Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Into the Unknown got a best song nomination, which it's a good song but I feel like the Frozen 2 song that should've been nominated, even though it was a part of the worst thing about Frozen 2, is Kristoff's 80s love ballad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disney has to choose what song they want nominated and Into the Unknown was their chosen song, even prior to film release

Kristoff's song is also real bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Psshhh

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

By that logic, Klaus would have a decent chance since it was on Netflix over the holidays. They wouldn’t even have to leave their homes to take their kids to see it.

I'd be shocked if oscar voters pick a netflix movie, but in a good way

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My little niece got given (by the other Aunt and Uncle) a little microphone that you can sing into and elso it can do a karaoke thing where you sing along.

Except it's only "Into the Unknown". It seems very cruel that they don't include "Let it Go"

Also

We went to Teppanyaki in Epcot and our chef did the onion volcano thing while singing "Into the Onion"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lost in the Woods is a triple whammy of its not very engaging except as a parody, its thematically muddled, and the plot its attached to is such an afterthought in the film Christoph and Anna have maybe 5 minutes together in total screen time and theyre not even alone for those minutes.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Looper posted:

I'd be shocked if oscar voters pick a netflix movie, but in a good way

They might choose it just to seem hip and current, without having to give an Oscar in a “real” category.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Barudak posted:

Kristoff's song is also real bad.

Didn’t weezer ghost write that song? Or was that a weird dream I had?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Didn’t weezer ghost write that song? Or was that a weird dream I had?

They perform it over the end credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnEWs8D9zu8

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I just watched into the spiderverse for the first time. It's a very enjoyable and well written movie, but holy crap at those visuals. :suspense: Maybe it's the flu talking, but that was a trip.
That style they chose somehow allows everything to pop. :eyepop:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it’s real good.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Spiderverse is one of the only movies that I watched twice while it was still in theaters, it’s just that drat good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've lost count of how many times I've seen it. I get caught up in 'I'll just put it on for 10 mins', and then suddenly the credits are rolling.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My kid went through a spiderverse stage and I must have seen it 20 times and I never got sick of it. When Peter dies in the beginning it’s a real kick in the nuts.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

My kid went through a spiderverse stage and I must have seen it 20 times and I never got sick of it. When Peter dies in the beginning it’s a real kick in the nuts.

Yes this. You expect him to get up or show up later, but nope he dead. Is he the first spider man death on screen?

Other stuff I loved as I slowly process this movie:
- Giant black hole kingpin. It helps them play around with how big and/or menacing or normal he really is.
- tubby/failure/ realistic Peter's arc
- Gwanda, a perfect setup for Gwen.
- Doc Ocks tentacles. The way they moved and bulged making them seem air powered or something. It made them feel more real somehow.
- Somewhat connected, another Spider-Man sort of dies and it's handled in a perfect manner considering the circumstances.

I'd say the worst part is the Prowler reveal, why exactly did he need to take off his mask? Sure it was his home but, he was searching his home minutes before.
The banter was perfect.
And like I said, the style somehow allowed so many other styles to coexist and allowed all of them to somehow pop and fit in.

Really a grown up animated movie.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 14, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Darth TNT posted:

Yes this. You expect him to get up or show up later, but nope he dead. Is he the first spider man death on screen?

Other stuff I loved as I slowly process this movie:
- Giant black hole kingpin. It helps them play around with how big and/or menacing or normal he really is.
- tubby/failure/ realistic Peter's arc
- Gwanda, a perfect setup for Gwen.
- Doc Ocks tentacles. The way they moved and bulged making them seem air powered or something. It made them feel more real somehow.
- Somewhat connected, another Spider-Man sort of dies and it's handled in a perfect manner considering the circumstances.

I'd say the worst part is the Prowler reveal, why exactly did he need to take off his mask? Sure it was his home but, he was searching his home minutes before.
The banter was perfect.
And like I said, the style somehow allowed so many other styles to coexist and allowed all of them to somehow pop and fit in.

Really a grown up animated movie.

I liked the Kingpin trying to correct his biggest mistake, but doubling down at the worst possible second and ruining not only that version of himself, but the lives of every Wilson Fisk in the multiverse. Every variant of his family has now directly witnessed him trying to kill Spiderman right in front of them, even the version of him that are actually good people will be hit by that.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

You could argue the collider portal thing had a limited range, so at most maybe five kingpins are affected.

whoops, just in case anyone still cared

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just put the spoiler tag up because someone had only just got around to watching it, so there may be others lurking who haven't seen it yet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I'm looking forward to when my kid inevitably goes through that same stage so I can rewatch it a hundred times. Won't be for a while, mostly for the spoilered reason. Bit much for a little kid's first Spider-Man movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Surely it's Kingspin

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The goober thing makes it even sadder. At first, you think it's "Hobo" Peter being dismissive about the key having seen it all before, but then you hear Aunt May call it a Goober to and it kicks in that "Awesome" Peter likely called it a Goober too, but chose to use the direct name since he knew he wouldn't have the time or chance to explain the joke name to Miles.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Rather than having the good fortune of watching Spiderverse on repeat, I'm now finally getting around to seeing The Good Dinosaur. This movie is so weird that it almost wraps around to being good, but it kind of just falls short of being anything at all. No doubt largely due to all the changes in the creative team.

It's the only animated movie I've ever seen where the environments are so insanely realistic that the characters look greenscreened into their own movie. It feels like they have a totally different lighting model on them (maybe they do), and I actually had to go double check that I wasn't getting confused with Dinosaur which was indeed CGI creatures on real backgrounds.

Story-wise, it's a mess. A lot of threads just get dropped or don't end up being important. Arlo is motivated to get home before winter so he can help his mother, but when he does get home, she seems to already be done with everything. His siblings also end up being largely unnecessary characters. And they assert that he's finally worthy of "making his mark" but all he really did was get lost and then get back home. You could even go so far as to argue that the human character is unnecessary, although I guess that's getting into "Raiders would've played out the same way if Indiana Jones wasn't in it" territory, which somewhat misses the point.

Overall it has the makings of a nice detour from the manic pace and comedy of the usual kids' movie, it just needed some more story work... or perhaps less.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 15, 2020

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Good dinosaur is such a weird movie because you can tell there was a white board where someone wrote the central theme of the movie is "FEAR" and it's kinda like inside out was about sadness, like teaching the kids about fear being good. But the whole movie is so weird and disjointed it's just got these weird random interludes that have this "everything in the world is loving terrifying" vibe that undercuts everything with not a ton of conclusion or payoff.

Like the first guy they meet being a total wreck because he's so afraid of everything, the antagonists seeming to be in some sort of death murder cult, talking about murdering someone by drowning them in their own blood, the extremely brutal flesh ripping on the wings.

The whole movie feels like it was plotted out like it would be like "hey kids, the world is scary sometimes, but fear is your friend and helps you" but the movie is edited too weird and that got tramped down and it's just "hey kids, the world is loving terrifying, it seems really bad but..... oops, movies over, sleep tight!" Like it's only that the movie is fairly forgettable that it won't be a generation of kids looking back traumatized remembering this weird movie about how awful and scary everything is.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I finally got around to seeing Cars 1 & 2. They aren’t bad, but they’re very much just generic kids movie plots with a good visual polish. (Though they don’t just slide off my brain like The Good Dinosaur, which remains their worst movie).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Good Dinosaur wants to be too many different movies at once and fails at all of them. They should've taken the Old West with Dinosaurs part of the movie and just made that into a full movie cause it's the best part

Also the marketing kept hammering "What if the Dinosaurs DIDN'T go extinct??" but that particular story bit doesn't matter at all. Most people are not going to find it odd if there's a caveman and a dinosaur existing at the same time

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 15, 2020

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Macaluso posted:

Also the marketing kept hammering "What if the Dinosaurs DIDN'T go extinct??" but that particular story bit doesn't matter at all. Most people are not going to find it odd if there's a caveman and a dinosaur existing at the same time

God, the setting is so weird. Like everyone is living in different eras of some sort of vague american frontier times. But it never really indicates that there is some dinosaur boston out there they all recently traveled from, it just feels like it's a world where everyone is living in the middle of no where totally alone and separated from everyone else continuously forever on some sort of forever frontier where everyone felt like they had just gotten wherever they were despite the indication everyone was where they had been their whole life. Like the state of the world felt like the whole planet had like 4 people on it each hundreds of miles apart and each just barely establishing themselves but with no sense that anything was changing and that if you checked back in 100 years that they wouldn't still be building their first grain silo.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t remember them really marketing it so I’m sure they probably knew it was gonna be a clunker.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The good dinosaur, more like the bad worldbuilding

I can barely remember anything about it and I only watched it like a year and a bit ago

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember that the Blu-Ray menu music was from the firefly scene and it was incredibly haunting. Kind of colored my opinion of the film prolly, cuz the whole thing left me feeling very wistful, despite the film not really being that good.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
wizzids

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I don’t remember them really marketing it so I’m sure they probably knew it was gonna be a clunker.

They should have kept the original title, "The Untitled Pixar Movie About Dinosaurs"

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
ok this is incredible

jesus christ ralph

WHAT

omg

i actually went "WHAT" irl and it's not even the first time i've done so, i'm only eighteen minutes in

same movie.

nankeen fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 16, 2020

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
that's the last i'm going to say on the matter until i give this thing the thread it deserves, i just wanted you all to know what is going on

bakshi is my son

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
oh wow.

wow.

i was expecting this to be another hilarious experience and instead bakshi is tearing my heart out of my chest what the gently caress

ok i promise this is my last post itt. i'll just say in closing that bakshi pitched this movie to executives to, and i quote, "prove that he could produce a family-friendly film"

my son

e: this is blowing my mind. so many people have mentioned this movie to me over the years but it's always been as just like, a trippy good time with elves and fairies and poo poo. nobody has ever mentioned the nazi... plot, it's not even subtext, there's literal swastikas everywhere, the villain is playing actual footage of nazi rallies to his frog soldiers. what the gently caress, if someone had told me i would have watched this years ago, everyone's always just been like "lol good film to watch stoned, doesn't make much sense". the people who've recommended it to me have all been non-jewish and that's actually really scary, because it's like, did they just literally forget about all that because it means so little to them? this is heartbreaking, it's like a scream of anguish from the bakshi soul and it's been forgotten as a trippy van art period piece

nankeen fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 16, 2020

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
bakshi :qq:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
gently caress!!

ok that's all i promise

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
this is legitimately the most emotional i've gotten at an animation since i think, mufasa's death when lion king 1 was in cinemas? the whole thing is incredibly wonky but the power is real. i am in love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i will die for bakshi