Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Blaster Master Zero was pretty good, but I got BM02 and had to refund it after like thirty minutes. What happened?

Light Gun Man posted:

I liked both just fine? What problems did you have?

Was it a reaction to Kanna?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Lowness 72 posted:

Are you AMD video card drivers? I recently updated drivers and have had a shitload of issues. Especially with anything related to an overlay on top of a game (e.g , changing volume via keyboard pops up an overlay which then stutters the video signal. )

No, Nvidia. It's really bizarre, as soon as I launch Steam it kills the signal to the monitor, wtf?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Bloodplay it again posted:

I can't think about the Elite controllers without thinking about the goon who made a post in coupons saying they were on sale for $120 and when I commented about its high price, I was told I should try to design and develop controllers for less than that. Me, a guy with an R&D team and Foxconn contacts to get them produced. You could buy an okay HOTAS or racing setup for the price of one overpriced xbox controller.
I quite want the Elite controller but the build quality issues and the loving internal battery ruin it for me. I really like how it has the paddles and adjustable stick tension but oh well...
Mid tier RC aircraft transmitters have way better build quality with a programmable computer and a display inside them at slightly higher price than Elite controller. How is this possible I have no idea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A good poster posted:

Was it a reaction to Kanna?

Well that was something I shouldn't have googled at work

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

So, what's the go-to controller for pc then? I'm legit asking, I love the bone controller but I already broke the left thumb in one and I'm starting to suspect the A button in the one I got to replace that one is eating inputs from time to time.

I used a ps4 controller for a while between those two, but I never could get it to play 100% nice with everything. I mean, I never had it outright not work, but it would always take a bit of fiddling depending if the game had native support for DS4, if I was playing through Steam, and if DS4Windows was running. Bluetooth was also sketchy but that's probably on me, I also usually play with the controller plugged, so.

It's a really good controller, it loses out to the bone in sheer "just plug it in" value.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

While you're totally right about the PS4 controller battery being garbage, the Xbone controllers have been dropping in quality since release. I get 300 or so hours of use until at least one button has issues. Right now, I have two Bone controllers less than a year old that have faulty A buttons. One has squeaky analog triggers too. 100 presses might register as 90 or they might register as many as 130. They also happen to be the only product in the US somehow only covered by a 90-day warranty instead of the default year so good luck getting them replaced!

I can't think about the Elite controllers without thinking about the goon who made a post in coupons saying they were on sale for $120 and when I commented about its high price, I was told I should try to design and develop controllers for less than that. Me, a guy with an R&D team and Foxconn contacts to get them produced. You could buy an okay HOTAS or racing setup for the price of one overpriced xbox controller. Didn't know the second iteration had an internal battery too. What a poo poo show.

Nintendo, the company who invented the d-pad, sells a controller for $70 with a broken d-pad. Screw these expensive pieces of junk. Madcatz quality, first-party price.

I still have a perfect functional (button wise, cable is broken but works fine with some tape) wired 360 controller. Wireless 360 stick broke like a week after buying, couldn't zero anymore.

1 of 2 new Xone controllers RB1 stopped registering input reliable after around 3 weeks. Quality really is annoying for wireless at least.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

its sad that the xbone controllers have build issues since the 360 wired controllers were nearly perfect. The wire on my ~14 year old 360 controller is having connection problems and would randomly disconnect during games even though it was still plugged in so I was looking to get the whole controller replaced. Much to my surprise, there were tons of reviews mentioning that the Xbone controllers would crap out after only a few months of use.

Now, i kinda dont know what to do. One of my friends actually got me a RockCandy 360 controller, which is perfect except that it does not have rumble. Thinking i might just stick with that and hope that the Series X controllers arent a total crapshoot

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The xbox 360 controller has to have the worst d pad ever made. The rest of the controller is great though.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Tokyo 42 is a fun game , especially in big picture mode

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

No Wave posted:

The xbox 360 controller has to have the worst d pad ever made. The rest of the controller is great though.

It's a thing I never use though. If a game is better with a d-pad, I just use kb/m.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, what's the go-to controller for pc then? I'm legit asking, I love the bone controller but I already broke the left thumb in one and I'm starting to suspect the A button in the one I got to replace that one is eating inputs from time to time.

