Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I never touched RPO but I did listen to 372 pages we'll never get back's read through of it, and Armada, Cline's book that even RPO fans thought was absolutely dire.

http://372pages.com/

Even with Michael J Nelson as a companion it was quite a journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

watho posted:

doesn’t rpo have the main character drive a mashup of the delorian from back to the future, kit from knight rider, and the ecto 1 from ghostbusters? like just one would’ve been kinda eye roll inducing but he went the extra mile

The author actually OWNS that car, so it's extra eye-rolling.

Also RPO doesn't just do surface references, it'll occasionally pull the brakes on the plot and talk down to the reader about some references, like you briefly mentioned a film they like at a party and they managed to successfully crowd you into a corner to talk down to you with a diatribe about it, for several pages.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

To the normal person wasn't IG-88 a Star Wars character who showed up in one scene in the movies with no lines? You'd have to be a real nerd (in the negative sense) to know who the gently caress he is.

Yes. IG-88 shows up for two* scenes in Empire Strikes Back and is neither named in nor the focus of either. He's there in the group of bounty hunters Vader summons before the Cloud City sequence, and then in the smelter in Cloud City when Chewie finds C-3PO's body, you can see IG-88's head (spray painted pure white) against the furnace mouth. He has like 5 seconds of screen time total.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But since IG-11 showed up on Mandalorian you'll see a billion hot takes from clickbait websites giving you all the inane lore and backstory of the IG droid model line. But none of it will be as good as the story where IG-88 hacked the Death Star 2 and trolled Palpatine by closing doors on him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Leal posted:

In my will my petty savings will be given only to those who can properly dance the Lambada

I shall leave my collection of tabletop rpgs and old video games "to the strongest".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MonsieurChoc posted:

He gets to have whatever Mech he wants and chooses his favorite even though it's not that strong. And I get that, but the plot is still ongoing, there's supposed to be huge stakes! Take one of the absurdly overpowered ones like Ideon or Zeorymer or Gunbuster or whatever rights you can amnage that's still ludicrously overpowered! And then maybe the bad guys get one of the other ones and we see titans clash or something happens or whatever to make sure the opposition isn't just curbstomped. But the point is, this is a race against the bad guy, act like it matters!

The real reason is because Cline doesn't know what any of those anime robots are and he can't be assed to even do a google search to know if what the things he's talking about in his book are correct or not in regards to the brief window where he does talk about them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
HK-47 is the only important star wars droid. I think he even had like clones being the Republic security droids?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Eek I seem to have unintentionally started a big RPO convo when I only wanted to talk about how Renegade Cut tends to be a bit of an rear end with his arguments

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I don't follow film news so I saw this post and thought HOLY loving poo poo they finally did it they are doing a Russian Revolution film for our day and age and no, it is a WW1 film

trickery and deceit have owned me

i like ww1 stuff. its facinating and depressing to see how a turf dispute spread because a bunch of inbred fucks who were all family wanted to be richer or prove stupid points.

Arcsquad12 posted:

One of my favourite bits of info about Ernest Cline is how he was involved in the movie Fanboys. He's listed as the writer for the film, but Jay Baruchel came out and admitted that the script Cline gave them was unusable so they sat down and did a page one rewrite of the whole thing. Cline disputed this claim and declared that the movie was released the way he intended it to be. But, being more familiar with his work now, I'm inclined to believe Jay Baruchel's side of things. Fanboys is a bad movie, but it's more of a boring stoner comedy kind of bad with some need ephemera glued to it than the kind of self indulgent pit of media references that defines an Ernest Cline product. So now I'm left wondering how much worse Fanboys would have been if they had used Cline's original script.

lol, jokes on him, i actually went to lucas ranch and the archive. saw the death star 2 prop and fought with real lightsabers. i went there 15 or so years ago for make a wish. yeah i have pictures. maybe post later.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 15, 2020

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Raenir Salazar posted:

HK-47 is the only important star wars droid. I think he even had like clones being the Republic security droids?

gonk. droid.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I don't follow film news so I saw this post and thought HOLY loving poo poo they finally did it they are doing a Russian Revolution film for our day and age and no, it is a WW1 film

trickery and deceit have owned me

I saw the trailer and when the posh officer looked afraid that he would lose 1500 men I laughed.

No officers gave a poo poo about losing their men, certainly not so few compared to how many they sent to the slaughter.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

To the normal person wasn't IG-88 a Star Wars character who showed up in one scene in the movies with no lines? You'd have to be a real nerd (in the negative sense) to know who the gently caress he is.

He was also a boss in the N64 Shadow of the Empire so you could also just be a kid in the 90s/early 00s.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I saw the trailer and when the posh officer looked afraid that he would lose 1500 men I laughed.

No officers gave a poo poo about losing their men, certainly not so few compared to how many they sent to the slaughter.

kinda. its near the end of the war and 1917 was still uncertain for victory in europa, russia just poo poo itself and is only sorta in the war and while the middle east campaigns had went well, it was a mixed bag with the allied offensives.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Ernest Cline deliberately endangered himself and others on the road in his dumb Back To The Future car specifically so he could get a ticket for speeding at exactly 88 miles per hour. gently caress him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

There is the cut content of the HK droid factory in KotOR 2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

poetically when he hit 88 miles an hour he adjusted the rear-view mirror so he could give himself an congratulatory smile.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Officers actually had a disproportionately high casualty count in WWI, which had some interesting effects on postwar British society (like the Labour Party coming completely out of nowhere to displace the Liberals as one of the two main political parties in the country). By 1917, a few of them were definitely going 'oh poo poo, I might be one of those 1500'.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah British officers had fairly suicidal doctrines for a stupidly long time. A captain needs to serve as an example to his men, which means standing tall and showing no fear in the face of the enemy. Which means putting yourself in full view of the enemy and marching very slowly and properly towards them. This behaviour continued into WW2 and even into Korea and the Falklands. It's still part of the British army nowadays, albeit in a much more muted fashion. You still set the example and be posh, but not at the expense of being suicidally dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

But since IG-11 showed up on Mandalorian you'll see a billion hot takes from clickbait websites giving you all the inane lore and backstory of the IG droid model line. But none of it will be as good as the story where IG-88 hacked the Death Star 2 and trolled Palpatine by closing doors on him.

You missed the best part: he gained complete control over the station literally 1 second before Lando and Wedge destroyed the main reactor.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah British officers had fairly suicidal doctrines for a stupidly long time. A captain needs to serve as an example to his men, which means standing tall and showing no fear in the face of the enemy. Which means putting yourself in full view of the enemy and marching very slowly and properly towards them. This behaviour continued into WW2 and even into Korea and the Falklands. It's still part of the British army nowadays, albeit in a much more muted fashion. You still set the example and be posh, but not at the expense of being suicidally dumb.

It worked when the prequesite for battle was that the enemy should under no circumstances carry guns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kim Justice posted:

It worked when the prequesite for battle was that the enemy should under no circumstances carry guns.

It was a viciously sharp mango, Dougie.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Baka-nin posted:

I never touched RPO but I did listen to 372 pages we'll never get back's read through of it, and Armada, Cline's book that even RPO fans thought was absolutely dire.

http://372pages.com/

Even with Michael J Nelson as a companion it was quite a journey.
I listened to Wil wheaton read the whole of RPO for this podcast and thats probably the best way to enjoy it but boy did I not want to read along with Clines second book and it turned out the podcast is fine even if you don't participate in the book club aspect at all.

Also I hope they move on to something batshit and fun again once the slog through shadowmoon is over, I would take more Tek War over Chris Claremont's expanded willow universe at this point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

I listened to Wil wheaton read the whole of RPO for this podcast and thats probably the best way to enjoy it but boy did I not want to read along with Clines second book and it turned out the podcast is fine even if you don't participate in the book club aspect at all.

Also I hope they move on to something batshit and fun again once the slog through shadowmoon is over, I would take more Tek War over Chris Claremont's expanded willow universe at this point.

did wil at least mock it or something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think they were saying they listened to the audio book to get context for the podcast, which I’m guessing is the Mike Nelson one. Which was pretty good.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Clerical Terrors posted:

I don't disagree with the video's supposed thesis that Rick is a bad person and not to be admired but it's not delivered very well and it's honestly kind of a shame that he doesn't go in deeper. There's probably some comparisons to be made to series like Archer, Aqua Teen Hunger Force etc. on the subject of bad people who nonetheless make us laugh.

He does briefly make a comparison with Bojack Horseman, which I don't disagree with.

Groovelord Neato posted:

And the only way to make a good one is to do a satire of the book.

I'd love to have seen someone give this the Starship Troopers treatment.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The way you people describe RPO/Cline reminds me of the patriot fiction (I'd say bad but that's inherent to the genre) TFR used to do let's reads of. In those, basic gun trivia or shooting knowledge were always presented as some secret special forces operator knowledge and I never figured out if it was intentional ego stroking of the audience or just the author jacking himself off.

Tbf it also reminds me of mgs, especially 3 where any time you saved, you had to listen to Kojima's proxy talk about his favourite old movies.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Nuebot posted:

The real reason is because Cline doesn't know what any of those anime robots are and he can't be assed to even do a google search to know if what the things he's talking about in his book are correct or not in regards to the brief window where he does talk about them.

Maybe he does know a lot and just chose that exact moment to exercise something resembling restraint :imunfunny:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

See also 'people dressed like the 80's.' Which is.. what? Feathered hair? Late-stage death of disco? Parachute pants? Air Jordans?

