Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Martman posted:

Ok, the crappy new Doom movie was a little bit more fun than I expected. The action is terrible, but I could see a sequel being more functional if they had an actual budget.

Christ, is this what it's come to? The action in this action movie was terrible, but if it gets a bigger budget sequel it might actually rise to the level of "functional". Check it out!

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The first film in a series is just a pilot these days.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's movies that are fun to get drunk to, and there are movies that you want to make sure you're already drunk before you even press play. Doom is the latter. That said, I had a lot of fun with it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

feedmyleg posted:

The first film in a series is just a pilot these days.

I guess now that TV is more like the movies used to be, movies need to be more like TV is

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Anybody check out Too Old to Die Young?

Rewatched some of Refn’s stuff recently and had no idea he just put out this Amazon series, it’s like buried even when you go to their ‘original series’ list.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Human Tornada posted:

Christ, is this what it's come to? The action in this action movie was terrible, but if it gets a bigger budget sequel it might actually rise to the level of "functional". Check it out!

the bar is sort of inherently lower for DTV movies made on a budget of pocket change and lint, and I for one find technical flaws in them more forgivable (and technical mastery in them more impressive).

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm 3 episodes into Messiah on Netflix and it's pretty good so far. The protagonist actor is insanely charismatic. I would follow that guy into the desert.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Medical Police is pretty drat funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom could make such a good movie in the right hands. It's a shame every effort has been low budget sci fi channel shlock that just uses Doom as a loose theme. Just use the themes and aesthetic from Doom 2016 and make it with the irreverence of like Robocop, Dredd 2012...Just do the setup with corporate greed unleashing hell and then 90 minutes of the Doomslayer just ripping and tearing.

And Doomguy is played the guy who was the Mountain in GOT of course.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Use the aesthetic from the original.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anything could make a good movie, especially something as nebulous as "hell is open, and pissed"

It's almost admirable how bad the first Doom movie was

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Franchescanado posted:

It fuckin owns, it's the funniest original Netflix has done imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched Tigers Are Not Afraid on Shudder and even if it’s a bit rough around the edges there’s a lot to love. If nothing else the director manages to wrangle some great performances out of an extremely young cast and it’s pretty unique.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Doom could make such a good movie in the right hands. It's a shame every effort has been low budget sci fi channel shlock that just uses Doom as a loose theme. Just use the themes and aesthetic from Doom 2016 and make it with the irreverence of like Robocop, Dredd 2012...Just do the setup with corporate greed unleashing hell and then 90 minutes of the Doomslayer just ripping and tearing.

And Doomguy is played the guy who was the Mountain in GOT of course.

this is more or less what Annihilation tried to do, though? it just visibly didn't have the budget to nail it (and deliberately avoided the Doom Slayer living-room-elephant, presumably for that reason)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ehh. I mean I think without Doomguy it's not Doom. It's not supposed to be a group of people running from Demons it's supposed to be one beefy boy wrecking them. Plus (full disclosure I only skimmed the last half of the movie) the only demons they used were imps and they made them all stupid looking. Even if a lot of that was budget related it's not like it made it any good.

Plus the whole recklessly harnessing hell energy as a source of power is way cooler than whatever that teleport thing they were doing was.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I liked the imp costumes, and three or four of the performances were surprisingly good and fun. Like, yeah I would call it a bad movie, but to do a reasonable attempt that actually features a lot more Doom enemies seems like it quickly gets into legit budget territory. I think they could have just shaved like half an hour off of this and treated it like a proof of concept to try to get funding for a real movie. All I need out of Doom is Event Horizon-esque sci-fi horror but with the goofy twist that it's actually possible to kick the demons' asses by the end, and I thought it had hints of setting that up in a fun way.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

beanieson posted:

Anybody check out Too Old to Die Young?

Rewatched some of Refn’s stuff recently and had no idea he just put out this Amazon series, it’s like buried even when you go to their ‘original series’ list.

It's insanely up it's own rear end and like 3x longer than it should be. I don't regret watching it all, but I'm glad I was painting miniatures while it was playing. There is no way I would have had the patience to finish it if I was giving it my full attention.

It's got a few great moments though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Class Warcraft posted:

It's insanely up it's own rear end and like 3x longer than it should be. I don't regret watching it all, but I'm glad I was painting miniatures while it was playing. There is no way I would have had the patience to finish it if I was giving it my full attention.

It's got a few great moments though.

I actually stopped watching like 20 mins in when I realized that almost all 10 episodes are feature length. It immediately felt like homework.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm like, very late to the party, but Ramy (on Hulu) (for which the lead just won a Golden Globe) is absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite TV shows. There's a second season coming this year and I am now very excited.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Franchescanado posted:

I enjoyed it but it really just made me want to watch Angie Tribeca again, which I think pushes the absurdity further in a good way. I never watched Children's Hospital, though.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Glottis posted:

I enjoyed it but it really just made me want to watch Angie Tribeca again, which I think pushes the absurdity further in a good way. I never watched Children's Hospital, though.

I enjoyed Medical Police a lot. I'd never heard of Children's Hospital, and I'm a little blown away to find out that Medical Police is a spin-off of a long-running show. Anybody watch that one?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I swear to god doctor-cops has been done as a sketch by many shows over time because the top two drama professions is a no brainer. It's turned me off watching the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you have any examples?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amazon has a ton of originals that I've never heard of, they're kinda bad at advertising

Hell when I saw that Mozart in the Jungle was on season 4 I was like "what, I didn't even know about season 2"

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Similarly I'm aware Apple has shows now but all I could tell you is there's a show with a blind Jason Momoa and there's a show with I think Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carrel. I saw an add during the nfl playoffs for all their shows and I hadn't even heard of any of the rest.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

I enjoyed Medical Police a lot. I'd never heard of Children's Hospital, and I'm a little blown away to find out that Medical Police is a spin-off of a long-running show. Anybody watch that one?

Yes, and it's very funny. It's much more absurd. They also stuck to 15 minute episodes for most of it's run, so it's pretty easy to get through. Netflix used to have the whole series. It's more of a satire of all types of medical shows where all the doctors sleep with each other, like ER and Grey's Anatomy. It really hits it's stride in the 2nd season.

JBP posted:

I swear to god doctor-cops has been done as a sketch by many shows over time because the top two drama professions is a no brainer. It's turned me off watching the show.

Eh, for a show called Medical Police, it's surprisingly, more action based, like a parody of NCIS or something. The show is about a globe-trotting adventure to stop a 12 Monkeys type super-virus. Every episode has a sequence that would completely fit in a straight-forward action show. It just also happens to have absurd humor you'd recognize from David Wain, Stella and The State. The antagonist (edit: credit where credit's due, her name is Megan Le/ Megan Nguyen, and she rules) that follows them and tries to kill them is pretty awesome:

https://twitter.com/robhuebel/status/1216787185074167809?s=20

But if that clip doesn't appeal to you, and a David Wain / The State show that satires action dramas doesn't sell you, then yeah, save your time.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 14, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Big fan of Children's Hospital and had no idea they were working on this. Medical Police is hilarious.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Watching this Dracula show on Netflix. Finished episode 2 last night and... lmao OK. We're doing this?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Someone for the love of god spoil the stupid stuff in Dracula so people don’t watch it out of curiosity

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

david_a posted:

Someone for the love of god spoil the stupid stuff in Dracula so people don’t watch it out of curiosity

Haven't seen episode 3 yet to be able to tell anyone whether it's worth it!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Haven't seen episode 3 yet to be able to tell anyone whether it's worth it!

It really isn't.

I thought ep 1 was turn the brain off fun. It is a Dracula story, I'm not expecting much.

Ep 2 was ok, focusing on the Demeter voyage that was just a footnote in the book was kind of different.

I actually liked his character for most of ep1 and parts of 2. They didn't try and make him dark, broody, sexy, sympathetic. I liked that he was an unapologetic bad guy.

Ep3 was just really, really bad. I don't think it even needs specific spoilers for story notes. It was just bad.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Is watching Childrens Hospital and NCIS:SVU:JAG important for watching Medical Police?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Childrens Hospital has a running joke that the hospital is in Brazil despite very obviously being shot in Los Angeles, Medical Police actually filmed on location in Brazil.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Is watching Childrens Hospital and NCIS:SVU:JAG important for watching Medical Police?

Not really. There's some references and in-jokes to Children's Hospital in the first episode, but I watched it with a friend who had no idea that Children's Hospital was a show, and he just thought they were absurd bits and he was fine with it.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Zachack posted:

I haven’t watched Children’s Hospital and wasn’t aware of the connection until I saw Rob Corddry in the makeup, and I had an awesome time. Thinking I should go back and watch CH now.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Yeah Childrens Hospital is definitely worth watching if you like Medical Police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzIeISl1uc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phetz posted:

I haven’t watched Children’s Hospital and wasn’t aware of the connection until I saw Rob Corddry in the makeup, and I had an awesome time. Thinking I should go back and watch CH now.

Childrens, not Children's. It's named after the Childrens family.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

Childrens, not Children's. It's named after the Childrens family.

Lol I like this show already.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Children's Hospital is the web series the precedes Childrens Hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

Yeah Childrens Hospital is definitely worth watching if you like Medical Police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzIeISl1uc

When you see someone with a Birthday Boys avatar post recommendations, you know they're to be trusted.

:cheers: