Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was even happy to see and enjoying scenes involving Tina????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Despera posted:

2017 feels like just yesterday

Actually it feels like 10 years ago, loving hell the last 2 years were a lot

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

A swift and brutal end, most likely

Optimist.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I rewatched season 1 in preparation and yeah, it's fuckin amazing

I should have done this but I just caught the official summary video or whatever on YouTube. I think about that first speech he gives in episode 1 a lot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I remember liking Young Pope, but I also can't remember a single thing that happened in it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Oasx posted:

I have honestly never heard anyone call it good. The general opinion is that it is pretty bad.

I wondered because it was on one of those Rotten Tomato listicles of the best sci-fi TV shows. I'm about 3 episodes in and I'm gonna bail. It's pretty lame.

Oh and all this talk about popes, I know it's not a TV show but The Two Popes was great and it's on Netflix so go check it out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh02zvHHPzw

It's capicollo...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Dr. Seuss presents: Young Pope, New Pope, Real Pope, Two Popes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
If this wasn't staring Vin Diesel I'd say it looks like it could be good but it does so I am almost certain it's gonna suck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R-qIOGyEcw

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol that trailer reveals more about Bloodshot's backstory than years of the comics. Also I'm less concerned about Vin part and more concerned about the Sony Pictures part, as they are the studio that had to let another studio takeover their slam-dunk superhero franchise in order to make a good movie.

I love Valiant comics, but all of their main dudes seem to be broad riffs on existing big-2 superheroes (Bloodshot/Wolverine, Harbinger/X-men, X-0/Thor and Ironman, Ninjak/Batman) and while they do great and interesting things with these characters on paper, I worry that since most fan crit online is just pattern matching to TVTropes.com that people who aren't familiar with them aren't going to give them a fair shake.

(Also if you want to read cape comics but don't want to deal with the billion or so Marvel/DC books that come out every month, cannot recommend Valiant comics enough)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's complicated. But long story short, Italian contains a hodge-podge of random bits and pieces from the languages of the kingdoms that gradually merged together into the nation we now call Italy over the last 200 years, and people from different regions within Italy who then emigrated to America retained their regional variations in pronunciation. "Gabagool" is kind of the Italian equivalent of "varmint".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just finished the first 4 eps of Patriot and uh... this show is bonkers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEn609nkRs

Will they course correct from the garbage that was season 2? Or maybe they will double down and keep trying to outsmart reddit even if the twists are completely nonsensical?
There’s gonna be an Arrival/Westworld crossover???

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Josh Lyman posted:

Great show dude.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

gently caress yes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1216800575775543297

Ah finally, an award winning Joker, unprecedented.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1216800575775543297

Ah finally, an award winning Joker, unprecedented.

You have to be a really lovely Joker in order to not get nominated for an award.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen it because I was preëxhausted by the discourse, but is it even really a comic book movie? It's not adapted from anything, it doesn't bear any resemblance to actual comics or movie Jokers in that it's a definitive origin story, which has been off limits for the character's whole history. If you changed the name of the city it takes place in and called him, say, Pagliacci rather than Joker, would there be anything comic book-y in it

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

I haven't seen it because I was preëxhausted by the discourse, but is it even really a comic book movie? It's not adapted from anything, it doesn't bear any resemblance to actual comics or movie Jokers in that it's a definitive origin story, which has been off limits for the character's whole history. If you changed the name of the city it takes place in and called him, say, Pagliacci rather than Joker, would there be anything comic book-y in it

Not in the least.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s some obligatory direct Batman connections but other than that, no not really. People joke that it’s just a remake of The King of Comedy but... it really is. I liked it and Joaquin is good in it but uh I don’t see how it’s leading the nominations.

Especially since The Farewell was snubbed so badly :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes! One of us! One of us!

If you can believe it, it only gets more bonkers and more gooder as it goes and you'll be saying holy poo poo at how well planned both seasons are. It's so meticulously constructed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, it does have the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne in it which seems obligatory for any Batman tangential media.

I actually just got around to watching it last night because I had a free redbox rental. It was a decent movie and Joaquin Phoenix did have a great unnerving performance in it, but I don't know that it successfully delivered on any sort of thesis.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Part of me wants to call you a dork for all this gatekeepy nitpicking and the other part just wants to watch the Oscars burn

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zoux posted:

It takes its basis from the failed stand up comedian section from "The Killing Joke".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

C-Euro posted:

I should have done this but I just caught the official summary video or whatever on YouTube. I think about that first speech he gives in episode 1 a lot.

The dream on or the real one?

:discourse:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Part of me wants to call you a dork for all this gatekeepy nitpicking and the other part just wants to watch the Oscars burn

The article I’m talking about is about how Joker is breaking the movie comic book barrier, I dunno where you got gatekeeping from

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

The article I’m talking about is about how Joker is breaking the movie comic book barrier, I dunno where you got gatekeeping from

I think he was talking about how you're categorizing ~comic book movies~ as being exclusive to adaptations of source material. :shrug:

Anywho: the Oscars are trash and I can't wait to watch Adam & Pals rip them apart, again. :colbert:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

Because your question of whether or not it's a comic book movie would invalidate the article, maintaining the status quo. "Gatekeeping" what can be called a comic book movie by staying it has to be a direct adaptation of an existing story.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The article is the one gatekeeping though not zoux?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The dream on or the real one?

The dream.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

This is gonna be good :black101:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stan Kirsch, who played Ritchie on Highlander: The Series, died

https://cultfaction.com/2020/01/14/stan-kirsch-passes-away-aged-51/

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 14, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Poor guy. A shame his demons won.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I didn't realize that The Outsider was being made in to a TV show. Are they going to bring back Ralph Macchio?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Oh hell yes, I sure hope that Ivana Milicevic plays the last villain.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Davros1 posted:

Stan Kirsch, who played Ritchie on Highlander: The Series, died

https://cultfaction.com/2020/01/14/stan-kirsch-passes-away-aged-51/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12DeNdF0KPA

That actually affected me a bit, but that felt fitting.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If someone makes an Avenue 5 thread, please use the subtitle "Dr. House, Olaf, and Nicola Murray IN SPAAAAACE", tia

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CW has ordered to series the Arrowverse spin-off Superman & Lois and their remake of Walker: Texas Ranger starring Jared Padalecki because I guess they're okay with his legal problem.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I guess Netflix put more episodes of that dumb Doomsday Preppers show up and I find myself compelled to watch these stupid fuckers for some reason. I feel like most of these nut jobs should be on some kind of government watchlist for a variety of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't he like get drunk and beat someone up? That almost feels like viral marketing.