Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tempura Wizard posted:

Real talk, how many of us here would actually be interested in Stadia if it had an honest to god Netflix-style licensing / payment plan? (Like everyone assumed it would have when it was announced :laffo:).
I know I'd bite. It'd be like the second coming of Gametap, which was a severely underrated service. Instead we have paying to paying to play PC games that known Stable Product Maintainer Google technically can pull at any time.

I for one am I glad hostile is enjoying themselves and looking forward to games. I've backed a few doomed formats in my time. Shine on you crazy diamond. :)

This is also PSNow, which is netflix style pricing with a huge library of games that rotate in and out. Plus you can even download the PS4 and PS2 games to your device and save money on bandwidth. And you can play PSnow on the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Tempura Wizard posted:

Real talk, how many of us here would actually be interested in Stadia if it had an honest to god Netflix-style licensing / payment plan?

I'd lie if I say me because PSNow is already out in Europe and I am not too keen at throwing money at it. Same thing for Hatch, didn't play it a lot during the beta period save for killing myself with mini metro. And someone quoted Origin as well.

I understand if there are people who just want to play games, the Gamestop model worked fine for years and killed off indipendent videogame shops all around the world anyway. But for me videogames are a bigger time investment than watching video. I like to play few games and play them a lot. I had my "oh look at how many games are there! You must play all of them" when I swapped floppies during the Amiga era and now I cannot be arsed enough to play most videogames even if they are free and someone slaps me with them. But now Gamestop is faltering and what does Stadia offer that Xbox Game Pass cannot?

Tempura Wizard posted:

I for one am I glad hostile is enjoying themselves and looking forward to games. I've backed a few doomed formats in my time. Shine on you crazy diamond. :)

CDTV/CD32 represent. :toot:

Flayer posted:

Comparisons with Netflix are difficult because the tv industry is older and more established and was easily able to increase supply to meet the demands of streaming services. In the gaming world there simply isn't the capacity to do the same for AAA or AA level games so the service would have to run off indie games, which would always leave Stadia feeling second rate. Basically there needs to be a whole paradigm shift to get the Netflix model working for games and that's what Google should have been working on doing but instead they seem to have solely focused on the tech (which infrastructure doesn't necessarily support yet) so the product is basically a really cool tech demo that isn't valuable to anybody in a real world sense.

:hmmyes: Stadia could work if there were many micro mmos where you could just jump in and jump out between events or seasons, but they have only one (Destiny 2) which has one better platform if you want graphics (PC) and two better platforms if you want low latency hack free pvp (PS4 and XB1).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tempura Wizard posted:

Real talk, how many of us here would actually be interested in Stadia if it had an honest to god Netflix-style licensing / payment plan? (Like everyone assumed it would have when it was announced :laffo:).
I know I'd bite. It'd be like the second coming of Gametap, which was a severely underrated service. Instead we have paying to paying to play PC games that known Stable Product Maintainer Google technically can pull at any time.

I would have at least tried it. That's what I thought it was going to be initially, and in the beta, AC:O ran pretty decently on my browser and if buying a game meant you could transfer your saves and get an actual download code like they did at the end of the beta, it might actually be appealing. But paying a monthly fee AND you have to buy games at full price AND you have no ownership over anything you pay for AND you have to always be online? lol, no.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Tempura Wizard posted:

Real talk, how many of us here would actually be interested in Stadia if it had an honest to god Netflix-style licensing / payment plan?

I probably wouldn't. I almost never install teh "free" games I get now. Lag and internet hiccups are always going to be an issue. This is Google, which will lose interest in 2 years, so why bother.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tempura Wizard posted:

I might be willing to live with the fact it's streaming if the library were good enough. I almost pulled the trigger on PSNow for years until XBox PC Game Pass came along.

I can see why Sony changed PSNow to install games when possible. Streaming is always a less enjoyable and more costly experience than playing on local hardware and personally, I'm very rarely in a situation where it's preferable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flayer posted:

The real reason Stadia fell over sideways is the pricing model. Having an extremely limited library where you have to pay full release day price for games years old would kill any platform.

