Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
As I mentioned before Mission Hill's source of comedy was pretty much mocking hipsters (even in 1999). Every big city has their "hipster section" regardless of what coast they are on hence the shared experiences for people who live in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Bust Rodd posted:

John K and Justin Roiland are both great examples of some genius needing to be bridled and restrained so that we only get the gems and not an endless cascade of pedophilia

Whoawhoawhoa whoa hey heeey HEY. Can you substantiate this at all? Yeah John K is a piece of poo poo that needs a good flaying, we should all know this. But Justin Roiland? You can find him annoying but is he really a known creep?

Although as I was typing this out post, I suddenly remembered the short cartoon that Rick and Morty was based on. Now I'm not so sure if I want to go up to bat for him. I'd just be really upset if Roiland was any flavor of pedophile.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 12, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe it's the difference between creep and Creep with a capital C

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Whoawhoawhoa whoa hey heeey HEY. Can you substantiate this at all? Yeah John K is a piece of poo poo that needs a good flaying, we should all know this. But Justin Roiland? You can find him annoying but is he really a known creep?

Although as I was typing this out post, I suddenly remembered the short cartoon that Rick and Morty was based on. Now I'm not so sure if I want to go up to bat for him. I'd just be really upset if Roiland was any flavor of pedophile.
Uh, don't read this, I guess

I was even't even referencing his personal life anyway. If you just look at Roiland's body of work, basically every time he's in charge of a project without oversight, there's a kid getting hosed.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
gently caress. I had no idea.

Thank you for that. It's better knowing.

I liked some of his projects and guestwork outside of his cartoon as well. It's all loving trash now.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That's an earnest thank you, by the way. I would not have known anything about this had you not made that one post about John K and Justin earlier.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's pretty funny that the youtube back to the future parody cartoon where Rick is a pedophile turned into a popular tv show where Rick is a perfect rational being.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It sure puts into perspective the scene in the early episodes where they go into Mortys teachers mind and there's the sexual part which is filled with absolutely every perversion you can think of, including incestuous 17 year old Summer and it's sort of implied that everyone has a part of their brain like that and it's just normal.

Edit : Also explains his continued willingness to work with Dan "I'm going to coerce and threaten my female employees into sleeping with me" Harmon

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 13, 2020

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I'm still pissed off and perturbed about these revelations.

Lol. : ')

loving predators.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 13, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean Dan apologized publicly and his victim was so moved by it that she publicly tweeted out how this was a good example of a real apology and forgave him and that’s the last word anyone had on that, and Justin hasn’t hosed a kid, it’s just very clear that he chooses to work through personal childhood traumas by making jokes about them.

It’s not the same thing but Cancer killed my dad and destroyed my family and my childhood, so I make jokes about cancer and think terminal illness is funny. I can respect someone doing that with having been molested or whatever. I’ll reserve judgment until I hear from a real victim. A 23-24 year old hitting on a 17 year old is gross, for sure, but it’s not even illegal in some states, or anything like what the Ren & Stimpy guy absolutely did.

But yes it’s always better to know. Don’t google Jerry Seinfeld, David Bowie, or Prince and the word “Teen”

Also you’re correct, turning a pedophile/incest sketch from YouTube into the biggest cartoon property of the decade is crazy, Dan Schneider would be proud.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRZqC1tr9KE

just randomly came across this compilation of lionel hutz clips, and one of them was something i haven't seen in like probably a decade which was one of my favorite all time moments:

Judge: The Foreman will pass the verdict to the bailff.
*hutz secretly switches verdicts to the the judge*
judge: this verdict is written on a cocktail napkin. And it STILL says guilty! And guilty is spelled wrong!

always died at this joke

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I like the bit where Lionel tries to stump Apu on the stand by asking "what kind of tie am I wearing?" The animation, the vocal delivery... a solid nugget of comedy. Still makes me smile just thinking about it.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Azaria's officially retiring as Apu

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

quote:

Azaria indicated there was no resistance to phasing him out as the voice. One wonders why the show couldn’t just share that news earlier.

This is really weird to read after the weird passive aggressive clip of Marge and Lisa defending the role/voice.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Disney is cleaning house

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Scuttlebutt is that Azaria is responding to fans and Indian actors directly reaching out to him as opposed to people complaining to FOX or Disney. Apu can’t happen unless Azaria agrees to it, if he doesn’t agree to it then it’s done.

Him refusing to appear in the Apu documentary really hurt his cred and there was disappointed pushback amongst his large POC fan base.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In 2020 its hard to give a poo poo about any news on the show since everyone who liked it wrote it off after the first eight, good, seasons or they just moved on in general.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I’m glad racism has finally ended in the year 2029

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The time the camera panned down through the earth to Vishu at the centre operating it was the geologically lowest point

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The time the camera panned down through the earth to Vishu at the centre operating it was the geologically lowest point

After 285 pages we finally have our answer. I'm proud to have posted in this thread and I wish you all the best.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Scuttlebutt is that Azaria is responding to fans and Indian actors directly reaching out to him as opposed to people complaining to FOX or Disney. Apu can’t happen unless Azaria agrees to it, if he doesn’t agree to it then it’s done.

Him refusing to appear in the Apu documentary really hurt his cred and there was disappointed pushback amongst his large POC fan base.

