Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
She types like I talk when I’m manic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Can someone tell me what the gently caress just happened there? I cannot read that

quote:

My estranged daughter never liked her mother-in-law. When the child (because you can't say "her child," that child is shared property) was born MIL and BIL were not allowed to come to the hospital. After I begged my daughter to let them visit, she let them visit once a week. We were all one big happy family until another disagreement happened. MIL and BIL were cut off for three months even though they had bonded with the baby. MIL, an immigrant from South America who did not understand the repercussions of her actions, reported my daughter to Children's Aid. My daughter was hysterical and then went ballistic. That was nine years ago and MIL has not been a part of the child's life since. The uncle's relationship depends on his behavior. (In an earlier post the poster said that the MIL and BIL have been cut off completely for the past six years)

Fast forward to now. We finally got access to the child through SIL. Since birth we were very hands-on grandparents who were ripped out of the child's life (about four years ago)

We picked up the child at a predetermined date and time. He was different from when we last saw him a year ago. His demeanor was distant, cool , suspicious , mistrustful, angry and sullen where once he would hug and kiss us over and over and cry when we left. He is a year older, but feelings don't change like this in a year.

My husband accidentally mentioned the child's uncle's name. The child said "I don't know anything about my uncle, I haven't seen him in a long time." We then spoke about me, his grandma, and he said "I have another grandma. I don't remember what she looks like but I’m not allowed to see her for years." He became somewhat agitated and exasperated. "Why can't people just get along?"

This child is showing some deep rooted problems. That I'm convinced. One minute he’s happy, then he acts sad . One minute he’s cuddling, next minute he’s distant. His grandfather was once his hero in every sense; now the child is completely disconnected. We know he’s heard some pretty negative and petty things about his grandfather as our estranged daughter and Son-in-Law despise him. Here was a child who moved his chair and his placemat tight to his granddad at the dining table , a child that mimicked his grandfather's mannerisms , a child who followed him around like a puppy with adoring eyes, changed to a child who is now disconnected.

I want to tell the parents to stop demonizing the grandfather in front of the child as they had done so openly with the other grandma and uncle. The child blurts out the disrespectful comments made by his parents directed towards my husband. There just too much he’s told us, unprompted by us that a child would conjure up on his own. (She's very loud about how she didn't ask her grandson anything, so she probably did.) He’s had behavioral issues since a toddler and is an overly indulged child whose parents parenting style is to buy gifts but not give him the basics. She has not been in touch with her daughter for some time so it is unclear where she got this. I see clearly a damaged child in the making. I consider what his parents do to border on abuse . They do not have the self awareness to see what they are doing. Both SIL and estranged daughter enjoyed happy, healthy relationships with their grandparents well into adulthood, but they are denying their child the same.

To start, I want them to stop demonizing my husband and me. Our daughter has blocked us so we have no way to contact her (does the mother know her son is seeing his grandparents?), so I only have contact with the SIL, who does not take me seriously. The parents scoffed at advice from two different child psychologists (or maybe they refused to take their child to these psychologists. This part was completely incomprehensible) so how can I, a simple mother and grandmother, put a stop to this without it leading to another complete alienation and punishment which will cause any more damage? I want my grandchild to look at his Granddad with that love in his face that used to be there. I don't want to see suspicion and mistrust on his sweet face again. I want that gone. What can I do to heal him? I'm truly alarmed at what I seen in a child after a years alienation.

tl;dr: woman is upset that a nine-year-old who hasn't seen her for a year doesn't want to cuddle or worship her husband who screamed at people last time they saw each other:

quote:

It all came to a head when we invited them to stay two days over Christmas . We were overjoyed has it was our first Xmas for. two years . From the start our grandchild's behavior was out of control . Over excited, over indulged. It was at its worst when his parents were there. He was obnoxious, rude to our other guest, . There was no end to it.until we payed a movie. Second day , epic tantrum resulting in him slamming the Bedroom door so hard in our brand new house. It literally cracked the door facing from top to bottom. Our daughter just laughed , our son in law later apologized. My already over stressed to the max husband lost it and yelled at our daughter saying “Can’t you parent your child any better than this”? The already tenuous Truce was completely severed by those words. She left abruptly in tears , my husband deeply ashamed of himself , deeply regretting his actions apologized to our son in law has he was gathering up all belongings to make calls hasty retreat. His apologies was accepted. My husbands only recourse to apologize to husband daughter was done via text. Husband text was full of humility, showing deep regret and telling her he loved her. You add this getting yelled at with unresolved issues , his apology was never acknowledged much less accepted . The visible pain of this rejection was so apparent and it took its toll on him. He knew now that any hopes of lasting reconciliation is gone due to his lacking in coping mechanisms.

ETA:

purple death ray posted:

quote:

eyes sag, face will droop, hair thins, dick drops, hands wrinkle, their kids dump them, moms spaghetti
Oh my God

And do they realize that this is going to happen no matter what? Do they think having your parents in your life will make it easier? gently caress it, I know they're not thinking.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

An overstimulated eight-year-old had a tantrum? On Christmas, the national day of child overstimulation?! And then a year later, he acted like a person with his own mind rather than a story-book perfect toddler? BROKEN CHILD

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It's like these wanna-be grandparents don't understand that they're supposed to be the adults. Yeah, kids are gonna act up and behave badly, they're hormonal sacks of energy. And yeah, sometimes even parents will lose their cool, they're still human. But you don't hold the kid responsible for it. You're still the grown up in the room. You don't get to vilify the child for being a child, and you don't get to tell them how to feel about the grown-up that yelled at mom. Eight is old enough to understand what their grandfather meant and that mom was being yelled at because of their behavior, and that probably screwed with his opinion of granddad more than anything mom or dad could have said. Kids might be naive and ignorant about the world, but they aren't stupid and they understand the concept of hypocrisy long before they can even spell or pronounce the word.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Can someone tell me what the gently caress just happened there? I cannot read that

typing with tears running down her face, or, mom got her refill of xanax

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OMFG FURRY posted:

typing with tears running down her face, or, mom got her refill of xanax

Typing
With tears in my eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQWUZ8a2Ho

Balogna Head
Oct 3, 2013

I'm starting to worry that farts may never not be hilarious.

Rockbear posted:

I didn't invalidate his feelings. I acknowledged them and apologized for upsetting him.

However, I also offered context and guidance because misfires of this magnitude need to be addressed. They're maladaptive. It's my job to teach him how to navigate the world to the best of my ability. Freaking out over harmless small talk is not a particularly helpful habit, personally or professionally.

Rockbear you sound like a really good parent, doing the work to raise a well-adjusted human. I have a good relationship with my folks and a mostly positive memory of my childhood, but if I had a freakout like that my folks definitely would have hissed at me to stop crying and also stop being ridiculous. Although I think by 12 I wouldn't have let them see me crying. I had already internalized that crying is something you do alone in the bathroom (bedroom not safe, someone might "catch" you), and definitely never in front of parents, loved ones or friends.

I'm in my mid-30s and consciously trying to disabuse myself of that notion, but still won't cry in front of my folks or husband.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It's like these wanna-be grandparents don't understand that they're supposed to be the adults. Yeah, kids are gonna act up and behave badly, they're hormonal sacks of energy. And yeah, sometimes even parents will lose their cool, they're still human. But you don't hold the kid responsible for it. You're still the grown up in the room. You don't get to vilify the child for being a child, and you don't get to tell them how to feel about the grown-up that yelled at mom. Eight is old enough to understand what their grandfather meant and that mom was being yelled at because of their behavior, and that probably screwed with his opinion of granddad more than anything mom or dad could have said. Kids might be naive and ignorant about the world, but they aren't stupid and they understand the concept of hypocrisy long before they can even spell or pronounce the word.
What astonishes me is that she basically said she wants this child to worship them. That's what she wants, and if the kid doesn't do it, then not only is he "broken," but it actually hurts her. Earlier in this thread I think I talked about not understanding why grandparents are so obsessed with their grandchildren, and that's probably it- children do what you want. Ugh.

Balogna Head posted:

Rockbear you sound like a really good parent, doing the work to raise a well-adjusted human.
Yeah, reading this is a heartwarming way to end the year.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Hello, I’m new here and have been reading topics hoping my situation doesn’t end up like some of these tragic stories. I was trying to see what started the estrangement for other parents but I haven’t found much. I am on a timeclock as my DIL is pregnant with my first grandchild due in April and I can’t bear the thought of not being involved.

For background, I am married for 34 years with two sons. Son 1 is gay and has a partner, doesn’t plan on having kids, no issues there except right now he’s siding with his brother and telling me I am wrong. I was thrilled when Son 2 began dating DIL. You see, DILs mother has been my friend since our older sons were in school together. I watched DIL grow up. Son 2 began dating her after moving back to our area after college.

