Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's definitely wayyyyy more 'comedy' than 'action' (there's not really all that much of action at all, to be honest), but Giant Days by John Allison ended earlier this year and won an Eisner, so maybe that might be worth a look?

Fair enough, I'll look into this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hawkeye by Fraction and Aja.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hawkeye by Fraction and Aja.

Another wonderful choice, and I'd follow it up with Kelly Thompson's delightful Hawkeye series, maybe skipping Jeff Lemire's series in between them.

Along those lines (funny and light superhero books):

Charles Soule's She-Hulk (two TPBs)
Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man (three TPBs)
Nick Spencer's Astonishing Ant-Man (four TPBs at first, recently collected into a thicker Complete Collection TPB)
Dennis Hopeless' Spider-Woman (start at #5 or the second TPB, "New Duds," to avoid some unnecessary and confusing Spider-Verse crossover mishegas)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 31, 2019

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there a long run of something good made in the last 10 years or so? I'd like to binge through something. I enjoy comedy and action, generally liked preacher, y and he last man, invincible, walking dead, etc. I don't think I've read more than a few issues of anything in the last 5 years.

It's not a long run, but the first trade of Black Cat comes out next week and we've been trying to hit the action/comedy balance with it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

You goons are good at recommending comics, I love y'all.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's not a long run, but the first trade of Black Cat comes out next week and we've been trying to hit the action/comedy balance with it.

"We" as in you had something to do with the creation of this great book?

Wonderful comic, highly recommended.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did anyone say Tom Taylor's All New Wolverine yet,?because Tom Taylor's All New Wolverine is a great action comedy series.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I’m really looking forward to checking it out. I grew up on her and Peter being an item so it’s nice to have her back from hardened gangster.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GOD IS BED posted:

"We" as in you had something to do with the creation of this great book?

Wonderful comic, highly recommended.

He wrote it, yes.

And I second (third?) the recommendation.

Skwirl posted:

Did anyone say Tom Taylor's All New Wolverine yet,?because Tom Taylor's All New Wolverine is a great action comedy series.

This is also good, since it gave us Honey Badger, the Best X-Man.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Yvonmukluk posted:

He wrote it, yes.

And I second (third?) the recommendation.

Well heck yeah! Gonna support a goon and buy a great book this week!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yes, sorry, I write Black Cat. First trade has issues #1-5 and the annual, so if you haven't checked out the series maybe take a look!

Edit: Sorry, the annual is going to be in Vol. 2! My mistake.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 30, 2019

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What are some of the better rebirth era DC comics? Looking for anything I might have missed. I hope to use my January comics budget up as soon as the new year rolls around.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

What are some of the better rebirth era DC comics? Looking for anything I might have missed. I hope to use my January comics budget up as soon as the new year rolls around.

I liked Green Arrow and Deathstroke (although in the latter case, being a Priest fanboy helps). New Super-Man is a lot of fun too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I don't think anyone recommended Black Hammer. For shame. It's all Lemire doing a love letter to superheroes. If you like Astro City (another solid book to look into) give Black Hammer a shot. It's a bit more focus than AC, and it follows a bunch of superheroes trapped in a small town farm without knowing why they are there. Lots of great personal stuff and a mystery that kind of meanders. It kind of just finished, but Lemire did a few offshoots as well.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Hey all. I'm looking for some recommendation for shorter, self-contained stories. I've gotten a long way into Saga, and I'm sure I'll finish it some day, but it's also a bit too long for me to read in a day or two before life gets in the way and I get sidetracked. I've also read some Marvel/DC in the past, but with all the crossovers and timeline changes and stuff it's just too confusing for me. I'm not opposed to Marvel/DC at all (I loved Vision in his suburbia thriller) as along as it's fairly stand-alone. Not too many cross-overs where I start in Spiderman, have to read a couple of Wolverines (who's also in the middle of his own arc), then read some iron man and thor only to go back to spiderman to get the complete story. Needing a reading guide is a big turn-off for me.

Genre doesn't matter that much, as long as it's fun (vague, I know). I love stuff where they have a single concept and run wild with it, preferably scifi/fantasy. Recently I've read Skyward and Paper Girls and I'm craving more like that. Something I can read on a lazy Sunday afternoon and finish in a couple of sittings.

eta:
Oh yeah, I also really loved Southern Bastards. I'd also love it if it was a concluded story. If it's an ongoing series I'll just get annoyed having to wait for the next issue and then forgetting about it, which is what happened with Saga back in the day.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 9, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you liked Vision, check out the recent Mister Miracle series, also written by Tom King. It's a DC series, but self-contained.