I used a ps4 controller for a while between those two, but I never could get it to play 100% nice with everything. I mean, I never had it outright not work, but it would always take a bit of fiddling depending if the game had native support for DS4, if I was playing through Steam, and if DS4Windows was running. Bluetooth was also sketchy but that's probably on me, I also usually play with the controller plugged, so.

It's a really good controller, it loses out to the bone in sheer "just plug it in" value.

Probably a new, wired 360 controller even though the d-pad is bad, as others pointed out. I used the same controller for about a decade but have gone through three xbox one controllers since Feb 2015. I've never really liked Dual Shocks and the awful DS4 battery life would remove it from contention anyway. You need a goofy adapter to use 360 controllers wirelessly. I live in a packed apartment building where everyone has 50 wireless devices operating at 2.4 GHz so wireless isn't an option in my case. I can be sitting 4 feet from my computer and it still loses connection constantly.

The first Elite controller didn't have bluetooth ($150, btw) and the newer one seems to share most of the issues with the $50 controllers in terms of broken buttons in addition to an even heftier price tag of $180.

No one needs to be competitive with their controllers anymore so they're gonna continue to be overpriced and low quality. I wouldn't count on PS5 or 2020 Xbox controllers to improve over current offerings. Both of Nintendo's current controllers have issues but maybe they can put together a better Pro controller for release alongside the new Switch later this year.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I have all three revisions of the xbox one controller at this point (bought the 1st ver, 3.5 jack version came with a rift, bought the BT ver 3 as a mobile controller) and they all work fine without any issues..Am I just not playing the right controller destroying genres? I only use em for 3rd person titles

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

zer0spunk posted:

I have all three revisions of the xbox one controller at this point (bought the 1st ver, 3.5 jack version came with a rift, bought the BT ver 3 as a mobile controller) and they all work fine without any issues..Am I just not playing the right controller destroying genres? I only use em for 3rd person titles

Rocket League destroys all controllers

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Wish the PS5 controller was just another PS3 controller. Get rid of that stupid trackpad nobody uses.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Givin posted:

Wish the PS5 controller was just another PS3 controller. Get rid of that stupid trackpad nobody uses.

Hey! I use the stupid trackpad.

Used.

Once.

Cause a game made me.

Yeah alright.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Givin posted:

It doesn't really need the gyros or whatever it has either

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I've been using the dualshock 4 for a couple weeks now. Works great wired, not so much with Bluetooth but that's probably my setup. So far I haven't had any problems getting it to work with either ds4windows or Steam's innate support.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Orv posted:

Hey! I use the stupid trackpad.

Used.

Once.

Cause a game made me.

Yeah alright.
Wait, that big button in the middle of the dualshock is a trackpad? I thought it was just a weird big button.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Wait, that big button in the middle of the dualshock is a trackpad? I thought it was just a weird big button.

The vast majority of games made for PS4 just use it as two more buttons since it can click in to either side as two more buttons. There were a few things near the start of the PS4's lifespan that tried to do more with it but it was quickly realized to be a pointless gimmick. I guess if you wanted to hurt yourself DS4Windows picks it up as your mouse?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The last act transition of Origins is hilarious.
After hours of Natural Born Killers loving their way through revenge murders and accidentally helping people, the story throws a sea battle, a Julius Caesar, two elephants, a chariot chase, and a poo poo ton of historical references at you in the span of one-two hours.

And those loving faces

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Their doing the dreamworks thing

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

zer0spunk posted:

Same, I've been using several of the $50 bluetooth Xbox One controllers on mine and my son's PCs for multiple years with no issues. Played and beat stuff like Hollow Knight and Dark Souls 3, and a few hundred hours of Fortnite and they're holding up fine. The worst issue I ever had was playing Sundered, where it bugged out on saving my controller configuration until I unplugged my HOTAS.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Det_no posted:

I've been using the dualshock 4 for a couple weeks now. Works great wired, not so much with Bluetooth but that's probably my setup. So far I haven't had any problems getting it to work with either ds4windows or Steam's innate support.

yeah i've been using a DS4 for several years. It used to work good over Bluetooth but has recently been making GBS threads the bed with latency and double-inputs (even when I turn steam innate off and use DS4 or visa-versa). which sucks because I like using BT instead of a cable.

maybe it's time to look into a new BT controller

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
I'm a total sucker for a good quality pad and over the years have spent a pretty £ or two on different ones. The Elite 2 is a great controller but I totally understand how the internal battery issue and the lottery on build quality plus ludacris pricing would make it a no go for many punters.

However one controller that I totally love is the Razer Ultimate Wolverine - yes it is wired and is just as expensive as the Elite 2 and comes with gawdy RGB lighting but it just feels right - the paddles are more like on a scuff and are discretely at the back and can be ignored if you wish or used as needed with no magnetic gimmick. The sticks have better tension than standard controllers and the buttons are based on Razer mechanical keyboards and have a very tactile feel (which may put some ppl off). I know Razer....blah blah blah but if you get a chance to try one of these I don't think you'll be disappointed.

P.S I am aware of how many cheesburges I could buy for the price of this controller.... it is most definitely an indulgent-lie-to-the-SO-about-the-real-price purchase.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Givin posted:

The PS3 controller was awful, though. The triggers were super mushy and the convex sticks felt like they were made to have your thumbs slide off them.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The PS3 controller was awful, though. The triggers were super mushy and the convex sticks felt like they were made to have your thumbs slide off them.

Yeah, it was pretty bad to use. I really like the PS4 controller, especially in comparison.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah, it was pretty bad to use. I really like the PS4 controller, especially in comparison.

I’m on my third PS4 controller in three years, but they are waaaay better to use than the PS3.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nintendo, the company who invented the d-pad, sells a controller for $70 with a broken d-pad. Screw these expensive pieces of junk. Madcatz quality, first-party price.

Best thing about it is that apparently the special edition ones have a better d-pad. Nintendo has made some odd decisions with stuff like that and the joycon d-buttons and whatever is causing the stick drift issues.

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Logitech F310 is perfectly fine if you just need a basic controller but is cheap, wired, doesn't have rumble, and has a awful d-pad to rival the 360. After they bought out MadCatz I kinda expected them to do a "F310 Pro" refresh of the design but I guess not.

For other third party controllers that are affordable I've heard that Hori controllers are good, and that the 8Bitdo Sn30 Pro+ is also good.

The Steam controller is well... the Linux of game controllers, as powerful as your time is worthless. Potentially it has great utility but IME you need to spend some time tweaking things even after getting a community profile. Build quality is sub-Logitech, feels a bit cheap and rattley and I'd have been annoyed if I paid full price. It feels a little odd to use due to the concave nature of the trackpads. However it's been discontinued and despite patents for a revision Valve hasn't announced anything new, maybe after the Index has been out for a while.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

C.M. Kruger posted:

and that the 8Bitdo Sn30 Pro+ is also good.

I got this one a few months ago and I love it, though I'm holding off on really raving about it because I've heard some people have the buttons stick on it after awhile. Big highlight for me is that they recreated the SNES d-pad on it, which feels just as great as I remember.

By the way, there are some actual decent Weeklong Deals this week! Big highlights for me are Eastshade, Yuppie Psycho, and the Rusty Lake series (since a new one just released), but there's a ton of good adventures of all kinds discounted right now. I've got a list of recs if you want to save yourself some time.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

maybe i've just got long rear end thumbs or like weird placement issues, but when i push both ps4 sticks together my thumb tips kinda touch each other and that's annoying

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SelenicMartian posted:

The last act transition of Origins is hilarious.
After hours of Natural Born Killers loving their way through revenge murders and accidentally helping people, the story throws a sea battle, a Julius Caesar, two elephants, a chariot chase, and a poo poo ton of historical references at you in the span of one-two hours.

And those loving faces

The Origins thing where they suddenly remember they gotta set up the Asscreed lore at random times during the game is really jarring. I remember jokingly suggest that Bayek would lose a finger by accident when he gets the hidden blade and it would somehow turn into a tradition and whoops, that's exactly how it goes. The Assassins emblem that shows up is just a random shape that got formed when he dropped a skull on the sand. They keep repeating the word "Creed" in the last quarter of the game until it loses all meaning.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Manac0r posted:

I'm a total sucker for a good quality pad and over the years have spent a pretty £ or two on different ones. The Elite 2 is a great controller but I totally understand how the internal battery issue and the lottery on build quality plus ludacris pricing would make it a no go for many punters.

