Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I got this one a few months ago and I love it, though I'm holding off on really raving about it because I've heard some people have the buttons stick on it after awhile. Big highlight for me is that they recreated the SNES d-pad on it, which feels just as great as I remember.

Yeah, I got the SN30 Pro -- the one in the form factor and colors of an SNES pad -- and I really like it. It fits my hands well and it rarely seems to send presses I didn't intend. My brain does tend to go "oh, yeah, A is the button on the right, right?" but I'm overcoming that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SelenicMartian posted:

The last act transition of Origins is hilarious.
After hours of Natural Born Killers loving their way through revenge murders and accidentally helping people, the story throws a sea battle, a Julius Caesar, two elephants, a chariot chase, and a poo poo ton of historical references at you in the span of one-two hours.

And those loving faces

I say this all the time but the entire actual plot of AC Origins happens in literally two cutscenes near the end of the game. It's bizarre and makes me feel like there was an entire second map with Aya that just got cut.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ubisoft's making a new Might and Magic game!

It's a battle royale autochess

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I admit, got my hopes up for a second there.
Seriously, how hard can it be to do a modern day HoMaM that works?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The last one people actually liked was V, the Nival one, right?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

gently caress you for delivering this news in the worst possible way :mad:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i'll throw in for DS4 as controller of choice. my wife has had a PS4 since launch, and i use them for my PC all the time, and we've only had to replace one. they're also more comfortable than bone pads, but that's preference. also never had much issue getting it to work with anything, even non Steam games and emulators through DS4Windows. the only real issue is that some games, especially stuff from the 360 era, doesn't have support for onscreen PS buttons, which makes games with QTEs really drat hard if you're like me and have no idea what xbox buttons map to which sony ones. sometimes this is fixable, sometimes it's not. it's only really a problem for action games.

i also really like the basic wired Switch controllers, but they aren't as compatible with outside Steam stuff and seem to run into the no native onscreen prompt support issue even more.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

The few changes I saw, like the new on-foot weapons and SP only recharging on drops, all felt like big changes for the worse, and I really couldn't stand the music.

Fair enough, I did play them months or more apart so maybe I didn't notice any obvious changes like that.

Hwurmp posted:

is Kanna the melon lady

Yep.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

i'll throw in for DS4 as controller of choice. my wife has had a PS4 since launch, and i use them for my PC all the time, and we've only had to replace one. they're also more comfortable than bone pads, but that's preference. also never had much issue getting it to work with anything, even non Steam games and emulators through DS4Windows. the only real issue is that some games, especially stuff from the 360 era, doesn't have support for onscreen PS buttons, which makes games with QTEs really drat hard if you're like me and have no idea what xbox buttons map to which sony ones. sometimes this is fixable, sometimes it's not. it's only really a problem for action games.

i also really like the basic wired Switch controllers, but they aren't as compatible with outside Steam stuff and seem to run into the no native onscreen prompt support issue even more.

You can use Steam's controller support with non-Steam games by launching the games through Steam. Fist add them to Steam using the "+ Add A Game" in the bottom left of the library. Works for any controller Steam supports.

I like the PS4 controller as well. Haven't had any break of the 3 I have: one each for the PS4, PC, and Switch. The only controller I've managed to break is the Switch Pro, broke the left stick and also did a number on my left thumb - leading to the realization that one reason I like the PS4 controller so much is that it has both sticks aligned in the lower part of the controller which I find more comfortable than having the left stick raised.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I admit, got my hopes up for a second there.
Seriously, how hard can it be to do a modern day HoMaM that works?

They put out a full fledged Might and Magic game in 2014, which isn’t too bad for a series as old as dirt. Heroes of Might and Magic could probably use a new entry, too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is that a sexy pot plant

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I figured the first sight of her would be enough to get at least one person to refund the game out of embarrassment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A good poster posted:

I figured the first sight of her would be enough to get at least one person to refund the game out of embarrassment.
and another two horny people to buy it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

is that a sexy pot plant

Is there any other kind

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

you vastly overestimate the average gamer

much likelier it drove sales

e :

The 7th Guest posted:

and another two horny people to buy it

gently caress, beaten

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I wish for immortality. Not to take over the world or anything, but so I can continue playing all these good games. Jeez louise.

Siralim 3 took a while to get going (very complex monster catching game, but takes too long to introduce the mechanics I think). I'm having more fun with it. Some people have set up truly disgusting macro (think FF gambits)/monster compositions for tavern brawls when fighting their AI team versions that you can battle.

Hey, tried EDF 5 remote play with a friend who owns the game. It's pretty darn awesome. I'm thinking about my own copy, but that split-screen feature is great.

Also Playing Grim Dawn again because I now have all the expansions and love the writing/world. That's my story ARPG. Path of Exile too when I'm feeling like reading the lore.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

9/10 Inti Creates games are really good games. But they're all 100% anime. And that 1/10 is anime as all anihell.

Actually their Bloodstained "prequel" is only as anime as Bloodstained+edge and Blaster Master 2 posted here is well-received (different, more controversial but higher ceiling battle system though) but there's always exceptions of course.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HopperUK posted:

It is very important to note that sometimes in Eastshade, an NPC will ask you to paint them a picture to hang in their house, and then THEY DO IT. They put the picture in their house.

Eastshade owns. The one thing I would suggest to new players though is to buy the coat and the bike as soon as you can. It's such a quaint little game and I wish there were more like it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Atelier Dusk Trilogy is out on steam, and it's the DX edition with all the tweaks and improvements that weren't in the original game. I need to finish Sophie before I pick it up, but as I understand it, the Dusk Trilogy is one of the best starting points for the entire franchise. Each game in the trilogy is mostly standalone, but set in the same slowly dying world.

e: Let me be clear about what this game is: Chill item-focused jrpg that is slice of life in a slowly dying world, with a melancholy feel. I've never heard of anything like it. Most apocalypse fiction is about traumatic events or how to rebuild society, not quietly watching the world die.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 14, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Bakery Simulator is going to be so good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SIGQSgifs6s

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
Just because controller chat happened i want to remind everyone you can buy modern saturn pads for 25 dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Of...78993107&sr=8-4

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
In Humble Choice, are you supposed to wait until the end of the month to select the games you want? If you only get to select them at the end of the month, is there a timeout window for that?

I figured I'd be able to select them now, and they would unlock at the end of the month, but the only option I'm getting is to pay now to unlock them now.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell, the model they're using is similar to old Humble Monthly in that you get billed on the last Friday of the month and that lets you make your choices, though you can pay early to choose early.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

The last one people actually liked was V, the Nival one, right?
Yeah, and it was good - the trouble is its expansions, while providing much-needed patches and fixes, also revamped the mechanics which retroactively affected the campaigns making some missions straight-up unwinnable, and that is in addition to being a buggy mess where some (both old and new) mechanics straight up don't work.
Basically if you want a good HoMM experience, you've still got to go back to 3.

Fallom posted:

They put out a full fledged Might and Magic game in 2014, which isn’t too bad for a series as old as dirt. Heroes of Might and Magic could probably use a new entry, too.
I freely admit it didn't occur to me that Might and Magic X could possibly be any good. Is it?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 14, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Det_no posted:

Bakery Simulator is going to be so good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SIGQSgifs6s

I watched this and I still have no idea whether this is a video about an actual research paper or a tongue-in-cheek ad for a baking game. It's the former, of course.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
That picture reminds me of mischief makers on the N64. Anyone remember that game? I always thought it was super weird.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

For a while in the 2000’s a decent stick of RAM was basically something you’d find in a box of cracker jacks. Then the price spiked a few years ago, but the 32 GB I slapped in my laptop cost me like... 60-80 bucks last summer? 2 bucks a gig still kind of blows my mind.
RAM prices have always been pretty cyclical, but since 2011, East Asia has been getting hit by a bunch of environmental catastrophes such as floodings and earthquakes that have hit the high-tech industry particularly hard and made the high points of those cycles much higher they usually are. Manufacturers were just not capable of fulfilling the demands at the usual price points for articles where the stock ran out. Currently, the RAM price per megabyte is about the cheapest it has ever been, though.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So thanks to everyone who responded to my question regarding controller for Steam Link usage. I've been gaming purely with M&K all my life, so I have some additional questions regarding the best controller to get:

1. There are some games which has only 1 type of button prompts only, eg Nioh with X360 only. So mapping buttons etc is a pain. Is this the norm?

2. Last time I've read on controllers, you have to use DS4ForWindows to get the PS4 controller to even be recognized, while Xbox controller is plug n play. Is this still the case?

3. If I want to play BotW on Dolphin for example, which controller would be the most functional?

Thanks in advance.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

The xbox one controller is good but it's pretty pricey once you add it all up.
controller + play and charge kit + usb wifi dongle

the advantage is that it just works and you can reuse the dongle and the play and charge kit when it dies. the disadvantage is that after you buy all that it's like $100. You need the play and charge kit because it wont work with regular rechargeable batteries. you cannot use the usb charging cable to play, you must use wifi over the dongle.

I bought a PDP controller because it was 1/3rd the price but it died after 6 months and was less comfortable and it was considerably louder. it did have way more RGB's all over it however.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Atelier Dusk Trilogy is out on steam, and it's the DX edition with all the tweaks and improvements that weren't in the original game. I need to finish Sophie before I pick it up, but as I understand it, the Dusk Trilogy is one of the best starting points for the entire franchise. Each game in the trilogy is mostly standalone, but set in the same slowly dying world.

e: Let me be clear about what this game is: Chill item-focused jrpg that is slice of life in a slowly dying world, with a melancholy feel. I've never heard of anything like it. Most apocalypse fiction is about traumatic events or how to rebuild society, not quietly watching the world die.

Atelier is a series I've always wanted to check out but then panic about which one to start with and then end up buying something else. Repeat endlessly. I've heard Ryza's real good and the Dusk Trilogy is good too. Maybe if I stick it at the top of my wanted list and not deviate.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Steam recognizes DS4 and Switch Pro Controllers by itself, and you can add other programs/games to your Steam Library and run them through Steam to skip having to run third-party software to get the controller to work, AFAIK.

A lot of PC games are going to assume the X360 controller, especially ones from between like 2008-2015 or so IIRC, and will have button prompts match the 360 controller. As someone who has never owned an XBox or XBox controller (although I have a couple of Logitech XInput gamepads I use occasionally) and grew up playing console games on the NES and SNES, this has a tendency to trip me up, due to my muscle memory tending to assume all the buttons are in the wrong places. I would especially advise against using a Switch controller for Steam stuff, because the face buttons are just similar enough to trip you up. Using DualShocks on Steam caused me less trouble, due to having a completely different set of face buttons and the default Sony control scheme being similar to what PC games expect from a 360 controller (bottom button = confirm, right button = cancel, etc).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Philman posted:

The xbox one controller is good but it's pretty pricey once you add it all up.
controller + play and charge kit + usb wifi dongle

the advantage is that it just works and you can reuse the dongle and the play and charge kit when it dies. the disadvantage is that after you buy all that it's like $100. You need the play and charge kit because it wont work with regular rechargeable batteries. you cannot use the usb charging cable to play, you must use wifi over the dongle.

:confused:

(a) Rechargeable AAs work fine, at least quality ones do. I use eneloops in mine.
(b) The wireless adapter isn't required anymore since newer XB1 pads have Bluetooth
(c) XB1 pads always supported wired connections over USB

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Irritated Goat posted:

Atelier is a series I've always wanted to check out but then panic about which one to start with and then end up buying something else. Repeat endlessly. I've heard Ryza's real good and the Dusk Trilogy is good too. Maybe if I stick it at the top of my wanted list and not deviate.

I started with Sophie because it was cheap, has no time limit, and is first of its respective trilogy...and now I'm in love and want more. Hence me being excited about Dusk! Gonna pick it up when I finish up the character events in Sophie and smash the final boss.

That said, Dusk has been recommended by the atelier series guide as one of the best starting points, period. It's self-contained, has the best semi-serious plot (still slice of life tho) and while it has a time limit, it's not difficult like the Arland games can be.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

repiv posted:

:confused:

(a) Rechargeable AAs work fine, at least quality ones do. I use eneloops in mine.
(b) The wireless adapter isn't required anymore since newer XB1 pads have Bluetooth
(c) XB1 pads always supported wired connections over USB

I have some which dont work they are energizer brand. I found some articles that said that they lose charge differently than non-rechargeable ones and the play and charge kit has a controller in it to resolve that.

my motherboard didn't have Bluetooth so I bought the dongle.

I didn't think that you could get it to work over USB. I thought i read that somewhere.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Commander Keene posted:

Steam recognizes DS4 and Switch Pro Controllers by itself, and you can add other programs/games to your Steam Library and run them through Steam to skip having to run third-party software to get the controller to work, AFAIK.
You might not even need to do that. Steam habitually hijacks my 360 controller whenever it is running and starts doing poo poo like making me control the mouse with it even though I really very much don't want it to. Going by that experience, it is likely that Steam would just make them usable for whatever if you try using them on a computer that has the client active.

On the other end of that spectrum, I am having no end of trouble using my recently purchased Steam controller (which is equal parts a massive pain to use and really, really good when it does work right) with any game that it not natively part of Steam because manually hitching it up to Steam will still not let me control my Steam Controller settings properly even though Steam claims that this should be all it takes to make the Steam Overlay apply to a game and allow the unique functions of the Steam Controller to work. If you are really unlucky and it turns out that Steam does not hijack DS4 controller the way it does my 360 and you actually need to launch the game through Steam first, then it might turn out that is not enough to make a non-Steam game work properly with it.

