Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My parents used mercurochrome on my wounds when I was a kid and I turned out fine.

Hey, anyone else hereing voyciz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

For real? Not just some correlation, but showing a real link?

See info here:
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/02/an-updated-lead-crime-roundup-for-2018/

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zeond posted:

Forgotten Weapons recently uploaded a video of an ex-soviet 122mm howitzer firing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8QluMMELU

There's some OSHA in the video as the comments, mostly from Finnish artillery crews which used the same gun as the 122H63, mention that the loader should never load the gun directly from behind as there's a risk of the gun firing immediately upon closing the breech and hitting the incorrectly positioned loader.

Yeah, as you say the 122H63 is just our code for the imported Soviet D30, and as you ALSO say, you could kinda tell the thing was Soviet built, even though the FDF have done some modifications to them to make them less Soviet over the years.

But hey, they were cheap and we've got such a massive stockpile of ammunition that our field artillery crews to fire more shells than almost any other country's gunners because the shells keep expiring almost faster than we can shoot them off.

PurpleXVI posted:

It would seem that a firing range, with weapons that have different propellant charges, should have no back yards out to the maximum distance of a given weapon and propellant charge. :v: I mean, that's just me!

Yeah, I think a lot of people came around to that line of thinking around the time the second shell landed near the same town :v:

To get an idea of what happened, here is the area. You can probably pick out the Pohjankangas firing range on the map (it's the area where sand is the main vegetation). The army base is to the south of the firing range, and the guns fire from the south end towards north. And I totally get what you mean, but at the same time... they overshot the target by ~5 kilometers. That's not easy to do!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wesleywillis posted:

Vupp paxalonks usow volculestlemo en vupp weucts hon Pum waxas pit gid pi Pum tulnow uk bino.

Whoupp, axanyeno orso wholoick meyciz?

Is this guy ok?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hollow Talk posted:

It's called leading a good life for a reason!

God damnit

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

My parents used mercurochrome on my wounds when I was a kid and I turned out fine.

Hey, anyone else hereing voyciz?

Mine also, plus paragoric for croup.

Why no, I can't smell time.

(edit) In the late 60s, my dad (a research chemist) mixed up something called hyamine in the lab at Rohm & Haas, and we used it instead of mercurochrome. It was colorless & odorless and didn't sting. He said R&H had trouble marketing it outside of hospitals because people felt that, if the antiseptic didn't sting, it wasn't working.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 14, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Shut up Meg posted:

Oh, and he went onto invent CFC, the greenhouse gas

It’s a potent greenhouse gas, but if that were the only thing it did, we might never have phased it out.

The bigger issue with chlorofluorocarbons is that they wreck the ozone layer.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Fun fact we replaced ozone killing CFCs with HFCs as a propellant in cans. HFCs don’t hurt the ozone layer but are a very strong greenhouse gas.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
CFC and HCFC degrade, reacting with ozone. That's bad.

I know, lets make them but they don't degrade. They're degrading cause of the big honking chlorine. We can replace that with flourine and hydrogen in a way the physical properties are very similar, with a stability that they will never react.

Oh poo poo. oh gently caress. They aren't reacting and are big honking molecules that bodily block photons and radiant heat loss to space.

The person pointing out we are sitting around industrially farting ourselves to death while watching and knowing exactly what's happening is a good thought, but if there's any theoretical future people looking back at the end of the 20th century they are going to look at banning tetraethyl lead and CFCs like "haha, they thought that was going to help?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also my understanding is that if it wasn't for the fact that HFCs were there, and could be used as cheaply as CFCs, the refrigeration industry would still be using them to this day and kicking and screaming the way oil companies are.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Real Drop Bear PPE has a closed face helmet and neck protection. Those bastards are vicious and will tear your face right off. Goggles won't save you.

