Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
City 40 is a documentary about the closest city to Mayak; it’s worth tracking down if you want to see how the Russians are continuing the fine Soviet tradition of sweeping this place under the rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It’s a really good documentary, if it’s the one I think it is.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

It’s a really good documentary, if it’s the one I think it is.

I have no idea how I watched it; was it on a major streaming service at some point?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain von Trapp posted:

One bomb worth of fission products shouldn't be too bad after forty years of decay. At least not by the usual standards of Soviet nuclear material in Ukraine.

Does being direct-injected into the water table change the impact level though?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Went to Cape Canaveral a couple weeks ago and took the early space tour, which goes to missile row, the Explorer 1 launchpad and blockhouse, as well as the Freedom 7 launchpad and blockhouse, and the site of the Apollo I fire.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Stravag posted:

The same whack job who came up with the bop drive

Is that anything like the H.O.P. Drive?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Blistex posted:

Is that anything like the H.O.P. Drive?

I dont know what that is but the bop drive was this genius's way to beat the laws of physics to use a giant hammer on an arm to hit a spaceship in the rear end and propel it forward

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Stravag posted:

I dont know what that is but the bop drive was this genius's way to beat the laws of physics to use a giant hammer on an arm to hit a spaceship in the rear end and propel it forward
Similar in operation to the Bop Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNzIA1FZsyQ

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

toplitzin posted:

My favorite item from that trip was the Russian gently caress You Moon Balls.

Cosmosphere in Hutchinson KS

The Cosmosphere is incredibly cool and it's insane that such a quality museum with so many artifacts is located in the middle of loving nowhere Kansas.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

NosmoKing posted:

I don’t have pics because I forgot my loving phone when I went, but I had the chance to go to the Riga Aviation Museum in Latvia.

It should be called the Riga aviation junkyard, but it’s the COOLEST JUNKYARD EVER!!!

poo poo that I never would have thought I would get to see when I was a kid was just sitting there along the weeds in the shadow of the Riga airport.

Yeah, that's how I got to it. Spotted through the window of the plane while landing... I think. Anyways, here's the full album

Some choice pics:

The Polish Army museum has a few Cold War pieces as well:

[

(There's a T-55 in the background)

Not-entirely-Cold-War: NATO fighter missions in Lithuania have left some crosses on our famous Hill of Crosses:

I may upload Kbely if the thread be interested.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

david_a posted:

I have no idea how I watched it; was it on a major streaming service at some point?

I’m having the same problem. I know I watched a documentary about a closed soviet city, where activists are now trying to do things like get people the right kind of medical care but because their birth certificates all say they were born in the nearest not-secret city, the Russian government keeps telling them to go pound radioactive sand. But I can’t rememberer where I saw it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I know I saw it on a streaming service first, and then found it again on youtube when recommending it to a friend. It's still up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piX13cLw32w

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo how did this not get more love?

Phanatic posted:

Oh, yeah, speaking of Chernobyl:

:five:

Content

As to Soviet fighter designations; click this.

Basically, they assigned a designer prefix and a sequential number. Most of the time. It was pretty arbitrary.

Also, I’d like to take this opportunity to restate my dislike of the post-cold-war habit of using GRAU numbers to refer to Russian hardware, instead of NATO reporting names.

:spergin:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MrYenko posted:

As to Soviet fighter designations; click this.

Glad they dropped this bullshit.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Also, I’d like to take this opportunity to restate my dislike of the post-cold-war habit of using GRAU numbers to refer to Russian hardware, instead of NATO reporting names.

:spergin:

Wait, so you're saying that "S-300 complex consist of 5V55R, 48N6E and 9M96E1 missiles, launched from 5P85TE TELs, guided by 83M6E system which, in turn, consists of 64N6E search radar, 30N6E1 fire control radar, with 76N6 low altitude radar and 96L6E radar, all commanded from 5P851 command vehicle" isn't perfectly reasonable?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gervasius posted:

Wait, so you're saying that "S-300 complex consist of 5V55R, 48N6E and 9M96E1 missiles, launched from 5P85TE TELs, guided by 83M6E system which, in turn, consists of 64N6E search radar, 30N6E1 fire control radar, with 76N6 low altitude radar and 96L6E radar, all commanded from 5P851 command vehicle" isn't perfectly reasonable?

This drives me nuts in DCS.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is there an enemy missile equivalent to Fox 1/2/3?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The US‘s Iranian system naming conventions can get hosed.

“Let’s just put IR in front of names to designate an Iranian system.”

So, for example, an IR-SA-3 is an Iranian SA-3?

“No, stupid, it’s an Iranian SAM system and may well have zilch to do with an SA-3.”

Hey are we going to come up with shorthands for their ballistic missiles or just all learn to write Anglicized versions of Farsi names?

“Zolfaghar is a beautiful word.”

And it means?

