Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I gave up on general purpose cameras years ago and spent the coin for an AIM smartycamHD setup. Much happier for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has anyone done the Evolution Autocross school? Thinking about giving it a shot. Seems like a pretty good deal: instruction and 20+ runs in a day for like, $250 bucks or so.

What I should really do is some sort of track/racing school this year.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SlapActionJackson posted:

I gave up on general purpose cameras years ago and spent the coin for an AIM smartycamHD setup. Much happier for it.

I don't think I do enough trackdays to warrant an 800 quid camera though

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
@Residency - Definitely give the track some serious consideration. Like an rear end, my first “track day” was the Nurburgring. Wife was preggers with the little one, and was willing to check a few boxes off the bucket list with me. Went to Spa for an F1 race, and then drove to the Nurburgring and drove 4 laps. Those 4 laps were the best vacation plans I’ve ever made. My only regret is not forcing myself to train more in the sims to learn the track.

All that said, driving a track is a far more exhilarating experience than autoX. AutoX is lots of fun, but the track is something else.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't class Touristfahren as a trackday though, more of a freeforall.

Like I wouldn't take my personal car on a Touristfahren session, but I would do with the cheapest possible ring rental. Every time I check the deposits for anything slightly fast is insane.

I'm hoping to at least do an actual trackday at the ring this year, or maybe spa if I can't make the ring. But it didn't help that I crashed my car at donington park last year.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

track day bro! posted:

What gopros are ya'lls using I've got a Hero 3 something which works ok, but depending on the conditions it can make the picture look very washed out. Dunno if it's because the interior is pretty dark compared to the light coming in from the windscreen.

I noticed you can get refurbished Hero 6 black ones for a decent price but I wonder if they'd be any better.

Then I could maybe stick the 3 somewhere on the outside of the car

I went from a 3 to two 6es and I have been happy.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

track day bro! posted:

What gopros are ya'lls using I've got a Hero 3 something which works ok, but depending on the conditions it can make the picture look very washed out. Dunno if it's because the interior is pretty dark compared to the light coming in from the windscreen.

I noticed you can get refurbished Hero 6 black ones for a decent price but I wonder if they'd be any better.

Then I could maybe stick the 3 somewhere on the outside of the car

Anything above the Hero 5 (I think) has polarization and light balancing poo poo which makes the end result much nicer. I also still use a 3 and while it was ok in my Subaru, something in my Evo makes it look more washed out for sure. Also the newer ones have stabilization built in which is nice because I mount mine with screws on to the dome light brace, which as I've discovered is not exactly stable. Based on watching my friends videos that have newer ones, it's worth the money if you end up rewatching vids before days to see where you can improve and whatnot.

I have an AIM datalogger and have considered the smartycam but the price is just insane for what I use it for.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've had nothing but problems with my GoPros (shutting off when plugged in while running, random full lockups, turning off mid-session), I'm about to pony up for the Smartycam since it integrates so loving well with the AIM. They hold their value really well too, unlike GoPros.

We pool data locally, but it is nice when people are able to just pull video with data overlaid between sessions.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 15, 2020

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
EDIT: nevermind

The contrast, frame rate, definition, color depth are all measurably better on the 6 than the 3. The 6 has also had better battery life and reliability for me than the 3 (especially with the LCD screen back pack).

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 15, 2020

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've had nothing but problems with my GoPros (shutting off when plugged in while running, random full lockups, turning off mid-session)

I've had similar luck with a GoPro3. I always seem to miss the exciting offs because the camera decided to just shut off mid session. I impulse bought some knock off action cam on Amazon this weekend. It will do 4k@24, or 1080@60. I figure for $17 it's worth a shot until I want to pony up for a newer GoPro.

I got signed up for another HPDE in North Texas for the beginning of February. I like the HPDE groups around here, but I really need to look into TT or something so I can advance more.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

track day bro! posted:

Whatever you do, don't get the Hero 5, I have it and you have to redo the spot metering / light settings whenever the thing gets turned off. Pain in the rear end.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Same for the 7, and it has to be done using the touch screen

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don’t get a hero 4, the microphone immediately died on mine despite using it 3 times

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I've had nothing but problems with my GoPros (shutting off when plugged in while running, random full lockups, turning off mid-session), I'm about to pony up for the Smartycam since it integrates so loving well with the AIM.

All that stuff happens to me also. Sometimes I feel more like the GoPro troubleshooting guy than the driver. I've taken to filming less because of the hassle of their unreliability.

I've considered the same re: smartycam also since I have an AIM.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Mines been pretty reliable apart from the washed out thing, I never knew they were so flaky. I just bought a bunch of duracell batteries for mine and swap em out during the day.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I've had similar luck with a GoPro3. I always seem to miss the exciting offs because the camera decided to just shut off mid session. I impulse bought some knock off action cam on Amazon this weekend. It will do 4k@24, or 1080@60. I figure for $17 it's worth a shot until I want to pony up for a newer GoPro.

I got signed up for another HPDE in North Texas for the beginning of February. I like the HPDE groups around here, but I really need to look into TT or something so I can advance more.

Please don’t do SCCA TT. Have you been to a NASA event yet?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
NASA :getin:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Speaking of NASA, what's the current forerunner for NASA SM wheels? JRW, Koesei K1s?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Can anyone share info on the Hoosier move? How long do they really last with respect to HCs, and how much slower are they once they fall off the HC plateau before they cord?
I assume you run the R7 if you're doing something like a 225 on 10" and an A7 if you're doing a 245 on a 9" in order to manage heat, or does it not matter? This assumes you need to fit under the 266mm template.

I am mostly wondering if this really is a $1200/weekend thing if you miss out on contingency.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

I drive a BBW posted:

Please don’t do SCCA TT. Have you been to a NASA event yet?

I have not been to any NASA events. Why do you say avoid SCCA? Since I currently lack a truck and trailer and my car is just barely streetable I'd probably just be looking for event's at the track near my house, at least for now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I dont know what I drive a bbws experience has been. God that's a great username.

I've found scca to be very rules lawyer plus amateur racing is dead serious no fun motorsports. NASA seems to understand that almost everyone is there for the love of the game.

If you want to spec Miata in hopes of a pro ride probably go scca. Outside of that NASA will get you more track time and flexibility. It's easier to cheat in NASA in some classes I guess?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I set another PB at Wild Horse Pass East today and had the TT4 lead by a tenth of a second, second full session out I grenaded the OS Giken I just installed. It lived a full life of about 100 street miles and twenty five minutes of track time.

The guy I am normally battling mounted sticker R7s and beat me by 4 hundredths of a second. :allears: :suicide: RIP to tomorrow and next month.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

second full session out I grenaded the OS Giken I just installed. It lived a full life of about 100 street miles and twenty five minutes of track time.

drat that's unlucky. What caused it to let go so early?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
drat that sucks

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably something that was my fault, I'll post pictures when I get it out of the car. I think there are holes in the diff case though, so that is a good sign :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I honestly don't know what you could do wrong to a brand new high quality diff to cause it to explode in 100 miles. Except like, install it wrong?

Even if you just fully raced the engine from completely cold, I would think the diff would be able to cope just fine?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I set another PB at Wild Horse Pass East today and had the TT4 lead by a tenth of a second, second full session out I grenaded the OS Giken I just installed. It lived a full life of about 100 street miles and twenty five minutes of track time.

The guy I am normally battling mounted sticker R7s and beat me by 4 hundredths of a second. :allears: :suicide: RIP to tomorrow and next month.

did you use OS giken fluid?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zaphod42 posted:

I honestly don't know what you could do wrong to a brand new high quality diff to cause it to explode in 100 miles. Except like, install it wrong?

Even if you just fully raced the engine from completely cold, I would think the diff would be able to cope just fine?

AP1 diff cases are known to be relatively weak and the actual diff was an OS Giken with an early build spec that was known for weak side gears. I should have pulled the diff out and sent it in to be updated to the new build spec for $180 when I realized what it was, rather than ASSuming it would be fine to run for a handful of weekends until the off season this summer.

TWSS posted:

did you use OS giken fluid?

Yeah.

Anyway, I'm closing on a house this week so the car needs to be able to move for that. I suppose I'll have carnage pictures later today :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 26, 2020

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
If you have the receipt for the fluid you can probably get it warrantied.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Was it a used diff? Or new? My friend broke an mfactory helical and they replaced it after he had been racing on it for years.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only real thing you can mess up with an install is the shimming for the R&P gears. so either the r&p self destructed and maybe sent a tooth into the spiders or it was a material failure of the diff itself. Well I guess the caps could have failed too. Did it seize up and spin you or do the marbles in a coffee can thing ?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I bought it as a complete used differential unit, I pulled it out of the car and posted some pictures over in the mechanical failure thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=1008#post501969323
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=1008#post501969659

Appears to me that it was the classic AP1 failure where the caps walk, R&P misalignment, and everything eats itself. Oh well. The OSG itself is fine, I'll send it off to them for the update/refresh and stick it into another unit. Putting my original diff back into the car tonight so I can move it this week.

edit because the word diff is confusing me now that I think about referring to the entire assembly and the actual differential itself :wtf:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 27, 2020

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

It was used, I pulled it out of the car and posted some pictures over in the mechanical failure thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=1008#post501969323
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=1008#post501969659

Appears to me that it was the classic AP1 diff failure where the caps walk, R&P misalignment, and everything eats itself. Oh well. The diff itself is fine, I'll send it off to OSG for their $180 rebuild / retune and stick it into another unit.

God drat that ring gear. I wonder if the gearing jammed up and blew out the cap. Whatever that thing is called, bearing cap I guess. Or if the cap broke and then the gears misaligned.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think it broke the cap on track as there was no change in power delivery, just noise. Everything else probably followed when it completely locked up getting back to my pit spot then spun freely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://speedsociety.com/driveshaft-rips-through-roof-hits-driver-drag-race/

Christ

https://youtu.be/Lw4VUgDxa5Q

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a reason driveshaft loops are A Thing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The video said he had one, and a bell housing blanket.

Buy then again he had a $100 Gforce helmet.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

FatCow posted:

Buy then again he had a $100 Gforce helmet.

Out of curiosity, if the helmet was appropriately rated, what's the issue here? I use a relatively inexpensive SA2015 racequip helmet that fits me well and is comfortable for extended periods of time.

Would I like a carbon fiber helmet with better airflow? Sure. But would that helmet be "safer" than my current one, or just more comfortable? (I honestly don't know here - I figured as long as it's appropriately rated, more expensive just meant lighter weight / more comfortable)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think it’s more indicative of how seriously someone might take safety issues. Like the helmet is probably fine from a safety perspective, but can speak volumes in context.

If someone shows up to a track day in an NA Miata with a open face G Force helmet on 14” daisies, that tracks.

If someone shows up in a 2019 Corvette with an aftermarket supercharger, R7s, a gooseneck mounted wing on the back... and no cage or fire extinguisher, and they’re borrowing a loaner helmet from the club hosting the event... well, uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Id be interested to know if it was a bolt together summit racing driveshaft loop or a welded tube loop.