Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Should I take a day off and go to Meadows tomorrow? 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Probably.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think I'm finally gonna make it out tomorrow. I was hoping to have a better winter wheel set for my car, but the roads already look doable and what I have should work.

Of course I had some friends come out and go to keystone this year when I only grabbed the ikon pass. At least I can use a buddy pass to knock the price down a little.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

I am feeling for you guys real hard right now. Just a terrible situation over there.

We are having a pretty good year. I am finding I am less and less inclined to go ski in the resort. Chairlift laps can still be fun but dealing with the people and stuff kind of sucks. Maybe if we catch a good storm cycle I would be happy to lap the resort but chasing the rope drops with tons of others is a tough one.

I will keep posting pics though and try to keep the stoke up and send the snow vibes east.

This was the biggest change from the Epic pass to Aspen. There is no chasing rope drops. There's just nobody loving there. Like yes, if you so catch a drop that's great because you are now in a ski movie, but if you show up to the zone two hours late no worries because there are still plenty of untouched lines. If I still was doing the Summit/Eagle thing, high chance I'd also mostly prefer the bc too

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Has anyone skied at Kirkwood with a new skieer? My fiancee can do greens and easy blues (mostly on the Cali side at Heavenly) but i'm not sure how much fun she/we would have there (I've only done kirkwood on my own as a fairly advanced skier)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Only Toronto gets the army for snow storms!

Meanwhile, Sunshine has all the lifts on standby today because of the cold. Sucks for the folks paying hundreds a night to stay right on the mountain, it's supposed to stay this cold/colder all week.

Can confirm it is insanely cold

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Can confirm it is insanely cold

Yeah I said gently caress it and just went snowshoeing instead, will likely do the same the rest of the week unless we get a crazy snow day.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Eejit posted:

This was the biggest change from the Epic pass to Aspen. There is no chasing rope drops. There's just nobody loving there. Like yes, if you so catch a drop that's great because you are now in a ski movie, but if you show up to the zone two hours late no worries because there are still plenty of untouched lines. If I still was doing the Summit/Eagle thing, high chance I'd also mostly prefer the bc too

On my way.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

luminalflux posted:

Fiancée wants to go up to her in-laws in the sierra foothills on MLK weekend, which would be nice for skiing since they're like 90 minutes from south lake tahoe. Except I got an epic local pass and not the full pass which means blackout dates. Guess i'm going to Sierra-at-Tahoe

Blackout days are also half price vs window on epic local, so still slightly cheaper than sierra-at-tahoe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Re: my broken leg

Orthopedist said that it's a clean fracture of my fibula and I should be walking normally in 2 weeks or so and there's a chance I can ski again this season so that's my good news for today

http://imgur.com/a/26BguvX

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Re: my broken leg

Orthopedist said that it's a clean fracture of my fibula and I should be walking normally in 2 weeks or so and there's a chance I can ski again this season so that's my good news for today

http://imgur.com/a/26BguvX

Hell yeah. Best possible leg break scenario.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

Blackout days are also half price vs window on epic local, so still slightly cheaper than sierra-at-tahoe.

I can't figure out how to get the half-price tickets online, can you only get the discount in person at the mountain?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

When I've done it before (New year's with family), I went to the pass office day of (less line than general window) and got stuff there + bought full price ones for nonpass family

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Seattle area skiing has become such an overcrowded shitshow on the weekends that Crystal is eliminating walk up lift ticket sales opting for online pre-purchases only so they can somewhat limit the number of people that show up per day. Movax & I tried going to Stevens to use our Epic Local Passes last weekend, spent 4 hours driving in stop/go traffic, and got there after lots had filled so we had some beers at Leavenworth and came back when lots opened for night skiing at 3PM. At least our snow has been good :shobon:

Seattle Times even wrote an article about it.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/o...f-local-slopes/

resident fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 15, 2020

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Has anyone skied at Kirkwood with a new skieer? My fiancee can do greens and easy blues (mostly on the Cali side at Heavenly) but i'm not sure how much fun she/we would have there (I've only done kirkwood on my own as a fairly advanced skier)

The Timbercreek side of Kirkwood was a lot of fun for my new-ish friends. I think all the runs are technically blue (TC Express Lift), but they are pretty easy ones. They really liked the "Ditch of Doom" and "Trench of Terror" runs which are like narrow, curvy paths that take you along for a ride.

There's also a bunny hill on that side as well.

The complete other side of Kirkwood (Lifts: Snowkirk, Caples Crest, and Iron Horse) also have pretty manageable blues, but if I recall, there are a bunch of flat areas, so snowboarders going slow can get stuck.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 15, 2020

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

resident posted:

Seattle area skiing has become such an overcrowded shitshow on the weekends that Crystal is eliminating walk up lift ticket sales opting for online pre-purchases only so they can somewhat limit the number of people that show up per day.

Coincidentally, I recently found this amazing video of when an apparently patrol-triggered avalanche took out a lift there a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwQNnjS2E-s

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Headed to CO tomorrow. Have a giant ski bag. Life is good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Headed to CO tomorrow. Have a giant ski bag. Life is good.

Welcome!

Where you headed? good storm coming for Friday.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Welcome!

Where you headed? good storm coming for Friday.

Just out to Purgatory for this trip. My dad is just south of town so free lodging!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so goons I am gonna be in Nelson from the 18th Jan til the 29th and riding Whitewater and maybe a day or two at Red. if anyone is around and wants to meet an aussie goon and watch them poorly try to ride in snow deeper than anything I have at home, please hit me up.

Sprowzek I owe you beers for your helpful information so plz come collect.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Anyone ever been to Zermatt in Switzerland?

We're going in late February for a week and still looking for tips/advice on how to spend our week besides epic riding and gawking at the Matterhorn.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

so goons I am gonna be in Nelson from the 18th Jan til the 29th and riding Whitewater and maybe a day or two at Red. if anyone is around and wants to meet an aussie goon and watch them poorly try to ride in snow deeper than anything I have at home, please hit me up.

Sprowzek I owe you beers for your helpful information so plz come collect.

I wish I could but I will not be back up there until February 10th. Have fun though man.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Mummy Xzibit posted:

We're going in late February for a week and still looking for tips/advice on how to spend our week besides epic riding and gawking at the Matterhorn.

Cancel the whole rest of your trip and just do the Haute Route to Chamonix

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

What do you like to do? It's a lovely place. I'd say to get the international pass so you can ski Cervinia as well, food is great and cheap in Italy. Do the 20km run from the klein Matterhorn to Valtournenche as well if it's open. It's worth bothering to walk up the steps to the viewing platform at the klein Matterhorn, it's an amazing view.

There hasn't been new snow since Christmas so off piste is skied out, but more is forecast this weekend. There's quite a bit of "in bounds" freeride on the Gornergrat side if the snow is good.

Or yeah do the haute route instead, or the trip from Gressoney over Monte Rosa to Zermatt (on my bucket list).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mummy Xzibit posted:

One of my friends went there last year. He didn't care for it at all as a snowboarder. He said he was constantly walking due to catwalks. Outside of that he said he loved it there.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

fknlo posted:

One of my friends went there last year. He didn't care for it at all as a snowboarder. He said he was constantly walking due to catwalks. Outside of that he said he loved it there.

There's several peaks at Zermatt and some sides of the mountain are better than others for snowboarding imo. The scenic area near the matterhorn isn't so great for snowboarding.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

fknlo posted:

a friend invited me to go in December and as I was researching how it is I saw a lot of complaints about this at all... stories that it can take 2 hours to get from the town to a run because of all of the lines and catwalks. I've been there in the summer though and would love to visit in the winter even if I just focused on snowshoeing or crosscountry or something. Switzerland in the winter is a dream bucketlist trip.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MMD3 posted:

a friend invited me to go in December and as I was researching how it is I saw a lot of complaints about this at all... stories that it can take 2 hours to get from the town to a run because of all of the lines and catwalks. I've been there in the summer though and would love to visit in the winter even if I just focused on snowshoeing or crosscountry or something. Switzerland in the winter is a dream bucketlist trip.

I've skied there a lot and can't really see 2 hours being true tbh. Maybe 1 if it's super busy. I guess part of it is that the vertical difference is big so it naturally takes a while to travel 2km upwards.

Zero queues last week at any rate.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

fknlo posted:

Maybe this is true for beginners, but I had no issues there. It's definitely not the best resort for advanced riding, but it does have amazing views and of course the iconic Matterhorn.

If you want to get to the top it does take a while, but that's more because the highest point is 7500 ft above the base and if you were to go back down to the base it would be up to a 16 mile run. It's also not necessary and there are plenty of good runs all over the mountain.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Guten Morgen meine Damen und Herren. Today you'll find me on die Senderbahn.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I tried to be a real telemarker and replace my old broken poo poo with used gear but apparently all the other telemarkers never sell anything until it's more old and broken than mine.

The primary ankle buckle on one of my boots failed and the tele community's answer was "don't worry about that one, just leave it loose and feel your way through the turn." Then the bellows developed a crack. I found one pair of 75mm boots for sale locally that almost fit but were a generation older and wouldn't lock into ski mode. The tele community's answer to this is "skiing in walk mode is cool and you just have to feel your way through the turn more."

Well gently caress that the future is now! First turns tonight and a shitshow of a bohemia powder day tomorrow.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Eejit posted:

Guten Morgen meine Damen und Herren. Today you'll find me on die Senderbahn.

Love it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

I tried to be a real telemarker and replace my old broken poo poo with used gear but apparently all the other telemarkers never sell anything until it's more old and broken than mine.

The primary ankle buckle on one of my boots failed and the tele community's answer was "don't worry about that one, just leave it loose and feel your way through the turn." Then the bellows developed a crack. I found one pair of 75mm boots for sale locally that almost fit but were a generation older and wouldn't lock into ski mode. The tele community's answer to this is "skiing in walk mode is cool and you just have to feel your way through the turn more."

Well gently caress that the future is now! First turns tonight and a shitshow of a bohemia powder day tomorrow.

Is that NTN? Let me know if you ever want a cheap set of Axl’s. I have some kicking around in a box from circa 2013. Maybe have 15 days on them.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Day 1 on my 25th season riding Hood. 3-4ish of new over packed stuff. Place is pretty empty and I'm just rolling up to the chair unimpeded. So I've got 15k in 2 hours and my legs are definitely feeling it. Doesn't help that I slightly tweaked my hamstring playing soccer last night.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The key to snowboarding flats is to always go with skiing friends. Poles aren't so bad to carry even on the steeps.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Dangerllama posted:

Is that NTN? Let me know if you ever want a cheap set of Axl’s. I have some kicking around in a box from circa 2013. Maybe have 15 days on them.

Yep, went with the Outlaw X. Thanks for the offer but I've already got a pair of axls to move and if these things work out I don't see myself buying back into 75mm again.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So my trip to big white is just over a week away. I checked their rental catalog and it seems pretty good. Having only ridden 4 snowboards in my life I'm pretty tempted to give the rentals a shot.

Anybody way cooler than me want to take a look at this list and point out some of the cooler boards? I currently ride a fullbag diamond blade for reference. Buttering and riding switch isn't too high on my list of priorities!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like Alpine Meadows had an inbounds avalanche today : https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/several-unaccounted-victims-after-avalanche-at-lake-tahoe-ski-resort-sheriff/2217005/

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

https://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/incident-statement-january-17-2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Was just reading that. Crazy stuff this year.