Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
This is through a guy who runs a shop at my local track (MSR Cresson, in the DFW area). He does in car coaching, not data analysis, so he's cheaper than other pros out there. It's $100 a session for his time, and an additional $35 for the track fees. Depending on how busy the day is, sessions are a minimum of 30 mins, but could be an hour, if your car can go that long I suppose. An hour on track would get me pretty close to fuel starvation levels in some turns I think.

I should get at least 2 sessions in, up to 4. Again, just depends how busy the track is that day. Should be a blast though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That sounds pretty awesome actually. Much more reasonable rate than I was expecting.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

There are several other pro level coaches who spend time at this track. Some of them will do what I'd consider a more complete package, with data analysis, going over video, stuff like that. I'm pretty sure I have enough room to grow that having someone skilled in the right seat and a debrief afterwards will still get me plenty of good feedback.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

Oops, double.

SpaceRangerJoe fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 5, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a driving school that teaches at Toronto Motorsport Park. It's not as cool of a track as Pittsburgh or Watkins Glen, but it's way cheaper and closer. I might do that this year depending on how fast I burn through consumables.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

This is through a guy who runs a shop at my local track (MSR Cresson, in the DFW area). He does in car coaching, not data analysis, so he's cheaper than other pros out there. It's $100 a session for his time, and an additional $35 for the track fees. Depending on how busy the day is, sessions are a minimum of 30 mins, but could be an hour, if your car can go that long I suppose. An hour on track would get me pretty close to fuel starvation levels in some turns I think.

I should get at least 2 sessions in, up to 4. Again, just depends how busy the track is that day. Should be a blast though!

Who is it?
Edit: Nvmd just saw your post on another forum.

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 7, 2019

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

I drive a BBW posted:

Who is it?
Edit: Nvmd just saw your post on another forum.

Nice, I've wondered what kind of crossover there is between here and there. I had figured there wasn't much since the other site is so small.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

Nice, I've wondered what kind of crossover there is between here and there. I had figured there wasn't much since the other site is so small.

It’s one of the only car centric message boards I still go to. It’s nice because there are no politics and only a couple idiots. Most of the Houston crew hang out outside of the track as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This weekend went pretty well at Wild Horse Pass West. The owner of NASA AZ (Tage) rented my friends TT4 AP2 S2000 since he was running his SM, owner ended up mounting sticker A7s. I was on new Maxxis RC1s.

Saturday CCW -
Went alright, TT4 podium all went quicker than the lap record. Only one car went quicker than us all day, regardless of a group (DE/TT/Race) - a TTU Viper ACR on Michelin Slicks that did a 1:00.
Tage did a 1:03.0, Integra on R7s did a 1:03.4, and I did a 1:03.9. I threw away a 1:03:6 by going off.
Lap video + the off that DQ'd the session https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qucT03gK2E

Sunday CW -
First session out Tage went off in front of me and threw away a 1:03:2 lap. I did a 1:03:3 that session.
Second session out was a mess, Tage threw away a 1:03:4. I only did a 1:04 something because my car was moving all over the place under braking and I eventually lost ABS. Found this when I got back to the pits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvuh1a2bKo

Lap video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjxPW5G6Gbc

Anyway, it turned out I bagged TT4 first place, the TT4 lap record, and third quickest car all day regardless of group as the same Viper beat us with another 1:00.

Through contingency I won three more tires and a set of Raybestos pads.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 19, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Of all the failure modes to have, that could have been a lot worse.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seriously, I called the day done after that and skipped UMS Time Attack. When I went to drive the car home I made it a quarter mile before I nope'd out, drove back to the paddock, and had the thing towed home on my friend's trailer. I hadn't realized how bad it was :lol:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
:stare:

Not driving on that is the correct call. Yikes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
You're running Raybestos pads? Comments on compounds, comparison to other pad makers? They're one of the semi-kinda-off-the-shelf pads that Porterfield makes for the FB RX-7 so curious how they compare to say, DTC-60 or PF11.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm not currently, their NASA contingency doesn't specify that you need to be running them to claim. I specified a set of ST43 for my Stoptech C43 calipers and I will swap over to them from the Stoptech SR33 pads I am currently running (and very happy with) once they arrive.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyway, it turned out I bagged TT4 first place, the TT4 lap record, and third quickest car all day regardless of group as the same Viper beat us with another 1:00.