Comparisons with Netflix are difficult because the tv industry is older and more established and was easily able to increase supply to meet the demands of streaming services. In the gaming world there simply isn't the capacity to do the same for AAA or AA level games so the service would have to run off indie games, which would always leave Stadia feeling second rate. Basically there needs to be a whole paradigm shift to get the Netflix model working for games and that's what Google should have been working on doing but instead they seem to have solely focused on the tech (which infrastructure doesn't necessarily support yet) so the product is basically a really cool tech demo that isn't valuable to anybody in a real world sense.

Still depends on people being able to actually play games on it at an acceptable latency, which is an unfixable non-starter. The paradigm shift to get literally any streaming model for games to work successfully is to burn every ISP to the ground, shoot the executive board of each burned-down ISP to make sure they can't interfere in future tech developments, and then wave a magic wand to bring proper fibre infrastructure to every home and building in the world. That is what it would take for streamed gaming to succeed.

Please do not bring violence to your ISP's, even if nobody would really blame you for some of the US ones.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I wonder how many Stadia users don't consume Soylent on a regular basis.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I might be willing to live with the fact it's streaming if the library were good enough. I almost pulled the trigger on PSNow for years until XBox PC Game Pass came along.

I can see why Sony changed PSNow to install games when possible. Streaming is always a less enjoyable and more costly experience than playing on local hardware and personally, I'm very rarely in a situation where it's preferable.

Well, if PS5 brings local PS3 emulation then Stadia really becomes moot if you are a fan of old games. :smug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I feel like if there was demand for this sort of travel scenario, devices like the PSTV would have been a lot more successful than they actually were. Ditto for Android versions of games.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Truga posted:

EA has been doing this for a while on their origin launcher. you subscribe, you can play anything on there until you unsubscribe

The compelling difference here being you don't have to wait for it to download, you can just click a button and be into any game in the catalogue in a few seconds. No worrying about storage space to handle the download. I think that ease of use would be a huge factor in favor of Stadia. If I had to wait to play a game I'm not sure about and I'm worried about finding space on my overloaded HD, I would be less likely to ever try it.

And you're able to that on any device on anywhere*... Not just your PC.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 15, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hostile apostle posted:

The compelling difference here being you don't have to wait for it to download, you can just click a button and be into any game in the catalogue in a few seconds. No worrying about storage space to handle the download. I think that ease of use would be a huge factor in favor of Stadia. If I had to wait to play a game I'm not sure about and I'm worried about finding space on my overloaded HD, I would be less likely to ever try it.

And you're able to that on any device on anywhere*... Not just your PC.

Yes, because the thing that keeps me from dropping $60 bucks on a game I'm not sure about is the download time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
But the download time is a one-time thing and from then on you don’t need a strong, or ANY, internet connection to play it.

Like it’s neat to not need to wait for the first play but it just doesn’t make up for the future headaches.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

the sony one is basically that and has 800 games on it and has been running fine for 5 years and the grand total of all of that is 1 million subs because streaming just isnt something people actually want it t urns out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the game passes all suck, EA thing sucks, xbox game pass sucks, the only good one is humble monthly cos its just the games. you just get the actual game codes. imagine.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gutcruncher posted:

But the download time is a one-time thing and from then on you don’t need a strong, or ANY, internet connection to play it.

Like it’s neat to not need to wait for the first play but it just doesn’t make up for the future headaches.

Also, downloading is a background process. I can go load up a game before I go to bed, and by the time I awake in terror, drenched in sweat from the endless nightmares that plague me when I close my eyes, my game is done downloading!

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yes, because the thing that keeps me from dropping $60 bucks on a game I'm not sure about is the download time.

I'm not talking about ala carte, I was replying to the EA content subscription or any form of Netflix-style "all you can eat" model

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just got Stadia via mail today after hearing opinions on it for weeks. One advantage of it that people forget is that the system is perfect for slow people like me, since the higher latency and lower fps give me more time to react, and have advantage in both single player and multiplayer games

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tempura Wizard posted:

If it was streaming only I'd probably maybe subscribe for a month here and there. Just a paid demo to try out whatever is on the library before purchasing the game on another platform. A lot of people do that with video streaming services where they subscribe to one at a time, watch as much as they can for a month or two and move on.

