Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Find the cat poo poo's resonant frequency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cat poo poo adds warmth.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
This reminds me of the guy I work with who's got a serval, and the cat apparently got bored and decided he loved the sound of his own voice.

So he found a corner that sounded particularly nice, and would howl into it for hours at a time.

Coworker stuffed the corner with sound treatment foam panels, so the cat went from wall to wall until he found another good echo spot, and went back to howling at himself.

Now, every corner in his house is full of foam, and he's built a whole outdoor enclosure for the cat to play in so he's less bored. :3:

I should ask him if all the foam dampers have improved the overall acoustics of his house...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This reminds me of the guy I work with who's got a serval, and the cat apparently got bored and decided he loved the sound of his own voice.

So he found a corner that sounded particularly nice, and would howl into it for hours at a time.

Coworker stuffed the corner with sound treatment foam panels, so the cat went from wall to wall until he found another good echo spot, and went back to howling at himself.

Now, every corner in his house is full of foam, and he's built a whole outdoor enclosure for the cat to play in so he's less bored. :3:

I should ask him if all the foam dampers have improved the overall acoustics of his house...

Servals are super hard to keep entertained. They're too smart to be pets. :(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

KillHour posted:

Servals are super hard to keep entertained. They're too smart to be pets. :(

Yeah, the outdoor enclosure ended up being what kept his serval from going insane, but dude's got property and resources for that sort of thing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

taqueso posted:

Find the cat poo poo's resonant frequency

I don't usually think of quotes as thread titles but this is a pretty good one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

God drat! That is a lot of caps.
That all reads like a bunch of audiophile mumbo jumbo but the fact of the matter is that he's not particularly incorrect.
Capacitors in the signal path affect sound. That's why they're part of passive speaker crossovers.

Different capacitors affect sound differently, but that's mostly attributable to the caps values or type of cap.

I'm just happy to know that some dork with far too much spare time in their relatively short life reviewed the caps I have in my speakers well (Jensen, if you're wondering).

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

I don't usually think of quotes as thread titles but this is a pretty good one.

Yeah, let's change the thread title! It's been the same for years!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Just over ten years in fact. The mod challenge was completed in November 2009

Gurz
Sep 9, 2000
THE 12" DILDO IN MY ASS IS ONLY A PLACEHOLDER FOR PULSATING HOT COCKS

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, let's change the thread title! It's been the same for years!

yeah, I'd like to, but how? Do I need a mod?

-Gurz
Residential Hazard Marker

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i think twitter has been reading my SA history because I got this as a promoted tweet yesterday :tinfoil:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That would be a lot less lame if it was a mixing studio or something. Also if the guy who posted it wasn't the guy who owns it and also didn't name it after himself.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gurz posted:

yeah, I'd like to, but how? Do I need a mod?

-Gurz
Residential Hazard Marker

Yeah, PM or email a mod. They're happy to take care of it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

150 tweeters is a LOT of tweeters... Non-parralel walls, surfaces that absorb/refract sound and indirect surrounds though? Sick.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Yeah, PM or email a mod. They're happy to take care of it.

Bless

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
that's the good poo poo

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Bluetooth LC3 is the poo poo, tried it at CES

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Jascum posted:

Just searched google for what to fill speaker stands with and there’s some funny stuff about resonances with different fill material. Apparently, if you put a stethoscope up to the speaker stand you can measure for resonances or some such poo poo.

Stuff like this is fun because it takes something totally reasonable (we’re really sensitive to resonances and should try to minimize them) and turns it into a weird voodoo thing.

Like it would actually be neat to see accelerometer data from different fill material, as well as legit blind testing to see if it made any real world difference. But he people arguing about these things online tend not to be interested in actual research and answers.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hell yeah.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Bluetooth LC3 is the poo poo, tried it at CES

More info please.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/bluetooth-le-audio-will-bring-multi-stream-audio-to-next-generation-of-devices/

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Stuff like this is fun because it takes something totally reasonable (we’re really sensitive to resonances and should try to minimize them) and turns it into a weird voodoo thing.

Like it would actually be neat to see accelerometer data from different fill material, as well as legit blind testing to see if it made any real world difference. But he people arguing about these things online tend not to be interested in actual research and answers.

It’s one of those where the original idea is good - “all those little things that resonate add up and increase the background noise floor of the environment, so hey why not dampen the obvious ones?” - and goes off on a tangent about the best fill materials, densities, placement etc until it all seems so much effort nobody bothers.

I guarantee you that throwing a thousand bucks some 300mm deep blocks of Rockwool RWA45 stapled into some basic cheap wooden frames and wrapped with an acoustically transparent material, some offcuts of wood chopped at various angles and mounted onto a board, and filling holes and cavities with your generic cheap builder’s sand will do a fuckload more for your sound quality than spending magnitudes more on components.

It’s even harder to convince venues and places of work about this. The amount of places I come across in my day job that have spent a fortune on a new speaker system when all they needed was to just treat the drat room and position/tune the existing speakers properly is insane.

Luckily I’m able to - more often than not - do simulations and measurements that convince them otherwise, but there are plenty of nice live music venues, bars, restaurants and even cinemas that I actively avoid because the venue itself is just awful regardless of how good the kit installed is.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

More info please.