Through contingency I won three more tires and a set of Raybestos pads.

This rules. Didn't you just replace wheel bearings recently (maybe it was the rears or I'm totally wrong here)? Maybe those should be contingency prizes. :lol:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My best friend just lost his engine in his newest gen viper from oil starvation. I guess the long sweepers kill them unless you overfill a couple litres.

$42000 warranty claim!

Edit: and LOL I've never felt anything that corners that hard. Short of a radical but I didn't drive that anywhere near flat out.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 19, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jonathan posted:

My best friend just lost his engine in his newest gen viper from oil starvation. I guess the long sweepers kill them unless you overfill a couple litres.

$42000 warranty claim!

Edit: and LOL I've never felt anything that corners that hard. Short of a radical but I didn't drive that anywhere near flat out.

That is ridiculous, I'd have expected them to have been dry sumped from the factory. Are they really not?

Suburban Dad posted:

This rules. Didn't you just replace wheel bearings recently (maybe it was the rears or I'm totally wrong here)? Maybe those should be contingency prizes. :lol:

I wish, you can get HPD contingency but it isn't really useful. Mazda has that covered really well though, I believe.

I replaced a rear wheel bearing and hub a few weeks ago, I went ahead and ordered new wheel bearings and hubs for the other corners. I don't feel like learning this lesson again.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

That is ridiculous, I'd have expected them to have been dry sumped from the factory. Are they really not?

I wish, you can get HPD contingency but it isn't really useful. Mazda has that covered really well though, I believe.

I replaced a rear wheel bearing and hub a few weeks ago, I went ahead and ordered new wheel bearings and hubs for the other corners. I don't feel like learning this lesson again.

I did some research before. The previous gens had a swiveling pickup that followed the g forces. The new one is apparently dry sump but they still have starvation issues. I won't go into specifics as to how he got the claim put through. But he picked me up at the airport in that thing and it's pretty rad and also kind of embarassing to be driven around in. Like lifted h2 hummer embarassing.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Not sure if S2000s follow the trend, but OEM honda hubs outlast any aftermarket ones on our eg/ek racecars by like a factor of 10. OEMs go for 5+ seasons and the aftermarket could barely make 1.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

https://www.nasaproracing.com/news/2019/7/nasa_introduces_new_endurance_series_-_no_comp_license_required

Could be interesting.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The ST/TT rules for 2020 are out also,
https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/20305/ST1-4___SU_Rules_2020--v14.1--11-20-19.pdf

I believe the cliffs are as follows:
Toyo RR now counts as a 100tw tire for points and that group gets buffed by a tenth of a point to +0.6
Dual clutch OEM boxes get nerfed a bit and are now -0.6 from -0.3
Some points to hurt the purpose built touring car FWDs
ST4/TT4 cars over 3000lb are allowed tires that fit the 282mm template up from 266mm

This weekend kinda sucked, Saturday was third behind two hoosier cars; Sunday was second behind a hoosier car which means I finished 2nd overall in TT4 for the region. Maxxis owes me 8 tires at this point and I haven't heard a word. This is the part where I seriously think about buying a set of A7s and doing some contingency sniping on days that we meet the min entry count, I am already well within the envelope time wise (sub second per minute of track).

Garbage video of quickest lap, you can hear inside wheel spin out of three corners in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix5L0lwScgk I bought a used OS Giken built by BlackWatch Racing, it just hasn't arrived yet.

Crustashio posted:

Not sure if S2000s follow the trend, but OEM honda hubs outlast any aftermarket ones on our eg/ek racecars by like a factor of 10. OEMs go for 5+ seasons and the aftermarket could barely make 1.

Yeah, I went with OEM because like you said, that stuff fails and it isn't fun when it does.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 11, 2019

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
odd question... How much up travel/bound is enough ?

I've got my ride height set for 12cm of uptravel currently. This is for my ice racing UTV, so it will be slightly rougher than a pavement racetrack, but I also have 30" tires so there is some sidewall give aswell. Waiting on the plows to finish the course and then I'll do some testing. Also im really hoping the coils stay seated. I might have to run limiting straps, as these shocks extend very very far.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
x-post from the hothatch thread;

Finally got to take the Golf R to the track. They do a Winter X at the Utah Motorsports Complex and luckily there was a nice clean track to run on. It was a blast just getting to feel how the car reacts under these conditions rather than just street driving. I was impressed with how well it handled considering I have my winter tires on. I absolutely missed the driving lines most of the time, haha. I would be fun to get an instructor in the car and really start learning. After this it has me wanting for a cheap track car I can really thrash on. Fun times were had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7XFjAsC9IA

Please tell me all the ways I can improve!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Not bad for a beginner at all. The two main things I'd coach you on are:

1. Use all of the Track. You have a tendency to hug the inside edge of the track in many places where you'd be better off using more width of the track - E.G. turns 5 and 6. Using more width means it's not as tight of a curve, which will allow you to go faster through the corner. By default, every corner should start on the full outside edge of the track, turn-in and drive all the way down to the inside edge at the apex, then track out all the way back to the outside edge. Sometimes two corners are too close together to allow a fully apexed turn for each, and then you need to compromise.
2. Slow in, Fast Out. Work on doing at least 90% of the braking for a corner while still going straight before you turn in. Then turn in. Then as you drive away from the apex you should be in good shape and able to apply more gas as you track out. This will help you get consistent turns from the corners and produces better lap times than fast-in slow-out where you come in with very late braking and spend the corner trying to get the car slowed down and pointing in the right direction.

e: Definitely sign up for an instructed HPDE event. You'll see big gains right away. Don't worry about a dedicated track car, a Golf R will be great to get started with.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 13, 2020

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
Yes it was fun just learning how to manage everything at a different rate than normal. I need to work on my better downshifts but any sort of heal-toe seems impossible with this pedal setup. That for the inputs! With the gap they put in between us I had no real way to see the driving line anyone else was taking. I have the track map below. We ran on the west course.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't worry about shifting. I know it's tempting to work on it, but it's the least important thing in the world right now. Literally leave the car in 3rd gear the entire time and you'll be faster because it's one less thing you have to worry about. You'll still have plenty of torque. Do NOT try to learn heel-toe on a track. Learn heel-toe when you're driving and coming up to a stop sign or traffic light. If you mess up and don't rev match properly on the track, you're going to upset the balance of the car right before a turn and end up sideways. If you mess up stopping in a straight line on the street, you'll just buck the car and feel dumb or stall the engine in the worst case.

Focus on your cornering instead. See those dashed lines? Those are rumble strips and are there because those are the places they expect you to go to the very end of the track in a turn. A good way to practice is to try to kiss every single rumble strip you pass with the outside of your tires, even if you don't need the space to turn. You don't have to drive on them (and shouldn't if it's wet), you just want to graze them with the outside of your tire. It gets you used to using the entire track and helps you understand the intended driving line.

Another important thing is to work on smoothness. Don't jab the brakes, try to go on them gradually and feel for the car shifting weight as you do. Everything needs to happen deliberately, with only one input at a time - brake OR turn OR accelerate. If you're on the pedals, you should be going straight. This will change as you get better, but right now, you just need to focus on doing one thing and not multitasking so much.

Definitely sign up for an HPDE. Someone experienced being in the car with you is a massive help.

Edit: Here's a good example of someone getting instruction on that same track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdk_qYikSg

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 13, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Keep in mind that using the whole track might not make sense until the car is pretty much always under some level of slip angle and it goes in hand with keeping the steering unwound as much as possible since steering input is effectively a form of braking.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Keep in mind that using the whole track might not make sense until the car is pretty much always under some level of slip angle and it goes in hand with keeping the steering unwound as much as possible since steering input is effectively a form of braking.

It's what my HPDE 1 instructor had me do whenever we were stuck behind a Miata and it did a great job of teaching me where all the turn-in points were to get the most out of the track. It did a good job of teaching the track, even though I agree it didn't feel anywhere near the same as when you need to use the whole track. That being said, when I did need to use the whole track because I overcooked the entry, the practice definitely helped :haw:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sorry, yeah, you're right. I was trying to say "sense" as in why am I doing this versus the line / throttle / steering input requiring you to use all of the track. :)

Also, you've brought up another good point. Follow the local spec miata heros, if you can.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 13, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry, yeah, you're right. I was trying to say "sense" as in why am I doing this versus the line / throttle / steering input requiring you to use all of the track. :)

Oh, right. Yeah - it took me a while to get why the instructor was having me do certain drills but it definitely helped.

Another good one is to intentionally hit all the apexes early one lap and late the next lap to see what a difference it makes. Just make sure you're not going too fast when you do the early apex....

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, you've brought up another good point. Follow the local spec miata heros, if you can.

There are some fast Miata drivers out there. But this was HPDE 1, so those ones were decidedly not.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 13, 2020

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a phobia of rumble strips because of track days on motorcycles.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Question for the track day experts: can you recommend a tire for HPDE/autocross/ backroads driving?

I own a E46 M3 that I’m looking to start tracking this spring, but at the most amateur level: HPDE w/ instructor. I’d like to continue auto crossing and ripping around backroads as well, so an all around performance tire would be best. I’ve considered the Michelin PS4S, but had some friends recommend the Dunlop Direzza instead. Curious to know the thoughts of those that have made the rounds between tires.

Generally, my biggest concern is breakaway characteristics, as I don’t need to be kissing any barriers so soon. :D

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Direzzas are a really great value tire that’s good on the track and fine on the street. Rain performance is poor, but nearly all performance - categorized tires are this way.

They offer plenty of grip and last for many track days until you start to get better.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Hankook RS4's are also fantastic and last forever (for a trackday/autox tire anyway).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ganondork posted:

Question for the track day experts: can you recommend a tire for HPDE/autocross/ backroads driving?

I own a E46 M3 that I’m looking to start tracking this spring, but at the most amateur level: HPDE w/ instructor. I’d like to continue auto crossing and ripping around backroads as well, so an all around performance tire would be best. I’ve considered the Michelin PS4S, but had some friends recommend the Dunlop Direzza instead. Curious to know the thoughts of those that have made the rounds between tires.

Generally, my biggest concern is breakaway characteristics, as I don’t need to be kissing any barriers so soon. :D

:) :hf: :)

What up fellow E46 M3 HPDE newbie? I just got to where I'm driving without an instructor sometimes.

I have Michelin Pilot Sports on mine right now and they're pretty solid, did me especially well one time when it rained hardcore. But I also feel like they could be better?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 15, 2020

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Sup dood!

@TrueChaos I saw that the RS4’s had a similar performance profile. I’ll have a deeper look into them at some point.

I also picked up a full Status Gruppe exhaust during their Christmas sale. Really excited for the warmer months to come!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I think the pilot sport line is the best all-rounder. Can't go wrong with PS4S - it's plenty of track tire for a beginner. There are definitely tires that offer more grip for track/autocross, but they have tradeoffs in road manners you might not want to make. Once you're ready to buy a dedicated set of wheels for track tires, and have some experience under your belt, you can move up to something with more grip.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yeah, it’s a seriously good tire.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
At this point, it’s between the PS4S and the Dunlop Direzza ZIII. Many friends recommend the Direzza, and one had the PS4S, but didn’t like them. I think they would lose grip faster than he was used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
What gopros are ya'lls using I've got a Hero 3 something which works ok, but depending on the conditions it can make the picture look very washed out. Dunno if it's because the interior is pretty dark compared to the light coming in from the windscreen.

I noticed you can get refurbished Hero 6 black ones for a decent price but I wonder if they'd be any better.

Then I could maybe stick the 3 somewhere on the outside of the car

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 15, 2020