Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know we're talking about the lovely mirror popo getting violently slaughtered, but that doesn't address the poor guy who Lake podjacked. Not that I'm shedding any tears, since both his memories and his number tells me he was a real rear end in a top hat but yeah...he's just snapped awake and thrown out to the wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Owl House is pretty good. It really fills the niche that Star VS and Gravity Falls left behind (Alex Hirsch being several voices probably helped with that). I definitely recommend it.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Infinity Train finale was so good. I haven’t been that satisfied with an ending in a long time. Really hoping for more of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

I know we're talking about the lovely mirror popo getting violently slaughtered, but that doesn't address the poor guy who Lake podjacked. Not that I'm shedding any tears, since both his memories and his number tells me he was a real rear end in a top hat but yeah...he's just snapped awake and thrown out to the wilderness.

Yeah, RIP him.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

readingatwork posted:

Owl House is pretty good. It really fills the niche that Star VS and Gravity Falls left behind (Alex Hirsch being several voices probably helped with that). I definitely recommend it.

I agree, it sort of feels like a fantasy Gravity Falls. The humor isn’t all there just yet, but it is very promising.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
first episode def has that "expository first episode feeling a bit forced" feel that happens with a lot of shows, but yeah I'm game to keep watching

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Shitenshi posted:

I want that guy to be the protagonist of the third season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mermista and Perfuma at least get a few spotlight episodes. Though a bit silly that the former reacts to the loss of her kingdom and a lot of her people presumably getting killed and enslaved by acting like a teenager who just got dumped. I liked Perfuma's ep in the desert; the mostly unspoken idea that Huntara implicitly trusts Adora and Bow enough to assume the hippie obviously out of her element actually has significant powers worth taking her to an incredibly deadly environment.

It does feel like they got most of their ideas for the villains and are mostly just trying to fill time with the heroes. At least the last season ends on some interesting notes that might change things up.

Tengen Toppa Princess Adora

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xelkelvos posted:

That's sorta always been the case for animated violence since the 90s I think. As long as the target of the violence clearly wasn't a human or an animal or something similar, you could get away with all sorts of violence. Thus, a lot of robots in action-y series. Same with guns firing bullets vs. lasers

Yeah, the specific thing is imitable violence. Usually with loopholes a mile wide if you know what you're doing. (see what the DCAU got away with through inference, and the entire Transformers franchise) Occasionally a little egregious like when characters will obviously step up their game when fighting nonhuman enemies. (Aside from deliberate examples like Batman)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Labes for days posted:

Infinity Train finale was so good. I haven’t been that satisfied with an ending in a long time. Really hoping for more of it.
Couldn't agree more. After Steve Universe, this show has hooked me. I want to know more, I want to see more. I was legitimately tearing up for both episodes. I never wanted a cartoon character to get their happy ending more than M.T Lake

Real question is how can Tulip and Lake exist in the same world??

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Couldn't agree more. After Steve Universe, this show has hooked me. I want to know more, I want to see more. I was legitimately tearing up for both episodes. I never wanted a cartoon character to get their happy ending more than M.T Lake

Real question is how can Tulip and Lake exist in the same world??

According to the AMA, Tulip just doesn't have a reflection anymore. So hopefully she just doesn't hang around mirrors with other people very much, lest they start to think she's a vampire...

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
If you want to get the gist of the Infinity Train AMAs without having to wade through Reddit's horrible comment system, someone made a post summarizing all the questions answered (and not answered).

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Binged through Mystery Incorporated and got touched when Fred told Daphne he loved her. I don't know if I loved the supernatural aspect of the final enemy and the wrap up of everything was..ok but still loved the series. Has there been more scooby doo since this was put out?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thundercats roar looks like it's going for OK KO energy rather than Teen Titans Go energy

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

drat that answer about the Toad Car. Imagine ending up in there after a few other people. Imagine ending up in there at all. :stonk:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The first episode of Owl House is up on YouTube: https://youtu.be/DViUDJuFPhQ

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rescuing weirdos from the conformatorium is a bit on the nose. Not really what I expected, but I guess there's still a lot of potential.

Do people still make AMVs? I haven't seen those around in a long while.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SlothfulCobra posted:

Rescuing weirdos from the conformatorium is a bit on the nose. Not really what I expected, but I guess there's still a lot of potential.

Do people still make AMVs? I haven't seen those around in a long while.

https://twitter.com/joviellety/status/1166124521537122304
https://twitter.com/random_moomoo/status/1166380295425286148

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dang youtube algorithm hiding things from me! :argh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weird Al became a pony because he noticed there was a bunch of pony music videos (PMVs) of his songs.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

TV Zombie posted:

Binged through Mystery Incorporated and got touched when Fred told Daphne he loved her. I don't know if I loved the supernatural aspect of the final enemy and the wrap up of everything was..ok but still loved the series. Has there been more scooby doo since this was put out?
I think the latest series is Stay Cool, Scooby Doo, where they celebrate their high school graduation by hitting the road and solving mysteries. It doesn't have an ongoing plot, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's Be Cool, Scooby-Doo, which kinda got hosed out of the gate by having an art style that's pretty....Family Guy. The writing is pretty good though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Actually the latest series is Scooby-Doo and Guess Who. Which is Scooby Gang teaming up with a different character or celebrity each episode.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

According to the AMA, Tulip just doesn't have a reflection anymore. So hopefully she just doesn't hang around mirrors with other people very much, lest they start to think she's a vampire...

Yeah I remember that part of the ending of the first book. I'm super interested in where it can go from here. If nulls can get existential life crisis and question their existence and actually make it into the "real world" then I'm ready for any weird poo poo this show can throw at me and make me not cry. :qq:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually the latest series is Scooby-Doo and Guess Who. Which is Scooby Gang teaming up with a different character or celebrity each episode.

There's also been, since Mystery Inc. ended, thirteen movies of Scooby Doo. Including the movie titled Scooby Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost where they finally beat the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. Some western movie that's where the Shaggy Ultra Instinto was born, a follow up to Zombie Island, two WWE movies, and a crossover with Batman The Brave and the Bold that came out two years ago and is just a very nice extra episode of Batman the Brave and the Bold.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ah. That's a lot of spinoffs. I wish that they had a coherent plot for their seasons instead of just random monsters of the week. That's what really caught my attention with Mystery Incorporated.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's usually only one series airing at a time and the movies are pretty self-contained for the most part, so it's not quite as complicated as it seems.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you remember the Scooby Doo imitators? Like the one with the shark, and the one with the talking car? (I literally cannot remember their names) You don't see those properties being rebooted or some such. I wonder why.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think most of them were made by the same people, often re-using character models and animation (because Hanna-Barbera was suuuper cheap, but then again everything was in the Dark Age of Animation) explicitly to jump on the bandwagon of Scooby-Doo's popularity.

Mystery Inc has cameos from a bunch of them iirc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's Hanna-Barbera. If they weren't ripping off a sitcom from the 50s, they were ripping off themselves.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you remember the Scooby Doo imitators? Like the one with the shark, and the one with the talking car? (I literally cannot remember their names) You don't see those properties being rebooted or some such. I wonder why.

Some of those people are guests on Scooby-Doo and Guess Who.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No respect.

I think that whole fad was actually started with the 60s Archie animated series, which actually did have a more mystery-oriented successor series. You could also consider Alvin and the Chipmunks as part of that whole thing, which did have a weird, weird revival.

Outside of those, I think most of the other series in that vein were really short-lived and obscure. Speedbuggy, Jabberjaw, and Funky Phantom were each only one season long, and I only remember those because they're owned by Hannah Barbara and a later Scooby Doo series referenced them. Animation back in the days before direct advertisement was legal was cheap and disposable. Maybe as the income gap widens and later generations fail to have as much disposable income, more obscure 70s IPs will be mined out for their nostalgia value, but 80s IPs have more built-in merchandising anyways.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I legit remember Jabberjaw more for that ska-rear end music video than for anything from the actual show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I watched probably more Josie and the Pussycats In Space than is healthy due to being rural and really really bored and they flat out had Shaggy and Fred recolours. (and the Shaggy had glasses) Though did mix up the formula a little with the Pussycats characters themselves, since they had the dumb blonde and the tagalong girl who's a massive bitch. The weird thing is a lot of episodes could basically be knockoffs of Star Trek plots. (though the setup might be more MST3K minus the movies)

I did watch a huge block of old H-B funny animal cartoons (Wally Gator and the like) and I could feel my brain shutting down in self-defense.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think Josie should move from the Riverdale spinoff to her own spinoff show where they do a Riverdale-esque adaptation of both Josie cartoons.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I consider their appearances on Mystery Inc canon to their respective series, even if it's all in Scooby's dream in Mystery Inc!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's also been, since Mystery Inc. ended, thirteen movies of Scooby Doo. Including the movie titled Scooby Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost where they finally beat the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo.
They actually didn't; it was a guy dressed up as the thirteenth ghost. It's left ambiguous within the film as to whether or not the supernatural is real.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Venture Bros is totally canon to Mystery Inc. The Groovy Gang fit in fine!

Argue posted:

I think Josie should move from the Riverdale spinoff to her own spinoff show where they do a Riverdale-esque adaptation of both Josie cartoons.

Including the one where they're in space? Probably can't be worse than Discovery.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr.Radar posted:

If you want to get the gist of the Infinity Train AMAs without having to wade through Reddit's horrible comment system, someone made a post summarizing all the questions answered (and not answered).

"Theoretically, the green numbers would smaller and smaller font as they went up, traveling around your whole body. If you had no space left, they would go into your mouth"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Bee posted:

I legit remember Jabberjaw more for that ska-rear end music video than for anything from the actual show.

Like, seriously, a lot of H-B characters have more cultural cache for being referenced in 90s and 00s Cartoon Network stuff than their own shows.

To this day, I'm still not convinced the Blue Falcon and Dynomutt actually had a TV show of their own.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's cool that Dexter's Lab and Scooby Doo are connected by Blue Falcon.

Also the HB music videos owned, huge fan of the Magilla Gorilla one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

First episode of Owl House was neat. I like that Luz isn't stuck in the Boiling Isles but chose to stay of her own volition.