Xbox game pass is basically the Netflix styled licensing/payment plan and I can tell you in the 1.5 years I've used it so far, I've probably played 50 games or so and I have ditched a few in the first few hours (sorry crackdown 3 you're just not that good) and played the heck out of some (it was nice playing forza horizon 4 on release date) and ultimately I'm satisfied with the service and will keep it up (good thing it sounds like we don't need to buy the Xbox series x for another year after it launches).

Oh and the big thing about Xbox game pass is everything downloads locally and can even be played online (I think your system just has to check in online once a week or something like that, that can be done via a quick 30 second mobile hot spot if needed)

And about having to download the games... I have been buying and playing digital only games for over 5 years now. I have never had to wait for a game to download. The reason is this. I can pre-order the game in advance and it downloads before the release date, or I buy the game via an app/web store while at work and it's downloaded by the time I get home.

The biggest problem comes from people with physical disc's that will have to install via the disc and updates as soon as they insert it in their console, and you know why they buy physical? Because they want to resell them or have more confidence they can keep those games for decades. Stadia doesn't offer them any solution for either situation.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Tempura Wizard posted:

A subscription service isn't just a more compelling offering from a consumer standpoint, it's the only business model that makes sense long-term. A one-time product sales model does not make sense for an ongoing, indefinite service with significant ongoing operating costs. If your expensive server rack isn't generating recurring revenue, then it's a question of when you start losing money, not if.

The "free" tier just ain't going to work long-term. The only question is what happens first: the "free" tier goes away, or Google just gives up on Stadia altogether.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

I'm not talking about ala carte, I was replying to the EA content subscription or any form of Netflix-style "all you can eat" model

But Stadia isn't a la carte.

And even so, it's not like I have to put in a lot of work to download the game. I kick it off, and come back to it when I get a chance.

And it's not to say downloading can't be improved. Why do I need to download 100 gb of data just to play the first level?

But streaming isn't the answer to that problem.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

limaCAT posted:

Well, if PS5 brings local PS3 emulation then Stadia really becomes moot if you are a fan of old games. :smug:

Yeah, if they continue that trend on PSNow of giving the download option on the PS5, my plan for the future is to have a PS5 and a gaming PC with XBox PC Game Pass. Between those two subscriptions I'll have an insane backlog of games to play with no streaming required.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cemetry Gator posted:

And it's not to say downloading can't be improved. Why do I need to download 100 gb of data just to play the first level?

Because the entire game is a single compressed file that has to be unpacked (and why its generally twice the size of the actual game; it's gotta unpack itself). Some games break it up into two packages, with enough to get through the first level/several hours of content and the second bundling up a shitload of assets to dump into allocated storage to finish the job.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Doom Eternal pre-order bonuses won't be available on Stadia.

quote:

Pre-Order DOOM Eternal to get a free digital download of DOOM 64, a cult classic available for the first time ever on modern platforms.
Pre-orders of DOOM Eternal also include the Rip and Tear Pack, which comes with - DOOT Revenant Skin - Cultist Base Master Level - Throwback Shotgun Weapon Skin

The Deluxe stuff is still gonna be there (season pass and such).

More fun stuff:

quote:

Little Disappointed in Stadia's attempts to keep a founder as a Pro Client

Signed up for Founders edition pumped. Part of the reason was for the great value which included the three months of Pro membership.

Had a small issue where a gift card wouldn't load. Took over a month for support to tell me to "delete my US profile" in order for the gift card to load properly in the Canadian profile. Took about 2 more weeks for them to confirm that I would lose nothing.

Deleted my US profile.

Doing so cancelled my Stadia Pro membership from the founders edition. (everything else worked)

Got connected to support and they said, "They should not have told you to delete your US profile." "We can't re extend your Pro membership. You can sign up and we will credit you for one month." Except I should have had two months left when this happened. They could not credit me two months.

Support told me there was nothing they could do. That they would let their supervisors know about the situation but that they would likely not contact me. They recommended posting here/twitter about it.

"Hey, do this, that'll fix the gift card problem."

"Hmmm, that other person shouldn't have told you to do that, sorry... well, not much we can do now, looks like you're hosed, bye! Make sure to post on social media about your experiences! STADIA!"

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

ErrEff posted:

How do you know this? RDR2 on Stadia still offers the pre-order bonuses it had on other platforms. I doubt the Doom 64 will be offered by certainly cosmetic items are trivial to offer.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

I mean, most early PS4 games had this pretty much figured out, you could launch most games very quickly (within 30 seconds of inserting a disc) and you could start the single player straight away if you weren't loading from a later save file.

But I think newer games are both too "open" and too asset-heavy for this to be very viable so quick installs are largely a thing of the past.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ErrEff posted:

The Deluxe stuff is still gonna be there (season pass and such).

More fun stuff:

"Hey, do this, that'll fix the gift card problem."

"Hmmm, that other person shouldn't have told you to do that, sorry... well, not much we can do now, looks like you're hosed, bye! Make sure to post on social media about your experiences! STADIA!"

I mean, posting on social media is probably the best way to get someone with any authority to respond, it's not bad advice. Giving your support staff less leeway than target cashiers doesn't sound smart, but it's about all I expect out of anyone.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

How do you know this? RDR2 on Stadia still offers the pre-order bonuses it had on other platforms. I doubt the Doom 64 will be offered by certainly cosmetic items are trivial to offer.

Because the official Stadia YT account posted a trailer that doesn't include any of these offerings other than the Deluxe edition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfbCj1YajDw

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I noticed the official Stadia account was being cagey about confirming if Doom Eternal is 4K and 60FPS, so I decided to ask directly:

https://twitter.com/rotredrod/status/1217246712667889666

I got the same canned response that doesn't really answer the question:

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1217248070137630720

So... Probably not.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I noticed the official Stadia account was being cagey about confirming if Doom Eternal is 4K and 60FPS, so I decided to ask directly:

https://twitter.com/rotredrod/status/1217246712667889666

I got the same canned response that doesn't really answer the question:

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1217248070137630720

So... Probably not.

Even better is that they say Stadia will be able to stream at 4k 60fps, not that it can currently.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

the rat fandom posted:

Even better is that they say Stadia will be able to stream at 4k 60fps, not that it can currently.

Well, it definitely can with some games, but that's a pretty funny note - they apparently haven't updated that line of marketing speak since before the release.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The phrase "up to" is key here.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Are we allowed to post here if we have a Stadia and like it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Blotto_Otter posted:

A subscription service isn't just a more compelling offering from a consumer standpoint, it's the only business model that makes sense long-term. A one-time product sales model does not make sense for an ongoing, indefinite service with significant ongoing operating costs. If your expensive server rack isn't generating recurring revenue, then it's a question of when you start losing money, not if.

The "free" tier just ain't going to work long-term. The only question is what happens first: the "free" tier goes away, or Google just gives up on Stadia altogether.

imagine thinking this, in tyool 2020.

i saw estimates that world of loving warcraft, that absolutely ancient game made with early 2000s tech, cost $6 per year per customer to keep online, and that was ages ago when bandwidth and storage were still relatively expensive, and labour cost was still at pre-2008-crash level.

the only way to charge rent on the internet is "popular enough to get away with it"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Are we allowed to post here if we have a Stadia and like it?

Just give us your pool of reddit usernames and we'll copy over the best bits here for you.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

An interview with Tequila Works' CEO about their decision to make Gylt a Stadia exclusive (Google reached out to them and offered a bunch of cash) and how Stadia's upcoming features "are going to blow people's minds".

quote:

"This is my personal opinion, but this is like the early days of Steam in a sense that this is when people were complaining that it took too long to download, and then the download would stop and people were [complaining] the price was exactly the same as a boxed game," says Rubio.

