Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sid Vicious posted:

When gbs went lawless everyone was finally allowed to tell him what they thought of him with no repercussions and boy oh boy did they ever

I think by then even the people who enjoyed his schoolbook scribble style content had found it wore a bit thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Aside from his self-indulgent comics, what else did he do to earn such a torrent of abuse?

being the dumb macho kinda poo poo like maddox with as much wacky "pirates are badass!!!! and they gently caress all teh womenz with big boobs". of course old GBS loved him lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sid Vicious posted:

When gbs went lawless everyone was finally allowed to tell him what they thought of him with no repercussions and boy oh boy did they ever

It was the only thing I liked about GBS snapping. Not worth the whole thing, but holy poo poo that guy would take over threads with his dumb mspaint comics a lot.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think by then even the people who enjoyed his schoolbook scribble style content had found it wore a bit thin.

Oh, absolutely, but god drat they were harsh on him. Then again, the same folks who went ham on him were generally the same ones who made GBS into a racist hellhole, ie, FYAD.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was the only thing I liked about GBS snapping. Not worth the whole thing, but holy poo poo that guy would take over threads with his dumb mspaint comics a lot.

i remember part of his challenge when i said his comics sucked that i should draw myself getting prison raped and then he'd leave. cool person to have around

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, absolutely, but god drat they were harsh on him. Then again, the same folks who went ham on him were generally the same ones who made GBS into a racist hellhole, ie, FYAD.

lmao it was gbs who turned gbs like that when tasting lowercase posting but ill just leave it at that

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah, poo poo like that is why the first few days of nu gbs felt like a relief, imo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

slinkimalinki posted:

Yeah, poo poo like that is why the first few days of nu gbs felt like a relief, imo

I got a kick out of it at first but kind of wish it stuck to its supposed original plan of “no rules for Halloween weekend then back to heavy moderation” instead of all the cuck meme, “im gay” posts, and whatnot. Clearing house and venting was cool but it got pretty weird pretty quick.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

I got a kick out of it at first but kind of wish it stuck to its supposed original plan of “no rules for Halloween weekend then back to heavy moderation” instead of all the cuck meme, “im gay” posts, and whatnot. Clearing house and venting was cool but it got pretty weird pretty quick.

it turned real loving bad real fuckin fast which is why ive wished for proper capitalization newsposting gbs to come back. at least it was funny unintentionally.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

even if you thought FYAD was a racist nazi hellhole or whatever, nu-gbs was significantly worse than that. The worst it's ever been, even.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ArfJason posted:

i remember part of his challenge when i said his comics sucked that i should draw myself getting prison raped and then he'd leave. cool person to have around

See, now this is a good reason for making Hellbastard gently caress off, this right here. I won't poo poo on someone for making bad comics because at least they're trying to entertain and post content, but joking about prison rape is a lovely thing to do.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
My favorite bit about the nuking of GBS 2.0 were the angry posters who were upset they couldn't say the n-word in GBS or ruin every thread by saying "i'm gay" over and over anymore and said Lowtax had been powercucked into it by the admins.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Lowtax coming back and decreeing you could say the T-slur again

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The im gay thing was driven into the ground, but the goon who went by Cuck Cuck I'm Gay made me laugh every time someone quoted them and their name was filtered.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Daikloktos posted:

Oh yeah, that was also the time he was like "I have always respected tr****es!" or something and was flummoxed when people told him that was a slur

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Daikloktos posted:

someone find the quote about the mods and admins joining hands to summon lowtax, who says it's cool to say "retard" again.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Yeah the absolute worst thing about Hellbastard is that he was a pizza cutter - all edge and no point. Basically just a rape joke factory among other things, which is why he needed driving off. He did like to take over other threads with his stupid loving skull character as well which was even more irritating.

That nu-GBS basically started tearing down ANY thread with content rather than just poo poo ones has hurt us in the long run though because now we don't get the genuinely cool art/CYOA threads that you would find in old GBS. I guess it's another variant of goons running poo poo into the ground, as they often do. :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I Said No posted:

Yeah the absolute worst thing about Hellbastard is that he was a pizza cutter - all edge and no point. Basically just a rape joke factory among other things, which is why he needed driving off. He did like to take over other threads with his stupid loving skull character as well which was even more irritating.