“Spine-cleaver, roughly”

:black101:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Hey are we going to come up with shorthands for their ballistic missiles or just all learn to write Anglicized versions of Farsi names?

And it means?

“Spine-cleaver, roughly”

:stwoon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a reason Soviet nuclear safety practices were so bad?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mlmp08 posted:

The US‘s Iranian system naming conventions can get hosed.

“Let’s just put IR in front of names to designate an Iranian system.”

So, for example, an IR-SA-3 is an Iranian SA-3?

“No, stupid, it’s an Iranian SAM system and may well have zilch to do with an SA-3.”

And it means?

“Spine-cleaver, roughly”

I mean, it only seems fair, given the level of care and forethought that goes into all the rest of our Iran policies

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zoux posted:

It's a big country, and they had little regard for preserving its beauty/biosphere over 'results.'

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

zoux posted:

If I had to guess, safety, nuclear or not, wasn't a high priority. Consider the effects of a low valuation of human life, a beauracracy filled with unattainable goals and unreliable reports that punished failure, a highly restrictive media that kept issues from the public, a history of disappearing people who verbally spread news or questioned government actions, and a general lack of workers rights.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
There are some Cold War related photos here: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09/the-porsche-taycan-every-bit-as-good-as-a-200000-porsche-should-be/

We stumbled across a museum of East German tanks and poo poo while driving through Denmark.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a big country, and they had little regard for preserving its beauty/biosphere over 'results.'

Natural beauty is only benefited by nuclear contamination since it makes areas uninhabitable to humans. Plants tend to thrive. Sure, some animals arent seen in the area any more, but no more so than from urbanization.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We must nuke Yellowstone in order to save it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Grand Canyon does have a lot of uranium just lying around...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://t.co/gNSVcbqv9c?amp=1

NYT has a good breakdown of the myth of the term “Steel Rain” coming from Iraqis and MLRS DPICM performance in combat in Iraq compared to its advertised use against Russian armored formations.

tl;dr more duds than planned/expected from both fuse failures and also the environment (soft sand), and in a friendly fire incident, the DPICM rounds failed to disable Bradleys or even some Chevy SUVs that US troops were using.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

piL posted:

If I had to guess, safety, nuclear or not, wasn't a high priority. Consider the effects of a low valuation of human life, a beauracracy filled with unattainable goals and unreliable reports that punished failure, a highly restrictive media that kept issues from the public, a history of disappearing people who verbally spread news or questioned government actions, and a general lack of workers rights.

Also a population in general even less educated than America's with even worse general working and environmental conditions.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Is there an enemy missile equivalent to Fox 1/2/3?

If by that you mean, is there a term for saying "an enemy plane has launched a SAR/IR/AR missile at you", then no. At least not in the ALSA brevity manual where Fox 1/2/3 are defined.

Well, I guess there's "Vampire" for a hostile air-to-surface anti-ship missile. But that's the only one that comes to mind.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If by that you mean, is there a term for saying "an enemy plane has launched a SAR/IR/AR missile at you", then no. At least not in the ALSA brevity manual where Fox 1/2/3 are defined.

Well, I guess there's "Vampire" for a hostile air-to-surface anti-ship missile. But that's the only one that comes to mind.

There's SPIKE, for "I've been lit up with radar", and SINGER which is also for radar warning (I think the difference is air-to-air vs ground based?) but the brevity code for a hostile SAM is "SAM".

The list makes fun reading:
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a404426.pdf

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

mlmp08 posted:

https://t.co/gNSVcbqv9c?amp=1

NYT has a good breakdown of the myth of the term “Steel Rain” coming from Iraqis and MLRS DPICM performance in combat in Iraq compared to its advertised use against Russian armored formations.

tl;dr more duds than planned/expected from both fuse failures and also the environment (soft sand), and in a friendly fire incident, the DPICM rounds failed to disable Bradleys or even some Chevy SUVs that US troops were using.

The author, John Ismay is former Navy EOD. CJ Chivers and a few others convinced the NY Times to hire actual vets to do military reporting and they've cranked out some great articles.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I wonder if its the bomblet design itself thats at fault? I'll try and ask some Russian spergs and see what the dud rate for their systems is like.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

For those of you willing to brave the onslaught of racist family members on Facebook, I have some content collected there: Cold War Ironmongery

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Captain von Trapp posted:

Endoatmospheric intercept gives you basically no battlespace against ICBM threats. The atmosphere is only tens of kilometers thick, and an incoming RV is moving at km/s velocities.

If you're curious about slapping a nuke on the interceptor, it doesn't really buy you all that much. RVs are pretty stout.

I just want nuclear tipped everything :911::hf::ussr:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm imagining the Sprint and Orion folks sitting around a table. Half of them said nah, half of them got a boner.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Yes, but what about ABM sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1217469496400760834

Curtis LeMay no!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gently caress yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter