Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
One more question - does Windows 10 run all right on a regular hard drive? Last time I tried the free upgrade, I noticed it was slower than Windows 7. I have an SSD, but I need to find a SATA cable for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
No OS runs "all right" on a regular hard drive.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Counterpoint: EdgeHTML Edge is fine, Chromium Edge is Chrome and garbage

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Win10 running worse than win7 could be a thing if your win7 wasn't running MS security essentials or other antivirus. In which case it's not exactly a fair comparison.

Otherwise I'd guess the upgrade left the drive in an disorganized state and it needed some defrag + a period of use to do the drive optimization stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Edgy as heck

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My Edge story is that I needed to mark up some floor maps I had in PDF form, so I used Edge’s PDF annotation tools with a stylus on my ThinkPad. Spent about three hours walking around campus taking my notes, then when I went to send them to my boss I discovered that about half of my annotations were missing. Not just like, it stopped saving them halfway through, but it threw away individual strokes seemingly at random. Parts of letters missing. loving insane. I googled it and of course it’s been a known issue for ages.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Willo567 posted:

One more question - does Windows 10 run all right on a regular hard drive? Last time I tried the free upgrade, I noticed it was slower than Windows 7. I have an SSD, but I need to find a SATA cable for it

Limited sample size but the best I've had with spinning disk lately was a system that was ok if you left it for three minutes or so after login. Apart from that I've had three systems which I found unusable with hdds but fine once transferred to ssd.

I would wait for the sata cable for the ssd or use something other then windows 10 temporarily.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

A "moronic opinion" is the technical term for this. Classic Edge is terrible in every respect and buggy as hell. Chrome is the industry standard & great.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

RichardA posted:

Limited sample size but the best I've had with spinning disk lately was a system that was ok if you left it for three minutes or so after login. Apart from that I've had three systems which I found unusable with hdds but fine once transferred to ssd.

I would wait for the sata cable for the ssd or use something other then windows 10 temporarily.

It just gonna take a couple of days for the sata cable. Will Windows 7 still be OK to use in the mean time?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lambert posted:

Internet Explorer is the industry standard & great.

They both suck. All browsers suck, some harder than others. But being "industry standard" doesn't make it great.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Except, in this case, the industry standard actually is, in fact, great.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lambert posted:

A "moronic opinion" is the technical term for this. Classic Edge is terrible in every respect and buggy as hell. Chrome is the industry standard & great.

It's the internet; everything is terrible. Classic edge was too dumbed-down and poorly performant (and they took wayyy too long to implement extension support); Chrome is owned by an advertising company and those effects will only get worse over time (see also how they really wanted to, and likely still intend to, kill off current methods of adblocking).

I'd say Chrome-Edge would be a step up but MS has been super shady with activity collection in the last year or so and I'm sure they'll find a way to "accidentally" ignore your privacy settings for this too and send all of your browsing history to Microsoft.

I personally recommend Firefox or, if you want something Chromium-based, Vivaldi.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lambert posted:

Except, in this case, the industry standard actually is, in fact, great.

Sorry to break it to you, but Chrome is actually, in fact, really bad.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Geemer posted:

Sorry to break it to you, but Chrome is actually, in fact, really bad.

Go on.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

astral posted:

I personally recommend Firefox or, if you want something Chromium-based, Vivaldi.

Firefox has a slow rendering engine and doesn't have basic features like multi-language spellcheck. It's pretty terrible.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

some company named the globe has started delivering internet articles for a small fee and tbh it's a little easier then reading on my phone. Also I use the waste paper as tinder for the fire

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

Firefox has a slow rendering engine and doesn't have basic features like multi-language spellcheck. It's pretty terrible.

I have no comment on either of these complaints ("works fine for me"), but it's the most standards-compliant browser. Google's sure as hell looking to pull what Microsoft did in the 90s with IE in terms of market share > standards.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AMP finally got me to start pulling away from Google anything

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

hooah posted:

I have no comment on either of these complaints ("works fine for me"), but it's the most standards-compliant browser. Google's sure as hell looking to pull what Microsoft did in the 90s with IE in terms of market share > standards.

There will always be a browser that dominates and pushes its own brand of poo poo out. At least chrome is mostly playing nice with how they are pushing their own brand of poo poo. It's still a breath of fresh air from when IE reined.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fallom posted:

AMP finally got me to start pulling away from Google anything

I really hate AMP with a passion; such an annoying "feature".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mobby_6kl posted:

Chrome is definitely cultivating a rendering engine monoculture just like that of IE and Trident used to..

RIP Presto

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 15, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Which is a good thing, as long as the rendering engine doesn't suck. Which is why Trident was problematic, and why people are complaining about the Webkit monoculture on Apple devices, where Apple drags its feet on implementing new standards.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

mobby_6kl posted:

Chrome and garbage

Redundant.

Lambert posted:

Devs learn one set of browser tools and dont care about privacy or bloat on their 64gb ram workstations. Chrome is still a pig and a bloated spybot.

necrotic posted:

There will always be a browser that dominates and pushes its own brand of poo poo out. At least chrome is mostly playing nice with how they are pushing their own brand of poo poo. It's still a breath of fresh air from when IE reined.

Testing the market to see how far they can get with killing privacy extensions and adblockers is broadly worse than IEs (ridiculous) issues that mostly only annoyed webdevs.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They're not killing adblocking extensions, they're moving to a more secure API. No one was crying about Apple killing adblockers when they did this very same thing years ago.

Also, Chrome performs way better than Firefox, for example. It's a very well-performing browser.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lambert posted:

They're not killing adblocking extensions, they're moving to a more secure API. No one was crying about Apple killing adblockers when they did this very same thing years ago.

There was definitely a lot of crying about it, and no App Store adblocker is as good as uBlock Origin.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

People did complain, though. They were just ignored because 'hah shouldn't have gotten an iphone then'.

Chrome performing better than Firefox on Alphabet-owned websites is simply down to the fact that those sites are either using nonstandard elements that only Chrome knows how to do and/or they're deliberately slowing down competing browsers.
https://tech.co/news/google-slowed-youtube-firefox-edge-2019-04
https://www.cnet.com/news/mozilla-exec-says-google-slowed-youtube-down-on-non-chrome-browsers/

And while the new adblocking API might be more secure it's also restrictive to the point where proper ad blocking becomes impossible. So, they're maybe not killing it right off the bat, but they sure are putting on and tightening the noose.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Geemer posted:

People did complain, though. They were just ignored because 'hah shouldn't have gotten an iphone then'.

Chrome performing better than Firefox on Alphabet-owned websites is simply down to the fact that those sites are either using nonstandard elements that only Chrome knows how to do and/or they're deliberately slowing down competing browsers.
https://tech.co/news/google-slowed-youtube-firefox-edge-2019-04
https://www.cnet.com/news/mozilla-exec-says-google-slowed-youtube-down-on-non-chrome-browsers/

And while the new adblocking API might be more secure it's also restrictive to the point where proper ad blocking becomes impossible. So, they're maybe not killing it right off the bat, but they sure are putting on and tightening the noose.

Defending Google in 2020 is asinine.

quote:

Then, after a while, bugs started appearing on Firefox when using Google services. More curious still, Chrome ads appeared next to Firefox search terms.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my favourite thing about the "new and improved API" is that it can still block ads, but not until the server that serves you ads has all the logs claim you downloaded said ads.

e: also, ublock origin is probably better for security than anything chome did in the last 12 months lmao

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Chrome jumped the shark sometime ago in my opinion. gently caress em.

It still rocks for developer tools though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So what actual difference is there with Chromium Edge compared to Chrome, other than plugging into Microsoft's services instead of Google's?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

plugging into Microsoft's services instead of Google's.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Defending Google in 2020 is asinine.

I'm just glad the whole thread came together to dunk on Google and Chrome. :unsmith:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It still rocks for developer tools though.
This is actually a problem. Too many devs are pushing chrome like they were on fury road because theyre just used to it.

Mozilla needs to pull its head out of 14 asses and stop moving buttons around and do something substantial for usability. (That is not just their ipad "designers" moving buttons around screeching "usability".)

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I have no issues with FF dev tools :shrug: How are Chrome's better?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Bourricot posted:

I have no issues with FF dev tools :shrug: How are Chrome's better?

I actually dont have an opinion myself, but 99.9% of devs I see at work, or online, or randomly proselytizing in the streets seem to think that.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My computer screamed at me that Win7 is finally dead and it's time to upgrade :( I guess it's finally time lest I have the equivalent of a nuclear freight train dropped on my PC before I know it, but the question is, like... what do I do. I have no Idea what you're supposed to do or how to do it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Google windows media creation tool, download it from Microsofts website, put it on a USB stick and boot from it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Might also be able to use the Win10 upgrade assistant which has done well for several machines here at work.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

Google windows media creation tool, download it from Microsofts website, put it on a USB stick and boot from it.

Dick Trauma posted:

Might also be able to use the Win10 upgrade assistant which has done well for several machines here at work.

These are the same tool. It just asks you whether you want to perform an in-place upgrade or create bootable media to install later.

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They are two different tools, but the Media Creation Tool can do an in-place update as well.