That nu-GBS basically started tearing down ANY thread with content rather than just poo poo ones has hurt us in the long run though because now we don't get the genuinely cool art/CYOA threads that you would find in old GBS. I guess it's another variant of goons running poo poo into the ground, as they often do. :smith:

And on news threads- yes, GBS is not an RSS, but a lot of the GBS current events threads were crazy informative. The Boston Bombing one comes to mind for me- I was living in mass at the time, my brother lived on the block where the carjacking guy escaped at a gas station, and one of my oldest friends lost a foot in the bombing, but somehow the GBS thread got me the best and most accurate news.

Back then, GBS was popular enough you had goons with scanners, connections, actively involved, the whole nine, GBS news threads were way better than they got credit for.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

And on news threads- yes, GBS is not an RSS, but a lot of the GBS current events threads were crazy informative. The Boston Bombing one comes to mind for me- I was living in mass at the time, my brother lived on the block where the carjacking guy escaped at a gas station, and one of my oldest friends lost a foot in the bombing, but somehow the GBS thread got me the best and most accurate news.

Back then, GBS was popular enough you had goons with scanners, connections, actively involved, the whole nine, GBS news threads were way better than they got credit for.

That thread was a much better source of information than anything else. I do miss those.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

xcheopis posted:

That thread was a much better source of information than anything else. I do miss those.

It was insane, I remember being at the bar when the bombing actually hit the news and refreshing the thread since there was a goon posting police scanner updates and that was well ahead of CNN and everyone wanted updates.It's even better when you look at what happened with Reddit, where it went on an amateur detective binge and kicked off a manhunt early. There was a bit of that on the SA thread, but it got slapped down fairly quickly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's even more direct than that, I'm still pretty sure like half of bronies are former Sonic fans, and the other half are weebs, and they brought all their bad habits with them.

Oh yea the venn diagram for sonic fans and bronies is probably a single circle. People who make things like this
https://youtu.be/zxGGMYZqJhk

SA has let me learn about so many terrible, terrible videos on youtube.

if you have time, The down the rabbit holes that feature SA content are here
Chris-Chan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPtLvxO8hs
Temple OS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgoxQCf5Jg

I think we get mentioned in Final Fantasy House and Star Citizen but I think its a smaller amount than those. It's a great channel in general.

Also I remember when Gamer Gate was a thing, when the guy who was upset a woman didn't want to have sex with him so he planned to ruin her life came here and asked for help and we told him to gently caress off, the Game Gate Threads were like one of the few places online that actually saw through the BS smokescreen of "its about ethics in game journalism!" and it just being about hating women who has radical ideas like "maybe not have all women be sexualized" or "maybe not all games have to be male power fantasies" or even "this game isn't very good". Which lead to SA being branded as a hot bed of SJW activity by the GG crowd. That was pretty god drat funny to see.

Oh and I remember a thread about someone who lived in like the backyard shed of another guy and lived like a baby? I only remember a video he posted of a tour of his shed where he slept in a crib. I wonder if these threads no longer exist because weirdos aren't compelled to post their lives in the open as much, and keep to social media or specific forums, or that no one bothers tracking these people down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I only remember a video he posted of a tour of his shed where he slept in a crib. I wonder if these threads no longer exist because weirdos aren't compelled to post their lives in the open as much, and keep to social media or specific forums, or that no one bothers tracking these people down.

If you listen to the F Plus, they talk about that on their 200th episode retrospective. It's not sites and blogs anymore, it's mostly social media. It means finding the weird internet poo poo is way harder but it means that when you do find it, they've already stumbled upon each other and have echo chambered it to hell and back. There's some high-octane poo poo out there but you can't just google "sex dolls" and get a parade of weirdoes.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

It was insane, I remember being at the bar when the bombing actually hit the news and refreshing the thread since there was a goon posting police scanner updates and that was well ahead of CNN and everyone wanted updates.It's even better when you look at what happened with Reddit, where it went on an amateur detective binge and kicked off a manhunt early. There was a bit of that on the SA thread, but it got slapped down fairly quickly.

The Christopher Dorner thread was similarly great

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The thread for anyone wanting to read the subsequent responses.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3310326&perpage=40&pagenumber=72#post412934769

Spoiler Alert: She married him anyways.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And almost everything he said was going to happen did happen, iirc

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

pentyne posted:

She married him anyways.
He was right, but why'd he have to be so rude?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea the venn diagram for sonic fans and bronies is probably a single circle. People who make things like this
https://youtu.be/zxGGMYZqJhk

SA has let me learn about so many terrible, terrible videos on youtube.

if you have time, The down the rabbit holes that feature SA content are here
Chris-Chan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPtLvxO8hs
Temple OS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgoxQCf5Jg

I think we get mentioned in Final Fantasy House and Star Citizen but I think its a smaller amount than those. It's a great channel in general.

