield guy has to kite a bunch to survive.
  • Bosses hit way too hard, so you don't often have time to learn their mechanics before you're dead
  • Bosses also have way too much health, so even once you know their mechanics you can easily gently caress up a few times and lose because they hit like trucks
  • Every time you lose to a boss you have to go through a full 2-4 floor dungeon again before you can even take another shot
There's definitely some fun meaty combat in there but it feels like an Early Access game that still needs to be tweaked, and it's not in EA anymore.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I did a thing. :toot:-

The Hat cheev isn't even that difficult. Much friendlier to attempt than the Gnome thing in HL2. There's several hub areas and non linear parts you can leave the hat and come back to it later, which helps. The only truly tricky part was getting it through the reactor portals.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dias posted:

Children of Morta is very OG Diablo, Book of Demons is literally OG Diablo but cards?

Hades manages to be a roguelike with compelling writing, which is quite impressive. Usually I didn't give a gently caress about characters or lore in these games but I actually enjoyed talking to the Gods and bosses and all. Supergiant is amazing at writing characters.

Book of Demons is Diablo on rails, literally. It's an interesting idea that I think was ultimately poorly implemented by having most enemies not on rails.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Gemcraft: Frostborn Wrath is out!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Oh hey I didn't even know there was a new one. Tower Defense games are my guilty pleasure and I love them as a connoisseur of TD, and Gemcraft is def one of the better ones on Steam. I'll pick it up tonight.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Most ARPGs aren't as fast as Hades. But for direct control, Victor Vran is the obvious. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing can also be played with direct control. Pagan Online is a direct control based combat game. Console Diablo 3 is also really great.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fuckin hell yeah

I ended up putting 89 hours into chasing shadows, a game I got in a bundle, so I think I should actually give them money this time.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Yami Fenrir posted:

important Monster Hunter Worlds PSA:

:siren: There is a feature that deletes your save games atm. :siren:

Unrecoverably.

Here's what's happening:

Sometime before the dlc, the game swapped save game formats. If you have not played for a long time (like I did), you will still have the old one.

The DLC client cannot detect the old format right now.

Because of that, it will ask you to create a new save file. Doing so will overwrite your local AND Cloud Save.

There is only one way to fix this, and it's before this hits you.

Go to MHW in your library, properties, dlc, and disable iceborn.

Then, load up the game, play a bit, save and exit, to make sure it converted your save to the new version.

After that, you should be fine.

I just wish I knew this beforehand.

:negative:

This happened to me :negative:. I actually have a few manual backup saves (that it didn't like either) which I'd like to fix, but disabling Iceborne doesn't seem to work. It still prompts me to make a new save with Iceborne.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DatonKallandor posted:

Most ARPGs aren't as fast as Hades. But for direct control, Victor Vran is the obvious.

I played Victor Vran for a bit, and the main thing I remember from it is that Doug Cockle made absolutely, utterly ZERO effort to not sound exactly like he does as Geralt of Rivia, which I found inexplicably hilarious

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Victor Vran really suffers due to the RPG elements being clunky and unrewarding. I never really felt like I was working towards a Build, just a handful of nice bonuses that complimented whatever weapon combo I had picked.

Also the default Sword + Shotgun combo is so effective and satisfying by itself that it's hard to want to experiment.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Victor Vran's builds really get going when you start to get legendary stuff with unique mechanics. They also had the very good idea of making the legendaries level-less, so you never feel bad for getting one early. All items of that style should work like that in every ARPG.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nordick posted:

I played Victor Vran for a bit, and the main thing I remember from it is that Doug Cockle made absolutely, utterly ZERO effort to not sound exactly like he does as Geralt of Rivia, which I found inexplicably hilarious
That and the extremely cringeworthy humor.
Well, apart from all the hat jokes. Those were mostly good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nordick posted:

I'm not sure I've played anything he doesn't sound like Geralt in. He's in Spellforce 3 and sure enough...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nordick posted:

What are the odds he was asked to sound like that by whoever was the voice director? Ask Steve Blum and Nolan North about having a wide range and being asked to do the same kind of voice a lot.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mordja posted:

I'm not sure I've played anything he doesn't sound like Geralt in. He's in Spellforce 3 and sure enough...

Come to think of it, I don't think I've played anything else he's been in than VV and The Witcher.

Mierenneuker posted:

What are the odds he was asked to sound like that by whoever was the voice director?

