Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

We already have a perfect film version of Blade, all further Blades are unnecessary.

Honestly I'm surprised it's been this long without a Blade reboot. That probably shows you how iconic Snipes was in those movies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm glad Antonio Banderas got nominated even though he isn't going to win. gently caress, I loved Pain and Glory. I thought it was great right after seeing it but my appreciation for it and his performance has grown even more over time. Yeah, Phoenix is great too of course, but I'm always happy when a more understated performance gets attention.

Anyway, which Almodovar should I watch next? I've only seen various parts of Volver, so I guess I should finish that at some point.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm glad Antonio Banderas got nominated even though he isn't going to win. gently caress, I loved Pain and Glory. I thought it was great right after seeing it but my appreciation for it and his performance has grown even more over time. Yeah, Phoenix is great too of course, but I'm always happy when a more understated performance gets attention.

Anyway, which Almodovar should I watch next? I've only seen various parts of Volver, so I guess I should finish that at some point.

If you like Banderas, The Skin I Live In and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown are both tremendous. It's funny, You grow up watching Banderas in Hollywood action comedies and you think that's all he can do, but when you see him in an Almodovar movie it turns out he's one of the greatest actors working today.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

pospysyl posted:

If you like Banderas, The Skin I Live In and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown are both tremendous. It's funny, You grow up watching Banderas in Hollywood action comedies and you think that's all he can do, but when you see him in an Almodovar movie it turns out he's one of the greatest actors working today.

Yeah, I've been meaning to check out Women on the Verge for a long time. It doesn't look like any of his movies are on the usual streaming sites, at least not that I can see, which is kind of annoying.

And yeah, I've pretty much only seen Banderas in various action movies and Spy Kids. I knew he was in some movies that were actually good but I'd never seen any of them. Well, I thought Desperado was great when I was 12 but I'm not sure I'd have the same opinion nowadays.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Disney will make up their own awards show in a couple years. Mark my words.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Women on the Verge is a great introduction. If you want his dark melodramas, then Tie Me Up Tie Me Down is peak Banderas (he’s on record as saying it’s his favorite role he’s done). If you want stuff that’s tonally closer to Pain & Glory, then you want All About My Mother and Bad Education and The Flower of My Secret.

If you look up the recent showcase Criterion Channel did a few months ago, in September I think, it’s a solid 8 films. It’s how I got into him and now I’d say he’s an all-time favorite.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 14, 2020

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CPL593H posted:

mother! Is one of those recent movies where I was thinking "How the hell did this not get an NC-17.

I thought of Kristen Stewart, but I wanted to avoid the shame of not having seen any of her real movies.

Personal Shopper and Clouds of Sils Maria are genuinely great and I would recommend them. She was hands down the most entertaining part of Charlie's Angels, was great in American Ultra, and was a solid Joan Jett in The Runaways.

Oh, and she was good as not-Ripley/not-Sandra Bullock/not-Thomas Jane in Underwater

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Disney will make up their own awards show in a couple years. Mark my words.

why make your own when you can just buy all the studios

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sir Ian McKellen posted:

It can be surprisingly tiring in heavy robes twisting and turning even only on the spot, stabbing and slicing the air as a sedentary director watching a TV monitor of the action a few yards away shouts encouragement "More vicious! Behind You! Again - hit him again! It's an effort! It's exhausting! One last effort!" Then blessedly after a couple of minutes when my arms feel they are about to drop off, it's "Excellent Ian! Alright?" as Peter levers himself up from the reinforced armchair (built years back for a visit from Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News) and hurries to shake my hand. "And that is a wrap on Ian McKellen!"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hahahaha gently caress

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Oofda

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I'm surprised it's been this long without a Blade reboot. That probably shows you how iconic Snipes was in those movies though.

* psst! *

... it's 'cause he's black!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/MsKathyBates/status/1216778724609126405

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's probably because he would be harder to fit in the MCU. Like, even in the comics I don't think Blade has ever been an Avenger. Or if he was it was for a short, vampire-focused time. He's usally off in his own corner of the universe, having crossovers with street level heroes like Spiderman and Daredevil or doing his own thing.

