Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

To be fair, the cape was basically that movie's Groot. Every MCU movie's gotta have one now.

They've always had them, even the very first Iron Man movie had a sassy well-meaning-but-dumb robot arm assistant
https://i.imgur.com/PUlHqAN.gifv

It even ended up saving his life at one point when his new arc reactor fritzes out
https://i.imgur.com/BDUN3Bm.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And as with all repetition, it has lost meaning and soul with each new iteration

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Extremely late to this: I really liked that new Birds of Prey trailer. It looks like it'll walk a fine line between campy and annoying, but I'm a bit of a Suicide Squad apologist anyway so I'm fine with anything carrying on its legacy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I do, and I also got annoyed because they took the trippy interdimensional visuals and made them so fractal and twisty that they became meaningless shards of motion.

Like, I really liked the concept, and I really liked some of the shots (like Dr. Strange's first trip through the cosmos, I enjoyed that), and then later they would "go wide" and it would just be a bunch of endless real-world objects repeating in form, the same effect you get from two mirrors facing each other...which I had as a kid. So not real impressive.

They also basically wasted Mads, and had action legend Scott Adkins get bested by a cape. Absolute disappointment.

I had that exact same reaction to the inter-dimensional stuff. That first trip was really cool, but all of the fight scenes that were just idclip were so blah, like the way everyone would just instantly launch into really generic martial arts action and stuff as everything's repeating, it felt extremely generic.

Scott Adkins should have been around more, like if they were going to go that route? I wouldn't have even had Mads as that character and just had Adkins choreo/etc. all of the fights, like just fully commit to the action.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DeimosRising posted:

Imagine making the director of Sinister balk at how cheap and soulless you want his movie to be

Sinister is good. It has fat Vincent D’nofrio expositing about the Babylonian god, Bagool, over Skype.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still like Doctor Strange because it had enough little touches that were good to keep me going.

Like winning by outsmarting the opponent instead of punching harder.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still like Doctor Strange because it had enough little touches that were good to keep me going.

Like winning by outsmarting the opponent instead of punching harder.

Well to be fair, that's not exactly uncommon in the MCU. IM 1 has tony outsmarting the dude, WS has Steve refusing to fight his love interest, Guardians had that dance off Thor 3 kinda did that with Satan, err....I'm sure there's more, but I'm literally drawing a blank on what happened in the other movies.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

McCloud posted:

Well to be fair, that's not exactly uncommon in the MCU. IM 1 has tony outsmarting the dude, WS has Steve refusing to fight his love interest, Guardians had that dance off Thor 3 kinda did that with Satan, err....I'm sure there's more, but I'm literally drawing a blank on what happened in the other movies.

Ant man 2 ended with them helping the antagonist instead of killing her. Don't really remember the details (or anything from that movie really).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McCloud posted:

Eh, I'll give you Guardians and Thor 3 but Iron Man 1 absolutely had Iron winning by holding his own in a fight until a big enough weapon to kill his enemy kicked in. Cap's enemy in WS wasn't Bucky, it was SHIELD, and he 9/11ed those guys well enough.

Meanwhile in Doctor Strange, Doctor Strange was willing to and in fact did die many gruesome deaths over and over again to protect earth, and he did so without a single act of aggression against Dormammu. It was pretty clear that Mads was about to kick his rear end and that he couldn't possibly beat Dormy, so he found another way, and that's what was refreshing about the climax.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Laughing Zealot posted:

Ant man 2 ended with them helping the antagonist instead of killing her. Don't really remember the details (or anything from that movie really).

It needed more Michael Peña

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Eh, I'll give you Guardians and Thor 3 but Iron Man 1 absolutely had Iron winning by holding his own in a fight until a big enough weapon to kill his enemy kicked in. Cap's enemy in WS wasn't Bucky, it was SHIELD, and he 9/11ed those guys well enough.

Meanwhile in Doctor Strange, Doctor Strange was willing to and in fact did die many gruesome deaths over and over again to protect earth, and he did so without a single act of aggression against Dormammu. It was pretty clear that Mads was about to kick his rear end and that he couldn't possibly beat Dormy, so he found another way, and that's what was refreshing about the climax.

I dunno, The dude had him pretty outgunned so he had to outthink him, I say that qualifies. I can agree with you on WS though.

And yeah the ending to Strange was probably the most memorable thing about the movie. I recall when they tried to market it as being totally psychadelic and an acid trip and what not and then it came out it was just.. cracked reality and inverted landscapes. Well done there, chaps. But they did land the ending though, despite the criminally underutilized Mads

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah. I remember someone being all
Um actually that's not the definition of psychadelic
:goonsay:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It was Inception all over again.

There's only so many times per decade Hollywood is ready to make a "trippy" blockbuster movie and these two have been incredibly timid attempts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inception is such a wet fart of a movie

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
While the visual trippyness pretty much died once Paige gets recruited, it's a lot more involved than your annual blockbuster.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I tried to rewatch Inception recently and I was just so loving bored.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

FilthyImp posted:

While the visual trippyness pretty much died once Paige gets recruited, it's a lot more involved than your annual blockbuster.

Yeah, I'd give it credit for remaining engaging despite its heavy amount of exposition.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YaketySass posted:

It was Inception all over again.

There's only so many times per decade Hollywood is ready to make a "trippy" blockbuster movie and these two have been incredibly timid attempts.

Relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I really like the Ant-Man movies. They're not great, but they have their own charm in their own corner of the MCU. I like the characters, they use their powers in all kinds of creative ways and the movie portrays a happy separated family which is goddamn unheard of in Hollywood.

As a kid it always bummed me out when movies had the parents getting back together when I knew from my own life that you could have a fine family with separated parents.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Inception is such a wet fart of a movie

I watched it again a couple of months ago and I was shocked and saddened that I ever found that movie interesting. A fun exercise I wound up doing: Every time the movie questions Cobb's reality, ask "If this is real/dream what does it say about his wife?" Either the movie is incredibly boring and not at all interesting or novel, or it REALLY hates that character (and perhaps women in general.)

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I don't think anything Lynch has made should count, because that dude will never make something straight forward and coherent.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Yestermoment posted:

I don't think anything Lynch has made should count, because that dude will never make something straight forward and coherent.

You mean a Straight Story?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I had that exact same reaction to the inter-dimensional stuff. That first trip was really cool, but all of the fight scenes that were just idclip were so blah, like the way everyone would just instantly launch into really generic martial arts action and stuff as everything's repeating, it felt extremely generic.

Scott Adkins should have been around more, like if they were going to go that route? I wouldn't have even had Mads as that character and just had Adkins choreo/etc. all of the fights, like just fully commit to the action.

Imagine coming up with "doing magic is just martial arts but with CG weapons against CG backdrops" and then not even bothering to do that very well.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really like the Ant-Man movies. They're not great, but they have their own charm in their own corner of the MCU. I like the characters, they use their powers in all kinds of creative ways and the movie portrays a happy separated family which is goddamn unheard of in Hollywood.

As a kid it always bummed me out when movies had the parents getting back together when I knew from my own life that you could have a fine family with separated parents.

I think they are the best Marvel movies. The other ones are bigger and more bombastic but Ant Man 1 and 2 have so much heart and charm it is unbelievable, and not just down to Paul Rudd, it's all of them. Spider Man (Holland) is a close second and they should team up, weaponise the cute.
(I liked ghost and vulture being kind of reasonably evil too, not too far from you and me, 1 bad day and all that).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I watched it again a couple of months ago and I was shocked and saddened that I ever found that movie interesting. A fun exercise I wound up doing: Every time the movie questions Cobb's reality, ask "If this is real/dream what does it say about his wife?" Either the movie is incredibly boring and not at all interesting or novel, or it REALLY hates that character (and perhaps women in general.)

