Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that Dead Space wasn't a horror game or trying to gatekeep, I was just giving examples as to why AAA horror games are a fine line to walk. DS works on a lot of levels as a good example of a horror action game, especially with how the interfaces don't stop time and how the hectic pace of combat helps to bring up that tension. The first time you fight a necromorph and pop its head only for it to just get pissed off, throwing out known convention, is brilliant.

As for the BTs, they are a great example of agency in action: when you first meet them, they are an absolute terrible force, responsible for all the death and destruction in the world. Even after you get your first blood weapons they still pose a legitimate and creepy threat. But they give you tool after tool to fight them with until they become another resource to farm. Though, I like this development from both a gameplay and a narrative sense: you, as a player, are now stronger and smarter in the face of a threat, and humanity has a real chance to reclaim what they lost to the BTs and hold their own against an implacable enemy, growing stronger for it. It fits the themes of rebuilding and reclaiming greatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah with the tech developed during the game humanity doesn't really need to send dead bodies to incinerators anymore. They can just have facilities that store dead bodies and spray blood mist when the BT spawns to kill it. You still wouldn't want it to be IN a city just in case but it can be entirely automated so there's no human for the BTs to grab and create a voidout. It's also a lot safer for porters, and maybe they could even make some sort of clothing made of Sam's blood so BTs can't grab them.
That said Sam's blood is still a finite resource if they don't find out how to make an artificial version, especially if Sam goes off the grid and doesn't provide anymore blood.

I'd really like a sequel just to show how the new tech changes things. I guess the story for a sequel would be going overseas and connecting Europe/other countries to the chiral network or something? It could even have more extinction entities as antagonists.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 14, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Related, they make a point of saying your rope is blood-infused but I never found a situation where it did anything vs BTs, is there an option to bind BTs before you get the cuff or something?

Ropes fired from the bola gun are the same as Sam's strand but other than that not really. (late game spoiler) The strand can bind Higgs and immobilize him, though, which it probably can only do because it's made from Sam's blood given his teleportation and such.

night slime
May 14, 2014

vseslav.botkin posted:

To tie this more explicitly into the horror game talk, I think the issue isn't just that the BTs become less difficult over time -- although they do, as your bond with BB develops, you get more weapons to fight them, and you can plan your routes to avoid them -- but they're also explained in considerable detail and their behavior is really consistent: they try to grab you, you try to escape or they succeed; if they do, then you try to escape again or fight a mini-boss. Of course, since this is Kojima, the idea of confronting and understanding your fears in order to defeat them is probably not a theme arrived at accidentally. I never played PT, so I don't know how that compares.

Yeah, I was actually thinking when I was writing that post there was something interesting about the BTs being easier as the game goes on and BB's relationship improving, the BTs being some sort of metaphor for processing emotions related to BB.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yknow, I think at this point it's safe to say I probably enjoy this game a little

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

CJacobs posted:

Ropes fired from the bola gun are the same as Sam's strand but other than that not really. (late game spoiler) The strand can bind Higgs and immobilize him, though, which it probably can only do because it's made from Sam's blood given his teleportation and such.

Oh really? How do you pull that off? I tried a couple of times and he always seemed to get me before I could sneak up to him

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Talorat posted:

Oh really? How do you pull that off? I tried a couple of times and he always seemed to get me before I could sneak up to him

Stealthing it is possible, but you can also knock him off balance by doing the shove move (hoist your shoulders with L2+R2 and hit square), then run around behind him and pull out the strand. Works on sad dad Mads too!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Such a fun fight. Between curbstomps, smacking him with old Playstations, and then ending on an MGS4 callout.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today I finally got a good recording take of the Collector's missions and afterward I made sure to let him know exactly what I think of his stupid inaccessible cave house

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"We used to have things called 'Magazines'"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fact that according to emails he is the descendant of his own real life self and thinks Famitsu is the coolest poo poo ever is simultaneously really funny in the Kojima way and really insulting

edit: We Used to Have Things Called "Letters"

further edit: Haha wow, I've just learned through testing that you seemingly cannot 5 star him without picking up those Famitsu magazines. I brought him all of the cargo I possibly could for 400 likes at 4 stars, and it stopped at like 4.9999999 no matter how much I gave him. Man this dude sucks so bad.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 15, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
He really does suck rear end. That whole cavern area is uniquely terrible. Fall in by accident and you've instantly lost 10 minutes, between recovering from the fall and wandering around to get out.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

night slime posted:

He really does suck rear end. That whole cavern area is uniquely terrible. Fall in by accident and you've instantly lost 10 minutes, between recovering from the fall and wandering around to get out.

