Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Chuds McGreedy posted:

I’m curious, would bait work?

At least in my experience in single-player, bait never loving works for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

bait's fantastic for when you want to lure out something valuable like that cougar you've been hearing scream and tracking for 20 minutes, and then the game spawns a bunch of coyotes who eat your bait instead.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

webmeister posted:

At least in my experience in single-player, bait never loving works for anything

No, I've baited stuff in SP - not counting the story mission Legendary Grizzly - and gotten results. Probably didn't really *need* to bait the grizzly up near Wallace Station, but whatever. Baited panthers down near Catfish Jackson's place - predator baits will draw *everything* of that class; had a bunch of coyotes showing up. Herbi baits, same thing - baiting for moose, I'd get: deer, bighorn, elk, and horses. Oh, and maybe one moose. And when something showed up almost immediately (place bait, turn around OH HI WHITETAIL) it was coming in so dumb I could walk up and faceshank it.

Maybe if you could place bait in a wagon and slowly amble it towards town? Of course, this depends on bait overcoming the spooking by the wagon.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Does bait even work in online?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Back Hack posted:

never tried it! i have shitloads too. i think i only used it story mode to help one of challenges. kill an animal then kill one thats scavenging the first one.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bait seems way worse online but that’s anecdotal for the whole two times I tried to use it.

Part of that is a function of the way hunting works online, though. If you’re baiting for “fun hunting” (as in, a specific catch you know is in the area) then maybe.

I’d rather run another hundred yards away and find another group of pronghorn/whitetail/etc. in online than wait for something to show up to bait.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Just a quick question about the epilogue, can I kill/skin the animals at Beecher's Hope without consequence? and will they respawn if I do?

webmeister posted:

I was under the impression it would make things spawn for you but I've just recently learnt that actually it'll only attract animals if they're already in the general area already.

So if you put down predator bait when there are no predators around it'll do jack poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also be a little careful with reports: I’ve had hackers that blew everyone up in the server - using my name, somehow. I don’t know rightly how you find the right guy, but some absolutely try to get other people hit for their crap.

Framing other players is probably the worst and most-used feature of the mod menus. They can probably also intercept/block the reports.

Professorjuggalo posted:

I played RDO for one day and was constantly trolled in the story missions and free roam till I gave up after a few hours

I’ll join the goon discord for the next time I try it out but I felt it being way worse than GTAO

Playing with friends is definitely the way to go, but yeah, without private sessions or even passive mode to retreat to, I don't think this will be tenable on PC for long.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I got my first perfect wolf pelt early on in SP when I found a tiny shack on stilts way out in the woods. Put some predator bait out so the spot would be visible from the shack and sat in the house with a rifle and waited.

Soon enough a wolf happened by and stopped right smack down in the middle of the doorway. One shot, perfectly clean.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Finally dropped the bucks on a Rolling Block. Snapfired a running pronghorn (no Deadeye) and got to watch the most ridiculous ragdolling - it was lying sideways in the air like it got hit by a truck in some cheesy action movie, and flew about 20 feet. The other who that were heading the same direction also got ganked, but not as silly-ily.

Did a distant delivery, 25 items, and while the end fight (Annesburg Station) was not as Wild Bunch as a lot turn out, the extra time to make the run wasn't worth the extra $16 I made.

Need to do another Collector OCD Run - I've got partial sets of everything, and quite a few dupe items. May as well get some money while I can, gotta move out of my current place by the end of the month (loving Pinkertons found it) and at the bare minimum, internet access will be limited.

Oh hey, someone else's Moonshiner run over there, buncha revenuers loitering... other player shows up, Fed assholes go hostile on *me*. Get hosed, G-men. <insert dual Navies going off really quickly by way of Paint It Black>

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Framing other players is probably the worst and most-used feature of the mod menus. They can probably also intercept/block the reports.

pretty sure the mod menu for GTA:O allowed you to cause people's game to crash when they tried to report you

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
With GTO, you might be able to defend Rockstar that the problems with cheaters in their game were too difficult to fix after the fact but they have absolutely no excuse with RDO. It should have been built from the ground up with the intention of not having the same vulnerabilities.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zesty posted:

With GTO, you might be able to defend Rockstar that the problems with cheaters in their game were too difficult to fix after the fact but they have absolutely no excuse with RDO. It should have been built from the ground up with the intention of not having the same vulnerabilities.

Yeah, well, I got a hang gliding horse says different.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I’m about 53% done with the game, apparently, hopping back in as a break from Yakuza im hoping to slowly finish it

is there a way to fix screen cutoffs, my TV is fine but I’m playing at my girlfriends and it cuts off the horse controls and stuff in the bottom right

Ed: my god this game is a lot to come back to after months, but that hud safezone feature is nice

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 11, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
They said that the latest patch fixed the Cripps has picked up your camp bug.

It has not fixed that bug.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they've said they fixed that bug like 5 times now

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My favorite is exiting while in camp, loading back in to camp, and the camp is still in the same location and my horse is there, but it's no longer my camp.