It says hes obsessed with an ideal of his wife and its poisoning him. Watch Following, look at Inception as a sequel to it (with the protagonist taking a different turn at the end) and then ask what it's trying to say.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I still like Inception a lot. I don't think it's a super deep movie and I never got how everyone acted like it was some inscrutable cinematic puzzle box when it came out but I like how the movie approaches things like grief, guilt, and regret not only with Cobb, but with the entire heist basically serving as therapy for Fischer. Plus the action setpieces really are great. I don't think it's Nolan's best movie but it's the one I feel most able to just sit down and relax to.

Then again, Rises is my favorite of the Dark Knight trilogy so you can probably just ignore my opinions.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I still like Inception a lot. I don't think it's a super deep movie and I never got how everyone acted like it was some inscrutable cinematic puzzle box when it came out but I like how the movie approaches things like grief, guilt, and regret not only with Cobb, but with the entire heist basically serving as therapy for Fischer. Plus the action setpieces really are great. I don't think it's Nolan's best movie but it's the one I feel most able to just sit down and relax to.

Then again, Rises is my favorite of the Dark Knight trilogy so you can probably just ignore my opinions.

Its deep for the average blockbuster crowd and it is quite layered, especially a capstone to his filmography of "men super obsessed with women they were involved with to the point of self destruction."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Writing Batman as obsessive, self-destructive and having poor personal relationships especially with women is just kind of standard at this point. Because it works.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Imagine coming up with "doing magic is just martial arts but with CG weapons against CG backdrops" and then not even bothering to do that very well.

They blew it by not ripping off Holy Flame of the Martial World and Swordsman 2: Asia the Invincible and stuff in ways other than marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhAjc5VIx3k

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Writing Batman as obsessive, self-destructive and having poor personal relationships especially with women is just kind of standard at this point. Because it works.

Yeah, but Following, Memento, Insomnia, especially Prestige (where it is a fake catalyst) etc all are all about that too, and Inception is the coda where someone gets past that before he switches to other things.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Although there is still a dead wife in Interstellar, and her dying because of the lack of what used to be readily available technology is part of McConaughey's motivation. Though it is only brought up once I think, so maybe it's part of Nolan's detox from the trope.

Speaking of, I have no idea what Tenet could possibly be about but I am super excited for it. Robert Pattinson and John David Washington in a Nolan? Hell yes. Elizabeth Debicki's performance was one of the standouts of Widows for me so also looking forward to seeing what she could do with Nolan. Tenet and Dune are looking like the big movies of 2020 for me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chairman Capone posted:

Although there is still a dead wife in Interstellar, and her dying because of the lack of what used to be readily available technology is part of McConaughey's motivation. Though it is only brought up once I think, so maybe it's part of Nolan's detox from the trope.

In Interstellar, the woman the lead is super obsessed with to the point of self destruction is his daughter.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Schwarzwald posted:

In Interstellar, the woman the lead is super obsessed with to the point of self destruction is his daughter.

MURRPH!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

My criticism of Interstellar is the same as when it came out: they let McConaughey say "murph" and "slick" one too many times.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, but reuiniting with a child is a lot different than unhealthy romantic obsession and putting people on pedestals.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My criticism of Interstellar is the same as when it came out: they let McConaughey say "murph" and "slick" one too many times.

I feel that this was counterbalanced by him saying "TARS" a bunch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sloth Life posted:

I think they are the best Marvel movies. The other ones are bigger and more bombastic but Ant Man 1 and 2 have so much heart and charm it is unbelievable, and not just down to Paul Rudd, it's all of them. Spider Man (Holland) is a close second and they should team up, weaponise the cute.

Technically Marvel already did that in Civil War, although they were on opposite sides.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jedit posted:

Technically Marvel already did that in Civil War, although they were on opposite sides.

I think the only part of Civil War that I genuinely liked was when Paul Rudd let out that giant, triumphant, "HOLY poo poo THIS ACTUALLY WORKED" muahuahua laugh when he became Giant Man.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

C'mon TARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The most Texan astronaut there ever was.