Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evig Vandrar posted:

Any good games that can be played in 10-20 minute spurts when I need a break from work? Any genre. I'm getting burned out on online chess.
Slay the Spyre, if you have willpower to step away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Thanks for the recs. I've got a little list to work through now, between here and some other places. Hopefully one will hit the mark!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Evig Vandrar posted:

Any good games that can be played in 10-20 minute spurts when I need a break from work? Any genre. I'm getting burned out on online chess.

Distance is the one I used for breaks last year. It's very easy to just boot up and do a couple races.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Evig Vandrar posted:

Dicey Dungeons. Every run I've had has been 30 minutes or less, and if you need to force close out of it, it saves at the start of every new floor, so you can worry-free quit out whenever you need to. Plus, it's very addicting. AND it's coming to IOS, Switch, and Android this year! Here's a quick look of it showing a few runs and how the game plays(it's been balanced a good bit more since this video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvpUMTo6pyU&hd=1

the music is also extremely catchy. check this battle music that builds for a solid almost minute and a half before kicking into some goddamn fine heroic fight music, Chipzel is a chiptune god. some tracks mix saxophone with chiptunes to great effect, surprisingly, but all the music in the game is excellent, like legit was one of my favorite OSTs of last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHKaBM54IU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Evig Vandrar posted:

Dicey Dungeons, it's a rogue-like dungeon crawl with some really novel mechanics. Each session lasts between 15 and 35 minutes and an individual encounter is about 2.

Efb. But my recommendation still stands.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Evig Vandrar posted:

One Finger Death Punch 2. It's a ton of fun.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Evig Vandrar posted:

Into the Breach. Each map only lasts a couple of minutes, you can save during or between missions, and you can get through an entire run of the game in 40-60 minutes.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Into the Breach. Each map only lasts a couple of minutes, you can save during or between missions, and you can get through an entire run of the game in 40-60 minutes.

Seconding this. It's an excellent game, and functions a lot like a chess puzzle, with a bit of added randomness so you don't actually need to do deep calculations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I’m looking for a game that has combat like age of wonders planetfall without having to play a civ game between the fun parts. I like xcom but it’s a little small scale. I’d like more than 6 units to push around

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Naramyth posted:

I’m looking for a game that has combat like age of wonders planetfall without having to play a civ game between the fun parts. I like xcom but it’s a little small scale. I’d like more than 6 units to push around

Fantasy General II is a modern sequel to a classic hex based wargame, I haven't had time to play it yet but I've heard good things. You manage your army and equip your hero between battles, but there's no base building.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025440/Fantasy_General_II/

Battle for Westnoth is a classic open source and free strategy game with a ton of high quality user made campaigns. Even less management in this one, you buy units from castles, and they gain experience during a campaign, but that's about it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/599390/Battle_for_Wesnoth/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Captain Invictus posted:

Dicey Dungeons. Every run I've had has been 30 minutes or less, and if you need to force close out of it, it saves at the start of every new floor, so you can worry-free quit out whenever you need to. Plus, it's very addicting. AND it's coming to IOS, Switch, and Android this year! Here's a quick look of it showing a few runs and how the game plays(it's been balanced a good bit more since this video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvpUMTo6pyU&hd=1

the music is also extremely catchy. check this battle music that builds for a solid almost minute and a half before kicking into some goddamn fine heroic fight music, Chipzel is a chiptune god. some tracks mix saxophone with chiptunes to great effect, surprisingly, but all the music in the game is excellent, like legit was one of my favorite OSTs of last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHKaBM54IU

Sheesh. Playing the game I didn't realize so many of those tunes were this one track!

chipzel good :hai:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

StoryTime posted:

Fantasy General II is a modern sequel to a classic hex based wargame, I haven't had time to play it yet but I've heard good things. You manage your army and equip your hero between battles, but there's no base building.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025440/Fantasy_General_II/

Battle for Westnoth is a classic open source and free strategy game with a ton of high quality user made campaigns. Even less management in this one, you buy units from castles, and they gain experience during a campaign, but that's about it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/599390/Battle_for_Wesnoth/

FG2 looks cool but that’s more like civ 5 combat. I’m more interested in the tactical combat with cover and what not.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
Lots of great short game suggestions, thanks to all of your for making my future breaks more interesting. Pretty much every one of them looks quite good.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Naramyth posted:

Was going to suggest Silent Storm (https://store.steampowered.com/app/254960/Silent_Storm_Gold_Edition/), but that's a similar number of units and scale as X-com.

Maybe worth mentioning anyway, pretty much a WWII XCom-a-like without the base management layer (beyond basic team/inventory management). I'm going to have to dig this out and play it again, it used to run like rear end on my PC back in the day, mostly due to the (very impressive) building/terrain destruction. Should be fine now I'd hope.

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War (I had to cut and paste the title... (https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/) is another one that almost fits the bill. Larger scale, turn based combat with a very light management layer, but the combat may not be quite what you're after.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 15, 2020

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Gravy Jones posted:

Was going to suggest Silent Storm (https://store.steampowered.com/app/254960/Silent_Storm_Gold_Edition/), but that's a similar number of units and scale as X-com.

Maybe worth mentioning anyway, pretty much a WWII XCom-a-like without the base management layer (beyond basic team/inventory management). I'm going to have to dig this out and play it again, it used to run like rear end on my PC back in the day, mostly due to the (very impressive) building/terrain destruction. Should be fine now I'd hope.

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War (I had to cut and paste the title... (https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/) is another one that almost fits the bill. Larger scale, turn based combat with a very light management layer, but the combat may not be quite what you're after.

Silent storm I need to actually play.

Gladius I have played and it’s civ combat. I like tactical layer stuff. I’m in my yearly “FFT, but new and not trash” phase with this years twist of “man into the breach is like the best game ever how can I cut down on non combat BS”

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Naramyth posted:

I’m in my yearly “FFT, but new and not trash” phase
FFT has a mod called Celdia's Complete Patch that throws out the vanilla classes and rebalances the game in a neat way. If you haven't yet, you might wanna take a look, there's even an ongoing LP of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Naramyth posted:

Silent storm I need to actually play.

Gladius I have played and it’s civ combat. I like tactical layer stuff. I’m in my yearly “FFT, but new and not trash” phase with this years twist of “man into the breach is like the best game ever how can I cut down on non combat BS”

Mechanicus is a very good XCOM-like but the scale is about the same.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Pierzak posted:

FFT has a mod called Celdia's Complete Patch that throws out the vanilla classes and rebalances the game in a neat way. If you haven't yet, you might wanna take a look, there's even an ongoing LP of it.

I’ve been following it! I’ll have to sit down and get it running cause it looks great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Naramyth posted:

I'm assuming you've played Jagged Alliance 2 right

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm assuming you've played Jagged Alliance 2 right

I tried it years ago and super bounced off of it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I heard Fell Seal is a good fft-like but haven't played it

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

I played it like 18 months ago and it was...fine. I think I need to give it another shake.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I wouldn't call it fantastic, though I put like 40+ hours into it. It's got a fun job system that doesn't have anywhere near the depth that FFT does, the battles aren't always particularly well balanced, and the writing is okay at best, but it's a pretty good tactics-style game (especially considering it's an indie endeavor) and looks pretty good to boot. Probably worth grabbing if you're a die hard tactics game fan.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Voidspire Tactics is pretty similar to FFT overall, but with a lot of exploration elements. Fell Seal is like FFTA2.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Naramyth posted:

I tried it years ago and super bounced off of it.

A much older series that's not really turn based but you can pause is the huge men of war series. I've only played the early one but I have found memories of stealing tanks and controlling my individual guys

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm looking for games to scratch a particular itch that I can't quite define. Sort of... Simulation/Management/RPGs? They present you with a world made up of sytems of varying degrees of complexity and you are given a lot of freedom in how you choose to interact with and affect this world. Regardless of how sophisticated the simulation actually is, it needs to present a persistent world that is ticking along by itself, with or without you interfering. I prefer ones where the gameplay is menu-based, rather than actually controlling individual characters. Another important part is being left to figure some things out by yourself; you're given the information on how things work and then it's up to you to decide what to do. Some examples of games that have hit this mark (or not) would probably make it clearer:

Perfect examples:
Uplink - This really nails it, from the impression of things going on around you to giving you enough information to then go and figure things out yourself.
CK2 - Not much needs to be said about this, other than I've tried some other Paradox games (HOI, EU) and they didn't grab me due to being more narrowly focused.
Football Manager - Although you're limited in your interactions, the simulation of the footballing world around you is deep enough to make it satisfying. (I've tried Motorsport Manager, it was pretty good but felt a little small.)

