Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I realize I implied i was going. Sprint cars and racing are amazing, it's just not a world that easy to get into, so i was wondering what y'all thought. Really wish I could go, but it's too far away these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I realize I implied i was going. Sprint cars and racing are amazing, it's just not a world that easy to get into, so i was wondering what y'all thought. Really wish I could go, but it's too far away these days.

I live in New England so pavement oval racing is the biggest thing around here. I've been to a couple of dirt races, World of Outlaws, in different parts of the country and it is really awesome to watch, I enjoy it for sure I just don't see a lot of it in person. The way that I basically understand it is if you win the Chili Bowl or like Knoxville Nationals or any one of those big dirt races you are pretty drat good racer because those are the types of races the top tier racers will still show up to and try to win even though they have "made it" already.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Much of the appeal of the Chili Bowl is that it's a mix of drivers unlike any other race in existence. NASCAR, Indycar, USAC, World of Outlaws, NHRA, and late model racers are all represented, not to mention local racers from all over the country. While the mega teams still dominate, the small track levels the playing field a bit, so the guy who keeps an old midget around to run once a year at the Chili Bowl still has a chance. A guy won a heat race a couple years back with a $400 junkyard motor out of a Cobalt, for example. The rulebook is notoriously thin, so there's room for one-off's and innovation, so you'll occasionally have someone show up with a bike tire or ski on the left front, or a top-fuel style rollcage, or run practice in a t-shirt and open-face helmet. The racing is also generally fantastic, and from what I gather it's a weeklong party. I've never been, but it's a bucket list race to attend, even if just for a couple qualifying nights. The hype has really exploded the past few years, but what's not to love about a field of 350+ cars doing battle in the middle of winter on a tiny, racy track where literally anybody could be in the next race?

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Seriously if you're interested in this stuff at all, go check out your local track next summer. I'm biased as hell since I've been involved in dirt racing my entire life, but nothing beats a good short track race. Guys who are racing because they really want to race, wheeling cars they likely built and fund themselves. Some tracks are run like poo poo, and sometimes you get unlucky and it's a bad race, but when you hear IndyCar or NASCAR fans recalling the "good old days", that poo poo is still happening weekly at short tracks all over the country. Go check it out!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I had never been to a winged sprint car race until last June, when Tony Stewart's series came to my local track. The race was entertaining and the fact that Stewart and Kyle Larson were in a small town in Ohio on a random Sunday afternoon competing against regulars was fantastic, especially since they weren't locks to win by any stretch. (Larson finished third, Stewart DNFed.)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hearing engines fire, having dirt flung into the stands and seeing front stretch wheel stands on track is the goddamn best thing in racing, try and change my mind

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/AdventHealth/status/1215311188952801280

Does this mean Chastain will be in what's effectively a third Ganassi car at Daytona just as McMurray did last year?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/jimmiejohnson/status/1214897185533370368?s=21

drat.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

My grandparents have a bunch of those posters framed at their house too, including that one.

They are indeed :krad:

(I'm sure all 6 people who post itt are aware of the backstory, but if you're not, take a close look at Tim Richmond)

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 10, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hunnert car pileup posted:

My grandparents have a bunch of those posters framed at their house too, including that one.

They are indeed :krad:

(I'm sure all 6 people who post itt are aware of the backstory, but if you're not, take a close look at Tim Richmond)

I just linked the Dinner With Racers two-part podcast interview about The '87 Winston Poster ^^^^^ RIGHT UP THERE

And apparently the Amazon Prime episode about this poster went live this week as well.

harperdc posted:

Not sure it was mentioned on the Discord but the best NASCAR content of this offseason has to come from the Dinner With Racers podcast (and Amazon Prime show!) about Tim Richmond and The Poster. Part 1 features former press and PR people talking about Tim and The Poster, and Part 2 features Kyle Petty, Terry Labonte, Bobby Allison and Geoff Bodine, with some spectacular stories.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

my bad, drat

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

The top driver domino now has to be Daniel Suarez. SHR wanted to retain him as he had 95-percent of the funding available. He has money but now no where to go in Cup. It looks like his final prospects are with the No. 96 Toyota for Gaunt Brothers.

https://racereviewonline.home.blog/2020/01/10/nascar-silly-season-update-3/

So SHR turned Suarez away because he was 5% short on the cash SHR needed him to bring to the table? They weren't able to make up the difference (or just wanted Custer in the 41 more)?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If they don't give Custer that seat he would have gone somewhere else most likely. IMO they should have given him Bowyer's ride but people like Clint and he's good on TV so I can see reasons for keeping him around.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

If they don't give Custer that seat he would have gone somewhere else most likely. IMO they should have given him Bowyer's ride but people like Clint and he's good on TV so I can see reasons for keeping him around.