I always take the canyon road because its safe from mules and the path it takes is clearly shown on the map. It's so good its basically the intended path from distro center to junk dealer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some kind soul connected to my game built a zip-line right next to the MULE postbox that sits on an island straight across from him, so all I had to do was build one on the Collector side and boom easy repeatable deliveries. You don't get an S rank since you only get half the stuff he wants but who cares he doesn't deserve it

edit: I also figured out how to game the First Prepper so I don't have to travel the entire game world like 5 times to get him to join the UCA. Built a zip-line network directly to him from the South Lake Distro, picked up every order for him from the stations surrounding the mountain, then stored them in his own house and delivered them one by one after resting/reading emails. Worked like a charm.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 15, 2020

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
*extremely Win Butler voice*

CJacobs posted:

edit: We Used to Have Things Called "Letters"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
About to start the endgame, on chapter 8. Got all the roads built but no cheevo or anything. I was going to :five: everyone in the East but it’s its own network and there’s no unlocks I want out there. I threw all my cargo in the river because I was getting annoyed with the BTs, donated the rest of my poo poo and left. I probably will just get the Santa hat from the first prepper and power through the endgame before I get bored and drop the game.

It’s a super good game. I’m probably going to buy a Bridges sticker and put it on my guitar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*extremely Win Butler voice*

Sometimes I can't believe it /
I'm moving past Famitsu

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Late game spoiler: you can also use it to garrote skeletons to death in Vietnam, which rules.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sam for Smash. Lemme throw cargo boxes at Mario drat it

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

skooma512 posted:

About to start the endgame, on chapter 8. Got all the roads built but no cheevo or anything. I was going to :five: everyone in the East but it’s its own network and there’s no unlocks I want out there. I threw all my cargo in the river because I was getting annoyed with the BTs, donated the rest of my poo poo and left. I probably will just get the Santa hat from the first prepper and power through the endgame before I get bored and drop the game.

It’s a super good game. I’m probably going to buy a Bridges sticker and put it on my guitar.

I was also upset there was no achievement for completing the road network. It really feels like there should have been one, it's a serious undertaking.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Talorat posted:

I was also upset there was no achievement for completing the road network. It really feels like there should have been one, it's a serious undertaking.
:same: :smith::hf::smith:

It does help tremendously with the hardest ones though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Sam for Smash. Lemme throw cargo boxes at Mario drat it

Can you imagine Sam fighting Snake

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Can you imagine Sam fighting Snake

If you look at Sam's design in Death Stranding, he does remind you of Snake from MGSV. They even gave him a ponytail.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

A smash moveset for Sam would be dope. I’m imagining some sort of weight mechanic where his moves become slower but stronger based on how much weight he is carrying.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

A smash moveset for Sam would be dope. I’m imagining some sort of weight mechanic where his moves become slower but stronger based on how much weight he is carrying.

By the end he is the heaviest character but has absolute crap mobility, and his tackle breaks shield.

Honestly, who knows, but I would be down for a Sam fighter.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Sam handing BB off to Deadman before each battle...no way they add kicking a baby, albeit encased, to that. It's also kind of iconic to his design so it would be weird as well...maybe his pod is blank during matches and BB watches on screen and cries when Sam is attacked.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If Sam does get added they have to do a bit where he's the one delivering the letters

His final smash is a BT loving eats Mario and the resulting voidout kills everyone.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
die Hardman chiralgram assist trophies putting you to sleep like jigglypuff.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

night slime posted:

Sam handing BB off to Deadman before each battle...no way they add kicking a baby, albeit encased, to that. It's also kind of iconic to his design so it would be weird as well...maybe his pod is blank during matches and BB watches on screen and cries when Sam is attacked.

They added Paz's vagina bomb.

night slime
May 14, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

They added Paz's vagina bomb.

Didn't know about that but I googled and it's slightly more obscure in the way it's referenced. Was thinking about how they didn't add Mai Shiranui.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mr Game and Watch is a BT

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When Sam loses a stock a dead Sam appears somewhere on the stage and the player has to swim to it before they can rejoin the fight, and if another player touches it they get an assist trophy

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Zero Suit SamUS

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

If we ever get a hero/class shooter like Siege or TF2 with character lineups like Smash he would be a good tank or supporter.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I admit this is a little weird but I'd honestly rather not have Sam in a fighting game.

Now, a racing game....

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

vseslav.botkin posted:

I admit this is a little weird but I'd honestly rather not have Sam in a fighting game.

Now, a racing game....

:same: actually. DS is pointedly not combat oriented at all.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

vseslav.botkin posted:

Now, a racing game....

Smash isn’t a fighting game tho.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For not being a combat oriented game, Sam still does kick all kinds of rear end in a hand to hand brawl.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Really enjoying this but goddamn so far I have accidentally vapourised at least five or six vehicles by trying to open my map before getting on them and then being forced to slog it to my destination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fuckups are the truest Death Stranding experience