Ed Brubaker's Criminal series might interest you - each trade is a self-contained stories, though there's some minor crossovers between them that don't really matter if you miss them (like the main character of one may show up as a side character in another).

Southern Bastards is....ongoing...ish. I'm pretty sure Jason Aaron confirmed they've got more coming out this year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Couple of things that popped out to me when looking through my recent purchases. These are made of shorter stories you could pick up and drop at any time. And they're all action stories.

Street Angel (a kung-fu homeless teenager who fights lots of ninjas... And hunger)
Head Lopper (fantasy stories about a guy who is good at cutting off heads)
Shaolin Cowboy (it is what it says on the tin)

I'd also throw in Hellboy. There's a lot of Hellboy, but it's easy to read in chunks (until the last few arcs that lead into each other)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Double post! (had a chance to look at my shelves at home)

East of West (kinda a religious post apocalyptic sci-fi thing, kinda dark, about to wrap up soon)
Fear Agent (action packed old school (rockets and laser guns) humans v. aliens sci-fi)
Orion by Walt Simonson
Thor by Walt Simonson
Planetary (archeologists of the weird, meta book about stories, Warren Ellis weirdness all around)
Star Man (90's superhero book, definite classic comic vibe)
Transmetropolitan (Hunter S Thompson-esqe reporter in the future covering an election and shooting people with a gun that makes you poo poo yourself)
Moon Knight by Warren Ellis
NEXTWave (It's like Shakespeare, but with lots more punching)
All-Star Superman

...I like Warren Ellis as is evident by my list.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. Looks like I have enough to get me going for now.

As an example of what I'm annoyed by in the Marvel/DC stuff: I started reading Ms. Marvel yesterday while waiting for your recommendations because it seemed like an interesting take on the whole superhero thing, and I'm definitely not disappointed. It's tons of fun and I love having a non-standard protagonist, especially from a background I'm not very familiar with. I'm a couple of volumes in and didn't feel like I was missing anything and it wasn't too complicated. Of course Captain Marvel shows up, and teaming up with Wolverine and Spidey was cool and fun. But then there's a big build up to a huge world ending event, huge cliffhanger, I go to the next volume and boom she's in the Avengers now, and the whole world ending thing has been resolved?

Like, I understand why that's the way these stories are structured and stuff, it's just not for me. Now if I want to get the complete story in Ms. Marvel I have to look up which cross-overs she does and I'll have to read issues #x-y of other superheroes, and that just annoys me.

e:
Apparently what I missed is the Secret Wars story, which is supposed to be very good, so I guess I'll give it a shot. But like, look at this! Now to understand most of that I'll have to read the stories of all the superheroes involved, which are a lot. It just annoys my slightly OCD/completionist brain. If I had discovered comics 15 years ago it'd have been fine because I would have had the time to actually keep up with all of it, but as it is, nah.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 10, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Understandable.

I didn't mention it above cause it's pretty long, but Squirrel Girl is a favorite around here and just wrapped up and is unconcerned about outside continuity.

Edit: Secret Wars is kinda the best case scenario for an event. Other than the main series, I think there was one other (Old Man Logan?) that was kinda important. Everything else fell under "read it if it's interesting to you". You could ignore most of that as they acted as What If stories more than anything else.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 10, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You don’t even need to read Secret Wars, though it is quite good. poo poo got blown up, and then put back together without any involvement on Ms Marvel’s part. Check out the first arc of Mark Waid’s Avengers to see how she got on the team.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

You don’t even need to read Secret Wars, though it is quite good. poo poo got blown up, and then put back together without any involvement on Ms Marvel’s part. Check out the first arc of Mark Waid’s Avengers to see how she got on the team.

Ah, thanks, I'll check that out because I'm more interested in how she joined the Avengers than the whole world ending bit, although if I get around to it I'll still probably read it. I've read some Squirrel Girl a while ago, I should get back to it. Old Man Logan was really good, read that a couple of years ago.

Other mentions that I've read are Planetary (which was pretty cool, but also didn't really stuck with me) and Transmetropolitan, which was totally my jam. (so much so that I strongly considered doing my thesis on it.) Also Watchmen, of course, which was great.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Taeke posted:

Ah, thanks, I'll check that out because I'm more interested in how she joined the Avengers than the whole world ending bit, although if I get around to it I'll still probably read it. I've read some Squirrel Girl a while ago, I should get back to it. Old Man Logan was really good, read that a couple of years ago.

Other mentions that I've read are Planetary (which was pretty cool, but also didn't really stuck with me) and Transmetropolitan, which was totally my jam. (so much so that I strongly considered doing my thesis on it.) Also Watchmen, of course, which was great.