Up until recently life has been a dream. I always wanted a daughter. DIL, her mother, and I would have a girls brunch or lunch. She took me wedding dress shopping with her and her mother. She even included me in getting ready on their wedding day. She was open about trying to get pregnant, and she and Son 2 told both sets of parents about this pregnancy at the same time. We were all over the moon. First grandchild on both sides.

DIL and Son 2 did a small gender reveal with just us grandparents, their brothers and some aunts, uncles and cousins. I suppose this is where the issues started. DIL popped a baloon and pink confetti came out, a girl! I was thrilled. I yelled something like “I finally get my girl!” And I hugged Son 2. Looking back at the recording of that day DIL was hugging Son 2 and I may have broken up their hug when I hugged him. She was cold to me the rest of the day but I didn’t realize why until Son 2 called me the next day and sent me the recording telling me DIL was upset because “you made the moment all about you and you acted like you are getting a baby girl and DIL doesn’t matter.”

Frankly, I think she was reading too much into it and was over sensitive but I love her and did not mean to make her feel bad so I apologized and she seemed to accept. Things went on as normal for another month or so. When I asked about plans for granddaughters birth I was told the hospital and due date, and DIL said they would text to let us know she was in labor and then again when baby was there and let us know when they were ready for visitors. Well, that surprised me because I assumed I would be there to meet granddaughter. I Asked about being in the delivery room and DIL informed me she would not “feel comfortable” with anyone besides Son 2 and her mother there.

I was floored. I would not be allowed to watch my granddaughter come into the world but DILs mother – my friend, would be! I was very upset and told Son 2 and DIL that this was not fair, I asked them if I had done anything to upset them or if this was punishment for my perceived bad behavior at the gender reveal. They insisted that they were not upset about anything this is just what DIL wants for her labor. I kept pushing and she stated that she will be in a state of undress and in pain and women often have bowel movements while in labor etc. I told her I had seen it all and done it all not to worry. This is when I could sense Son 2 and DIL getting angry with me. They said it was not about me, but about what she is comfortable with and this was not negotiable. I began to cry and say this wasn’t fair. They said I wouldn’t be less of a grandmother just because I didn’t get to watch granddaughter be born. But it’s not the point. I do not have a daughter, I will never get this experience. Son 2 snapped and said I was being selfish and they were leaving. My husband was not home during this discussion but when I told him he sided with THEM!

I called my friend, DILs mom to get her to see my side. She was dismissive of me as well and said it’s about what DIL wants she’s the one going through the experience and that her being in the room was not about watching the baby born, it was to support her daughter through a difficult experience.

I talked to some other grandma friends of mine and they took my side. So I texted Son and DIL to let them know that. They did not respond. I called the next day to get them to see my perspective and Son snapped at me and told me to stop harassing him and stop being selfish and that my wants as a grandma do not get to override my DILs wants as a mother. DIL was more calm and polite but repeated what my son said and she told me I was making her feel like an incubator for the baby girl I wanted but never had. I told them that babies are about bringing family together not excluding people. Son said this conversation is over and hung up.

This was a few weeks ago and I tried calling several times since then but no answer. Son texted me and said that he loves me but that I owe him and DIL an apology for being selfish and trying to push what I want onto them. I feel that I don’t owe them an apology for stating my feelings. They still won’t take my calls. Friend/DILs mother says this is between them and me and she is not getting involved. My husband and Son1 think that I went “hysterical” and I should apologize and try to repair things before granddaughter is born.

Am I in the wrong?

The others posters agreed that she was.

Forums Moderator posted:

Everyone,

I am glad to hear all the responses here. When (person) first posted, my initial thought was that her situation is not like others here. (Person) sees a clear connection to her own behavior and the son and d-i-l’s response. She said she’d been reading the stories here and didn’t see anyone noting the reason for estrangement. Then she posted a very over the top accounting of her own behavior.

One of the things those internet estranged parent “haters” says is that on this forum, no parents ever correct other parents.

We’ll, this thread certainly disproves that.

(Person), if you’re for real, I hope you will take the replies seriously. If you’re some sort of “mole,” the theory that we’re all a bunch of freaks who validate one another’s bad behavior is disproved. We’re just regular, discerning people who have done our best to be kind, caring parents.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

trickybiscuits posted:

The others posters agreed that she was.

I'm fairly stunned, since "I demand to be in the room for the birth and they won't let me reeeeeee" has come up before and the estranged parents have commisserated on the cruelty and unfairness of it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I feel for that poor little girl as she has to deal with one grandma constantly begging for her love and attention, (and probably forcing her to be the pretty pretty princess doll she always wanted in a little girl), whilst at the same time trying to put down her mum, dad, and other grandma for being "selfish".

Coz this woman will never forget that she wasn't in the room when her granddaughter was born, and I am guessing will bring up this "unimaginable slight" every chance she gets in the future.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Upstaging a pregnant woman at her party celebrating said pregnancy upset her? Truly, DIL’s reaction is baffling!

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wanting to be there for a birth is one of those crazy grandma things that I do not get, at all. I get wanting to meet the baby soon after it is born, but birth is bloody and messy and painful. Like if my daughter wanted me there when she was giving birth to support her, I would go support her, but to be honest I'd rather not watch her go through that. I always wonder if these crazy grandmas think babies imprint on the first person they see, like ducklings. My MIL made noises about wanting to be there when I gave birth, so I asked her if she had her mother-in-law in the room when she gave birth. She laughed and was like "Of course not," but then she never brought it up again.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Dienes posted:

I'm fairly stunned, since "I demand to be in the room for the birth and they won't let me reeeeeee" has come up before and the estranged parents have commisserated on the cruelty and unfairness of it.

If you look at it, it reads differently from the other posts on that forum. It's really cleanly written, and while the writer still comes off as a narcissist, she clearly outlines her DIL's perspective. There's no gaslighting or missing details. The backstory moves cleanly from point A to point B. I would bet Sheri McGregor wrote it for the purpose of pointing it out and saying, "See? We do call out bad behavior."

I also think it's weird other posters were calling out this person. These narcissists only read other posts long enough to agree, fake some sympathy, and then using whatever post as a springboard to whine some more about their own lives.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 14, 2020

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

AuntBuck posted:

I would bet Sheri McGregor wrote it for the purpose of pointing it out and saying, "See? We do call out bad behavior."
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who thought that!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The difference in structure between that last account and pretty much every single other one is extremely obvious - it reads like a carefully constructed story - no jumping around in time, no confusion of who did what, no oddly blurry sections where the writer 'forgets' exactly what happened to cause the estrangement.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pvt.Scott posted:

Upstaging a pregnant woman at her party celebrating said pregnancy upset her? Truly, DIL’s reaction is baffling!

I finally get MY girl!! ME

Pookah posted:

The difference in structure between that last account and pretty much every single other one is extremely obvious - it reads like a carefully constructed story - no jumping around in time, no confusion of who did what, no oddly blurry sections where the writer 'forgets' exactly what happened to cause the estrangement.

just because it's coherent doesn't mean it's fake, that person isn't even truly estranged yet so maybe the brain worms have yet to set in

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Play posted:

just because it's coherent doesn't mean it's fake, that person isn't even truly estranged yet so maybe the brain worms have yet to set in

It reminds me of this letter or this post.

It's really interesting that "you know why your dil and son are mad at you" is a reason why they don't sympathize with her. It's like a response to Issendai's Missing Missing Reasons. Emotion creates reality and all that. Meanwhile the woman who slapped her younger adult son and then had her contact limited with her older son's young children was flipping out and she got sympathy.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Way earlier in this thread (I think. Might've been Issendai)there was a post that fundamentally boiled down to "my daughter in law who had a miscarriage is cutting me out of her life. Can't she see how much that hurts me, the person who lost their grandchild to a miscarriage?"

Upstaging is just the name of the game to these people.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
"I was floored. I would not be allowed to watch my granddaughter come into the world but DILs mother – my friend, would be! I was very upset and told Son 2 and DIL that this was not fair, I asked them if I had done anything to upset them or if this was punishment for my perceived bad behavior at the gender reveal. They insisted that they were not upset about anything this is just what DIL wants for her labor. I kept pushing and she stated that she will be in a state of undress and in pain and women often have bowel movements while in labor etc. I told her I had seen it all and done it all not to worry. This is when I could sense Son 2 and DIL getting angry with me. They said it was not about me, but about what she is comfortable with and this was not negotiable. I began to cry and say this wasn’t fair. They said I wouldn’t be less of a grandmother just because I didn’t get to watch granddaughter be born. But it’s not the point. I do not have a daughter, I will never get this experience. Son 2 snapped and said I was being selfish and they were leaving. My husband was not home during this discussion but when I told him he sided with THEM!

I called my friend, DILs mom to get her to see my side. She was dismissive of me as well and said it’s about what DIL wants she’s the one going through the experience and that her being in the room was not about watching the baby born, it was to support her daughter through a difficult experience.

