Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brok Harris (Dragons prop) did well only getting two weeks for this

https://twitter.com/c_kirwan/status/1214869050263851010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was wondering if some of them are going to go full mercenary and demand the total income as previously agreed or they'll walk.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

so that's all it takes for ospreys to be good, a two man advantage.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

HappyCamperGL posted:

so that's all it takes for ospreys to be good, a two man advantage.

And a hailstorm.
And an off-pitch debacle that means we get to play against their C-team.
And we're still losing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

And a hailstorm.
And an off-pitch debacle that means we get to play against their C-team.
And we're still losing.

The lack of confidence in this Ospreys team is amazing.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

bessantj posted:

The lack of confidence in this Ospreys team is amazing.

I don't know what you're talking about. We at The Ospreys believe in our team's ability to win this game!

-

I expect Alun Wyn Jones to do a "CM Punk", and sign his Saracens contract on live TV, during the post-match interview.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 11, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

I expect Alun Wyn Jones to do a "CM Punk", and sign his Saracens contract on live TV, during the post-match interview.

I don't think they could afford him.

After watching the Castres/Dragons game I think the standards of reffing are getting worse. The Dragons may as well have not turned up,pinged completely off the park.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Glasgow - Exeter game was excellent despite Poite being all over the place like a mad man's poo poo.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

Glasgow - Exeter game was excellent despite Poite being all over the place like a mad man's poo poo.

it was but glasgow just seem to make too many stupid decisions these days. both this and the la rochelle games should have been won. gibbins in particular was very lucky not to see red today.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vaders Jester posted:

Has he managed to work out what an offside is?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Has he managed to work out what an offside is?

:lol: No. The scrum was also the wild west but that's nothing new either.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

it was but glasgow just seem to make too many stupid decisions these days. both this and the la rochelle games should have been won. gibbins in particular was very lucky not to see red today.

There were a few dumb decisions and Gibbins should have seen red but the offside line and the scrums were absolutely butchered on top of bizarrely penalising Glasgow for time wasting at their own lineout when they had no hooker on the pitch and were discussing who was taking the throw in.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

:lol: No. The scrum was also the wild west but that's nothing new either.

The overall standard of refereeing right now is shocking, but the French ones are a special level of poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apparently James Hook is going to retire at the end of the season to focus on his writing career - something that I had no idea was even a thing until just now.

He's an excellent player, but I think there'll always be an element of what could have been, as he spent his career being moved around the backline and never having a chance to settle and develop in a specific position.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Apparently James Hook is going to retire at the end of the season to focus on his writing career - something that I had no idea was even a thing until just now.

He's an excellent player, but I think there'll always be an element of what could have been, as he spent his career being moved around the backline and never having a chance to settle and develop in a specific position.

He's been coaching youth games for a while, and I've seen him travel with his team to matches that have taken place at the same time as Ospreys matches, so that's definitely the direction that he's been planning to head in for a long time.

He got his first book deal a few months ago. It's a childrens' book about overcoming (some kind of) adversity, in order to play rugby. That's kind of close to my heart, so I hope it does well :D

-

In other news, Sergio Parisse is going to retire... uh... "now", because didn't somehow didn't make it into Italy's 6-nations squad.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Italy do need to start working out their future.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

He's been coaching youth games for a while, and I've seen him travel with his team to matches that have taken place at the same time as Ospreys matches, so that's definitely the direction that he's been planning to head in for a long time.

He got his first book deal a few months ago. It's a childrens' book about overcoming (some kind of) adversity, in order to play rugby. That's kind of close to my heart, so I hope it does well :D

-

In other news, Sergio Parisse is going to retire... uh... "now", because didn't somehow didn't make it into Italy's 6-nations squad.

He's also talking about how Franco Smith, the current Italy coach, will call him up, and that he'll be playing in at least one of the two home fixtures Italy has after the opening round. It, I dunno, comes off as pretty loving arrogant and entitled.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 14, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe his ego just got too big to work with.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

In other news, the tyre fire that is the SRU can now be seen from space.

https://twitter.com/AlasdairReid3/status/1217049114111893506

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

In other news, the tyre fire that is the SRU can now be seen from space.

https://twitter.com/AlasdairReid3/status/1217049114111893506

Wasn't he the one that got the SRU a £70k fine for comments during the world cup?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bessantj posted:

Wasn't he the one that got the SRU a £70k fine for comments during the world cup?

Yep, the very same fuckwitting pillock.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Was Hook dropped from the welsh team for some specific reason? I remember wondering why I hardly ever saw his name mentioned in an international context a while back.

Edit: realised I might be thinking of Henson

lenoon fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 15, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Toonie decided to abandon predictable selections and got back to picking names out a hat. Beneficiaries include Cornell du Preez and Ratu Tagive.

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status/1217389747674472448?s=20

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

lenoon posted:

Was Hook dropped from the welsh team for some specific reason? I remember wondering why I hardly ever saw his name mentioned in an international context a while back.

Edit: realised I might be thinking of Henson

He was a bit weird as he was a talented player, but never seemed to fit in. Not really reliable enough to play 10 for a Gatland game plan (I seem to remember him constantly giving away interceptions). Not big enough to play 12 for a Gatland game plan (Roberts and Henson were favoured there). Not really fast enough to play 15. I think he had the dual bad luck of playing under Gatland, and essentially being relegated to a utility player, as there were better starters in every position he played.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 15, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

Toonie decided to abandon predictable selections and got back to picking names out a hat. Beneficiaries include Cornell du Preez and Ratu Tagive.

Wat, Ratu Tagive has played 9 games for Glasgow, he might have only played 9 games in Scotland at all. Kyle Steyn has turned out a few times for the 7's team but wasn't great there so surely 15's is the game for him. I'm not sure how these guys are even qualifying to play for Scotland, Nick Haining has 0 games in Scotland, having played for Bristol before. Thomas Gordon, another New Zealander has at least played amateur rugby here.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Wat, Ratu Tagive has played 9 games for Glasgow, he might have only played 9 games in Scotland at all. Kyle Steyn has turned out a few times for the 7's team but wasn't great there so surely 15's is the game for him. I'm not sure how these guys are even qualifying to play for Scotland, Nick Haining has 0 games in Scotland, having played for Bristol before. Thomas Gordon, another New Zealander has at least played amateur rugby here.

Haining's gran is from Dundee and has played well for Edinburgh this year in the absence of Mata, Gordon I think through his grandparents though I thought Flockhart was better for Glasgow. Ratu I've no idea about though Steyn plays well for Glasgow at centre and wing this year.

Du Preez has been a hell of a player for Worcester this year since his really nasty throat injury so will be good to see him back if he can keep the form he had before he destroyed his leg at Edinburgh.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 15, 2020

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

Yup, suggestions are that it's actually accumulated bonuses over 4 years all being paid in the same calendar year but have to be registered as income though those bonuses have to be from the standpoint of the reduction of debt, the BT deal, and attendance numbers because it sure as hell isn't performance related.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 15, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Tagive is residency. He moved to Glasgow before the IRB upped the number if years required. But unfortunately has had a couple of bad injuries that have stopped him from playing for most of that time.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tagive seems like a good player when I've seen him play for Glasgow and his story is one hell of a rough ride to get to where he is now. Not sure he'll make the final squad and at 28 he's getting on a bit but wing is looking a wee bit grim as far as depth is concerned after the first team and now that Seymour has retired.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

At least the lesser spotted van der Merwe will be Scotland qualified this summer. Which will improve things.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aye, though in true Scottish international backs tradition, he will immediately suffer a terrible career ending injury.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apparently Saracens have failed to get under the cap for this season as well, despite the rumours of a fire sale for their squad, and may face automatic relegation as a punishment.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Furthermore, any money paid as compensation to players for cutting short contracts would also be included in the wage bill.

Relying on those players really loving the club that's getting rid of them.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
The rules seem pretty comprehensive. I've no idea a) how they thought they'd get away with it and b) how they got away with it for so long

Premiership rugby bigwigs posted:

HOW DOES IT WORK?

It is all about the transfer of value from the Club to a Player during each salary cap year (1 July – 30 June). It is the combined “salaries” of all Players at the Club. There is no restriction upon an individual’s Salary but on the whole squad spend.

When looking at a Player for Salary Cap purposes we include a broad web of connections such as family members (e.g. spouse child, parents), the Player’s Agent, any company, trust or organisation, and so on.

When looking at a Club for Salary Cap purposes we include a broad web of connections such as any Director, officer or employee (excluding Players) of that Club; any family member/spouse/partner of any Director, officer or employee (excluding Players) of that Club; a shareholder; a sponsor; any company, trust, partnership, or other body, organisation, and so on.

WHAT GOES IN?

Amounts which are paid or payable (or in the case of a benefit in kind, provided or to be provided) directly or indirectly, onshore or offshore, by or on behalf of a Club or any Connected Party or Third Party of the Club, to or in respect of a Player or any Connected Party of the Player…..

Amounts that are Included

• Salary, wage, fee, remuneration etc.
  • Bonus (match, win, year-end etc.)
  • National insurance
  • Loan (not paid back in full before end of SCY loan was made).
  • Child support / maintenance /school fees
  • Accommodation or holiday cost
  • Pension (incl. annuities)
  • Image Rights payments
  • Payment in connection with promotional, media or endorsement work
  • Payment for off-field activities for or on behalf of club
  • Signing on fee, transfer payment, relocation allowance or payment linked to transfer
  • Accommodation, holidays, cars, match tickets (other than 4 per match), clothing (other than training kit, official club blazers and other club wear), travel, membership fees, food and drink (other than at matches and training)
  • Payment in kind a player would not have received were not for his involvement with a Club
  • Redundancy/Compromise etc.
  • Agent Fees plus VAT & NI
  • Any 3rd Party & Connected Party (e.g. sponsor) payment unless demonstrated separate

Amounts that are Excluded
  • International match fees, bonuses, etc.
  • Legitimate and reasonable expenses
  • Player’s personal private medical insurance including Rugby Care scheme
  • Benefit Year (testimonial)
  • Education fees (e.g. university tuition fees, joinery course fees etc.) for the player
  • A season long Loan Player x 3 players
  • A player who is Injured for the entire season

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I really think they should just be stripping them of titles, hilarious as relegation would be

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

tarbrush posted:

I really think they should just be stripping them of titles, hilarious as relegation would be

Why not both :)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wind up the club.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The best thing is that a couple of years ago there were a few clubs that were supposedly in breach of the cap and they all got together and sorted it out among themselves, effectively sweeping it under the carpet on the proviso no one else played silly buggers. Sarries still decided to say "gently caress it, lets pay our players under the table and maintain an absolutely bonkers squad out of the reach of even the richest French clubs, no one will notice or mind, surely?"

And the rest of the clubs are now more than happy to hurl them under the bus.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

The best thing is that a couple of years ago there were a few clubs that were supposedly in breach of the cap and they all got together and sorted it out among themselves, effectively sweeping it under the carpet on the proviso no one else played silly buggers. Sarries still decided to say "gently caress it, lets pay our players under the table and maintain an absolutely bonkers squad out of the reach of even the richest French clubs, no one will notice or mind, surely?"

And the rest of the clubs are now more than happy to hurl them under the bus.

This is the funny bit, the whole of English rugby is basically an uneasy gentleman's agreement between a bunch of cutthroat bastards.

The idea that Bruce whatsisname and the other owners wouldn't turn the screw is ridiculous. About the only thing that can save them is the poorer clubs worrying that relegating Sarries would impact gate receipts and maybe the TV deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Watching Tony Rowe, the Chiefs owner going to town on Sarries in the media is a thing of beauty.

In further developments, apparently:

- Club has to cut its wage bill by £2m by the end of January to comply with salary cap deadline.
- Daily Mail is reporting Saracens told players this morning they WILL be automatically relegated at the end of the season and will be docked 35 points AGAIN, which would take their current points tally in the Premiership to -42.
- Fellow Premiership clubs aren't interested in buying out Saracens players' contracts to sign them. :lol:
- Should England internationals players move overseas to Top 14, Japan's Top League or Super Rugby, they would be unavailable for selection under current criteria.
- Should Saracens win the Champions Cup in May they would not be able to defend their title next season IF they were relegated to the Championship