"It's going to get better. In fact, one day when we look back, people will wonder why people were questioning streaming at all. I'm not talking about Stadia specifically. I'm talking about streaming in general."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, if they continue that trend on PSNow of giving the download option on the PS5, my plan for the future is to have a PS5 and a gaming PC with XBox PC Game Pass. Between those two subscriptions I'll have an insane backlog of games to play with no streaming required.

If the PS5 is good enough for local PS3 emulation, then they should just release (licensing permitting) every single PS1, 2, and 3 game in the PS store.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blotto_Otter posted:

A subscription service isn't just a more compelling offering from a consumer standpoint, it's the only business model that makes sense long-term.

It makes a lot of sense for the business that's collecting rent but it doesn't make sense for the consumer. And the more such subscriptions there are in the world, the less sense each additional one makes.

Also, what should be blindingly obvious by now is that people care about content. The convenience selling point is not a major factor in the modern world because a lot of things are pretty drat convenient already. Streaming is more convenient than downloading a game if all else was equal, but even then downloading a game overnight isn't that much of a burden. And the supposed high-end graphics advantage was a giant wet fart. It will probably stay a wet fart in the future because buying a shitton of expensive hardware for $10/month users takes a long time pay off.

But content is what matters most for any subscription service. Netflix, amazon, disney, and all the other big players in TV streaming have realized this. Google didn't.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tempura Wizard posted:

Not really, because none of the games I like would ever appear on such a service despite being perfect for streaming. But also because I can always VPN home, wake my PC, and stream almost my entire library. Steam even deals with launching obscure indie titles via proton and streaming them to my low-powered laptop.

Like, do you think Thea 2 or AI War would appear on a streaming platform?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

ErrEff posted:

An interview with Tequila Works' CEO about their decision to make Gylt a Stadia exclusive (Google reached out to them and offered a bunch of cash) and how Stadia's upcoming features "are going to blow people's minds".

even if it was a huge flop for google, they still got a bag of cash, and more importantly, you don't poo poo on your business partners to an industry rag regardless sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Truga posted:

imagine thinking this, in tyool 2020.

i saw estimates that world of loving warcraft, that absolutely ancient game made with early 2000s tech, cost $6 per year per customer to keep online, and that was ages ago when bandwidth and storage were still relatively expensive, and labour cost was still at pre-2008-crash level.

the only way to charge rent on the internet is "popular enough to get away with it"

The cost of running instances that have to render modern AAA games is gonna be orders of magnitude more per user than the cost of running an MMO backend and letting the customer's computer handle all of the rendering work.

If Google takes a 20% cut of the revenue on the sales of a $60 game, that's only $12. If their average costs were only $6 a year to serve that game up to a user, they're going to lose money if a user plays that game for more than two years. Those are optimistic figures - some games go for less than $60 so Google gets less revenue from a sale, but the cost of server time remains the same as for a more expensive game. And rendering a game is a hell of a lot more expensive computationally than running the backend for a game rendered on a client machine, so it's going to cost a lot more than it would to run servers for an MMO. Perversely, from Google's perspective the numbers get even worse longer or more replayable a game is, since every extra hour playing a game increases their costs and eats into their profit margins. The more hours people sink into game X on the "free" tier, the more some MBA-degree-holding dipshit at Google is going to want to cut them off or find a way to force them to the paid tier.

I am not particularly fond of the industry trending more and more towards subscriptions rather than purchases, but no other business model makes sense for a game streaming service. Anyone buying games on Stadia under the "free" tier should expect those to have a hidden expiration date.

EDIT: And when I say that a subscription service would be more compelling offering from a consumer standpoint, I mean relative to Stadia's current offering (which isn't compelling at all), not relative to every other way of purchasing and playing games.

Klyith posted:

It makes a lot of sense for the business that's collecting rent but it doesn't make sense for the consumer. And the more such subscriptions there are in the world, the less sense each additional one makes.

I agree. I'm not sure it's a good idea for the consumer, and I'm not sure that Stadia moving to a subscription service would actually work out for Google. I just know that Stadia's free tier in it's current form can't work long-term.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 15, 2020