Decent examples:
Heat Signal - Not quite there in terms having much to manage and the gameplay loop is fairly simple, but very satisfying in the freedom it gives you in approaching things.
Mount and Blade Warband - Almost a perfect example, but suffered from having to do everything from the viewpoint of your character, i.e: walking around a town and finding the mead hall to recruit people. If a lot of that work was more menu-based it would have been great.
Cultist Simulator - This doesn't really have the impression of an ongoing world around you, but figuring out what you are meant to do and how things work was satisfying. Though once that's all clear, the gameplay became a bit tiresome.
Elite: Dangerous - On paper it seemed ideal but the space-combat gameplay didn't really interest me and it felt very grindy.
Kenshi - I haven't played it that much; I was really put off by the graphics and controls, and the fact that like M&B you have to move people around individually to get things done. Will probably give it another go.
Star Traders: Frontiers - Just picked this up and it seems like a good fit, haven't played it enough to judge properly. I've heard that you can't actually affect the relative standings of the different factions in the game, which is disappointing.

From looking at these lists I've also realised that they pretty much all have you playing as one person at a time, so that's important also. Games like Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress, etc don't scratch this particular itch for me because of this. Stardew Valley, Terraria, etc do have the single player character, but I don't like the interaction of personally having to run around and get things done. Survival games also suffer from this.

Battle Brothers seemed like it would be a good fit but I found it stupidly grindy.

So, pretty weird and specific I guess but, any suggestions? Oh, and PC Only!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hitman 2016 and/or Hitman 2 present a world that is ticking along and you can interfere with it or not. It might be too scripted for your tastes, but I enjoyed going into it and messing up random people's days. And then killing someone.

Beyond that I don't know. I would've said Kenshi, but... well. Good luck!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Academagia is a lot like that, albeit turn-based rather than real-time. It is completely text-based though. It definitely fits the description of a simulation game where you're left to figure stuff out and you're given a lot of freedom to affect the world.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Starsector is much like that. The world around you moves along, factions declare war and make peace, pirates ambush trade convoys and get hunted by system patrols, smugglers lower the stability of worlds and markets suffer, you can interact with any of these systems as you wish and even settle your own star system.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Lemon posted:

I'm looking for games to scratch a particular itch that I can't quite define. Sort of... Simulation/Management/RPGs?
-

I probably wouldn't have suggested this if you didn't put Elite Dangerous on your Decent Examples list, but have you given a look at Objects in Space?

https://youtu.be/BXHVzX6viNA

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
In Solar 2 you're a space rock and while there's a quest mode with challenges you can just ignore it. Otherwise you're trying to eat smaller rocks to become a planet then a star etc etc. Other space rocks will do the same (eat each other and get bigger), stars will draw in planets and life will start growing on those planets and will attack other aliens and you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are my options if I want a third person open world action rpg, could be anything from Breath of the Wild or Witcher 3, but I want a custom character?

I've already tried Dragons Dogma, and Outward, and even AC: Odyssey

PC preferred, but PS4 is doable.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are my options if I want a third person open world action rpg, could be anything from Breath of the Wild or Witcher 3, but I want a custom character?

I've already tried Dragons Dogma, and Outward, and even AC: Odyssey

PC preferred, but PS4 is doable.

Does Saint's Row count as an action RPG?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

The floris modpack for warband adds a bunch of management options, including having a guy that can recruit for you with a menu, though you have to play until you get a castle/town to access them (and there's probably other mods that do similar stuff).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cantorsdust posted:

Does Saint's Row count as an action RPG?

I guess it could more broadly, but I was specifically thinking of something that was based primarily around melee combat in the style of God of War, Dark Souls, Arkham, etc etc.

Maybe I should go back and try Absolver again but I was really turned off by the "wiggle the sticks" combat system vs "press X X Y for a combo". My beat `em up lizard brain wants to push buttons, not wiggle a stick.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

I guess it could more broadly, but I was specifically thinking of something that was based primarily around melee combat in the style of God of War, Dark Souls, Arkham, etc etc.

Maybe I should go back and try Absolver again but I was really turned off by the "wiggle the sticks" combat system vs "press X X Y for a combo". My beat `em up lizard brain wants to push buttons, not wiggle a stick.