However one controller that I totally love is the Razer Ultimate Wolverine - yes it is wired and is just as expensive as the Elite 2 and comes with gawdy RGB lighting but it just feels right - the paddles are more like on a scuff and are discretely at the back and can be ignored if you wish or used as needed with no magnetic gimmick. The sticks have better tension than standard controllers and the buttons are based on Razer mechanical keyboards and have a very tactile feel (which may put some ppl off). I know Razer....blah blah blah but if you get a chance to try one of these I don't think you'll be disappointed.

P.S I am aware of how many cheesburges I could buy for the price of this controller.... it is most definitely an indulgent-lie-to-the-SO-about-the-real-price purchase.

That link looks sketchy as hell lol. Is that right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

I liked both just fine? What problems did you have?

The few changes I saw, like the new on-foot weapons and SP only recharging on drops, all felt like big changes for the worse, and I really couldn't stand the music.

is Kanna the melon lady

Samuringa posted:

The Origins thing where they suddenly remember they gotta set up the Asscreed lore at random times during the game is really jarring. I remember jokingly suggest that Bayek would lose a finger by accident when he gets the hidden blade and it would somehow turn into a tradition and whoops, that's exactly how it goes. The Assassins emblem that shows up is just a random shape that got formed when he dropped a skull on the sand. They keep repeating the word "Creed" in the last quarter of the game until it loses all meaning.

At least you don't have to go back to the present day. Much.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Crusader Kings II: Imperial Collection is on sale at HB for $237.49

That's ~$3.75 per DLC.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

The Assassins emblem that shows up is just a random shape that got formed when he dropped a skull on the sand. They keep repeating the word "Creed" in the last quarter of the game until it loses all meaning.
I like that bit. Assassins of the centuries to come will rally under the banner of Bayek and Aya's collapsed marriage.
The creed thing gets jarring but let's face it, seeing how the assassins got started was this game's sales pitch. I'm just glad the actual game is 90% being an ancient Egyptian cop doing ancient Egyptian cop business and the occassional political murder and 10% the dumb ancient aliens metaplot.

e: I am currently playing Odyssey and boy does it double down on the magic stuff. Only one mandatory modern world sequence so far, though, so that's good.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 13, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m on my third PS4 controller in three years, but they are waaaay better to use than the PS3.

Strange. I'm on my second controller since I got the console back in like 2013-14ish, and the first one still works well enough, I just dropped it and the shell slightly separated and it gets annoying to hold for long periods. Never had any other issues.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

ShootaBoy posted:

Strange. I'm on my second controller since I got the console back in like 2013-14ish, and the first one still works well enough, I just dropped it and the shell slightly separated and it gets annoying to hold for long periods. Never had any other issues.

Yeah I've had the same PS4 controllers for 5ish years and dropped them both many times and they still work perfectly. I had a ton of trouble with PS3 controllers and often had to open them up to fix a stuck button.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It is very important to note that sometimes in Eastshade, an NPC will ask you to paint them a picture to hang in their house, and then THEY DO IT. They put the picture in their house.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Logitech F310 is perfectly fine if you just need a basic controller but is cheap, wired, doesn't have rumble, and has a awful d-pad to rival the 360. After they bought out MadCatz I kinda expected them to do a "F310 Pro" refresh of the design but I guess not.

F710 is wireless, more hefty and has a completely different - and better - feel to it. I have both and they are like night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

ZearothK posted:

One of us! One of us!

Just beat it on intended difficulty over the weekend. The difficulty spikes aren't too bad - I death spiraled twice I think, including the first play through where I was just loligagging day 1, because gently caress it I can just buy food I know how games work. But if you just accept some folks are gonna die the stress becomes tolerable and engaging.

I got to the end without the deal, although quite a few kiddos died, I didn't build up any schmowders and wasted them on guys that were infected and out of the way to save time running to give them medicine. I also didn't upgrade my brewery enough to output enough serums in time. Also lossed Bad Grief really, really early to some terrible luck. I might give it another go and plan for all of the kids getting infected automatically. I Loved this game and really sad there's some doubt about getting the other two full playthroughs. I'd love to go through again and see the other characters points of view.