Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

“With EMTs standing by” had me roll my eyes so hard. The hell is an EMT going to do for someone who ate something spicy? Tell them to quit crying and that it’s gonna suck when they poop later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Him firing Kliph and replacing him with two lovely gimmicky twin drummers who always wear stupid green wigs is like the perfect encapsulation of the last ten years for the Lips. The last time I saw them live, those idiot drummers couldn’t even keep a loving beat and Steven had to constantly jump in and give them the rhythm. It was awful.

I used to love going out of my way to see them live whenever possible. They came to my little college town once and blew out the power a few times for the city and it was just a cool show I wanted to go again despite never really listening to their music outside of their shows. Then I saw him at SXSW or ACL or some poo poo and I guess he was going through a dark period. Instead of all the usual fun stuff it was a lot of grey and blue metal tubes and aluminium ducts and some weird tube-baby. Fine, whatever I can get it. What turned me off, maybe forever, was that I heard the darkness was due to a divorce resulting from his bad behavior and infidelity. That sucks but is fine on it's own, however, he also needed to involve someone else. He had a gimmick where this singer from another band was to come on stage and perform with him. I wanna say it was Phantogram's singer but it was years ago. He has her come sing this song, but it's a slower and sad one, and he has her get on her knees next to him while she sings. He grabs a fistful of her hair, and while she sings he pulls on it making her wince and her singing get pained. Conceptually I kind of get it, but in execution it was really uncomfortable to watch. Creeped me the gently caress out so now I don't bother with them

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“With EMTs standing by” had me roll my eyes so hard. The hell is an EMT going to do for someone who ate something spicy? Tell them to quit crying and that it’s gonna suck when they poop later?

"Need 10 CCs of milk, stat!" screams the actor in the medical uniform.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If y'all want an Oacars thread in TVIV I am not fully against it, as it airs on TV, but the CD threads are fine. In fact they are one of the only CD threads I read and post in a year!

Easier/better to just have us all discuss it in one place than split it imo but it's up to you nerds!!!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

esperterra posted:

If y'all want an Oacars thread in TVIV I am not fully against it, as it airs on TV, but the CD threads are fine. In fact they are one of the only CD threads I read and post in a year!

Easier/better to just have us all discuss it in one place than split it imo but it's up to you nerds!!!

That would involve us moving out of our current social structure and talking to people we don't know and may not even agree with. You do realize we're all goons, right?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Trump is on TV so move all politics threads to TVIV

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CD has an On Cinema thread. Feel the rage build up inside you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

I used to love going out of my way to see them live whenever possible. They came to my little college town once and blew out the power a few times for the city and it was just a cool show I wanted to go again despite never really listening to their music outside of their shows. Then I saw him at SXSW or ACL or some poo poo and I guess he was going through a dark period. Instead of all the usual fun stuff it was a lot of grey and blue metal tubes and aluminium ducts and some weird tube-baby. Fine, whatever I can get it. What turned me off, maybe forever, was that I heard the darkness was due to a divorce resulting from his bad behavior and infidelity. That sucks but is fine on it's own, however, he also needed to involve someone else. He had a gimmick where this singer from another band was to come on stage and perform with him. I wanna say it was Phantogram's singer but it was years ago. He has her come sing this song, but it's a slower and sad one, and he has her get on her knees next to him while she sings. He grabs a fistful of her hair, and while she sings he pulls on it making her wince and her singing get pained. Conceptually I kind of get it, but in execution it was really uncomfortable to watch. Creeped me the gently caress out so now I don't bother with them

Yeah, that was for The Terror and it was Phantogram’s singer, Sarah Barthel. This must have been around 2012-2013? That album is such a complete 180° from all their other stuff and it just reeks of “I’ve hosed everything up” nihilistic desperation. I saw them on that same tour and it was just exhausting and depressing. