Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

What's everyone favorite horse in Online? Especially looking for info about the role ones: Criollo, Kladruber, Norfolk, Breton

Criollo seems to be an alternative Missouri Fox Trotter, Breton an alternative Turkoman, the other two no idea really but the Kladruber has abysmal speed which isn't ok by me, I need to haul rear end. Would Criollo be the best for that?

I already have the 250$ red arabian at full bond, and I like it, even if it's a lot more skittish than any other horse I tried... but I'm at the point where some extra speed and stamina would make my life much easier since I'm running up and down to chase collectibles and trying to get back to the camp that Cripps keeps moving every 10 minutes to the opposite side of the region :argh:

I use a rank 20 Breton. With the best saddle and stirrups, he's only one speed block slower than an Arabian with a decent temperament. Wolves are the only thing that really seem to make him buck but generally if I can keep him calm it isn't a big deal.

ETA: Well since I page sniped, here's a link for the goon Discord: https://discord.gg/gvtTTnw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Zesty posted:

Why don’t you play with a controller then?

Mostly because I'm lazy and dont wanna buy a controller, but also because I think in game, I'm playing with other KeyNMouse guys. When you cant just snap to head it makes shootouts between players more tense. Cover matters. Taking time to aim matters. If you want to get some guys you might have to plan it out.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm not impressed by the temperament or the handling of the Missouri Fox Trotter. I got the free black thoroughbred which came with the special/ultimate/uber/whatever edition I bought for PC and it's much better. It's got worse stamina and health, but health is rarely an issue and neither is stamina with max bonding and best saddle/stirrups. Might try the Turkoman eventually, but so far I really enjoy my thoroughbred.

E: I don't know if this thoroughbred is available with the standard version of the game..

Absolutely do not sleep on the Thoroughbred, it's big, fast as hell, and not too skittish at max bonding. It's probably not the best horse for any one thing but it's a top tier all rounder.

Also the Nacogdoches saddle along with even middling stirrups makes stamina a non-issue and it's available fairly early so make sure to pick that up when you can.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well well I just took a look at my ranks and the only horse I'm even close to unlocking is the Criollo anyway, so I guess it'll have to do when I actually have extra money

Right now I just bought the large trading wagon so I hope I'll be stacking up cash a bit quicker from now on; I'm at 450$ and will need about 950$ for a decent horse plus 350$ for the horse lantern, and I'll be set for the near future. Then after that I can start actually planning to buy recipes and stuff (350$ just to be able to make small game arrows? What a deal :downsgun: )

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Hihohe posted:

Mostly because I'm lazy and dont wanna buy a controller, but also because I think in game, I'm playing with other KeyNMouse guys. When you cant just snap to head it makes shootouts between players more tense. Cover matters. Taking time to aim matters. If you want to get some guys you might have to plan it out.

Honestly I think the KBM settings are a lot of fun and I like the extra tension brought by that lack of assist and having to rely on cover more. You get better at it the more you use the mouse. In fact, I'd say I'm better at shooting (especially headshots) with a mouse than I am with a controller.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I liked the Klad the best for horses. It never bumps you off at all. I've had 3 or 4 wolves directly around my horse and it didn't kick me off.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Of the four horses I have, I've found my Criollo and Thoroughbred to be the winners. My dumb starter horse is OK, and my Hungarian Halfbred is a terrible horse who is afraid of a single blade of grass moving in the breeze even at max bonding. Hoping to get a Klad next, or maybe the Fox Trotter since I'm nearing that unlock level.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Well well I just took a look at my ranks and the only horse I'm even close to unlocking is the Criollo anyway, so I guess it'll have to do when I actually have extra money

Right now I just bought the large trading wagon so I hope I'll be stacking up cash a bit quicker from now on; I'm at 450$ and will need about 950$ for a decent horse plus 350$ for the horse lantern, and I'll be set for the near future. Then after that I can start actually planning to buy recipes and stuff (350$ just to be able to make small game arrows? What a deal :downsgun: )

Spend a day running around the map picking up every single Collector item (skip bird eggs) for an easy $3k+, plus a shitload of XP.

Transmogrifier posted:

Honestly I think the KBM settings are a lot of fun and I like the extra tension brought by that lack of assist and having to rely on cover more. You get better at it the more you use the mouse. In fact, I'd say I'm better at shooting (especially headshots) with a mouse than I am with a controller.

I used Dead Eye as a massive crutch during singleplayer but after a few days in Online I'm pulling off the most satisfying headshots and it's great.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TorakFade posted:

I've been very happy with my Criollo. It helps that by doing Collector to rank 20 you also will have the cash you need to buy it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So with the caveat that I'm almost 100% sure that there is some level of temperament randomization occurring when you purchase a horse, I hated my Criollo and have never once had a problem with my Breton, so take what you will from that.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I liked the Klad the best for horses. It never bumps you off at all. I've had 3 or 4 wolves directly around my horse and it didn't kick me off.

Same, 95% of my deaths in PvE pre-Kladruber were from getting thrown off a horse spooked by animals. My Klad is a loving rock and never tosses me, even when charging grizzlies are involved.

I did a semi-effort post on horses when I was shopping around:

Hakarne posted:

I did a lot of research on horses around the internet before deciding which one to buy. What I found are roughly 4 broad metrics besides the obvious health and stamina (which you can easily see on the purchase screen): Speed, Acceleration, Bravery for gunfights, and Bravery for wild animals. What I found:

Breton - Average speed and acceleration for an end-game horse, great bravery in gunfights, ok-to-good bravery around wild animals.

Klad - Average speed, good-to-great acceleration (only horse with a higher acceleration than speed stat), good bravery around gunfights, great bravery around wild animals (possibly best of all horses).

Criollo - Fastest horse, high top speed, good acceleration, ok-to-good bravery around both gunfights and wild animals (it's subjective and seemed to vary).

Again a lot of that's subjective but it makes sense. Collector is the fastest for zooming around the map, bounty hunter needs to be great in a gunfight, and trader needs a brave horse for hunting.

Personally, 90% of my PvE deaths can be linked to wild animals (cougars mainly). And most of those involve getting thrown from my horse, so I went with the Kladruber. I love it so far, I took him Grizzly hunting and he was rock-solid even when the bear was charging at me, and that's only at level 3/4 bonding. He's also good in a gunfight, I don't see him tossing me unless I just sit still and let him get shot repeatedly. He's also the only horse that maxes both health and stamina iirc so he has that going for him too.

Edit: This lady does awesome, succinct overviews of horses. Check these out:

Kladruber: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4MuzXFrVs

Breton: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OcVxw1MOO3Y

Criollo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ws86N21Xndg

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I haven’t used any of the other “end game” horses other than the Norfolk Roadster but it’s an absolute beast and seems like if my friends Arabian has a faster top speed, it’s only just barely faster.

He’s definitely much quicker off the line, though. The Norfolk takes a long time to get up to speed.

Plus the dappled one with the default mane has a cool pattern/spot on it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Supposedly I got a free Kladruber from enabling the 2 step verification but since the game is asking me to use one of my discount tickets to buy a horse I have no idea how to actually claim it so I'm just going to wait until I can purchase the Breton then get the free Klad assuming this 2 step verification thing isn't bugged in some way. I didn't get the rewards for two IRL days and had to poke their support center to get the gold so who really knows if I got the free horse or not. I don't want to drop the cash on two new stable slots and another horse to find out. I'm almost up to level where I can start making explosive shells and the loving recipes in this game cost an arm and a leg.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I love my brindle thoroughbred. It will get spooked occasionally but less than other horses I've owned. Generally if you mash the calm button at keep distance from wolves you'll stay in the saddle. He really loving hates cougars though, I just dismount before he throws me lol.

With a high end saddle/stirrup combo he's fast as hell too.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Orv posted:

So with the caveat that I'm almost 100% sure that there is some level of temperament randomization occurring when you purchase a horse, I hated my Criollo and have never once had a problem with my Breton, so take what you will from that.

i've heard a lot of people say this and i have no idea if it's true but if i get a bad roll on my turkoman i'm gonna be pissed

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My experience with an Arabian, Ardennes, Breton, Criollo, and a couple others is that there are only two horse personalities/temperaments: Very Panicky and Not As Panicky. I think there's faaaaaar less variation than people attribute to them but there's some RNG involved in the horse's response to danger which gets weighted towards panic the more stressors you add. But I don't think anyone has datamined out of the game exactly how horse AI works.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

My experience with an Arabian, Ardennes, Breton, Criollo, and a couple others is that there are only two horse personalities/temperaments: Very Panicky and Not As Panicky. I think there's faaaaaar less variation than people attribute to them but there's some RNG involved in the horse's response to danger which gets weighted towards panic the more stressors you add. But I don't think anyone has datamined out of the game exactly how horse AI works.

I think this is probably true. My Criollo doesn't get spooked by gun fire most of the time, usually just if she actually takes a bullet and never been an issue while I was on her. Animals will spook her but typically only after a few moments; for example wolves can run by us and it isn't until she's surrounded that she'll kick me off so I have a pretty good gap between when I'll be able to kill the wolves and when I'll get kicked off the horse.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hihohe posted:

This game is not designed for freeaim. You're not going to hit poo poo from a horse, for instance. Very very occasionally I'll bring a hand off my controller to use the rolling block, but for the most part the game is so much more comfortable on a controller.

I don't know if you played GTA Online, but people on assisted aim vs free aim are in different lobbies. And assisted aim is not at all good with a mouse. If you're playing assisted aim, you're playing with other controller users.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Zesty posted:

This game is not designed for freeaim. You're not going to hit poo poo from a horse, for instance. Very very occasionally I'll bring a hand off my controller to use the rolling block, but for the most part the game is so much more comfortable on a controller.

I don't know if you played GTA Online, but people on assisted aim vs free aim are in different lobbies. And assisted aim is not at all good with a mouse. If you're playing assisted aim, you're playing with other controller users.

I dont think theres an assisted aim option for KBM at least I haven't seen it. Like I said games still fun even if I'm a stormtrooper from Star wars.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like playing single player in freeaim, because you can live in dead eye for every encounter and pop heads all day. I just use a controller in RDO because it's easier.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I play on PC with a controller. I assume there's still a miss chance with guns in mouse aim and that would drive me loving nuts. I can accept if I suck and actually miss but free aiming and having good accuracy then missing because guns are inaccurate is intolerable on a mouse for me. It's a reasonable balance to assisted aim on a controller though.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I've just been using Hansgruber the Kladgruber (entry-level) and he's usually good about gunfights (until he gets downed, anyway, or if I'm fighting dismounted), but get hosed if there's wolves. Snakes, he'll launch like Vin Diesel with a musclecar, but he won't buck.

Speaking of launching: more hackers, or rather, a couple annoying ones and a recurring gently caress that despite trying server changes, I kept getting stuck back in with. Also a non-hacker that executed me as I was idling in a house, filling out my Collector-map with what I was looking for. <shrug> Had a red-dot dude show up as I was popping random bandits hauling a dude off on horseback, followed by harvesting oleander, but he just seemed content to loiter and watch for enenmies/critters, I guess, no aggro.

Saturday, I completed nearly a full set of *everything* using the jeanropke map - one piece of jewelry wasn't where it was reported to be down in a graveyard between Tumbleweed and Armadillo, another (different set) was clearly marked as "difficult climb" in the mountains and I didn't feel like cowboy parkour, and one egg stayed in the tree when the nest was broken. (I think I can get that if I jack a stage to climb up.) Roughly $2k, and still have nearly full sets of dupe tarot cards to finish out. Went and bought the essentials: hat tipping and a hunting wagon, which I'll gently caress with tonight maybe.

Fast-travel fuckery: payed my $2, went to camp - which was a table, hitching post, and nothing else. Not an invisible camp, but instead of being down on the riverbank north of Flatneck, camp was actually off in Bluewater Marsh.

Game fuckery: discard some oleander to re-pick for the daily. Pick the required number. Oh wait, one didn't register? Same happened for killin' wolves - I killed all three attacking a stranger, only got credit for two... and even running in wolf turf like the road up to Colter, of from Strawberry northwards, or even the geyser field, not one single other wolf even howled. :dogstare: Didn't register my Drunkard stew last night, either.

Might go ahead and try a story mission tonight, but I kinda want to raise my Bounty Killer rank some, so I can buy bolas.

And one more gently caress You Rockstar for all the game that spawns once I'm on a delivery run. Wonder if posseing up with someone that has a hunting wagon would work when I do that?

Edit: almost forgot, ranked mu Unblinking Eye up to max, so of course I stopped getting ambushed/finding hideouts/delivering to Yeehaw Beirut.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 13, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ygolonac posted:

I've just been using Hansgruber the Kladgruber (entry-level) and he's usually good about gunfights (until he gets downed, anyway, or if I'm fighting dismounted), but get hosed if there's wolves. Snakes, he'll launch like Vin Diesel with a musclecar, but he won't buck.