Now the MCU is broad enough that they can do like a Nighstalkers movie or whatever and have them show up in the big New Avengers crossover because Dr. Strange called them or whatever

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

* psst! *

... it's 'cause he's black!

No, I genuinely do think it's Snipes. Snipes became such an iconic Blade that he literally refers to himself as Blade in the third person on Twitter, and the original attempt at recasting him in Blade: The Series went over like a lead balloon and nobody liked Sticky Fingaz in the role.

It seems pretty obvious that Disney's takeaway was "if you come at Snipes you best not miss."

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Snipes was already played Blade last year on What We Do in the Shadows

It was the laziest portrayal ever, and it was great

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, I genuinely do think it's Snipes. Snipes became such an iconic Blade that he literally refers to himself as Blade in the third person on Twitter, and the original attempt at recasting him in Blade: The Series went over like a lead balloon and nobody liked Sticky Fingaz in the role.

It seems pretty obvious that Disney's takeaway was "if you come at Snipes you best not miss."

I don't think it's Wesley Snipe's fault there hasn't been a wide release cool black action movie for a while

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I think it's probably because he would be harder to fit in the MCU. Like, even in the comics I don't think Blade has ever been an Avenger. Or if he was it was for a short, vampire-focused time. He's usally off in his own corner of the universe, having crossovers with street level heroes like Spiderman and Daredevil or doing his own thing.

Now the MCU is broad enough that they can do like a Nighstalkers movie or whatever and have them show up in the big New Avengers crossover because Dr. Strange called them or whatever

He's an Avenger in the current run, and he was part of The Mighty Avengers, which was a minority focused group, had Luke Cage, Blue Marvel (Superman, but a Black guy), Photon (Monica Rambeau, went by Captain Marvel in the 80's and briefly lead the main Avenger's team (Carol's best friend's daughter in the Captain Marvel film), evil Spider-Man, She-Hulk and probably some other's I'm forgetting.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Wait, why She-Hulk?

I mean, why not She-Hulk, but why is she in a minority-focused team?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, why She-Hulk?

I mean, why not She-Hulk, but why is she in a minority-focused team?

They needed a lawyer and Matt was in SF at the time. And in universe it wasn't created to be minority focused, that's a behind the scenes/fourth wall thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That makes sense, thanks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't think it's Wesley Snipe's fault there hasn't been a wide release cool black action movie for a while

That wasn't really the question, though (and also, there's been a few- the Equalizer movies, Proud Mary, The First Purge)

The question was why Blade specifically got put on ice for so long, and no, I'm pretty sure that's because they've been afraid to compete with the Snipes version

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That wasn't really the question, though (and also, there's been a few- the Equalizer movies, Proud Mary, The First Purge)

The question was why Blade specifically got put on ice for so long, and no, I'm pretty sure that's because they've been afraid to compete with the Snipes version

The First Purge was pretty cool

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sad to say, nobody gives a poo poo about Snipes-blade. Marvel has had the blade film rights since 2012, three years after the company was bought by Disney, which easily gives it the most disproportionate ability to "compete" with a trilogy of films that were only ever modest box office successes for their budgets. The reason they waited until after Black Panther to announce that they were going to be "integrating" Blade into the MCU is because they were literally waiting to test whether or not a black-led blockbuster superhero movie could do Avengers numbers, not just B-tier action-horror flicks numbers.

It's because he's black. They will gladly fund Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, and Guardians of the Galaxy before even touching Blade because, in as obscure as those heroes are, Blade's mere blackness and adjacency to more 'urban' action cinema (as well as dyed-in-wool horror) makes him even more niche in their eyes. Let's even just take Blade Trinity out of the equation - the trepidation isn't over their ability to compete with a franchise that ended for most people almost two decades ago, now. They're just figuring out how to "Marvelize" the character.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

K. Waste posted:

Sad to say, nobody gives a poo poo about Snipes-blade. Marvel has had the blade film rights since 2012, three years after the company was bought by Disney, which easily gives it the most disproportionate ability to "compete" with a trilogy of films that were only ever modest box office successes for their budgets. The reason they waited until after Black Panther to announce that they were going to be "integrating" Blade into the MCU is because they were literally waiting to test whether or not a black-led blockbuster superhero movie could do Avengers numbers, not just B-tier action-horror flicks numbers.

It's because he's black. They will gladly fund Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, and Guardians of the Galaxy before even touching Blade because, in as obscure as those heroes are, Blade's mere blackness and adjacency to more 'urban' action cinema (as well as dyed-in-wool horror) makes him even more niche in their eyes. Let's even just take Blade Trinity out of the equation - the trepidation isn't over their ability to compete with a franchise that ended for most people almost two decades ago, now. They're just figuring out how to "Marvelize" the character.

From what I understand they're only doing Blade now because Mahershala kept calling them about it

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Here's what New Line Cinema's filmography was in the same years as Blade and Blade II:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember ditching school with some friends and going to see The Players Club at the theater. That was pretty fun.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I just looked up The Butterfly Effect, and found one of the production companies associated with it, BenderSpink, dissolved four years ago with one of the co-founders JC Spink dying of a drug overdose a year later. Pretty hosed up.

The other guy, Chris Bender, is now a producer for the upcoming Mulan movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Butterfly Effect is a trip. It's a terrible movie, but it came in at the absolute peak of people actually giving a poo poo about Ashton Kutcher and its central theme is that the main character is a cursed abomination and everyone around him would be better off if he'd strangled himself in the womb.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Night Flier should be added to the MCU.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

K. Waste posted:

Here's what New Line Cinema's filmography was in the same years as Blade and Blade II:

Jesus, LOTR really propped them up huh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blade: Trinity is the third Blade film, not the second.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pain and Glory was absolutely fantastic. A great film, top-tier Almodovar, and Banderas is sensational.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

K. Waste posted:

About the same ratio of quality films to awful ones as Marvel.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Fun fact, Blade has been an Avenger. As recently as a year or two ago, even, with Jason Aaron writing him, I believe.

He's been in quite a few team adventure books. He's a main character in Paul Cornell's Captain Britain, which is about a world war started by all of the MCU vampire characters, and Blade joins Captain Britain's team to help end the war.

Blade's been willing to be a team player since at least 2009.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kill All Cops posted:

Snipes was already played Blade last year on What We Do in the Shadows

It was the laziest portrayal ever, and it was great

That was easily the best episode of the season.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Even in the original stories from the 70s Blade is more often than not part of a team.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Franchescanado posted:

Fun fact, Blade has been an Avenger. As recently as a year or two ago, even, with Jason Aaron writing him, I believe.

He's been in quite a few team adventure books. He's a main character in Paul Cornell's Captain Britain, which is about a world war started by all of the MCU vampire characters, and Blade joins Captain Britain's team to help end the war.

Blade's been willing to be a team player since at least 2009.

I'm not saying he's not a team player, I'm just saying he's first and foremost a vampire slayer. So his teaming up with others primarily is focused on killing vampires. Like, if they're gonna put Blade in the MCU, he's going to be introduced in a situation where there are vampires to slay. Or at the very least some other kind of undead and/or classic monster type deal. He wasn't going to show up for the first time in Avengers 2 and be like, I'm Blade, the vampire slayer, let me help you kill these robots.

You gotta set him up in his element, and then once the character is established, you can be like, "remember me I'm Blade the guy who helped you kill some vampires, these current bad guys aren't vampires but I can still cut them with my sword"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That's pretty much what they did with Spiderman in Civil War tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I'm not saying he's not a team player, I'm just saying he's first and foremost a vampire slayer. So his teaming up with others primarily is focused on killing vampires. Like, if they're gonna put Blade in the MCU, he's going to be introduced in a situation where there are vampires to slay. Or at the very least some other kind of undead and/or classic monster type deal. He wasn't going to show up for the first time in Avengers 2 and be like, I'm Blade, the vampire slayer, let me help you kill these robots.

You gotta set him up in his element, and then once the character is established, you can be like, "remember me I'm Blade the guy who helped you kill some vampires, these current bad guys aren't vampires but I can still cut them with my sword"

Yeah, this is pretty much what every run that's been mentioned does.

This Morbius flick will probably mention Blade, even if in passing.