Also I had a fun interaction yesterday playing RDO. I was heading into Valentine for various sundries when I saw the wounded animal marker pop up on my radar. I've never been one to let an animal suffer, so I hopped on ol' Erebus and trotted over to investigate. Turns out, some poor cow poke's horse had gotten itself gravely injured, and this fella's owner was nowhere in sight. Well, as it happens I had a bottle of my own hand crafted horse reviver on my person, so I did the decent thing and administered an adequate dose to get the poor pony back up on his feet. All of a sudden, the feller that belonged to the horse ran back and saw what had happened. I gave 'im a friendly wave to let him know that I weren't ornery, and he gave me a friendly nod and we both went on about our business.

Sometimes the online world feels lifeless and drab without a ton of the single player touches, but then stuff like this will happen and remind me that it's good to dip my toes in with other people once in awhile. Of course then a hacker will spawn in and explode me and my horse and make it appear like I suicided but what ya gonna do.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i like the times i spawn into camp and then it takes me a minute to realise its not my loving camp. its someother jerks camp sitting right where mine SHOULD be and I'm in it. and i cant kill the false cripps or the false dog and its time to play session roulette again :rockstar:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

DrNutt posted:

My favorite is exiting while in camp, loading back in to camp, and the camp is still in the same location and my horse is there, but it's no longer my camp.

Also I had a fun interaction yesterday playing RDO. I was heading into Valentine for various sundries when I saw the wounded animal marker pop up on my radar. I've never been one to let an animal suffer, so I hopped on ol' Erebus and trotted over to investigate. Turns out, some poor cow poke's horse had gotten itself gravely injured, and this fella's owner was nowhere in sight. Well, as it happens I had a bottle of my own hand crafted horse reviver on my person, so I did the decent thing and administered an adequate dose to get the poor pony back up on his feet. All of a sudden, the feller that belonged to the horse ran back and saw what had happened. I gave 'im a friendly wave to let him know that I weren't ornery, and he gave me a friendly nod and we both went on about our business.

Sometimes the online world feels lifeless and drab without a ton of the single player touches, but then stuff like this will happen and remind me that it's good to dip my toes in with other people once in awhile. Of course then a hacker will spawn in and explode me and my horse and make it appear like I suicided but what ya gonna do.

i like clearing taxman roadblocks for random shiners. one guy yesterday could see me running around killing poo poo for him but stayed very far away watching from his shine wagon thru his scope. i dont think he trusted me.

collecting brings some funny moments too when you can tell someone is using the same map and rough route as you.

wherever Madam Nazar is you wanna be careful. the fact she sells unique items means players often have to go see her personally to buy that ring or those specs and so half the time some posse or sharpshooter is lurking there with explosive shells.

the player intetaction in this is really nice.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 12, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sleekly posted:

i like clearing taxman roadblocks for random shiners. one guy yesterday could see me running around killing poo poo for him but stayed very far away watching from his shine wagon thru his scope. i dont think he trusted me.

collecting brings some funny moments too when you can tell someone is using the same map and rough route as you.

wherever Madam Nazar is you wanna be careful. the fact she sells unique items means players often have to go see her personally to buy that ring or those specs and so half the time some posse or sharpshooter is lurking there with explosive shells.

the player intetaction is this is really nice.

Haha, I had a loving army of taxmen aggro on me in the swamp the other day and I was so confused because I am not a shiner and as of that point hadn't encountered their roadblocks. I played it very deliverance and murdered them all with my bow, knives, and hatchet. A couple minutes later I see some guy in a wagon hauling rear end past that roadblock and I was like "ohhhhhhhh"

Also I'm leveling up collector and trader right now and appreciate the cautionary advice, I haven't encountered that yet but I'm sure I'll probably run into it at some point before I hit 20.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I solved the big of spawning into the wrong camp by never actually being able to spawn in camp anyway.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

What if they were going to be waved through the checkpoint though? Does slaughtering the checkpoint agents before the arrival of the stranger's wagon trigger the "agents have been alerted" scenario for the rest of their delivery when it could have potentially gone smoothly? Or does it prevent those horseback agents from attacking later on?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Dick Jones posted:

What if they were going to be waved through the checkpoint though? Does slaughtering the checkpoint agents before the arrival of the stranger's wagon trigger the "agents have been alerted" scenario for the rest of their delivery when it could have potentially gone smoothly? Or does it prevent those horseback agents from attacking later on?

its guns out for taxmen.
you have to go quiet for some of the sabotage missions but they are all really tucked out of the way. the chances of someone finding the enemy shine camp while you're en route to it is not quite negligible but itd be rare

Edit: and even then so long as the still gets blown the shiner will get their mash discount

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I completed a resupply mission, came back to camp with the cart full of supplies, when I get to the golden "you finish!" area the camp disappears, the hud goes blank, and there's nothing anymore. I go to the map and see the camp should still be there and sure, it's there once I'm out of the menu, but the mission didn't register as completed :argh: this is infuriating, fix your poo poo :rockstar:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Sleekly posted:

its guns out for taxmen.
you have to go quiet for some of the sabotage missions but they are all really tucked out of the way. the chances of someone finding the enemy shine camp while you're en route to it is not quite negligible but itd be rare

Edit: and even then so long as the still gets blown the shiner will get their mash discount

If it's some other player's moonshiner mission they got from Maggie I don't see the harm in mowing down the agents. But I've had a number of moonshine deliveries recently where the red aggro zone of the checkpoint disappears and the agents just tell me to keep my wagon moving. If some other random player had come along and murdered those agents before I even got to the checkpoint, would that automatically flag me for more attacks by agents on horseback?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I murder the agents every single time. As soon as I see their red zone I open fire.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

If they tell you to keep moving it's probably due to the skill learned you leveling up your moonshiner role. Revenuers don't chase you if you're waved through.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
My new favorite bug is the infinite load times one on PS4. I can join a session without issue on my first try, but if I try to join another it loads indefinitely until I close the game and relaunch it. Which is great fun if you are being chased by griefers and just want to quickly find a new match.

On that subject, I've seen a marked increase in hostile blue dots lately. I think I've been attacked for no reason more times in the past couple weeks than I had for all of 2019. Maybe it's bored Christmas noobs? I keep all my explosive rifle ammo saved just for them. :fuckoff:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

weg posted:

My new favorite bug is the infinite load times one on PS4. I can join a session without issue on my first try, but if I try to join another it loads indefinitely until I close the game and relaunch it.
Same, but PC.

Really digging single player though. Going for 100%. I really enjoy how much more lively it feels compared to RDO. Currently in Chapter 3.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Rebellion Poncho is my new favorite thing and I love riding around in the most 'Merica costume I could make:

AMERCIA!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 13, 2020

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Back Hack posted:

Rarely, from my experience

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I'm back to being a cowboy but this time in computer form.

Jeez I was really spoiled on a controller with the snap to targeting. I cant hit poo poo now.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Found something fun to do: stock up on flaming bottles, join railroad thing, throw four or five around at a crowd quickly and sit back as a few of them presume you’re a hacker and report you after the match. :cool:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

If they tell you to keep moving it's probably due to the skill learned you leveling up your moonshiner role. Revenuers don't chase you if you're waved through.

Right. There are three possible outcomes at the checkpoint. Two good, one bad (agents wave you through, agents inspect and let you through anyway, agents inspect, bust you and open fire).

So say I launch a delivery and have a decent chance of being ignored by agents if I don't get aggressive. But some other random player happens upon the agent checkpoint and slaughters them all before I get there. Did that random player indirectly make my delivery harder than it had to be?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dick Jones posted:

Right. There are three possible outcomes at the checkpoint. Two good, one bad (agents wave you through, agents inspect and let you through anyway, agents inspect, bust you and open fire).

So say I launch a delivery and have a decent chance of being ignored by agents if I don't get aggressive. But some other random player happens upon the agent checkpoint and slaughters them all before I get there. Did that random player indirectly make my delivery harder than it had to be?
Kill those fuckin narcs every time.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

weg posted:

My new favorite bug is the infinite load times one on PS4. I can join a session without issue on my first try, but if I try to join another it loads indefinitely until I close the game and relaunch it. Which is great fun if you are being chased by griefers and just want to quickly find a new match.

Same on PC. It's especially weird in that if I start in online, I have to restart the game if I want to go to single player and vice versa. Something about this moonshine update really hosed something up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m getting the infamous 0x20010006 all the time now. Game doesn’t even load me into the world which is frustrating because I bought a year of ps+ just to play it. Is there any fix for this horrible bullshit?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hihohe posted:

I'm back to being a cowboy but this time in computer form.

Jeez I was really spoiled on a controller with the snap to targeting. I cant hit poo poo now.

Why don’t you play with a controller then?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

What's everyone favorite horse in Online? Especially looking for info about the role ones: Criollo, Kladruber, Norfolk, Breton

Criollo seems to be an alternative Missouri Fox Trotter, Breton an alternative Turkoman, the other two no idea really but the Kladruber has abysmal speed which isn't ok by me, I need to haul rear end. Would Criollo be the best for that?

I already have the 250$ red arabian at full bond, and I like it, even if it's a lot more skittish than any other horse I tried... but I'm at the point where some extra speed and stamina would make my life much easier since I'm running up and down to chase collectibles and trying to get back to the camp that Cripps keeps moving every 10 minutes to the opposite side of the region :argh:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'm not impressed by the temperament or the handling of the Missouri Fox Trotter. I got the free black thoroughbred which came with the special/ultimate/uber/whatever edition I bought for PC and it's much better. It's got worse stamina and health, but health is rarely an issue and neither is stamina with max bonding and best saddle/stirrups. Might try the Turkoman eventually, but so far I really enjoy my thoroughbred.

E: I don't know if this thoroughbred is available with the standard version of the game..