Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think he rotoscopes so every frame is drawn from the photo instead of drawn from the last frame, so every artist slightly changes what details do or do not get painted over and how so frame to frame everything sort of looks like it's constantly moving. Like every frame seems rotoscoped right from the picture, instead of remembering what details the previous frame focused on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
it's weird, bakshi's cow-milking doesn't bother me at all, but i couldn't watch universally beloved animation classic coraline because of the hyperactive character animation. i had exactly the same complaints about that film that people make about bakshi, characters just spasming and jerking and flipping out all over the place with nauseating results, but i am literally the only person i've ever known to have had that problem. meanwhile the bizarre body language of bakshi's gandalf (the worst offender) just reads to me as a flamboyant old jewish man getting hysterical, which if anything added to my enjoyment

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
when he's doing the "one ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them" speech, gandalf pulls off a beautiful little pirouette that made me lose my poo poo irl

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
...it's worth mentioning that i gesticulate and randomly dance around like a bakshi wizard in real life, i can't help it, i was born like this

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

nankeen posted:

when he's doing the "one ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them" speech, gandalf pulls off a beautiful little pirouette that made me lose my poo poo irl

It's not just you! That moment is comedy gold, as is the whole scene, with Frodo awkwardly dodging around as Gandalf flips his poo poo in a magical fashion

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like a lot of the art style and overall look of Bakshi's film, but as a narrative, well, it doesn't really work, and there are a lot of odd decisions. (Making Sam a total comic relief idiot really hurts things, even the super-kiddified Rankin Bass Return of the King doesn't do that.) It works better as animated van art than anything else.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Maxwell Lord posted:

animated van art

that's... honestly a perfect description of Bakshi's style

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like a lot of the art style and overall look of Bakshi's film, but as a narrative, well, it doesn't really work, and there are a lot of odd decisions. (Making Sam a total comic relief idiot really hurts things, even the super-kiddified Rankin Bass Return of the King doesn't do that.) It works better as animated van art than anything else.

Yeah, I already ranted about it in the GBS thread some, but Sam is so bad in this. The scene where Frodo is confiding in him and he wanders off whistling may be the biggest bad laugh in a movie full of them, and it's unforgivable in a film that is otherwise shockingly okay-to-good when it does emotional character bits. (The scene with Frodo and Bilbo at Rivendell is almost completely successful! Just... ignore the body language.)

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i should have asked this at the start, but before i get any more emotionally attached to the man, can someone tell me if bakshi's a creep

obviously nobody escaped the 70s with their innocence intact, it was a horny time, but i mean like a kricfalusi creep

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

nankeen posted:

i should have asked this at the start, but before i get any more emotionally attached to the man, can someone tell me if bakshi's a creep

obviously nobody escaped the 70s with their innocence intact, it was a horny time, but i mean like a kricfalusi creep

John K has close ties with Bakshi (worked under him on various stuff during the 80s, got Bakshi to guest star as himself in Adult Party Cartoon) but it seems like Bakshi isn't John K level

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

it seems like Bakshi isn't John K level
so help me, in this day and age this is all i can ask of a man

ps, it's been a slow time for animation but i promise as soon as the thread moves onto something else i will stop talking about bakshi. until my wizards dvd turns up and sets me off again

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
From what I gather, Bakshi and John K haven't been on good terms in a very long time, and the obvious reason is probably why.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jon K on top of being a pedo is an incredible egomaniac and have positioned himself as the Sole Expert in animation history and what's good and not, I imagine that on top of the way he basically considers things like deadlines and consistency to be optional are what drove people away as much as he is being a creep.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Speaking of 70s sex weird related to animation, R. Crumb is apparently still alive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Speaking of 70s sex weird related to animation, R. Crumb is apparently still alive.

Now I’m wondering if Salacious Crumb is named after him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I should probably throw out there that Fritz the Cat is actually a really loving good movie and, if you haven't seen it or just remember it as a bunch of weird furry sex, you should probably give it another look.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just left a screening of Frozen 2. Oh my god its so much worse than the prerelease material we had made it seem.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Just left a screening of Frozen 2. Oh my god its so much worse than the prerelease material we had made it seem.

Does this time hole work both ways? Please tell me not to take a 4yo to Universal Studios.

He loves Transformers:The Movie. I hope in a few years he can enjoy it at a deeper level for just how weird it is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the original transformers movie is so weird and bad

it's got some really, really good scenes, a fair amount of them really, but it's just not good overall, which is a bummer

especially with the whole "we are going to systematically horrifically murder all the characters you've come to know and love in this five minute opening sequence", whose effects can be felt to this day with the recent star wars movie even

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I didn't realize you hadn't seen it yet! Go back and read everything I wrote about it if you didn't based on spoilers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Transformers: The Movie messed up young me but in the way that a thought provoking movie lingers with you, except you know, youre a dumb as hell kid and its a movie about toys that features the song dare to be stupid.

Pick posted:

I didn't realize you hadn't seen it yet! Go back and read everything I wrote about it if you didn't based on spoilers.