A good prank though. Not our fault you lot can't tell the difference between them and a Koala, and it neatly avoids the dangers of a Drop Bear that has made a fresh kill and gotten its blood up, not to mention the retaliation of the janitorial staff who have to deal with the mess afterwards.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

Also my understanding is that if it wasn't for the fact that HFCs were there, and could be used as cheaply as CFCs, the refrigeration industry would still be using them to this day and kicking and screaming the way oil companies are.

If you want refrigeration without greenhouse effects and without killing the ozone layer, there’s always ammonia.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pickled Tink posted:

Real Drop Bear PPE has a closed face helmet and neck protection. Those bastards are vicious and will tear your face right off. Goggles won't save you.

A good prank though. Not our fault you lot can't tell the difference between them and a Koala, and it neatly avoids the dangers of a Drop Bear that has made a fresh kill and gotten its blood up, not to mention the retaliation of the janitorial staff who have to deal with the mess afterwards.

Don't worry they're all dead now. :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Koalas are like pandas, if pandas were much smaller and were marginally better at reproduction in captivity.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Platystemon posted:

Koalas are like pandas, if pandas were much smaller and were marginally better at reproduction in captivity.

But with somehow even dumber digestive tracts and way more STDs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/alexanderperrin/status/1216865113149341696

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha gently caress

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"global warming isn't real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the climate into hellworld with my lovely industrialization

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It can't be, because then I'd be stupid and evil, but I know I'm good and smart, so it can't be.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Memento posted:

The Montreal Protocol is a very gentle phase out. You can still legally service your classic car with R-12.

Most of the traction came from specialty chemicals companies who had HCFC and HFC patents sewn up between a consortium aiming to wreck the Dupont monopoly. The ozone hole is fixing itself in spite of the situation.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hate to be the guy triple posting poo poo, but it really does put things into perspective:

(Note that Box Hill is about 250 kilometres away from the big bushfires)

I'm fortunate that the AQI where I am is merely an "unhealthy" 250. It's usually about 13.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 14, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I went to the supermarket earlier with my N2 mask on, and I wasn't the only person walking around Woolworths with one around my neck, and no one looked at me funny.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

(Note that Box Hill is about 250 kilometres away from the big bushfires)

Also more relevantly about 1-2 kilometers away from me! ...yeah, I'm staying inside as much as possible today.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Also more relevantly about 1-2 kilometers away from me! ...yeah, I'm staying inside as much as possible today.

Yeah I'm pretty close to Box Hill also. Didn't feel that bad on the ride to work though, oddly enough

Took this on the Yarra at lunchtime, there's a CBD in there somewhere

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Stay safe and try not to breathe unless absolutely necessary!

Memento posted:

I went to the supermarket earlier with my N2 mask on, and I wasn't the only person walking around Woolworths with one around my neck, and no one looked at me funny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I googled the same thing but I think they meant a dust mask for motorcycling

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
No, sorry, this is my headcannon now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Agent Hermann?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

zedprime posted:

The Montreal Protocol is a very gentle phase out. You can still legally service your classic car with R-12.

Most of the traction came from specialty chemicals companies who had HCFC and HFC patents sewn up between a consortium aiming to wreck the Dupont monopoly. The ozone hole is fixing itself in spite of the situation.

The trump admin started make noises about reversing the various reefer bans, until the lobbyists shut it down hard.

They make more money on R-22 banking and 4 series refrigerants and equipment than they ever would of got without Montreal.

I'm hoping magneto-calorics take off. I will do chilled water all day long.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They're all the rage in pre and post apocalyptic Australia.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

holy wow, this is from current Australia isn't' it?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That is CLEARLY an episode of Farscape

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy wow, this is from current Australia isn't' it?

Yeah, there's an Outback Steakhouse just to the left out of frame.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Seems like it would strain your neck. Pretty OSHA though I guess.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/n2vXO3c.gifv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lumberjack school needs some physics classes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Cojawfee posted:

Lumberjack school needs some physics classes.

I went to Humboldt State and our mascot was the Lumberjack. I also took physics there :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's pretty smart to have the switch also double as a screw terminal block.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is this the Matesong ad they pulled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Jeebus, I don't even know where to begin with this.