Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Changes in episode 2 for those curious:

-Held shot of Emilia thinking.
-Held shot of Elsa's rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
Do we actually have any idea which scenes will be potentially added (starting ep 8 I believe)?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cergos posted:

Do we actually have any idea which scenes will be potentially added (starting ep 8 I believe)?
Hmm. I forget what was left out in arc 2, but from arc 3 I remember:

o Rem feigning her death after the whale is slain, leading to a confession under the flugel tree. I doubt this considering arc 4.
o Puck revealing to Juice while freezing him that he was made by Echidna.
o Subaru seeking Beatrice's help before the last fight with Betelgeuse.
o It's been 3 years I'll try and think of what else.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I would guess:

the stuff that got removed from the the other candidates that relates to world background, the stuff about Al and some more about Betelguese's true nature.

Also I'm pretty sure the cliffhanger was already confirmed to be back in.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i watched the first two eps of the rerelease yesterday and I'm rediscovering my hate of subaru it seems. however, it's not just subaru that bothers me, it's the whole cast

i don't know what it is about the first season that chafes me, but it does. on paper, it sounds like a show and setting that I should like, but then I watch and i find subaru grating, i find the rest of the cast to be grating and not particularly believable, etc.

i'm gonna watch through the rest of the season 1 rerelease and see if season 2 does anything for me, but i'm not very hopeful. i've read spoilers, and the story sounds insteresting when reduced to a summary, but like I said, season 1 just bugs me

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

on episodes 1 & 2, what bothers me about subaru is how he keeps acting like a jackass after dying like 4 times. i can stand the "i'm in an isekai and this is like my rpgs wow" style behavior at first, but after getting stabbed and dying (and realizing that's what's happening) you'd think he'd have toned it down a lot, but at the end of episode two he's still doing this bullshit.

the contrast of subaru being goony as gently caress with a story where the main character dies at the drop of a hat is I guess what really grates on me. it feels like the show keeps veering between dark as gently caress and lighthearted, and the refusal to stick with one or the other is probably what's bugging me

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Your time is your own, but if after committing more than an hour and a half to a piece of media not only are you not enjoying it, but also actively disliking it, maybe the best thing to do would be to just cut your loses.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Conspiratiorist posted:

Your time is your own, but if after committing more than an hour and a half to a piece of media you not only aren't enjoying it, but also actively disliking it, maybe the best thing to do would be to just cut your loses.

yeah i know. the reason i keep trying is cause when you reduce the plot down to abstracts, there's an interesting story there that I should like. cause of that I keep trying to give it chances, but it might just be the case that this isn't a show for me.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Condiv posted:

yeah i know. the reason i keep trying is cause when you reduce the plot down to abstracts, there's an interesting story there that I should like. cause of that I keep trying to give it chances, but it might just be the case that this isn't a show for me.

Subaru is intentionally something of a subversion of the safe generic anime protagonist archetype, and the story is very character-driven, so if you find Subaru grating, and dislike the clash between him trying to live out his fantasy slice-of-life tale only to have to contend with the horrors thrown his way, then things probably just won't work for you.

What I'll say, though, is that a significant part of why his behavior comes off as disjointed during the first arc is that initially he doesn't have accurate recollection of events preceding his death loops. In fact, it's possible the first time we the audience see him die, is not actually the first time he dies during the loop - what we follow is his continuity of consciousness for the first time he starts remembering.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 13, 2020

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh I think a lot of people dislike subaru for most of this show. not liking the rest of the cast is the big problem

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like Subaru. He's a huge dork but he's lovable when his dorkiness is harmless and gets shut the gently caress down when it gets out of line which forces him to learn from it. Rem's devotion to him may be a bit wish fulfillmenty but he does go through hell for it. The only time he was annoying to me when he wasn't supposed to be was in the first couple episodes where it takes him way too long to figure out he's in a time loop.

Despite his dorkiness my fiance is joining me for the rewatch. It's her first time through and she hates isekai bullshit so we'll see how she feels about it by the end. I only meant to put it on in the background while I played Pokemon but I ended up watching it sincerely because it's been years since my first watch and I adore the show.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 13, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Condiv posted:

on episodes 1 & 2, what bothers me about subaru is how he keeps acting like a jackass after dying like 4 times. i can stand the "i'm in an isekai and this is like my rpgs wow" style behavior at first, but after getting stabbed and dying (and realizing that's what's happening) you'd think he'd have toned it down a lot, but at the end of episode two he's still doing this bullshit.

the contrast of subaru being goony as gently caress with a story where the main character dies at the drop of a hat is I guess what really grates on me. it feels like the show keeps veering between dark as gently caress and lighthearted, and the refusal to stick with one or the other is probably what's bugging me

I feel like Subaru's behavior is actually pretty well explained.

My controversial Re:Zero opinion is that Rem is actually pretty lame. She's not bad or anything, but the fanbase seems to think she's the most amazing thing ever for some reason. Emilia is also pretty lame for the first three arcs, but is still more interesting on the whole than Rem (though Emilia is even worse than Rem as a romance, even if she's pretty good as a character). Both romances are pretty bad, with the romance angles being the only aspect of this series I really dislike (it's the only aspect where Re:Zero kinda gets into "typical isekai/anime" territory).

Most of the rest of the cast is good.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Yeah you aren't supposed to like subaru, you are generally supposed to be interested in the world and the mystery and the characters subaru meets. To be clear, the show wants you to think he's an overconfident jackass in over his head. Your reading isn't wrong.

But yeah do what you want. I think you really need to get through the first 2 arcs and the act 1 of arc 3 to really reap the rewards of a lot of the early characterization.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

My controversial Re:Zero opinion is that Rem is actually pretty lame. She's not bad or anything, but the fanbase seems to think she's the most amazing thing ever for some reason. Emilia is also pretty lame for the first three arcs, but is still more interesting on the whole than Rem (though Emilia is even worse than Rem as a romance, even if she's pretty good as a character). Both romances are pretty bad, with the romance angles being the only aspect of this series I really dislike (it's the only aspect where Re:Zero kinda gets into "typical isekai/anime" territory).

You're really gonna like season 2 then. :lewis:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Emilia is good because she takes a stand against all the traditional anime protagonist waifu pedestal bullshit so it's all good

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Eej posted:

Emilia is good because she takes a stand against all the traditional anime protagonist waifu pedestal bullshit so it's all good
And Rem steps on another, related pedestal and gives a long moving speech about fulfilling it :v:

Toalpaz posted:

But yeah do what you want. I think you really need to get through the first 2 arcs and the act 1 of arc 3 to really reap the rewards of a lot of the early characterization.
I agree with this. Subaru in particular takes a bit to shed his 'wannabe protagonist' jackassery and while doing so also stays alive long enough for the rest of the cast to get some decent characterization going on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I like Subaru, warts and all. He's by no means a perfect person, but he's a good kid at heart and the story is all about him confronting his mistakes and growing from them. Return By Death is even the ultimate guilt plot device - every time a loop closes, he alone knows he could've done better. While everyone praises him as a hero, he alone knows that not only did he cheat, but that things could've turned out better had he tried harder.

Ytlaya posted:

I think the romances are pretty believable in how straightforward they are. To me it feels that media has sort of conditioned audiences in regards to their expectations of what a good romance looks like, which is mainly tied to inter-character chemistry, when the truth is that people are irrational creatures that get together sometimes just because, and bonds build from there through shared experience.

Subaru develops an instant-crush on Emilia because she's a cutie that's totally his type, who helps him out when he's lost all alone, and the stresses of their situation turns it into a near obsession before he actually tries to address her as a person, and by then he's committed.

Rem has her entire world absolutely rocked by this mysterious stranger, who she knows only accidentally managed to reach through to her and allow her to start unpacking a decade of pent up guilt, and she's smart and perceptive enough to know he's got his issues, but she doesn't care. You could argue that hero worship isn't a good or healthy starting point for a romance (and Subaru would agree), but Rem really doesn't care. She's going for it. Subaru's response is rejection, and even then she doesn't care. She's overwhelming.

And for Emilia, she's young and Subaru is essentially the only boy her age in her life, who is nice to her and she finds fun and clever and courageous (if foolhardy), but even then she only very hesitantly considers returning his obvious affections - not because she dislikes him, but because of her circumstances combined being understandably wary of his and the effect she feels she has on him.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

I like Subaru, warts and all. He's by no means a perfect person, but he's a good kid at heart and the story is all about him confronting his mistakes and growing from them. Return By Death is even the ultimate guilt plot device - every time a loop closes, he alone knows he could've done better. While everyone praises him as a hero, he alone knows that not only did he cheat, but that things could've turned out better had he tried harder.

I think the romances are pretty believable in how straightforward they are. To me it feels that media has sort of conditioned audiences in regards to their expectations of what a good romance looks like, which is mainly tied to inter-character chemistry, when the truth is that people are irrational creatures that get together sometimes just because, and bonds build from there through shared experience.

Subaru develops an instant-crush on Emilia because she's a cutie that's totally his type, who helps him out when he's lost all alone, and the stresses of their situation turns it into a near obsession before he actually tries to address her as a person, and by then he's committed.

Rem has her entire world absolutely rocked by this mysterious stranger, who she knows only accidentally managed to reach through to her and allow her to start unpacking a decade of pent up guilt, and she's smart and perceptive enough to know he's got his issues, but she doesn't care. You could argue that hero worship isn't a good or healthy starting point for a romance (and Subaru would agree), but Rem really doesn't care. She's going for it. Subaru's response is rejection, and even then she doesn't care. She's overwhelming.

And for Emilia, she's young and Subaru is essentially the only boy her age in her life, who is nice to her and she finds fun and clever and courageous (if foolhardy), but even then she only very hesitantly considers returning his obvious affections - not because she dislikes him, but because of her circumstances combined being understandably wary of his and the effect she feels she has on him.
:goodshit:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 14, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

You're really gonna like season 2 then. :lewis:

I've read arc 4 (it's why I like Emilia more as a character*). I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of stuff animated. Arc 4 is super good.

* though Arc 4 actually makes me like her less as a romance - a lot of Emilia's behavior suddenly makes a lot more sense once you realize that she's a 14 year old (I think that's her mental age) in the body of an 18 year old, but it also makes Subaru romancing her kinda messed up (even though he obviously had no way of knowing that when he first met her).

Conspiratiorist posted:

Rem having feelings for Subaru makes perfect sense and is entirely believable, but in general I personally dislike romances that are founded upon someone being some sort of savior figure. And while you can argue "but Rem actually does the fighting and sorta 'saved' Subaru in some fashion through her words" that still has no bearing on what made her develop feelings.

My personal preference for fictional romances are ones where the romance forms as a result of the characters having genuine social chemistry and shared interests, rather than there being specific events that motivated them to fall in love. A good example (from a romance with a male protagonist) is the romance in "Ookami shounen wa kyou mo uso wo kasaneru" (this is much more common in manga/manhwa with female protagonists).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Conspiratiorist posted:

Subaru's response is rejection, and even then she doesn't care. She's overwhelming.
This is my beef with Rem and her relationship. This sort of one-sided devotion isn't healthy and typically ends poorly for everyone involved.

Also it reminds me too much of the 'unwanted harem' setup that I am thoroughly sick of after experiencing Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo! and Love Hina.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

This is my beef with Rem and her relationship. This sort of one-sided devotion isn't healthy and typically ends poorly for everyone involved.

Also it reminds me too much of the 'unwanted harem' setup that I am thoroughly sick of after experiencing Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo! and Love Hina.
And yet she is currently one of the most beloved waifus of the late Heisei era! Those rabid fans burned down a NTR artist's home for fucks sake!
Suffice to say, I'm going to enjoooooy all the enooooormous salt and ruuuuude awakening from those goons when the new season kicks off. :kheldragar:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EponymousMrYar posted:

Drama is rarely about healthy relationships.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Oh, it's very much not healthy at all, but it's acknowledged as such in-universe and by the people involved rather than just given a complete pass, so I give it points for that, as well for the fact that it does lead to a relatable ongoing relationship conflict between Emilia and Subaru that's realistically impossible to resolve.

At the same time I find myself rooting for Rem. She's been through a lot, and now she's finally trying to pursue happiness for herself - perhaps not in the best way, or with the best candidate, but Subaru is still a good boy who's able to understand her and deal with her eccentricities (the opposite also being true), so if they had met each other in better circumstances they'd inarguably be a pretty good match. The IF stories even show that they work things out and the result is so saccharine it's a borderline diabetic risk. Also, unsurprisingly, they're pretty bad parents. With how much effort she puts in, I think it's hard not to feel for her.

ED: IIRC Nagatsuki once said that had Subaru not been isekai'd, his parents would've eventually strong-armed him back to school, where he'd have hooked up with and eventually married an underclassman with a personality much like Rem's.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 14, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

It does lead to a relatable ongoing relationship conflict between Emilia and Subaru that's realistically impossible to resolve.
Do you think that can get fixed after Rem comes back whenever arc 6 ends? They have to advance their relationship somehow.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Best Girl Satella wins in the end.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Grouchio posted:

Suffice to say, I'm going to enjoooooy all the enooooormous salt and ruuuuude awakening from those goons when the new season kicks off. :kheldragar:

:allears:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh, it's very much not healthy at all, but it's acknowledged as such in-universe and by the people involved rather than just given a complete pass, so I give it points for that, as well for the fact that it does lead to a relatable ongoing relationship conflict between Emilia and Subaru that's realistically impossible to resolve.

At the same time I find myself rooting for Rem. She's been through a lot, and now she's finally trying to pursue happiness for herself - perhaps not in the best way, or with the best candidate, but Subaru is still a good boy who's able to understand her and deal with her eccentricities (the opposite also being true), so if they had met each other in better circumstances they'd inarguably be a pretty good match. The IF stories even show that they work things out and the result is so saccharine it's a borderline diabetic risk. Also, unsurprisingly, they're pretty bad parents. With how much effort she puts in, I think it's hard not to feel for her.

ED: IIRC Nagatsuki once said that had Subaru not been isekai'd, his parents would've eventually strong-armed him back to school, where he'd have hooked up with and eventually married an underclassman with a personality much like Rem's.

I feel like the best result for Rem (and honestly also Emilia) is just getting to live a normal-ish life where they actually have the opportunity to meet other people. Both are in situations where they effectively don't have any other options - Emilia because the world hates her appearance (which conveniently is completely normal and fine to our protagonist, so from her perspective he's literally "the only person who would have her") and Rem because she was a live-in maid with low self-esteem who is now unhealthily emotionally bound to Subaru.

The only actually compelling Subaru pair-up is Subaru x Julius.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Toalpaz posted:

Yeah you aren't supposed to like subaru, you are generally supposed to be interested in the world and the mystery and the characters subaru meets. To be clear, the show wants you to think he's an overconfident jackass in over his head. Your reading isn't wrong.

i feel like I could like that stuff if subaru wasn't there annoying the poo poo out of me constantly. I'm probably gonna try to stick through it till early season 2 cause some of the plot points mentioned seem interesting, and hopefully subaru changes at least a little and becomes less annoying to me

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The end of season one felt conclusive, but Subaru's character arc isn't nearly complete.

And for those interested the only additions in director's cut episode 3 would be elongated shots.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I finished the first season recently through watching the dub on Crunchyroll. I had it on in the background some of the time so I might have missed this, but does it ever explain, in that season or potentially a later one, why Emilia gives Subaru the witch’s name as hers the first time they met?

Also I liked the show, but I never really thought Subaru’s character made sense. Why was this shut in the most personable and friendly person in the world?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

She gives him the name satella as a test of how he would react, since she's used to being shunned for looking like the jealous witch and this guy is behaving as if he has no idea she bears that resemblance. I always read it as her going "maybe he just hasn't noticed, and as soon as he does he's going to get mad at me, better just spell it out for him and rip that bandaid while I'm still prepared for it" and Subaru's response to emilia saying "my name is adolf hitler" was a straight faced "nice to meet you Adolf! I hope we can become good friends"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I finished the first season recently through watching the dub on Crunchyroll. I had it on in the background some of the time so I might have missed this, but does it ever explain, in that season or potentially a later one, why Emilia gives Subaru the witch’s name as hers the first time they met?

An explanation could be as a further test: Unlike everyone else in the world he does not shun her for looking like the witch, and if he does not react to the witch's name he must either be fearless or really not know about her.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Alternatively considering how she and everyone reacts to him after the first loop, there was some capital-S Shenanigans going on. (I'm pretty sure she told him her name was Satella in a public place and there was no reaction from the crowd.)

I haven't read the LN but IIRC in the Anime it's left ambiguous.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would not be surprised if it was just the witch loving around with things.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Alternatively considering how she and everyone reacts to him after the first loop, there was some capital-S Shenanigans going on. (I'm pretty sure she told him her name was Satella in a public place and there was no reaction from the crowd.)

in anime it's like, on a loving balcony or some poo poo. it was reasonably private. also, her cat spirit thing whose name i forget reacted to it too (shocked -> "you have poor taste" after subaru doesn't react)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

It will never stop being hilarious to me that later on Subaru gets roughed up for sticking up for Emilia when her candidacy is announced, yet when he yells "Satella" at her the crowd reacts in sheer horror. Oh fantasy racism, you are too real.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Also I liked the show, but I never really thought Subaru’s character made sense. Why was this shut in the most personable and friendly person in the world?

There's an interesting backstory to Subaru's personality, so I'll just say we'll get into this a lot more in Season 2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Conspiratiorist posted:

The resolution of Rem's arc (in the anime, I haven't read the LNs) is also basically "I love you but I'm not going to settle for second place and neither are you," in contrast to, and as a result of processing and starting to outgrow, her earlier hero worship-based crush.

The whole show is a male fantasy but as fantasies go, "self-respect is hot" isn't really that offensive. :v:

e: oh yeah almost forgot the actual reason I came in here -- are there any major changes in episode 4?

e2: ehh, on rewatch, I think I forgot how much Rem fawns over Subaru even after the rooftop chat. guess we'll see what happens next v:shobon:v

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 27, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: oh yeah almost forgot the actual reason I came in here -- are there any major changes in episode 4?
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/esdkrh/rezero_starting_life_in_another_world_directors/ff9duew/?context=3

Mostly shot edits. Changes should pick up in episode 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Episode 5 changes: A completely new version of Styx Helix plays as the Ending Theme.

Also Emilia and Megumin talked to each other this week in Quartet.