Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Petite bourgeoisie" already exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

VideoTapir posted:

The term "middle class" needs to die.

Have you heard the good news of "the professional/managerial class"?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
There’s also other hurdles like you could spend thousands of dollars on adoption paperwork and the birth mother still has a window of some amount of time to change her mind and reclaim her child.

It’s an insanely arduous process, one of my co-workers adopted 2 toddlers a couple years ago (she’s and her husband are white, the kids are white-ish)

It cost them thousands and the whole process took about 5 years from start to finish and they went thru multiple foster children, including fostering 3 siblings at once which did not pan out.

We joke about how when you want to adopt you have a dozen people coming to your house to make sure you’re competent (that you have to pay for) but if you pop out your own kid no one gives a poo poo enough to come to your house and make sure your not feeding them out of a dog bowl or whatever.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Huh. Now I understand tankies.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Inept posted:

Living in a HCOL and making a middle class salary is a struggle

wife and i live in a very expensive suburb of NYC (Westchester for those familiar). at 33-years old we make "decent" but not excellent salaries (her ~$100K and me ~$115K). all in we're at ~$230K gross.

we're starting a family and starting to look at homes in the area. even in the less prestigious towns, $600K gets you a fixer upper in a decent school district. anything under $500K, forget about it. not even worth it. and the taxes? yikes. 2%-4% of home value seems to be average.

moving is the logical first thought but that is quickly done away with as my wife is a tenured teacher in a good school district and her entire support system is here.

this is as much a vent as a place to discuss. have any other folks made it in a HCOLA on a middle class salary? could use some positive, but realistic insight from you folks. thanks!

lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Tunicate posted:

wtf i'm anti-union now

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Some friends adopted one of the first kids available through the states "just drop your unwanted kid at the fire station , complete amnesty" program and still had to pay about 40k to do it. Its insane . White dad, carribean dad, black daughter for what it's worth

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mastershakeman posted:

Some friends adopted one of the first kids available through the states "just drop your unwanted kid at the fire station , complete amnesty" program and still had to pay about 40k to do it. Its insane . White dad, carribean dad, black daughter for what it's worth

What, you want poor people to be allowed to have children?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Inept posted:

Living in a HCOL and making a middle class salary is a struggle

wife and i live in a very expensive suburb of NYC (Westchester for those familiar). at 33-years old we make "decent" but not excellent salaries (her ~$100K and me ~$115K). all in we're at ~$230K gross.

we're starting a family and starting to look at homes in the area. even in the less prestigious towns, $600K gets you a fixer upper in a decent school district. anything under $500K, forget about it. not even worth it. and the taxes? yikes. 2%-4% of home value seems to be average.

moving is the logical first thought but that is quickly done away with as my wife is a tenured teacher in a good school district and her entire support system is here.

edit: Sorry didn't notice this was a quote. Didn't recognize you so I assumed it might be real, since there have been other posts like this in the D&D primary thread.

(Also I thought this was succ zone for some reason)

edit2: The one "high earner" situation I can feel any sympathy for is a situation where someone is in some high paying job that is really unpleasant to work and doesn't have a skill-set that translates to changing jobs (so maybe something like a specialized law field), but who has a family and house in a high COL area so they can't stop working at the job without losing their family and need to make house payments. I mean, I still don't know if I'd go as far as calling it "sympathy" (since they got themselves in that situation) but I don't really find that particularly enviable.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Jan 10, 2020

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Goon Danton posted:

Have you heard the good news of "the professional/managerial class"?

I love how it still conflates management (capital) and nonmanagement (labor...aristocracy, but still labor).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Comrade HI McDunnough had a solution for this

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I like 'the Secretariat' personally

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

there are working class people, working class people in denial, and the superrich owners of everything. Denial is a heck of a drug.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

StashAugustine posted:

"Petite bourgeoisie" already exists

That's the guy running for president, right?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

raverrn posted:

:golfclap:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

raverrn posted:

:thurman:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

raverrn posted:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

raverrn posted:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

raverrn posted:

:trumppop:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

raverrn posted:

:captainpop:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Hospitality industry trainer thinks the reason people have 2-4 jobs is 'cause they're living above their means lmfao. :thermidor:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tubgoat posted:

