Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Cap, your on thin ice bringing anime to tvland.
I think Dorohedoro could have a wider appeal similar to Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Might sound like a joke, but it's seriously a unique as hell series and up there alongside LOGH in my favorites, though obviously for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Cap, your on thin ice bringing anime to tvland.

He asked first, and I said yes! All part of my master plan to eventually force everyone to watch Utena lest they be perma banned from the subforum, clearly ...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

esperterra posted:

He asked first, and I said yes! All part of my master plan to eventually force everyone to watch Utena lest they be perma banned from the subforum, clearly ...

It was a joke, and I support the Utena resolution whole heartedly. :allears: God what a wonderful series

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

esperterra posted:

We must resist the anime invasion. Comrades, get to the barricades, we'll hurl unwated copies of Game of Thrones Season 8 on DVD at them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vive la Revolutionary Girl!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CBS has ordered a pilot for a Silence of the Lambs spin-off called "Clarice" which, you know, focuses on Clarice Starling after the events of Silence of the Lambs. The weird thing about this is that it is exactly the same premise of a failed show that Lifetime tried to make back around the time of Hannibal.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this! posted:

CBS has ordered a pilot for a Silence of the Lambs spin-off called "Clarice" which, you know, focuses on Clarice Starling after the events of Silence of the Lambs. The weird thing about this is that it is exactly the same premise of a failed show that Lifetime tried to make back around the time of Hannibal.

smdh Fuller not tryna snatch up the Silence rights after the Lifetime poo poo fell through.

At any rate this will probably end up better than the Lifetime version would have, maybe? Unless it's the same crew, new network ...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure the Lifetime show actually got anywhere because when I tried to look up information about it a couple of years later the only thing available was the initial announcement.

It clearly never went to series but I don't know if they ever actually cast anyone for Clarice.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hi, Couch sitters. Who is watching the Critics' Choice Awards with me? Yay awards shows!

People were justifiably going gaga over Meryl Streep in Big Little Lies but Laura Dern (who just won for best actress in a movie) was the one who blew me away. To be honest I only really knew of her as "the woman in Jurassic Park" and boy was I missing out.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Go watch Enlightened.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having finally finished The Leftovers I'm gonna say

S3 > S1 > S2

All three are amazing

Best episodes are the Eccleston focused ones, god drat those are good. "No Room Left at the Inn" is prob the best of the whole series

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

esperterra posted:

smdh Fuller not tryna snatch up the Silence rights after the Lifetime poo poo fell through.

At any rate this will probably end up better than the Lifetime version would have, maybe? Unless it's the same crew, new network ...

That's what you get for expecting anything out of fuller that isn't "actively trying to get himself fired". He makes good TV but, in the words of Chris Onstad, he navigates it with all the grace of a tapdancer going through a minefield with snow shoes on.

precision posted:

Best episodes are the Eccleston focused ones, god drat those are good. "No Room Left at the Inn" is prob the best of the whole series

Hard agree, and any time I need to make myself cry I think about the Matt and Nora beach scene in the finale. That HURT.

E: This one. SO MANY SPOILERS HERE DON'T CLICK PLAY IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LEFTOVERS YET.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtsKnZNLFWA

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 13, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's what you get for expecting anything out of fuller that isn't "actively trying to get himself fired". He makes good TV but, in the words of Chris Onstad, he navigates it with all the grace of a tapdancer going through a minefield with snow shoes on.

#teavana, really

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

esperterra posted:

If there is to be any anime discussed on this forum, I would rather the recommendations be for Mob Psycho 100

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
lol fuk

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1216524496825409541?s=21

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

precision posted:

Having finally finished The Leftovers I'm gonna say

S3 > S1 > S2

All three are amazing

I’d have to go S1 > S3 > S2, with “perfection” being the only word that does S2 justice.

My best episode that isn’t International Assassin is G’day, Melbourne.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finding out that The Nanny is some treasured icon of tv is as weird as that time I suddenly discovered that everyone my age beloved The Price if Right. Nothing wrong with it, just catching me completely off guard.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I feel the same whenever anyone says that they watched any of Becker

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Wasn't the Lifetime show going to be a prequel about Clarice at the FBI Academy?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Japanime peaked with Akira :corsair:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

We've been wise up to your plans since day one, we have a contingency

Croatoan posted:

This old goat gets it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Croatoan posted:

This but cowboy bebop

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
it's actually Mob Psycho 100

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have performed some sort of dark, gay magicks.

f'real tho Fran's style is on point. The costuming for this show owns.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Croatoan posted:

c'mon we all know the real answer is Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It came up upthread, but I kind of feel like Rachel Bloom is overrated. She's good but her reputation got a bit inflated over Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would also accept Key: the Metal Idol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm changing my answer, anime peaked with Interstella 5555.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
e: oops. DEFINITELY the wrong thread lol

for this transgression I offer this stolen from the IASIP thread

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 13, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEn609nkRs

quote:

Will they course correct from the garbage that was season 2? Or maybe they will double down and keep trying to outsmart reddit even if the twists are completely nonsensical?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEn609nkRs

Will they course correct from the garbage that was season 2? Or maybe they will double down and keep trying to outsmart reddit even if the twists are completely nonsensical?

I almost want to bet on them telling an even simpler story than season 2, in a more convoluted way than season 2!

But I also want it to be good b/c the incredible cast is wasted otherwise.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DoctorWhat posted:

it's actually Mob Psycho 100

:hf:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I'm changing my answer, anime peaked with Interstella 5555.

StarBlazers

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Season 2 was flawed but ultimately fine and the angst that it still stokes online nearly two years later is something else.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Season 2 was flawed but ultimately fine and the angst that it still stokes online nearly two years later is something else.

It's a fine season of genre television, just incredibly underwhelming compared to the first. Some standout episodes, however.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

StarBlazers

yeah this

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s not a TV show, it’s a movie, but given the choice between talking about stuff I watch with you guys or C:D you guys win every time.

I’m pretty sure Children of Men is one of the best movies ever made. Not only is it beautiful and have some interesting long takes, every time I watch it with someone new they always end up a bit she’ll-shocked.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

esperterra posted:

It's a fine season of genre television, just incredibly underwhelming compared to the first. Some standout episodes, however.

Oh for sure. Season 1 really feels like lightning in a bottle now.

I’m looking forward to season 3 though, Aaron Paul is always a plus.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

There's no denying it was needlessly convoluted tho. They tried to make a season of television impossible to guess, which is, like, the opposite point of writing a mystery. You should want the reader/viewer to potentially pick up the pieces before the reveal!

e: which is precisely why the reveal in S1works so well, whether you love it or hate it. you could have been suspicious of the twist by like episode 2 just by paying attention to the set dressing/logos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

that time I suddenly discovered that everyone my age beloved The Price if Right. Nothing wrong with it, just catching me completely off guard.

the hell did you do when you stayed home sick from school :confused: