Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, what did you buy to get a used stadia. The controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stadia: GOOGLE IS LITERALLY loving ME

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s like drm that prevents you from reselling your computer game

Except for your entire computer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ah yes the infrastructure that is *checks notes* Google cloud computing. That'd take them all of, what, 30 seconds to wipe and reallocate in a config console somewhere?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Barudak posted:

Wait, what did you buy to get a used stadia. The controller?

Probably the special chromecast and the controller.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah yes the infrastructure that is *checks notes* Google cloud computing. That'd take them all of, what, 30 seconds to wipe and reallocate in a config console somewhere?

You gotta switch to a different git branch and do like an apt-get dist-upgrade and it's just all way too much work.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

And people said that EA online passes were evil.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Stadia is not vaporware, Stadia is CueCat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

limaCAT posted:

Stadia is not vaporware, Stadia is CueCat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat

I think I still have mine, complete with ~hack~ to make it not encrypt the barcode.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

My favorite is the Google CS rep directing a customer (well, potential customer) to Reddit in hopes of solving their problem, because they're apparently unable to generate a code themselves.

New heights of incompetence, every week.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Stadia is great, and I don't get why it's getting so much flak

On mobile,so sorry in advance for any formatting issues.

I've had Stadia since the end of November, and I LOVE it. I have an older gaming PC, and have had a few consoles growing up.

When I first started my GPC journey, I basically dropped my console. It was just a better way to play. However, it always loomed over my head how much money it would cost to upgrade. As a student, the last thing I wanted to spend money on was graphics cards and processors.

When Stadia first was revealed at....last year's E3(?), I was ecstatic. I saw it as the future of gaming. No more big downloads, no more data management, no more upgrades, and availability at all times. The ability to share experiences, and collect achievements were an even bigger plus.

As soon as I gathered the money to buy, I got the premier edition. And ever since, I have not TOUCHED my PC. I was able to play Red Dead 2 within minutes of buying it, and experience the game at a much higher graphic fidelity than I ever could have previously. My first couple days were marked by being floored by the beautiful scenes I found, screen shotting ever little scene to try to hold onto it like it would someday be taken away from me.

I was able to jump into Destiny 2 again, and as a HUGE D1 fan, I was thrilled to play the game once more, as it had become a 130 gb game on my PC plagued with choppy frame rates and substandard graphics.

The pick-up-and-play nature of the whole system just brings a smile to my face. It takes seconds to have any game from my library pull up on nearly every TV in my home, and I LOVE it. Every little piece of Stadia has been a dream, and I received a new Chromecast Ultra, Stadia Controller, D2 the Collection, and about 6 other fee games all for $130. A helluva better deal than needing to upgrade my motherboard to update my processor, and then ultimately my graphics card.

Yet everyday now, I seem to see countless YouTubers, countless online publications, and plenty of people I know in my personal life absolutely poo poo on it and claim it's dead. At first, I understood the typical doubts that surrounds any big tech/gaming product hype, but when I finally had it in my hands and experienced the vision, I was positive that people would come to see it for what it is.

Now I do have gigabit internet with no data cap, which I'm sure the average consumer does not have access to in their home. However, I've seen countless people playing from wifi hotspots, coffee shops, and just plain old home wifi also loving the hell out of the experience and simplicity that Stadia has to offer. Throughout all my play time (I'm probably sitting at about 100 hours total on the platform), I've experience absolutely no connection issues save for D2 (and as a previous Destiny player, I doubt is on the part of Stadia itself as a platform). I played through Red Dead with absolutely no noticeable frame drops, latency issues, or connection drops.

And so what I don't get, is WHAT are these influencers talking about. To me, it seems like an effort is being made to deface the name of Stadia before it can even get any real traction, and I just don't understand what it's about. Are they being payed by competing interests? Are they playing on standard internet packages? Are they pissed about the amount of "coming soon" features that have yet to be implemented? I just really don't understand how some are having an entirely different experience on Stadia as my 100 hours have given me.

I plan on continuing Stadia for a long long time. As long as games keep rolling in, I aim to be a pro subscriber for a very very long time. ~$100 a year for beautiful gaming on multiple systems, including 2 games a month is something that I have no issue at all with, and in fact celebrate the fact that I've hopped out of the PC upgrade cycle.

Anyway, how do you all feel? Are there some terrible "never again" experiences any of you have to share? Are you also in love with Stadia? I'd love to hear all of your experiences!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Yup, that's how you move the market

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
So much to unpack in that (clearly astroturfing) post. My favourite part is claiming to have seen countless people enjoying Stadia on cafe wifi.

No one has ever seen another stadia user!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stux posted:

you make more money allowing everything than turning away some games and hiring people to vet things. its really not anymore complicated than that.

That's not necessarily true. If there are curators who at least flag obvious asset flips and other crap games so that they sink to results page 20 and allow better games to surface, overall sales might improve.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

my GPC journey

quote:

No more big downloads, no more data management,

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Now I do have gigabit internet with no data cap
Someone's in for a surprise in the coming months.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Probably the special chromecast and the controller.

Whoever sold it to him is vastly smarter than the man not thinking about the implications of a guy selling you his less than three month old video game system that cant be bought in stores

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's like a pyramid scam in that sense - once you've bought in and realize what you're getting, your only recourse it to offload it onto someone else while repeating the same marketing spiel you fell for yourself.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Whoever sold it to him is vastly smarter than the man not thinking about the implications of a guy selling you his less than three month old video game system that cant be bought in stores

I wonder what was the markup.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ErrEff posted:

Someone's in for a surprise in the coming months.