I mentioned it before but I seriously recommend Black Hammer as a great superhero jam that is fairly self contained in its own universe. There are some off-shoots/one offs but those aren't really needed to enjoy the main story. If you like good character studies, homages and a strange mystery give the book a shot.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Taeke posted:

Other mentions that I've read are Planetary (which was pretty cool, but also didn't really stuck with me) and Transmetropolitan, which was totally my jam. (so much so that I strongly considered doing my thesis on it.)

Sounds like you're a fan of Warren Ellis. I recommend the first two volumes of The Authority, Global Frequency, and Trees.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
What should I read if the last thing I read was old Teen Titans?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished Kieron Gillen and Caspar Wijngaard's Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt miniseries for Dynamite, and it was excellent. Easily my favorite Watchmen homage/pastiche ever, extremely meta, and plays a lot with the form of comic storytelling, especially the nine-panel grid. I'd recommend it to pretty much everyone here, since y'all have good taste.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Hi I'm new to actually reading comic books and have subscibed to Marvel Unlimited to give it a go.

I have been reading Ms Marvel 2014 or so but then everything ends and theres a new series and they barely acknoledge what happened previously. I rolled with it, but comic books are confusing.

1. Do you have any advice for someone just starting out?
2. reccomendations of good stuff to read
3. maybe help me understand why certain lines have multiple #1's and whats the difference between them?
4. Any other advice you can give me.

Ive enjoyed my time so far, but comic book culture has it's own language and assumptions that seem alien to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

HardKase posted:

3. maybe help me understand why certain lines have multiple #1's and whats the difference between them?

There's always a bit of a sales boost with a new #1, so publishers reboot often. It can be argued that it kills long term growth. Usually, it happens due to the change of a creative team, other times it's because of the series being interrupted by a crossover event (several titles telling a single story amongst themselves or telling side stories related to a standalone event).

You can usually pick any #1 that interests you, but sometimes they continue previous stories (eg, Jason Aaron's Thor). If you are interested in a specific title/character, check for a reading guide or ask here.

If you like Ms. Marvel, check out Squirrel Girl. The first series, then the second one. :cheeky:

What kinds of stories do you like? There's a bunch of classic runs on Marvel Unlimited of different styles and characters, some modern, some old.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Uthor posted:

What kinds of stories do you like? There's a bunch of classic runs on Marvel Unlimited of different styles and characters, some modern, some old.

I like stories that make me think about stuff in a new way. I like beautiful artwork and interesting characters. I like stuff that can make me laugh.

That said, im open to new things and will try anything for at least a half dozen issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Squirrel girl an Howard the Duck (which also has got rebooted into a new number one because of a line wide event he's not involved in very early in it's series) are both great series that don't require a lot of knowledge about anything else in comics to follow.

If there's a particular character or team you're interested in we can recommend some stuff.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HardKase posted:

I like stories that make me think about stuff in a new way. I like beautiful artwork and interesting characters. I like stuff that can make me laugh.

That said, im open to new things and will try anything for at least a half dozen issues.

For cool artwork check out the strange tales series if it’s on MU. The more recent one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kid Loki made me think about Loki is a new way, but it's kinda all over the place with reading order, so here's a guide:
https://journey-into-mystery.tumblr.com/post/30097993112/kidlokiguide

It's on my reread list at the moment.

I'd also recommend Walt Siminsons Thor run and Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run (which you'll kinda need a guide for half way through, sorry).

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If I wanted to start reading modern Judge Dredd, what's the best way to do that in the US?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two is on Comixology Unlimited, and it's amazing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
now that ive finally finished my read of all the star wars books, i think im finally gonna sit down and read astro city. but there are so many reprints with different names (im assuming because its gone through 3 different pubs) and one shots and minis and now its all ogn i guess i have no idea what the reading order actually is. can anyone help out?

e: i think??? the trades have all the stuff in order? i dunno but for now ill just stick with those

site fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 15, 2020

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

lifg posted:

Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two is on Comixology Unlimited, and it's amazing.
I've read that, it was awesome, but I want more, maybe from the actual 2000 AD line.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've read that, it was awesome, but I want more, maybe from the actual 2000 AD line.

Judge Dredd Case Files collects most of his 2000 AD stuff, 05 has his most famous stuff and it's not really something you need to read from the beginning.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just buy literally hundreds of issues of 2000AD I don’t see the problem.

(Best place to start is probably the case files)

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Judge Dredd Case Files collects most of his 2000 AD stuff, 05 has his most famous stuff and it's not really something you need to read from the beginning.
Cool, is it good to start there and keep going through the Case Files? Should I jump around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Cool, is it good to start there and keep going through the Case Files? Should I jump around?

Start at the beginning or jump around. One story rarely relates to another and there's almost zero character growth.