Also I remember when Gamer Gate was a thing, when the guy who was upset a woman didn't want to have sex with him so he planned to ruin her life came here and asked for help and we told him to gently caress off, the Game Gate Threads were like one of the few places online that actually saw through the BS smokescreen of "its about ethics in game journalism!" and it just being about hating women who has radical ideas like "maybe not have all women be sexualized" or "maybe not all games have to be male power fantasies" or even "this game isn't very good". Which lead to SA being branded as a hot bed of SJW activity by the GG crowd. That was pretty god drat funny to see.

Oh and I remember a thread about someone who lived in like the backyard shed of another guy and lived like a baby? I only remember a video he posted of a tour of his shed where he slept in a crib. I wonder if these threads no longer exist because weirdos aren't compelled to post their lives in the open as much, and keep to social media or specific forums, or that no one bothers tracking these people down.

The Final Fantasy House is loving nuts, and is a good read if you need something to shock you into getting your poo poo together. It's an :allbuttons: experience.

Here's the Down the Rabbit Hole video for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFRjrLmc_4c

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Final Fantasy House is loving nuts, and is a good read if you need something to shock you into getting your poo poo together. It's an :allbuttons: experience.

When did final fantasy house hit the forums? I remember reading it here in my lurking days. 07? 08?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

it turned real loving bad real fuckin fast which is why ive wished for proper capitalization newsposting gbs to come back. at least it was funny unintentionally.

Proper capitalization/old GBS had something that new GBS seems to have lost. It is hard to say what exactly, but well made posts were... That really, well made.

The comedy came when posters thought that good posting equalled a place you can serious post.

God I miss some of the E/N train wreck threads.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

When did final fantasy house hit the forums? I remember reading it here in my lurking days. 07? 08?

It looks like it all went down around 2002. Here's the site with stories, plus a dumb Vice article:

http://www.demon-sushi.com/warning/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gdwvp/the-tale-of-the-final-fantasy-vii-house-is-a-window-into-the-dark-side-of-cosplay-529

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bogus Adventure posted:

For the longest time I thought it's was the other kin cult Prestor Jane had been in.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Wait what

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

For the longest time I thought it's was the other kin cult Prestor Jane had been in.

Story time!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Is that after or the same as the psycho religious cult she was raised in?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Since gimmicks came up a bit ago, does anyone remember that goon that would create a thread every once in a while or pop up in other threads and complain about the smell from doggy-style sex, and he would juuuuust kinda let on that he was confusing a vagina with an rear end in a top hat?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Grem posted:

Since gimmicks came up a bit ago, does anyone remember that goon that would create a thread every once in a while or pop up in other threads and complain about the smell from doggy-style sex, and he would juuuuust kinda let on that he was confusing a vagina with an rear end in a top hat?

Yeah, it just happened again a month or two ago but I'm not sure if it was the original goon or a copycat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I'd suggest you ask them, I do not feel qualified to tell their story.

But yea Final Fantasy house is just insane. I cannot imagine being so isolated and friendless that "hey you might be the soul of a video game character reborn" makes so much sense to you that you'd want to uproot your entire life and live as basically a slave to two people.

I never knew if SuperMechaGodzilla was a gimmick account or really had insane deep movie theories.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd suggest you ask them, I do not feel qualified to tell their story.

But yea Final Fantasy house is just insane. I cannot imagine being so isolated and friendless that "hey you might be the soul of a video game character reborn" makes so much sense to you that you'd want to uproot your entire life and live as basically a slave to two people.

I never knew if SuperMechaGodzilla was a gimmick account or really had insane deep movie theories.

The internet has proven that there's basically no bottom to the 'so lonely and miserable that any company at all is better than none' demographic, especially given decades of capitalist atomisation and alienation in suburban hell.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I know someone who was in the FF house and they're kind of still traumautized by it today. one of the more hosed up houses

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

gently caress. I wish them the best in recovering. The accounts from different people sound like a nightmare, like one of those super hosed-up cults.