Yeah, there's no one mono-style to the '80s. Depending on what place in the decade and what class was involved, they all tend to be different. Your '80s Sex Pistols-inspired punk is going to be different from an Adam Ant New Romantic, the proto-Ska Rude Boys, the working class Skinhead, the radical Devo-esque New Waver, and we're not getting into Metalheads, Preppies, and early Adidas-clad Hip Hop.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

did wil at least mock it or something?

Ready Player One was written specifically for people like Wil Wheaton, and he has a cameo in the book as the President of the Internet or something, which was Cline specifically sucking up to him in the expressed hope that he would narrate the audio book. Don't hold out hope for that one, my friend.

As for Armada, I also tried to do that read along for 372 Pages back when they were going through the book live and I made it to the end of their recommended first stopping point and was loving done with it. 50 pages, and nothing worth recounting happened, yet there was one five-page double spaced bullet point list of pop culture events from the 1980s to 2003 for basically no reason.

The people who said Armada was a salvaged barely first draft trunk novel that was rushed out the door to capitalize on RP1's success were right. Even bad authors usually don't backslide in basic level skills like Cline seems to from Ready Player One to Armada so it had to have been written before RP1 and shelved because it drowned in rejection letters for literally being Last Starfighter original character fanfiction.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trojan Kaiju posted:

He was also a boss in the N64 Shadow of the Empire so you could also just be a kid in the 90s/early 00s.

it me

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IG-88 left a big impression on a lot of kids in the 90s as an N64 boss because it was the first real terrifying boss of Shadows of the Empire. The AT-ST in Echo Base was intimidating, but IG-88 was flat out scary.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the way ig-88 just bolted around the boss arena destroying your rear end while it made those weird sounds was indeed quite terrifying

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I remember him just burning through all my health before I could even register where he was attacking me from lol. Made him scary as hell to younger me

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 15, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

While there's obviously plenty of ways to go badly off-track with it, linking RPO to GamerGate seems like a pretty obvious play? It's a perfect time-capsule of the old, privilege-oblivious white male nerd mindset that eventually metastasised into GG when other people started examining its underexamined assumptions and its adherents started lashing out because 'they weren't allowed to enjoy things any more'. RPO is a loving self-portrait of the time-bomb, and GG is the explosion.

cline's a gen xer so his life is the impossible ideal that gamergate guys feel like they were promised as children and then had stolen from them by the sjws

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the way ig-88 just bolted around the boss arena destroying your rear end while it made those weird sounds was indeed quite terrifying

Don't forget the scrapyard train level just to GET to IG-88 too.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Farm Frenzy posted:

cline's a gen xer so his life is the impossible ideal that gamergate guys feel like they were promised as children and then had stolen from them by the sjws

I didn't think you could get sad enough to be envious of gen-x.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

The people who said Armada was a salvaged barely first draft trunk novel that was rushed out the door to capitalize on RP1's success were right. Even bad authors usually don't backslide in basic level skills like Cline seems to from Ready Player One to Armada so it had to have been written before RP1 and shelved because it drowned in rejection letters for literally being Last Starfighter original character fanfiction.

Mike and Conor talk on it a lot covering it, and certainly anybody who... well, reads can see it, but it is amazing how many things are in that book that any first year Creative Writing teacher would flunk your draft for. And that's just in RPO.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best thing about Ernest Cline is his follow up to Ready Player One was just "The Last Starfighter but with a lot of 80s references".

I was in a bookshop and skimmed around a bit, reading a couple pages. One moment really stood out to me;

so the main character's dad left him when he was a child. He loved his dad, and he just up and vanished one day - no explanation or anything. He spends the rest of his life wondering what happened to him and why he left. The kid eventually gets teleported onto an alien ship and becomes a starfighter. He rises up the ranks and is introduced to a senior hotshot starfighter, only to discover it's his dad, and the exact same thing must have happened to him. The main character's father, who he has been wondering about his entire life, is now before him - the mystery revealed, and a darkness about the organisation along with it. They kidnap people and destroy lives, and surely he must have his own loved ones worrying about him. Did his father miss him? Wonder about him? Try to return home? What must it have been like, all these years?

But instead of any of that, the main character thinks, immediately, before anything else;

"Man, this is just like Star Wars".

gently caress Ernest Cline. He is the least talented person to ever write a best-seller.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

nine-gear crow posted:

IG-88 left a big impression on a lot of kids in the 90s as an N64 boss because it was the first real terrifying boss of Shadows of the Empire. The AT-ST in Echo Base was intimidating, but IG-88 was flat out scary.

You could completely own the AT-ST by staying behind it too, which I think may have been mentioned in the manual, and no such strategy existed for IG-88.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dawgstar posted:

Mike and Conor talk on it a lot covering it, and certainly anybody who... well, reads can see it, but it is amazing how many things are in that book that any first year Creative Writing teacher would flunk your draft for. And that's just in RPO.
The best bit is when Wade is cornered by the cops(?) In the blade runner building and then the book literally just tells you to imagine a 'cool fight scene like in a John Woo movie' instead of describing the action.