Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Julius CSAR posted:

I think the best 3D experience (maybe the best cinema experience period) I've ever had was Gravity in IMAX 3D. Totally worth the extra cost.

Tron Legacy in IMAX 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

so uh Black Christmas didn't do so hot, though it's Blumhouse and reportedly only cost $5 million to make

Black Christmas had some of the worst dialogue and weakest characters I've ever seen in a movie, and I've seen some real poo poo. Any momentum they might have had from Blumhouse being involved would have been erased by word of mouth after a Friday/Saturday schedule.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

istewart posted:

Doctor Strange is one of the few movies for which I ended up happy I paid the 3D premium. Visually, at least, I felt it was the most original and distinctive of the Marvel movies.

I can appreciate the criticisms of plot, pacing, and characterization, though. Strange's arc is pretty much a carbon copy of Iron Man's. I have to imagine they plan on slotting in Cumberbatch as quipper-in-chief for their next "saga" now that Downey Jr. is out, and they want to protect that status at all costs. Here's hoping they don't manage to surpass ST: Into Darkness as the benchmark for utterly wasting the dude's talent.

These are pretty much my thoughts as well, but I'll add that there were a few clever bits they did that I still really like; namely how they end up dealing with the main villain at the end. I wish there was more stuff like that in the MCU, have someone who beats the bad guys with trickery and guile instead of punching a blue laser into space.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Tron Legacy in IMAX 3D
Yeah this. Gravity was good, but this is probably my absolute favorite.

Also Black Christmas was godawful and I'm glad it bombed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I had an astigmatism when Legacy came out and couldn't see the 3D properly :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Back when ThinkGeek was a website with useful niche things, they sold 2D glasses. As in, glasses you'd wear to a 3D movie that converts the picture to 2D. Seems like a godsend for people with vision problems and anyone who just hates 3D.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Julius CSAR posted:

I think the best 3D experience (maybe the best cinema experience period) I've ever had was Gravity in IMAX 3D. Totally worth the extra cost.

That and Avatar. Despite everything else wrong with it at least it looked fantastic in 3D. Avatar and Gravity are in fact the only 2 movies where I feel 3D enhanced rather than subtracted from the experience

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
how am I the first person to mention Hugo

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kind of get the feeling they did that because if you state that OJ didn't do it Nicole Brown Simpson's surviving family will sue the gently caress out of you, and if you state that he did OJ will sue the gently caress out of you instead

Any kind of fictional depiction of the murder is in a no-win situation until it passes far enough into history that the surviving major players aren't interested in being litigious about it

Naw, OJ lost the civil suit, you can call him a murderer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
There’s also the robbery at gunpoint

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Goddamn I forgot Tron Legacy. Yeah that was phenomenal. Same guy writing and directing Top Gun 2

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

Back when ThinkGeek was a website with useful niche things
I regret not getting the Blade Runner umbrella for myself. Gave it to a friend instead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I guess you could always get a Death Stranding umbrella.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Monster Hunter movie is weird especially since there's technically precedent in the Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker crossover where Big Boss finds a giant paw shaped island where Monster Hunter monsters live (including one monster that's basically an organic version of Metal Gear REX created specifically for that game) and fights them with machine guns and rocket launchers (and they're still among the hardest bosses in the game). And the ultimate gear drop from them is a human slingshot.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

this twitter thread is super good if you haven't seen it

https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status/1215631541579198464?s=20
(you'll never guess the movie from the thumb alone)

edit: well it's a smaller thumb that cuts off Robin Williams on twitter anyway

https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status/1215631550383034370?s=20

https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status/1215631563045642241?s=20

https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status/1215631653923586048?s=20

https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status/1215633999248359424?s=20

https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status/1215655291360108544?s=20

it's somehow battier than actual Jodorowky Dune
https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status/1215647171980267521?s=20

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 12, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

Goddamn I forgot Tron Legacy. Yeah that was phenomenal. Same guy writing and directing Top Gun 2

Writing was not exactly the strong point of Tron Legacy though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee posted:

this twitter thread is super good if you haven't seen it

Poland has a rival

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I usually avoided 3D films, but saw Tron Legacy in theaters. For me, it was the worst 3D I saw. Everything out of the computer world was 2D, and once you got in the characters were still 2D in a 3D world. Everyone looked like a cardboard standee that moved. It was extremely distracting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alan Smithee posted:

so uh Black Christmas didn't do so hot, though it's Blumhouse and reportedly only cost $5 million to make

It was somehow worse than the completely loving insane 2006 remake.

EDIT: And it's also making less money thirteen years later.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 12, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

These are still fun, but the overwhelming majority of the ones posted are either commissioned by white Americans to be zany or are outright painted in America to mimic the style of African DIY posters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

Haha, I had no idea it was the same guy. The first thing that makes me consider seeing Top Gun 2.

Joseph Kosinski did Oblivion too. It would be cool if he became Christopher McQuarrie v2 for Cruise.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

These are still fun, but the overwhelming majority of the ones posted are either commissioned by white Americans to be zany or are outright painted in America to mimic the style of African DIY posters.

Yeah, that's what I assume whenever I see these nowadays. The Ghost Dog one is art though.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Right: the artists seem to know something about the films, at least enough to paint a passable Mrs Doubtfire and Jeff Goldblum, know what a predator looks like, know Dune is about a desert planet, etc. I'll grant that maybe they only had box art or what they could google.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Uhh what

https://youtu.be/gr4wJSqQRy8

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tron: Legacy is the best feature length music video ever made and I mean that in an absolutely sincere way. Just watch it for the visuals and score, they’re fantastic. I love that movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Conan the Barbarian too

I absolutely love both films

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tron: Legacy is the best feature length music video ever made and I mean that in an absolutely sincere way. Just watch it for the visuals and score, they’re fantastic. I love that movie.

I loved Tron Legacy, but last year's Sound & Fury blew it away.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

got any sevens posted:

Conan the Barbarian too

I absolutely love both films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRTPf0g4h9s

Here's Basil Poledouris conducting a live orchestra performing the Conan score in 2006, four months before he passed away.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

"I'm tired and I smell like jail" is a great line though.

Also, I'm pretty sure McQuarrie is heavily involved in the script too, so that's a good sign.

Davros1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRTPf0g4h9s

Here's Basil Poledouris conducting a live orchestra performing the Conan score in 2006, four months before he passed away.

Basil is so drat good. His score for Hunt For Red October is like the ultimate pressure cooker submarine movie score

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Right: the artists seem to know something about the films, at least enough to paint a passable Mrs Doubtfire and Jeff Goldblum, know what a predator looks like, know Dune is about a desert planet, etc. I'll grant that maybe they only had box art or what they could google.

Not sure how chow fun fat and a machete psycho wound up in white chicks. Would have been a more interesting movie

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Maybe if Jodorowsky was packing heat like that he could have got the movie made.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The most interesting thing about Dr. Strange is that about 80% of the bad guys in action scenes are taken out by slapstick accidents. It's a weird, goofy tone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Catfishenfuego posted:

The most interesting thing about Dr. Strange is that about 80% of the bad guys in action scenes are taken out by slapstick accidents. It's a weird, goofy tone.
It's a story about a white guy failing upwards.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1216820616923439111?s=20

YES HAHAHA YES

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jack & Jill 2, he gets DeNiro and Scorsese to do a Dunkacino commercial with Pacino and Kathy Bates.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh no, another adam sandler holiday film

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Jack & Jill 2, he gets DeNiro and Scorsese to do a Dunkacino commercial with Pacino and Kathy Bates.

quoting this to be a part of history

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
He's gonna remake Cats, but with dogs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Cats 2: Dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Who are we kidding, whatever it is will be the highest grossing film of 2021