I talked to some other grandma friends of mine and they took my side. So I texted Son and DIL to let them know that. They did not respond. I called the next day to get them to see my perspective and Son snapped at me and told me to stop harassing him and stop being selfish and that my wants as a grandma do not get to override my DILs wants as a mother. DIL was more calm and polite but repeated what my son said and she told me I was making her feel like an incubator for the baby girl I wanted but never had. I told them that babies are about bringing family together not excluding people. Son said this conversation is over and hung up.

This was a few weeks ago and I tried calling several times since then but no answer. Son texted me and said that he loves me but that I owe him and DIL an apology for being selfish and trying to push what I want onto them. I feel that I don’t owe them an apology for stating my feelings."

-----------------------------

This lady (assuming it's not just a fake post) is so loving clueless it's frustrating. She's often pointing out exactly why what she did was stupid and disrespectful but then being upset about her kid's reaction nonetheless. She can't get anyone to agree with her, so she hunts down some people to give very little detail to and strengthen only her side of the story, followed by loving bragging about finding someone who agreed with her finally. Not to mention she's crying like a toddler about how "unfair" it all is. She offers some bullshit platitude about bringing family together but then refuses to apologize despite everyone telling her she's wrong.

Jesus Christ. So many points in favor of it being fake actually. But unfortunately I know firsthand that grown rear end adults act like this.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
The biggest tell that this might be fake is how detailed the account of the son and DIL's retorts are. Usually is a vague "They wouldn't listen and just ATTACKED me calling me SELFISH to want to be there for my GRANDCHILD as if that's selfish" or "They snapped at me and refused to understand."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Play posted:

I'm going with this, it's a future estranged MIL caught in amber just before the narcissism calcifies her brain.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I think it's fake. It doesn't read like a regular narcissist's post. Narcissists know what they're doing is wrong. They know they're hurting their friends and families. They don't care. They just want to look like good people. That's why many of them have these gaping holes in their stories. They're avoiding talking about what they've done. Some are better at this than others. And then we have Sheri McGregor who wrote an entire book painting herself as the blameless victim of her son and her daughter-in-law.

It could also be a real post, and this could just be this person's one issue. Maybe they're a little blind to their behavior out of excitement of finally having a little girl in the family. If they're not a real narcissist, that might explain why these other irate boomers are eagerly throwing her under the bus and claiming to suddenly be able to see their own flaws.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

AuntBuck posted:

I think it's fake. It doesn't read like a regular narcissist's post. Narcissists know what they're doing is wrong. They know they're hurting their friends and families. They don't care. They just want to look like good people. That's why many of them have these gaping holes in their stories. They're avoiding talking about what they've done. Some are better at this than others. And then we have Sheri McGregor who wrote an entire book painting herself as the blameless victim of her son and her daughter-in-law.

It could also be a real post, and this could just be this person's one issue. Maybe they're a little blind to their behavior out of excitement of finally having a little girl in the family. If they're not a real narcissist, that might explain why these other irate boomers are eagerly throwing her under the bus and claiming to suddenly be able to see their own flaws.

Yeah could be, no way to know. All I know is that I have absolutely met and interacted with people as clueless as this lady before. She uses her emotions to grant herself a free reign on lovely behavior and legitimately cannot see or understand the other side's position. Also when everyone was telling her she was wrong she went out and found some other old biddies who would agree with her so that she could use that as reason to send some dumb text. It's fake-ish, but at the same time real-seeming.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

My mom would absolutely go hunting for someone to take her side and then text me to let me know. That part is very believable.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
People placing inordinate weight on the fact their friends agreed with them when they told the story is absolutely a thing, and not just a narcissist thing either.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grimdude posted:

My mom would absolutely go hunting for someone to take her side and then text me to let me know. That part is very believable.

Forgive me if this is a rude or overly personal question.

But what response was she hoping to get from you when she texts you a "I asked several people you don't know, and they say I am right and you are wrong. HaHa."

Are you supposed to feel defeated that other people took your mum's side? Are you supposed to go, "well if other people agree with you, then I will concede that I am wrong and you are right. (like always.)"? Something else?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
My own biological mother would do that for the purposes of seeking validation, talking poo poo about her kids to other people, and wanting us to know it.

To someone always so obsessed with keeping up appearances, I guess talking poo poo about us to other people was the ultimate comeuppance in her mind.

We of course couldn't care less.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

My own biological mother would do that for the purposes of seeking validation, talking poo poo about her kids to other people, and wanting us to know it.

To someone always so obsessed with keeping up appearances, I guess talking poo poo about us to other people was the ultimate comeuppance in her mind.

We of course couldn't care less.

It's appearance. My mom and her mom are the exact same when it comes to this. None of their kids really like talking to them, so when they talk to others about their kids they want to be sympathized with and therefore bend the truth a LOT.

My mom would often describe her mom as "people who see her casually from time to time or just meet her think she's incredible, amazing, nice, sweet etc. But people like her actual family who KNOW her don't get that side."

I don't know if she'd say that now, since she's adopted the exact same personality traits with age.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Grimdude posted:

I don't know if she'd say that now, since she's adopted the exact same personality traits with age.

Same thing with my biological mother from what I've heard. She just... became her own mother.

Which causes me no end of anxiety that I'll inevitably end up like her despite my best efforts to be nothing like them. I'm not naive enough to believe there is some genetic predisposition to women in our family ending up as bitter angry old women, but I'm also acutely aware that trauma in ones upbringing can be insidious and influential in unforeseen well into adulthood if one isn't constantly checking themselves.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Grimdude posted:

It's appearance. My mom and her mom are the exact same when it comes to this. None of their kids really like talking to them, so when they talk to others about their kids they want to be sympathized with and therefore bend the truth a LOT.

My mom would often describe her mom as "people who see her casually from time to time or just meet her think she's incredible, amazing, nice, sweet etc. But people like her actual family who KNOW her don't get that side."

Almost like a description of my mother. Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to her.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

To an extend, I think it's also a kinda weird backlash from the Spotlight Effect run amuck. They assume everyone is watching and judging them all the time (My mother, who once insisted I lug a bag of trash through the house rather than use the front door because "we aren't hillbillies" being an example), so when someone agrees with them, they assume that it has the same devastating effect on you that someone agreeing with or judging you would have on them.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Same thing with my biological mother from what I've heard. She just... became her own mother.

Which causes me no end of anxiety that I'll inevitably end up like her despite my best efforts to be nothing like them. I'm not naive enough to believe there is some genetic predisposition to women in our family ending up as bitter angry old women, but I'm also acutely aware that trauma in ones upbringing can be insidious and influential in unforeseen well into adulthood if one isn't constantly checking themselves.

Boy ain't that the truth.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I’d like to turn out like my parents because then I’d be a doctor, carpenter, musician, artist or traditional housewife, coupled with having a stable and satisfying relationship. I’m over here failson-ing like a champ due to faulty brainmeats and personal foibles.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

You had five good parents and still couldn't make a go of it. Shame.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Captain Awkward and commenters have written some good things recently about dealing with parents/family members.

Anyway, here's 2000+ words

quote:

First of all, I want to express my gratitude for the great work done in this website, made by an unfortunately also rejected mother. And for all the testimonies left here by so many other rejected mothers I have found this website by destiny, in the early days of this new decade, in a very sad time when I was alone in my despair. I always wanted to be a mother until recently. What did I made so wrong was my first doubt. Certainly I am not perfect but my intensions were never egoistic but ambitious , I just wanted the best life thought continual focus and hard work for me and for my children. To much love, to much attention to them, to much dedication and now nothing. My own dream was to construct a family like the mosque tiers one for the others, but I found me giving and not receiving equally the love or emotional support given and I was just waiting for something that was not going to arrive. So the true is that the others even our children are a kind of strangers, that do not go to assure us the happiness that we have to find it inside of us. I am a single European mother that raised 3 children alone, a boy with 18 , a girl with 20, and the oldest with 23 . I was 18 years married (I think 10 years ago. Normally I do not think about it, so I forget when it was ). I choose wrongly my ex-husband was a drunk, a cheater, beat me , and leave me with the children some nights until early hours of the morning, without never telling me where he was. I understood finally that he was not going to change and that my life was a living hell. I decide then that was enough of my own suffer and let he go with another woman. In revenge he and his new wife, decided to leave me and my children nothing and the father did not help from that date, with any money, did not paid a single bill. But they kept sent messages to the children, trying to turn them against me. I have no other person in the world , than my children. I was raised by my grandmother that died, my mother was never present. From early age I had count with my grandmother and then only with myself. I was introverted and feel uncomfortable with other persons, inclusive other members of the family that I lost contact. But I always tried to move on. With my 20’s/30’s I was fully dedicated to make work my trouble marriage. Then in my 40’s to feed my children. I totally concentrate myself in getting money with dignity, to assure all bills were paid, such as doctors, food, and roof. I did not try to find another man as for me man is equal to troubles. I did not spend any money that was not with my children. From the divorce I told my children that was not the end of the world, as I trusted our own capacity, but that they need to well behave, wake up early , go to bed early and let me have quietness to think in the solutions. They never comply with it and things were more difficult to me because of it. I told them that they also should had their own responsibilities, such as studies, cleaning their rooms, plates in the kitchen etc, for things to work between us. I am a kind of OCD, I like everything in the right place to be able to function in my full potential, with little children that was a constant motif of disturbance. I am also more rational that emotional, and I do not like to waist more time that I lost when I was young, I do not like to keep on speaking about feelings and other things that do not put a plate of food in the table. Now I need to do it. I had changed country with my children, for them to have better opportunities. I get them always at schools and the oldest are now in Law Universities. I tried them to avoid bad things . I also tried to avoid bad things for myself to give them the example. I create an Events Company where I could take care of my children, being more at home when they were in school for me and them to be able to part time work and they could study at the same time. I pass the last 5 years working in the back office of the company that I create, making the follow up of sales, closing of contracts, organising the requests of the clients, making the payments of the salaries etc. The “children” grow up and were in school, or working in sales and dealing personally with the clients in the venues ( as I professionally trained them ). Our company grow up, and we begin to have money to frequent travelling, get a better apartment, go to restaurants etc .But something went terribly wrong . To legal protect any assets and give responsibilities and work ethic to them, I wrongly passed the Directorship of the company to the oldest one. I also unfortunately passed the ownership of a flat that I had, to the three of them. Soon I began to notice that the oldest one did not wanted to talk about the company, was never the right time for me to talk about it .Was never at home to live a family life. Did not support their brothers or me except when working. I thought was because she was young but with the time get worst. After school she wanted to take selfies and go out and she could (I always gave them money to go out, and enjoy themselves, expecting more commitment on the other days that never come ) I told her that she had to have the mind in the family and in the business, when she was not studding or hanging out, as that was the price to be paid for our good life. But she devaluated continuously what we get and what I get to them and she was always complaining and just treating work to do as a hobby , appearing once in a while and saying for me to work . Brothers begin to repeat the same mantra . She said that she knew my role as senior adviser of the company , that she love me deeply, but as passive aggressive she tried to insist in driving the family and the company to a way, that was not my vision. If I said the website should be yellow in the days that she worked in the office, she made her brother and sister, made it green etc. If I said to sleep at 11 pm she slept at 3am. The discussions began to escalate between us. Whenthey were suppose to be more driven and grown up, their personal life continuously to interfere . The oldest girl begin from no dating , to continually dating ( for me ) wrong guys that made a suffer and did not gave her a respectful life and thinking and suffering about them , in the other days of the month. My middle daughter wanted to make the same. The thing was she wanted to lose the virginity with the anyone (?) . I saw all that bad choices with horror, as it was me that was keep on paying the gross bills, and I was furioso that they did not took the responsibility to choose a good man , but if I gave my opinion they said I was controlling them . I was afraid to give them my opinion as in the moment they said of course and in the following days they do not work in the company and treat me bad. Each time that we went in a new country the oldest was thinking in a boy and texting him in the mobile , without being present and helpful and enjoy. Unfortunately, when the life style improved, the relationship between me and my children get worse. My oldest rebel I felt in a passive aggressive way, she did not follow orientations despite I tried several civilised conversations. When the behaviour repeated and our bills were there to be paid, she blamed and give me the responsability me and never to her. I tried yelling