Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

pospysyl posted:

Lol, only two PoC were nominated for the major Oscars (Bong Joon-Ho and Cynthia Erivio). It's going to be a shitshow.

i remember hearing about Harriet months ago because it takes some very... interesting liberties with Harriet Tubman's story, but all the old people coming to my theater loved it so of course that movie got nominated for an Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Love Issa

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThePopHub/status/1216719707971235840

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have never seen a more heavy-handed and less subtle film than Coppola's Dracula. While that may be the appeal for some, it did not work for me at all.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pro click lmao

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Also how do you shut out Uncut Gems and the Farewell and Booksmart

i'm legit mad that Skywalker is up for best soundtrack and Uncut Gems was snubbed for soundtrack and sound design

Williams is legendary but he's absolutely phoning it in for these new films (as he should)

In retrospect The Lighthouse should have absolutely got a sound design nom as well

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
lol at the Oscars, just lol at the whole drat thing

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why do we bother with Oscars again?

Like I say this every year about the Golden Globes but man this year's Oscars are...blah. Like I don't know how it's possible to look at that list of nominations and just feel like maybe the billions spent on this would be better used by doing literally anything else.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I wasn't familiar with the Safdie brothers until Uncut Gems, but I just watched Good Time last night and holy cow. :stare: I think I liked it even better. I was so wound up I needed a drink afterwards.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I hope Sandler is a man of his word
https://twitter.com/EW/status/1201966228891418625

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I want to watch that Sandler movie, whatever it may be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
isn't that just every other film he's ever made

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
it's time for adam sandler's holocaust comedy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TrixRabbi posted:

I want to watch that Sandler movie, whatever it may be.

Jack and Jill Fart 2

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What would a decent awards Best Of ceremony even look like? I feel like the format is inherently flawed. Picking favorites feels like it needs to come from an individual's perspective, otherwise it's bound to produce highly bland results.

I'd love a show that highlights all of the creativity, artistry, and skill of individuals, studios, and production companies over the course of the year. One that lets me see VFX artists break down how they composited a wildly complex shot, and an interview with a screenwriter talking about the challenges of adapting a novel into a screenplay, or a director talking about the challenges of bringing their 10-year passion project to screen, or a location scout talking about their process and how they found that perfect location for some sequence. Hell, give the best craft services guy in the business a spotlight.

Not the general public would give a poo poo, but that's the only yearly celebration of industry that I can see being legitimately interesting to me. Not a ceremony where you celebrate the end product as much as the process of creating it. Ultimately it would end up being the same sort of thing as the Oscars, though, as the people and projects highlighted would end up being highly politicized.

Or I could see a version of the Academy Awards where only VFX artists can vote for VFX awards, only directors can vote for directors, etc. That'd be bound to produce slightly more interesting results.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, there is that script for Grown Ups 3 available.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

feedmyleg posted:

Or I could see a version of the Academy Awards where only VFX artists can vote for VFX awards, only directors can vote for directors, etc. That'd be bound to produce slightly more interesting results.

The VES awards are this, for VFX.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I have never seen a more heavy-handed and less subtle film than Coppola's Dracula. While that may be the appeal for some, it did not work for me at all.

Yea I think you're pretty accurate here. It's completely over the top to the point of ridiculousness at certain points, but that's why I love it. In that context, I also think Reeve's accent works perfectly well the same way Hopkins performance does. If anything, Gary Oldman is the one who didn't quite seem to understand the type of movie he had signed up for, even if he still delivered a fantastic performance, because Hopkins 100% does and you can see that in the behind the scenes features.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wayne Diamond was snubbed, give my mans the best supporting actor nod.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, gently caress the Oscars.

Dafoe and Pattison getting snubbed loving sucks. Lighthouse in general getting hosed sucks.

Uncut Gems getting hosed sucks too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is there anyone here that still thinks awards shows matter? We seem to have this identical conversation every year.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
These days, there are simply so many viable alternatives to watching the Oscars, like the On Cinema Oscars special, or my homemade playlist of the top ten anime battles.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CPL593H posted:

Is there anyone here that still thinks awards shows matter? We seem to have this identical conversation every year.

Sometimes you just wanna see your team win.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I find the Oscars interesting because they show the state of the industry but it is all meaningless masturbation and this year's noms don't say much beyond the industry has a lot invested in making Oscar movies and Summer blockbusters the same thing and Joker will probably sweep because of that unless it doesn't. I mean I still don't know how this is going to turn out but it sure as hell won't be interesting

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Coaaab posted:

it's time for adam sandler's holocaust comedy

The Day The Clown Cried, but with a modern big budget.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Sometimes you just wanna see your team win.

Shouldn't bet on the weird black and white movie by the horror director that didn't get nominated for his previous also deserving film then

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pattison is one of the greatest working actors right now but he constantly gets poo poo on by people as "Twilight lololololol".

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I keep telling myself I’m not gonna get mad about the Oscars and then I do anyways, every single year.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

The bitter shitfits are the most important aspect of the whole tradition, my dude.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Pattison is one of the greatest working actors right now but he constantly gets poo poo on by people as "Twilight lololololol".

Does he, though? I feel like that was true a decade ago, but for anyone other than angry Batman dweebs, I think that perception has long passed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

feedmyleg posted:

Does he, though? I feel like that was true a decade ago, but for anyone other than angry Batman dweebs, I think that perception has long passed.

To the general public I believe so, yeah. And the Batman dweebs is where some of my anger comes from - the announcement drew out the worst in tons of people. Even on these very forums.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

When I tried to get people to see the lighthouse they chuckled when I said it starred Pattinson

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

CPL593H posted:

no but i think it would've been amusing for sandler to get nominated for being a lead in a safdie film over pattinson who gave a similarly grating (in a good way) performance a few years back

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched cats then 1917 on Saturday. It was an interesting double feature.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Robert Pattinson had pretty open contempt for Twilight and was very upfront about only being in it for the money. People who don't like him are just squares. I think he rules, there aren't too many people I can think of that were in a huge franchise, made gently caress you money, and then used that as an opportunity to quietly go off and just make movies they'd like to be in. Maybe Daniel Radcliffe, but Pattinson's output is way better than anything Daniel Radcliffe has done since Harry Potter.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

CPL593H posted:

No.

They especially won’t matter when Cats is crowned Pinnacle of the Medium and movies stop being made

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

Robert Pattinson had pretty open contempt for Twilight and was very upfront about only being in it for the money. People who don't like him are just squares. I think he rules, there aren't too many people I can think of that were in a huge franchise, made gently caress you money, and then used that as an opportunity to quietly go off and just make movies they'd like to be in. Maybe Daniel Radcliffe, but Pattinson's output is way better than anything Daniel Radcliffe has done since Harry Potter.

Elijah Wood has basically done the same thing, but also most of his post-lotr movies have been garbage. It turns out he just really likes schlock.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
mother! is wild, but never feels like it’s too jarring when it starts going off the rails. It feels like a dream, where one event seamlessly fades into another event with no definite beginning or end. Unlike anything I’ve seen for a very long time, and I can’t believe Aronofsky got away with it. Biggest shocker was Domnhall Gleeson suddenly showing up.

CPL593H posted:

Kristin Stewart’s right there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Elijah Wood is legit as hell.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maniac with Elijah Wood is fantastic imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I wasn't familiar with the Safdie brothers until Uncut Gems, but I just watched Good Time last night and holy cow. :stare: I think I liked it even better. I was so wound up I needed a drink afterwards.

Now watch Heaven Knows What