Now that you mention it, it does seem like a distinct possibility.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
According to IMDB, he actually did a (very much non-Geralt) voice in Second Sight. He was the bad guy.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 11, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

His character in Spellforce 3 is a bit of a goofy nod to Witcher so I wouldn't be surprised if that's intentional.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I talked poo poo about Pathologic 2 in this thread awhile back but I gave it another go and feel the need to rescind my prior statements.

This game is amazing. It took awhile to "click" but once it did I can't put it down. It's one of the most engaging games I've ever played.

There's nothing I've played that I can think of to even compare it to, it's like Disco Elysium levels of worldbuilding/storytelling combined with the stress level of the RE2 remake segments where Mr. X is chasing you, except its the whole game and you're also starving to death.

And just when you think you have it figured out and you're stable the game ratchets it up over again. Its been a long time since I've played something so frantic, stressful and engaging. It constantly makes you weigh risks and make hard decisions, and pays off big time if you persevere.

This game is fantastic and I feel really bad for making GBS threads all over it prematurely.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 11, 2020

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

Come to think of it, I don't think I've played anything else he's been in than VV and The Witcher.

Now that you mention it, it does seem like a distinct possibility.

He was in the episodic game Blues and Bullets playing Elliot Ness. Of course, being an episodic game, the devs popped out two episodes before folding because who would want to pay for episodes of a game before seeing if the story will ever be resolved.

Boy I'm glad the episodic game fad is mostly dead and buried now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sanitarium is 70 percent off as part of the DotEmu sale. I snapped it up and you should too- I haven’t played it in more than a decade, but remember it as a deeply weird and surprisingly sad game. If you like point and click adventure games you’ll love it.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I've heard that Sanitarium uses a lot of lame ableist ideas that were common to 90's media in regards to mental heath/institutions, just a heads up.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If anyone is curious about Dragon Quest Builders 2, I'm hanging out and giving it a try tonight: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

EDIT: That's a wrap for tonight, but man, this is really fun.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 11, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ah, ditching the main story of AC Origins and going out there to do all the side content, and the DLC, was a good choice. Bayek's "assassinated" so many people by punching them in the shoulder (they were clearly just rolling on the floor in pain) because I hadn't even waited for the blades to become available. Somehow, after all that, I still need to kill more crocs for crafting.

Does AC Odyssey allow you to ignore the plot and go sidequesting/exploring for 60 hours?

The Silver Snail posted:

I've heard that Sanitarium uses a lot of lame ableist ideas that were common to 90's media in regards to mental heath/institutions, just a heads up.
It's nowhere near as bad as a real institution.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Does AC Odyssey allow you to ignore the plot and go sidequesting/exploring for 60 hours?

Almost immediately, though the level gating is a tiny bit stricter so you will need to do it in a vague order, but there's always 2+ options for each range.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SelenicMartian posted:

There are some important upgrades tied to plot points where you might want to follow the main storyline at least up to the point where you leave Phokis (~16), but the game expects that you'll be doing a lot of sidequesting along the way. The main storyline will take you through most of the islands naturally, and the rest are usually tied to some major questline involving a cultist and/or mythical beast.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress me, I wanna play Monster Hunter, but I got an older PC and this new anti cheat system this game now has pretty much slows my poo poo down after three or so hunts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

If anyone is curious about Dragon Quest Builders 2, I'm hanging out and giving it a try tonight: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

EDIT: That's a wrap for tonight, but man, this is really fun.
i gave it my game of the year for a reason!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

exquisite tea posted:

There are some important upgrades tied to plot points where you might want to follow the main storyline at least up to the point where you leave Phokis (~16), but the game expects that you'll be doing a lot of sidequesting along the way. The main storyline will take you through most of the islands naturally, and the rest are usually tied to some major questline involving a cultist and/or mythical beast.

yeah ultimately you can gently caress aroundd as much as you want, but you'll find yourself "backtracking" to revisit places if you end up loving around and then going back to the main quests; and because it's a loving massive 1000 hr game with an obscenely large map (5x the amount of Origin at the very least), you probably want to minize backtracking. so i'd suggest doing the main story and sticking around the nearby areas it takes you as part of your side-questing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fargin Icehole posted:

gently caress me, I wanna play Monster Hunter, but I got an older PC and this new anti cheat system this game now has pretty much slows my poo poo down after three or so hunts.

Apparently Iceborne has some big performance issues like a memory leak, no idea if it's connected to the anti-cheat but do keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there any way to play MH World without dropping for the full game? I'm interested but don't even know if I like it.

:filez:?