The Surge 2 let's you customize your character unlike the first one. Way more limited than the Dark Souls character creator but hey. Haven't played it enough to be able to give an opinion on how good it is, but I personally really liked the first one, warts and all, and at least from what I've heard 2 turned out better.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hitman 2016 and/or Hitman 2 present a world that is ticking along and you can interfere with it or not. It might be too scripted for your tastes, but I enjoyed going into it and messing up random people's days. And then killing someone.

Beyond that I don't know. I would've said Kenshi, but... well. Good luck!

Yeah. I'd suggest Hitman as well. Especially if you go into the options and turn off things like objective markers and guides.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

It's a longshot, but check out Distant Worlds: Universe. It's kind of a space 4X but it's more a full simulation. It starts out fully automated and you can choose the disable the AI for parts of gameplay. When I've played in the past I've let the AI handle all the military aspects of the game and focused on commercial trade, for example. I think you may be able to control single ships, if you want.

The learning curve is steep but there's no game quite like it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

You want Starsector, which is Mount and Blade but with a fleet of spaceships and no first person component. There’s a sector map and system maps for your fleet to fly around, and then when you encounter enemy fleets you fly a ship and lead your fleet into battle. Lots of fun messing with ship load outs, upgrades, etc. On the strategic level, there’s trading, bounty hunting, planetary raiding, exploring, and colonizing.

Not on Steam. Sold through the dev’s website. Development is ongoing with major updates coming out every 6 months to a year with more features. But what is there already is very well done and playable and not at all a lovely early access game.

There’s an active thread here. The game has a robust modding community with several goon made mods adding new factions, ships, and weapons. There’s also Nexrelin, a mod that adds more strategic level gameplay with factions invading and conquering each other over time, colonizing on their own, and the ability to pledge yourself to a faction.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon posted:

I'm looking for games to scratch a particular itch that I can't quite define. Sort of... Simulation/Management/RPGs? They present you with a world made up of sytems of varying degrees of complexity and you are given a lot of freedom in how you choose to interact with and affect this world. Regardless of how sophisticated the simulation actually is, it needs to present a persistent world that is ticking along by itself, with or without you interfering. I prefer ones where the gameplay is menu-based, rather than actually controlling individual characters. Another important part is being left to figure some things out by yourself; you're given the information on how things work and then it's up to you to decide what to do. Some examples of games that have hit this mark (or not) would probably make it clearer:

Perfect examples:
Uplink - This really nails it, from the impression of things going on around you to giving you enough information to then go and figure things out yourself.
CK2 - Not much needs to be said about this, other than I've tried some other Paradox games (HOI, EU) and they didn't grab me due to being more narrowly focused.
Football Manager - Although you're limited in your interactions, the simulation of the footballing world around you is deep enough to make it satisfying. (I've tried Motorsport Manager, it was pretty good but felt a little small.)

Decent examples:
Heat Signal - Not quite there in terms having much to manage and the gameplay loop is fairly simple, but very satisfying in the freedom it gives you in approaching things.
Mount and Blade Warband - Almost a perfect example, but suffered from having to do everything from the viewpoint of your character, i.e: walking around a town and finding the mead hall to recruit people. If a lot of that work was more menu-based it would have been great.
Cultist Simulator - This doesn't really have the impression of an ongoing world around you, but figuring out what you are meant to do and how things work was satisfying. Though once that's all clear, the gameplay became a bit tiresome.
Elite: Dangerous - On paper it seemed ideal but the space-combat gameplay didn't really interest me and it felt very grindy.
Kenshi - I haven't played it that much; I was really put off by the graphics and controls, and the fact that like M&B you have to move people around individually to get things done. Will probably give it another go.
Star Traders: Frontiers - Just picked this up and it seems like a good fit, haven't played it enough to judge properly. I've heard that you can't actually affect the relative standings of the different factions in the game, which is disappointing.

From looking at these lists I've also realised that they pretty much all have you playing as one person at a time, so that's important also. Games like Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress, etc don't scratch this particular itch for me because of this. Stardew Valley, Terraria, etc do have the single player character, but I don't like the interaction of personally having to run around and get things done. Survival games also suffer from this.

Battle Brothers seemed like it would be a good fit but I found it stupidly grindy.

If you don't mind going super old school, Majesty