New mandatory codec that works on both low-energy and normal versions of Bluetooth, basically a scalable codec like AAC on steroids. But as it's a part of the BT 5.2 core spec it has other goodies baked in.

For example, connecting to multiple headsets at a time, or making true wireless earbuds not suck intense amounts of rear end like they do now. Also, they demoed an emitter for televisions/public spaces that allow people with hearing aids to toggle audio streams and connect directly to the source they're listening to.

Also, because it uses less energy, both hearing aids and earbuds will last longer

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Dual device stereo is great, surprised and happy they got it in so quickly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

It’s one of those where the original idea is good - “all those little things that resonate add up and increase the background noise floor of the environment, so hey why not dampen the obvious ones?” - and goes off on a tangent about the best fill materials, densities, placement etc until it all seems so much effort nobody bothers.

I guarantee you that throwing a thousand bucks some 300mm deep blocks of Rockwool RWA45 stapled into some basic cheap wooden frames and wrapped with an acoustically transparent material, some offcuts of wood chopped at various angles and mounted onto a board, and filling holes and cavities with your generic cheap builder’s sand will do a fuckload more for your sound quality than spending magnitudes more on components.

It’s even harder to convince venues and places of work about this. The amount of places I come across in my day job that have spent a fortune on a new speaker system when all they needed was to just treat the drat room and position/tune the existing speakers properly is insane.

Luckily I’m able to - more often than not - do simulations and measurements that convince them otherwise, but there are plenty of nice live music venues, bars, restaurants and even cinemas that I actively avoid because the venue itself is just awful regardless of how good the kit installed is.

Yup, this is what a lot of people fail to realise when thinking about audio which is nuts. I did some work for a family that had spent thousands on a speaker install for their kitchen. A kitchen which was pretty huge, open plan into the rest of the house and completely covered floor to high ceiling with shiny tiling. They were wondering why the expensive speakers they'd bought didn't sound as good as they did in the listening room at the place they bought them from.

That people fail to realise about the listening environment is crazy to me. You can spend tens of thousands on kit but if your listening space is fundamentally bad, you've wasted your money.

As a mild aside is your work place related to your name here at all? A friend knows a dude at Neuron Pro Audio here in the UK and I've been following them because they actually know what they're doing when it comes to sound and setting up venues.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 12, 2020

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

As a mild aside is your work place related to your name here at all? A friend knows a dude at Neuron Pro Audio here in the UK and I've been following them because they actually know what they're doing when it comes to sound and setting up venues.

Haha, yeah that’s my company. I don’t post here much, considering I’ve been a user under this or other accounts since the early 2000s. So much for anonymity! But thanks, it’s nice to see some appreciation because as you say, it’s a nightmare uphill battle a lot of the time.

We’ve been far from perfect in the past of course, but actually learning from mistakes and doing research instead of blindly following what everyone does seems to be paying off.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can talk audio with some relatively intelligent people, and they will outright reject spending any money on room treatment. Rooms where a single hand clap rings for seconds.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I'm about to go buy studio monitors.

Pray for me/my bank account.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pick up a umik-1 and minidsp 2x4 while you're at it

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

If you have a brick and mortar store then they should allow a demo in your premises, via their / your country’s returns policy.

At the very least go do side by side at the store with tracks of your own and those you know.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Neurophonic posted:

If you have a brick and mortar store then they should allow a demo in your premises, via their / your country’s returns policy.

At the very least go do side by side at the store with tracks of your own and those you know.
JBL are nice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

Haha, yeah that’s my company. I don’t post here much, considering I’ve been a user under this or other accounts since the early 2000s. So much for anonymity! But thanks, it’s nice to see some appreciation because as you say, it’s a nightmare uphill battle a lot of the time.

We’ve been far from perfect in the past of course, but actually learning from mistakes and doing research instead of blindly following what everyone does seems to be paying off.

Ah, now that I think about it I may have asked that same question before! I threw together a Bill Fitzmaurice setup years ago and like you say, it's a learning curve to figure out what works best theoretically and how to alter that when those are indeed theoreticals. There's not much like getting something dialled in properly though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Pick up a umik-1 and minidsp 2x4 while you're at it

oh poo poo wait I hope I'm not too late!
I bought a bunch of used QSC power amps, a minidsp HD + mic and I gotta say it's a fantastic setup.
Yeah there's much nicer and expensive ways to do it, but for the money it's a great setup, and I can easily swap passive speakers If I want to re-arrange my space.

Edit: I should specify that I'm using the minidsp as the DSP and active crossover for a pair of 2 way speakers.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 13, 2020

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I was heartened to see so many products adding easy DSP to their poo poo this year at CES, seems like a no-brainer to me for better audio than your competitors

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah there's much nicer and expensive ways to do it
exactly, :getin:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hi thread! I need terrible audiophile YouTube channels in my life. Please help me out with some recommendations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Hi thread! I need terrible audiophile YouTube channels in my life. Please help me out with some recommendations.

Steve Guttenberg, Thomas & Stereo, John Darko, Zero Fidelity

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Hang on, to find the fundamental of cat poo poo do I model each turd as an open pipe or closed pipe?

I may have audioplasmosis at this point.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What the hell do you mean model? You have to listen to the cat poo poo. Each one is unique, and will have unique effects on the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Fresh or cryo-dried?