Hospitality industry trainer thinks the reason people have 2-4 jobs is 'cause they're living above their means lmfao. :thermidor:

Well yeah. They don't have the means to live.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

raverrn posted:

yes

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Comrade HI McDunnough had a solution for this

That method of adoption has an extremely steep cost gradient. It's either very cheap, or very costly, without much in between.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

not that the $230,000 income family would have a huge issue with it but adopting kids is insanely expensive and the upfront cost is a huge barrier to middle and working class families who might choose to adopt.

that being said i'm sure there are banks that offer adoption loans at the low low APR of...i dunno lets guess 20%

I have adopted twice - private domestic infant adoption, it's about 10 to 16k depending, but you get a huge tax credit which helps.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sylink posted:

I have adopted twice - private domestic infant adoption, it's about 10 to 16k depending, but you get a huge tax credit which helps.

That's how they keep it from the poors. You have to be able to pay the steep up-front cost before you get the rebate.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

they don't give adoption approval to (obviously qualified) single asexuals which is some bullshit too, this woman is far more qualified to have kids than my mother but nooooo she has to go IVF instead because gays are scary

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

International adoption is a massively racist grifting industry based on the universal truth that rich white people have an inalienable right to other people’s children.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hmm yes I'm sure my two cousins would much rather have stayed their entire childhoods in a Russian orphanage than be adopted by an American couple.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hmm yes I'm sure my two cousins would much rather have stayed their entire childhoods in a Russian orphanage than be adopted by an American couple.

a few positive cases don't negate the fact that massive cottage industries are propping up the american international adoption industry by "creating" orphans, through outright purchasing and trafficking of children that might have had an opportunity to be raised by their families in their native countries

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

God Hole posted:

a few positive cases don't negate the fact that massive cottage industries are propping up the american international adoption industry by "creating" orphans, through outright purchasing and trafficking of children that might have had an opportunity to be raised by their families in their native countries

hell the current border crisis is creating a native industry exactly like this for Mexicans

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

God Hole posted:

Okay, yeah, human trafficking is bad (I feel like that should be a given but I'm saying it anyway) but are you trying to claim that's the majority of international adoption? Because I find that pretty hard to believe without some kind of citation even in the hellworld we live in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And the ones that rich white people don't want to adopt can be sold as slaves instead

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, yeah, human trafficking is bad (I feel like that should be a given but I'm saying it anyway) but are you trying to claim that's the majority of international adoption? Because I find that pretty hard to believe without some kind of citation even in the hellworld we live in.

i did not claim that it comprises a majority of international adoption, no. i'm saying that the gross human trafficking aspect is inextricably linked with how the international adoption industry is set up. the philosophy of the industry as stated by Comrade Koba combined with the profit motive will inevitably lead to human trafficking every time. we watched it happen in real-time with the border crisis.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So you're saying that by participating in the international adoption industry at all you're supporting an industry that has elements that allow trafficking to take place, and with how it's set up there is no way currently to make sure it's not taking place, especially when adopting from disadvantaged nations where the levels of record keeping and corruption mean adequate scrutiny on the adoption sources is impossible?

That's a fair enough argument, at least with the minimal exposure I have to the topic, I can't disagree with that.

From how he was phrasing it though I thought his next post was going to be that white people shouldn't adopt PoC, a spicy take that my adopted (by white parents) biracial ex-wife heard her entire life.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So you're saying that by participating in the international adoption industry at all you're supporting an industry that has elements that allow trafficking to take place, and with how it's set up there is no way currently to make sure it's not taking place, especially when adopting from disadvantaged nations where the levels of record keeping and corruption mean adequate scrutiny on the adoption sources is impossible?

Phoneposting earlier so sorry I didn't go into more detail, but yeah, you got it exactly right. Also, in a lot of cases the lack of record keeping (or in some cases outright tampering with it) is absolutely intentional and known to the Western adoption agencies.

Comrade Koba has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Jan 12, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
imagine not supporting china's babby market that pays top dollar for healthy white males

what is cspam coming to

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

this isn’t even the only thread that is defending her.

goons insane paranoia runs deep.

Who defended her?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/dellcam/status/1216235172141715456?s=19

Adbot