I couldnt make the free showing, and after the prerelease material didnt care to, but the stars aligned to go see it this week and its so much worse.

Im really curious when somebody in Disney figured out a Vegvisir is a white power symbol, for instance.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RE: Transformers the Movie chat, I’m reminded of hbomberguy’s “April fools except it’s for real” video essay analysis of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7f26gVlDQI

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Regalingualius posted:

RE: Transformers the Movie chat, I’m reminded of hbomberguy’s “April fools except it’s for real” video essay analysis of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7f26gVlDQI

One point H-Boy makes that I felt was very astute was that Optimus Prime is mostly another forgettable 80s cartoon hero except for the fact that he gets killed in the film. Lion-O, Quicksilver and most of their kind have largely fallen by the wayside, but Optimus Prime sets himself apart from them by having a memorable death.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 12, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually think the Transformers animated film is a fun, creative ride and succeeds entirely at what it seeks to do.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Too bad o prime would survive to turn into a genocidal dictator in the bay films who would execute his enemies in cold blood after pretending to be in a truce

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Frozen 2 is Thor Ragnorak without recompense. What a loving disgusting Euro apologist theme.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 12, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schwarzwald posted:

One point H-Boy makes that I felt was very astute was that Optimus Prime is mostly another forgettable 80s cartoon hero except for the fact that he gets killed in the film. Lion-O, Quicksilver and most of their kind have largely fallen by the wayside, but Optimus Prime sets himself apart from them by having a memorable death.

Funny thing is that it's also set a precedent for Optimus dying (and coming back to life) in almost every Transformers incarnation since. Though I think he was super popular beforehand in any case; he's basically Superman as a giant robot truck, and an unusual case in being a cartoon protagonist who isn't meant to be a kid identification character but a mature and principled leader- basically the perfect dad figure for generations of audiences.

Pick posted:

I actually think the Transformers animated film is a fun, creative ride and succeeds entirely at what it seeks to do.

I thought you meant Transformers Animated for a bit, which is funny because in retrospect it's like a gender swapped Steven Universe, with a little girl and her giant robot dads.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

gohmak posted:

Frozen 2 is Thor Ragnorak without recompense. What a loving disgusting Euro apologist theme.

My favorite part about it was this movie felt like it was really showcasing "no, black people live in arendel too!" and showing "arendel was bad to natives" which both independently feel like positive takes from the movie but then were combined specifically to "the black guy who lives in arendel was mean to the natives"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In addition to the various narrative complaints (its so bad, its just, so so bad) about the film it feels like Tom Hooper guest directed a couple of the music scenes which is fascinating for a film where literally none of it physically exists

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I liked the reindeer :3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a protracted shot at the end of reindeer running in a large circle and there is no narrative or thematic purpose to it and its not even visually interesting because you are so high up they're just blobs. In the overall scope of everything wrong with Frozen 2 this is incredibly minor but it stuck with me from just a bafflement level like the multiple songs where they decided "our animated movie doesn't need backgrounds, the infinite black void is perfectly good!"

Also Im still laughing at how extremely unnecessary the four elements concept was especially given Disney internally knew it was not a smart move from a global perspective. And yes I know its the highest grossing animated film or whatever but you should have seen the internal projections and in my market its basically tanked versus it being a global cornerstone last time.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 13, 2020

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The five elements: water horse, a lizard, many rock men that are unrelated to the little rock men that were central to the first movie, the actual wind and human ice. Who are all spirits that are separate entities to the chaotic spirits that were shaking up the town

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

wow, Frozen 2 didn't get an Oscar nomination. I'd imagine Toy Story 4 is probably the frontrunner for this as it's almost certainly the most watched of the five that did get nominated.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DC Murderverse posted:

wow, Frozen 2 didn't get an Oscar nomination. I'd imagine Toy Story 4 is probably the frontrunner for this as it's almost certainly the most watched of the five that did get nominated.

man, I forgot toy story 4 even came out this year. It's so forgettable. It feels like 3 netflix specials glued together.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Give the award to Klaus, cowards

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is I lost my body good? It's the only show I'm not familiar with

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is I lost my body good? It's the only show I'm not familiar with

I thought it was real good. It's like two stories intecut, with one being a high concept mostly wordless adventure of a severed human hand that needs to do a bunch of adventure game style tasks to cross a city and get back to it's arm mixed with a super small story of a pizza delivery boy that falls in love with a girl and becomes a woodworking apprentice to impress her/be near her and I love that it's a movie that made me keep thinking "ugg, get me through this part about a severed hand fighting rats so I can get back to watching the good part"

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Barudak posted:

Also Im still laughing at how extremely unnecessary the four elements concept was especially given Disney internally knew it was not a smart move from a global perspective.

Is there a story behind this? I'm not caught up.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

By that logic, Klaus would have a decent chance since it was on Netflix over the holidays. They wouldn’t even have to leave their homes to take their kids to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao if it goes to Missing Link which it might as well. What a year.