Custer's dad is the COO of Haas, he wasn't going to any other team.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Oh right, forgot about that connection. Still think they should have given him Bowyer's ride.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Why does it matter which car a driver is in? I've read a lot on forums and Facebook, where people wish X driver should have been/be in Y car.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There are only a few teams that are really competitive, people want drivers they like in better equipment. Daniel Suarez was in top tier equipment and he'll probably end up in a backmarker car this year if he has a ride at all.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

There are only a few teams that are really competitive, people want drivers they like in better equipment. Daniel Suarez was in top tier equipment and he'll probably end up in a backmarker car this year if he has a ride at all.

Does that hold true for teams with multiple cars?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Cars all under the same umbrella will usually separate themselves by driver talent and how good the crew chief is at setting up the car and running race strategy but their equipment will all be relatively equal unless they are using a driver who is out of the running for a championship to experiment for future races/seasons.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm hoping Suarez drops back to Xfinity at this point and has a competitive ride versus just staying in Cup for the sake of being there. Drop down, get some wins, go from there. Dude is still young in reality and an athlete, he's got 15 or 20 years to do this still

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Also Gene Haas is a dick, Namaste

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ThePopeOfFun posted:

It depends. What big nipples big life said is pretty accurate these days but, at one point, Hendrick Motorsports had three cars, the 5 (Terry Labonte), 24 (Jeff Gordon) and 25 (Ricky Craven, Wally Dallenbach, Jerry Nadeau, Joe Nemechek, Brian Vickers, Casey Mears; Tony Stewart was once wanted for this car). The 5 and 24 were championship contenders, while the 25 was the third wheel and only occasionally grabbed a win. When Hendrick added the 48 for Jimmie Johnson in 2001, they weren't fast in the handful of races run that year, but gained steam quickly.

In the last few years, highly-talented driver Kyle Larson was said to be the desired replacement for Gordon and Tony Stewart (the 14) but, due to his contracts with Ganassi (the 42 car), he ended up in neither; Chase Elliott replaced Gordon and Clint Bowyer for Stewart.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 10, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I guess I dont get why 5 & 24 were championship contenders. They're the same car, right?

Or do you say 5 and imply the driver as well?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Didn't Hendrick have 2 buildings at that time (they still might I dunno)? So it was more like 2 teams with the same name rather than 1 3 or 4 car team.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I guess I dont get why 5 & 24 were championship contenders. They're the same car, right?

Some of it with the 25 car was driver, but I've read some of it was equipment as well.

Didn't Hendrick have 2 buildings at that time (they still might I dunno)? So it was more like 2 teams with the same name rather than 1 3 or 4 car team.

I got a behind-the-scenes tour of the 24 shop in 1998 and can't remember any of the 5 cars being there, so it might actually have been 3 buildings, as the 25 shop was in the same building as the museum and could be seen from inside.

They later broke out to the 24/48 and 5/25 (later 88) buildings, with the old 25 shop I guess being used when they ran that #60 as an R&D car with David Green.

e- Using another '90s example, Jeff Burton said on DJD that there was active competition at Roush between his team (the 99) and Mark Martin/Ted Musgrave (the 6/16)'s early on because they didn't operate from the same shop.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 10, 2020

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

I'm hoping Suarez drops back to Xfinity at this point and has a competitive ride versus just staying in Cup for the sake of being there. Drop down, get some wins, go from there. Dude is still young in reality and an athlete, he's got 15 or 20 years to do this still

I think that is his best bet really. He's only had a few years in Cup to get his feet under him, what did it take Logano, like 5 seasons and a team change before he became a viable threat in Cup? I could see Bowyer getting moved out for Suarez but I feel like it was a little bit of a down year for Haas as a whole and it seemed like Clint was a little more competitive overall than Suarez but that could be an experience thing. You can't get experience if you ain't in a car. Still I think there is more worth to maybe winning but at least getting running up front experience in Xfinity than getting the experience of trying not to get run over in the Joe Schmoe Brother's #96. How many years do you think Clint has left? Guys seem to be retiring earlier and earlier, maybe Clint finishes his contract and Suarez gets another shot then?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The 41 didn't have a bad season overall, they blew it with penalties and cost themselves three or four top 10s. Even making playoffs he wasn't retaining that ride with Haas controlling the car and Custer coming up. Smoke and the other drivers like the guy so would be cool seeing him get back there. Who knows though, NASCAR has gotten pretty nuts with moving young drivers up and cycling tbrkjgb them instead of letting them develop.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

ThePopeOfFun posted:

They're not the same car. Teams have like 6 or 7 cars for each driver, usually set up for the different style tracks (for example most cars are built to pull to the left but you don't want that at road courses where you turn left and right). Usually the cars are set up by the crew chief for each individual entry. So the setup for the 25 could be worse than the setup for the 24.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That experimental pit stop poo poo is being done to iron out the kinks before the implement it with the new Cup car in 2021.

They’re 100% doing it, it’s just a matter of how it’s all laid out come 2021.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

That experimental pit stop poo poo is being done to iron out the kinks before the implement it with the new Cup car in 2021.

They’re 100% doing it, it’s just a matter of how it’s all laid out come 2021.

If true, I'm glad to see they're going to experiment with something in the "minors" before forcing it into Cup for once.

e- Owns. OWNS. Must-watch video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQpIyp7TD80

Two things-
-What's the purpose of the inflated bubbles and why would only a few of the cars be in them?
-Apparently Jeff Gordon had an offer to run the Indy 500 "when he was 35", which would be 2006 or 2007.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 12, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Front Row is partnering with DGR/Crosley to start a truck team:

https://twitter.com/jim_utter/status/1216760600275116032

It's unclear if this is in addition to the 54 or if it's the same team with a new investor, but if there are really only 14 full-time teams, this will help.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

If true, I'm glad to see they're going to experiment with something in the "minors" before forcing it into Cup for once.

e- Owns. OWNS. Must-watch video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQpIyp7TD80

Two things-
-What's the purpose of the inflated bubbles and why would only a few of the cars be in them?
-Apparently Jeff Gordon had an offer to run the Indy 500 "when he was 35", which would be 2006 or 2007.

That video was cool as hell. He's basically kept every iconic car he's ever driven. I thought it was a cool bit of insight on the road course chassis, which Jeff said they did about the same thing, is they built one really good road car and just kept using it over and over and over again. Also pretty interesting it was chassis #048, so early on in their chassis building to hit on a really good, winning piece.

I'm sure those bubbles are some sort of preservation deal which is probably why most of his collector type cars were in them, like the #14 off the line Camaro, and #14 off the line Stingray and the Smokey and the Bandit car, all the classic cars. I'm guessing the stock cars he has bubbled up, aside from the IROC, were maybe like the first car he ever ran in Cup and the first car he ever ran for his own team? Just a guess but makes sense to me.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Back to the future!

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1217101712261025794

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's good news, hopefully the cars can follow a little better at those tracks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/1217105022359498752

Raise hell, praise Dale.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Xfinity is running the IMS road course instead of the full oval.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd still prefer IRP, but the road course could be fun. Here's a stock car on the roval:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmvkXxQySrI

...which, timely to the conversation about Smoke's Chassis 048 being a car they ran for years, that was the chassis the 24 team kept running which they dominated on road courses with.

e-

https://twitter.com/NickBromberg/status/1217556151157448704

Make Start and Park Great Again.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 15, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/TonyDIndy/status/1217223840356585475

Might A Good Thing actually happen and the Coke Zero 400 would go back to its rightful place? :ohdear:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 16, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rejoice, maffew buildings:

https://twitter.com/jim_utter/status/1219675809142669315

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/MattWeaverAW/status/1219699851908276224

Congrats to all the truck teams. You've all made the playoffs!