but it was worse. The oldest begin to broke things at home or in hotels and the youngest follow the behaviour. Last but not least I tried to spend the Christmas with them, but the oldest did not make an effort to go out from bed, did not tried to make family life, she was just in her own world . The last boy told her he would not present her to the family in the Christmas, but she kept with him. That is why I felt I was not important and someone a stranger was more important for her. I went on a shop on the 31.12.2019 I bought boots for the girls and new bed clothes for the house and try to get a better vibe. I told them to go out on the 31.12 with their friends for the NYE and I staid in house to save expenses. But on the 01.01.2020 the oldest stayed in the bed until 3 pm, did not helped in the house, did not make an effort to be helpful r present in a family lunch. I asked her to and she told me that she was tired and had to study. I just get so upset that I screamed that was enough. Then I wanted to take back the new things that I have paid to the house, around 300 USD . She did not let me, she spit in my face she said that I was nothing, that I had no value, that was going to be alone , that she despite me. She showed her true character. Then she decided to enter my bedroom and she was there for hours broking my things . She trought to the floor my food, she took my mobile from me to avoid that I was able to take pictures or call the police. Finally she just stop healing with me, when I took a knife or something else to defend myself and to be able to pass , as I was so afraid that she was going to beat me. Was worst she then began to victimize herself, and begun to say that I had tried to kill her, her sister repeated the lie. They said that I was mentally ill. I passed the first day of the year putting my clothes back, cleaning my room, and I was left without food. On the other day, she and the other two of my “children” begin to harass me by text messages , if I did not say sorry to the oldest they were not going to speak with me anymore. I told them that my problems with the oldest, were not for them to decide for me what to do. But then they said that I was out of the company, with immediate effects because “ I tried to kill the oldest one , went on my room, and “the house” was not an hotel “ I begin to keep on with my own life, trying to find the strength to make it in myself, but on the 05.01.2020 , the three begin to yield outside the door of my room at 10 am. I had come from street and I began to feel very anxious and afraid , they were yelling for me to give them immediately things such as my company bank cards, or their European ID that I had made for them and that I did not knew where it was at the time, as I was organising the mess in my room of my past years of life. I told them that I was going to look for it and what I find I would leave outside the room, but they continue to yield outside my bedroom door. I had to call the police. Resuming the police come and they lie to the police ,again with the story that I wanted to kill the oldest and they were angels. After the police turned away they text me they wanted to speak with me. I choose to hear, but to meet them on a public space, in the shopping. They yield and yield and accuse and accused ,telling me that “I had broken their trust” in calling the police, how I could do that etc, that all the fault of their problems were mine etc. In the end they asked me to keep working submitted to the oldest as Director and that I should paid for my own salary. They do not wanted to pay me a salary but they wanted me to work…. Also that I had to give them all the money that I got, for living in the house as that “was their money” and they were my children. They told me that they would “help” me, if anytime I need it.I said I did not wanted charity. In the meantime, they wanted to let me with no money at all. I told them that I had left them with half of the profits of the company as I always said, with the paperwork related to the help of the government as students, also as students they should find easily a work in part-time . But that I was not going to be submitted to an ungrateful child as my director, in a company that was not orientated by me, and regarding daily life I was not going to give them all my money as if they wanted to live the life as they wanted, they would have to take their responsibility with the respective bills. They did not wanted to divide the following rent and bills in equal parts by 4 adults that I thought was the fair to do from the situation, and discussions were made. They wanted that I paid half, I refused. We finally agree ( just because I do not have a better option) for me to stay in my room, paying them the price that any stranger take $600 plus bills. If I cannot pay, the little angels say I cannot stay. So this is my situation, I try to be optimistic, but I found a lot of difficulties of being alone, with 53 years. The effort made in this past years raising the children it is= zero in my CV. The experience in the company depend of the the reference given by its director ( my dear old child ) = zero. I am moving myself trying to escape from misery and maybe achieve a better life, I had create a new company, but I am not sure about the business that can initiate alone . Maybe cleaning I am thinking. Jobs ask for “friends references” and I have none as was not my priority and I did not needed before. I am making what I can for myself, but it is very sad and hard to avoid depression . I am trying to keep me active. I had applied for a volunteer work this past week , I got it and I started today. They liked it and want that I keep on. Was difficult to explain to my “new boss” without telling the sad story , that I did not have references or “friends” . Despite the job advertise that the volunteer work was good to make friends, so if I had it before I did not need to work without payment, right . I try to be optimistic but now I can move myself , it’s difficult but I hope I think I can find paid work, but in 10 or 20 years…me an old woman, without the house that I transfer to my children name, what can I do for myself, that will assure that I will be well, despite alone ? Regarding to my old company well that is frozen, as the oldest one is spending the nights with the boyfriend. And I am afraid that when the rent bill come, they do not have money to pay for it and blame me and make me pay more. It is so sad, but I do not trust them anymore, neither think they have a good character so I if I could I was not renting this room and I was renting from strangers ( also a bad option )

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I always wondered what it would look like if Gene Ray, Cubic got into the meth.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

‘mosque tiers’ is a new one.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

‘mosque tiers’ is a new one.

I only just figured out what she meant by that :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why would you sign over your company to someone no more than 23? The home too. I guess if you wanted to secure assets in case of emergency or death you could make them partners, but just signing over everything you own is hella weird.