I have no idea why but my Canadian ISP legitimately gives zero fucks, I've done like 20tb in a month (backups to Unlimited Google Cloud) and never had a peep from them. Never had a peep from Google either, for that matter.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Every so often I think about hostile apostle saying "True 4k" and I laugh.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Do you think he just got fired for failing to convert anyone here?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I can't tell if this is a little early or late for the bargaining stage, but I guess everyone goes through grief at their own pace.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Stux posted:

youre saying they cant, but its more like wont. none of this is because theyre thinking ah we cant win well! whatever! its bcos gaben is a big libertarian-esque money is always right follow the money guy and you make more money allowing everything than turning away some games and hiring people to vet things. its really not anymore complicated than that.

It is very hard to make any kind of apples to apples comparison, but as best I can tell from cursory googling, Steam made about $4.3 billion (minus DLC and micro-transactions so this is likely severely under reported) in 2017 where Apple shipped $26.5 billion to developers (the 70% cut). Notoriously, Apple has a pretty strict review system (though it lets plenty of crap on to the store).

The libertarian idea of 'anything goes makes more money' severely underestimates how much people care about feeling safe when they buy stuff. People would rather buy their stuff at brightly lit Walmart than seedy game shop, even if that means foregoing the chance to buy AO rated games. In many cases, *because* they won't deal with AO rated games.

Since Stadia has been the most exclusive about allowing games on the platform to date, it stands to reason that they have a very bight future ahead of them!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love how these rambling, natural-sounding posts can’t help but include a line or two of marketing speak. “I just don’t understand how people couldn’t enjoy its crisp and refreshing flavor!”

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Flayer posted:

So much to unpack in that (clearly astroturfing) post. My favourite part is claiming to have seen countless people enjoying Stadia on cafe wifi.

No one has ever seen another stadia user!

My favorite is claiming to have seen countless people playing on their home wifi. Do these people know he is watching them?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cemetry Gator posted:

We're not talking about titles that involve Nazis, but rather titles that are produced by and/or for Nazis.

There's a game on steam, Warsaw. It's basically "what if the Darkest Dungeon, but about the Warsaw Uprising". You lead a resistance cell during the uprising and your job is to keep up morale so the people don't give up the fight. It's made by Polish devs in collaboration with some historical societies dedicated to remembering the Uprising. It's full of touching stories and vignettes of life in occupied Germany, and actual real stories from resistance fighters and survivors. You end up fighting troops from the Dirlewanger Brigade etc, and it gets loving real as poo poo.

The biggest discussion thread in the game's Steam subforum is a bunch of idiots with names like "IRON EAGLE" asking the devs to add in a mode where you play as the nazis, and then pages and pages of people explaining to the devs that ACKSHUALLY the nazis weren't war criminals and it's mostly just misrepresentation and propaganda and furthermore...

What do you even say to idiots like this?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Der Shovel posted:

Nothing, you just :thermidor:

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

"gently caress off" would be a strong start.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

There's a game on steam, Warsaw. It's basically "what if the Darkest Dungeon, but about the Warsaw Uprising". You lead a resistance cell during the uprising and your job is to keep up morale so the people don't give up the fight. It's made by Polish devs in collaboration with some historical societies dedicated to remembering the Uprising. It's full of touching stories and vignettes of life in occupied Germany, and actual real stories from resistance fighters and survivors. You end up fighting troops from the Dirlewanger Brigade etc, and it gets loving real as poo poo.

The biggest discussion thread in the game's Steam subforum is a bunch of idiots with names like "IRON EAGLE" asking the devs to add in a mode where you play as the nazis, and then pages and pages of people explaining to the devs that ACKSHUALLY the nazis weren't war criminals and it's mostly just misrepresentation and propaganda and furthermore...

You ban them.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Der Shovel posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TymberDalton/status/1216091975612538880

I think this sums it up nicely.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But what about this one. Should it be banned?

I'd say no. While you do play as Joseph Goebbels who along with the rest of Hitlers coterie are now animu schoolgirls vying for his attention it's completely inoffensive. Sure there is a ton of fascist imagery but it completely ignores the actual facts of the war. Just like pretty much every other visual novel it's just extremely bland and boring. Perfect for Stevia in other words.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
source your quotes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Wheany posted:

That's not necessarily true. If there are curators who at least flag obvious asset flips and other crap games so that they sink to results page 20 and allow better games to surface, overall sales might improve.

yes but that involves spending money and as we all know doing things like paying staff is always less profitable even if its more profitable

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Still laughing about the guy that joked that hostile's contract expired on December 31st and he was actually right.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
Stadia III: The Search for Hostile Apostle

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

American McGay posted:

Still laughing about the guy that joked that hostile's contract expired on December 31st and he was actually right.

Nah just been on vacation since end of December - but I'm back and as salty as ever

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd be salty if I bought in on Stadia's scam too.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

Nah just been on vacation since end of December - but I'm back and as salty as ever
Now that you're back from vacation what games are you most looking forward to playing on Stadia in January and beyond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

American McGay posted:

Now that you're back from vacation what games are you most looking forward to playing on Stadia in January and beyond?

D2 and GRID taking up most of my time. Most looking forward to 4K, 60FPS Cyberpunk in April (lol).

Get Packed (Stadia exclusive) looks like it will be a pretty fun couch co-op, Overcooked-esque type game. Not sure on exact release date.

Gods & Monsters, coming in Feb also seems interesting, from the devs of AC:O. Kinda looks like AC:O meets Zelda.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 14, 2020