Gonna get a Kladgruber now and name him Bill Clay.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BILL

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

bill "bill" billiamson

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
loving poo poo myself going into a lone cabin in the Northwest. Surprise grizzly inside.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Zesty posted:

loving poo poo myself going into a lone cabin in the Northwest. Surprise grizzly inside.

Ayup.

Kinda wonder if that happen if you go around to the back door?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ended up in a match with these two.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"I didn't ask for this"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
"My beard is augmented"

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I was going more for a post-apocalyptic vibe on that outfit, but I see what you mean. :v:

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Ygolonac posted:

Ayup.

Kinda wonder if that happen if you go around to the back door?

Having done this, I can confirm that it still results in a pants-making GBS threads experience.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Ended up in a match with these two.

loving I was not expecting people to make mario and luigi in this game.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hihohe posted:

loving I was not expecting people to make mario and luigi in this game.

New to customisable anything in vidyagames, are you?

I'm certain that people are using every trick and glitch to make anime waifus, I've just managed to avoid encountering any imagery...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Game doesn't register stuff lately. Camp changes, missions that don't complete... Luckily it never ate money or gold yet, but it's a mess and very crash-prone

Hopefully now that Christmas period is over they can actually fix stuff and give us a patch?

Also unlocked bounty hunting, went off to do my first bounty and once I get there I have a prompt to find a "scouting position" but there's no sign, area or indication on the map. I get closer and see some enemies, I crouch but they still spot me, shooting starts, the bounty arrives and immediately flees, I try to give chase but I get sidetracked by 10 guys shooting at me, lose the bounty and fail the mission.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Do you have to use stealth? Because I am more of a guns-blazing type and really don't like stealth in this game especially

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Ygolonac posted:

Game fuckery: discard some oleander to re-pick for the daily. Pick the required number. Oh wait, one didn't register? Same happened for killin' wolves - I killed all three attacking a stranger, only got credit for two... and even running in wolf turf like the road up to Colter, of from Strawberry northwards, or even the geyser field, not one single other wolf even howled. :dogstare: Didn't register my Drunkard stew last night, either.

It's surprisingly bad at counting, considering it's a computer program. I don't think I've had any problems with the "X amount of collectables" daily challenges. But any plant pickin or animal skinning challenge is pretty wonky more often than not.

Being on PS4 I've not seen hackers, but lately people have been really into attacking out of the blue from defensive mode. To the point that a defensive tick on their username is a more reliable warning of upcoming fuckery than a red dot on the minimap. I'm assuming it's new players after the holidays, since they're pretty easy to dispose of. Still, it's pretty satisfying to pop a couple of slugs in their chest and watch them tuck tail and gently caress off after a couple of respawns.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ps4 as well. i lucked out last nite. came into a server with just 5 other people. i was able to get a couple more trading ranks really quick, there were animal everywhere!

eventually session filled up and my camp vanished and that was that but man it was nice while it lasted

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

TorakFade posted:

Is this how it's supposed to be? Do you have to use stealth? Because I am more of a guns-blazing type and really don't like stealth in this game especially

In that scenario, only until the target arrives. They'll probably flee when the shooting starts, but unless the poster specified "alive"...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SplitSoul posted:

In that scenario, only until the target arrives. They'll probably flee when the shooting starts, but unless the poster specified "alive"...

OK got it, hopefully next ones will be more shooty-shooty from the start, I was a bit confused :)

Is it still true that you have to turn in bounties as late as possible to maximize the reward, as I've read on many websites? It sounds like a really bad mechanic... like punishing you for working quickly and efficiently :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

TorakFade posted:

OK got it, hopefully next ones will be more shooty-shooty from the start, I was a bit confused :)

Is it still true that you have to turn in bounties as late as possible to maximize the reward, as I've read on many websites? It sounds like a really bad mechanic... like punishing you for working quickly and efficiently :confused:

Huh, I will check that out tonight. I figured it was usually tied to RNG and spawn distance; so if something spawns further away it was worth more. Seems very random though and the bounties that require you to follow a trail are such time consuming pains in the rear end which is compounded by the disconnect issue.