Long story short, trying to use a non-360 controller is kind of a crapshot no matter how you approach it. If you have the choice and want to play games Steam does not natively support with it, I would recommend just getting something else.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

I freely admit it didn't occur to me that Might and Magic X could possibly be any good. Is it?
I heard it's okay, but it's set in the new universe the later HoMM games and Dark Messiah are, so there's zero sci-fi to be found, unlike the earlier Might and Magic games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It actually re-intrudoces some of the old better setting to the new bland one. Like, Aliens and sci-fi get several mentions. I think they even namedrop Sheltem.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Upon reflection, I realized many of the ARPGs I like have a warden in them.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got a pretty neat-looking twin-stick shooter from the developer called Devader that seems to have passed well under the radar. Turns out it wasn't just neat-looking, 'cause it has some pretty wild bosses in it. And there's a free demo if you want to see what I'm talking about!

It’s hard to make a twin-stick arcade shooter worth sticking with, honestly. I talked about it a bit when I tried Tesla vs. Lovecraft, how the game feel and sense of power are so key to making the experience worth sticking with. Beyond that, though, you can get a lot of mileage out of unique elements like combat mechanics and foes. Devader has a solid basis for its action, and some neat options for upgrades added to spice things up a bit. But it’s the enemies that really steal the show here, from the nigh-countless hordes of mechanical walkers to the massive, spidery crawler to the unfathomable projections of primal force. It’s one of the few arena shooters I’ve stuck with just to see what it could possibly throw at me in later levels, because the scope of these creatures can get plenty wild.

All that remains of an advanced alien civilization lies locked away in a cluster of hexagonal vaults. Your ship answers an automated distress call from the site to find the Krin, a mysterious alien force, bearing down on this final bastion. Fortunately you came prepared, deploying your heavily-armed Devader unit to the surface to ward off the attack. You’ll have access to all kinds of weaponry, turrets, bombs, and more in your struggle, and you’re going to need every bit of kit you can find. The Krin are swift, relentless, and bewilderingly varied in their approaches to destruction. Survive long enough and you’ll get access to powers that can devastate whole armies, just in time to have unearthly armies bearing down on you.

From the moment you touch down on the planet, you’ll be beset by countless foes appearing from everywhere. The arena is always the same, a barren patch of land marked in the center by the mysterious core. It’s your job to wipe out the invaders before they destroy the entire core, across 49 waves of potential annihilation. Every seven or eight waves you’ll get a little respite to add skill points to your build an unlock a new power, all the way up to the final engagements. This one consideration, introducing new abilities consistently through the game, does a lot to keep motivation high as the battles get trickier. They’re really neat powers, too, like choices between tactical nukes or EMP blasts, assault drones or shield units, or giant glowing balls of destruction or healing.

Devader also doesn’t want you to get confused in the face of all these build options, so it helpfully describes everything offered to you and even lets you know which choices are good for novices or experts. By the end of the game you’ll have multiple guns, missiles, drones, deployables, and battlefield features to keep track of, so the detailed tutorial text is a welcome sight. The game can get pretty messy visually as well, much in the way something like SYNTHETIK does with its garish colors, blast marks, particle effects, and so on. Thankfully the controls are tight and responsive, and your targeting reticle is bigger and more garish than anything else. Threats tend to be pretty clearly telegraphed, especially during the more bullet-helly segments, which is another plus.

As solid as the gameplay mechanics are, though, it’s the enemies that are the real highlight of Devader. You’re starting out with a pretty interesting look anyway, with the hexagonal core and the chunky machine you’re piloting. Early enemies are mostly mechanical spider-walker things in huge numbers, but your foes are going to get very weird very fast. You might see colored balls pouring into the arena only for them to sprout dozens of legs and start skittering around. Ominous segmented creatures will fall from the sky, spewing dense patterns of starry energy. Sentient black holes, massive energy rings, and screen-filling amalgamations of tentacles are all enemies you might face if you get far enough into the waves. There’s an almost Evangelion quality to foes, especially bosses, where you may be left wondering how these creatures could function or even exist, and marvel at their bizarre nature as they take action against you.

Beyond the creativity of the enemies and some of your upgrade options, Devader is a pretty standard twin-stick game. The waves are randomized a bit but a good run will take you less than an hour to run through, leaving little but the different difficulty levels to challenge you. Seeing new monsters and trying new builds is certainly fun, but longevity may be an issue here if discovery isn’t enough of a motivator. Still, I can’t easily dismiss a game with such neat foes and solid gameplay, and neither should you. For intense action and spectacle, Devader is one of the better arena shooters out there, and is definitely worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is the Mega Man X Legacy collection a good set of ports on steam? I see some reviews complaining about input lag, but I'm wondering if it'll even be noticeable to someone who is Bad At Video Games™ like me.