Yeah the Simpsons team is muddying the waters on this and has been for years, but my read on it is that Azaria wasn't prepared to make a decision when the documentary was being shot, but he did internalize all its arguments and felt bad and decided to stop voicing Apu like 4 years ago.

Apu hasn't been on the show since then basically.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Asimov posted:

I like the bit where Lionel tries to stump Apu on the stand by asking "what kind of tie am I wearing?" The animation, the vocal delivery... a solid nugget of comedy. Still makes me smile just thinking about it.

The insanely fat jury was such a smart move I'd be surprised if Hutz didn't do it on accident

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Crossposting into the proper thread

MunchE posted:

The evidence is clear, it's lesser but still good on seasons 9-12 then really declines 13 and on:

Daikloktos posted:

4.9 S23E22 - Lisa Goes Gaga (Episode spent fawning over Lady Gaga)
5.3 S9E11 - All Singing, All Dancing (All-musical clip show)
5.5 S13E17 - Gump Roast (Final clip show of the series)
5.8 S25E19 - What To Expect When Bart's Expecting (Bart's voodoo powers seem to get people pregnant ending with Fat Tony's gay horse dancing to It's Raining Men)
5.8 S21E16 - The Greatest Story Ever [Annoyed Grunt]'d (The Simpsons are going to Israel!)

Daikloktos posted:

5.9 S23E12 - Moe Goes From Rags To Riches (The history of Moe's sentient bar rag, from its origins as a magic tapestry in medieval France to Moe's yeti father presenting it to him on Mt Everest)
6.0 S20E9 - Lisa The Drama Queen (Heavenly Creatures parody - not sure why it's so low)
6.1 S6E3 - Another Simpsons Clip Show (The one about romance)
6.2 S15E21 - Bart-Mangled Banner (Heavy handed criticism of post-9/11 patriotism. Bart accidently moons the flag and the family is sent to Guantanamo Bay)
6.2 S19E16 - Papa Don't Leech (Lurleen Lumpkin returns - not sure why it's so low)
6.2 S23E10 - Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson (Homer lands a show on Fox News and endorses Ted Nugent for president)

Daikloktos posted:

6.3 S17E12 - My Fair Laddy (My Fair Lady with Willie and yes, they sing)
6.3 S18E15 - Rome-Old And Juli-Eh (Selma marries Grandpa Abe)
6.3 S19E11 - That 90's Show (Flashback to Marge and Homer's young romance in the early 90's)
6.3 S20E20 - Four Great Women And A Manicure (Anthology episode about powerful women)

And then I looked up the 6.4's and of the five the only one that stood out was when Skinner and Homer replace into Cheech and Chong, respectively.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

You know none of this Apu stuff would matter if this show ended ten seasons ago like it should have :viggo:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Communist Walrus posted:

After 285 pages we finally have our answer. I'm proud to have posted in this thread and I wish you all the best.

I think this has been posted several times and this last one didn't even include the image of Vishu pushing the buttons and poo poo, so why stop digging now?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought that was

You know

:thejoke:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

This is fascinating, self-posting to refer back to as I continue my very slow rewatch. Bart the General (8.2) is an obvious highlight from early S1 but it's amazing that the others are much of a muchness ratings-wise. Bart the Genius (7.5) is good, There's No Disgrace Like Home (7.5) is OK and Homer's Odyssey (7.4) is a stinker.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
9/11 also a grim marker for the Simpsons

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WeaponX posted:

You know none of this Apu stuff would matter if this show ended ten seasons ago like it should have :viggo:

It's not 2010 anymore, chief.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

This is fascinating, self-posting to refer back to as I continue my very slow rewatch. Bart the General (8.2) is an obvious highlight from early S1 but it's amazing that the others are much of a muchness ratings-wise. Bart the Genius (7.5) is good, There's No Disgrace Like Home (7.5) is OK and Homer's Odyssey (7.4) is a stinker.

Yeah someone normalize this chart

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I know that 9.11 is of course The Principal and the Pauper but I'm not going to watch beyond season 9 to see what the other stinkers are.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Spider pig

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I know that 9.11 is of course The Principal and the Pauper but I'm not going to watch beyond season 9 to see what the other stinkers are.
I looked them up in a post upthread

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

that scene would have been simply mediocre if the overadvertisement hadn't taken aaaaaaaaaaaaaasall the wind out of its sails

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's not, though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

P&tP is a great episode. Most of the major outliers are recap episodes, except for Lisa Goes Gaga in season 23.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

As was said before, 9.11 is a clip show.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ah yes, the IMDB score. the grand arbiter of quality, especially for TV show episodes where IMDB users and TV show fans intersect , truly a meeting of the minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
we must square our conception of the goodness or badness of an episode with kant's conception of "the good will." an episode in, say, season 6, might be laudable or comedic, but in the environment in which it is placed (phil hartman available, various funny people in the writers' room, voice actors who had not given up), can we say if it is "good?" it might be nearly unavoidable to be funny under such circumstances. might not an episode in, say, 2022 or something, when everybody who cares has left and the voice actors are either dead or sound as though they beg for death, that nonetheless manages to produce a wry chuckle in the audience, motivated only by a sense of moral duty to entertain, have completed the greater feat?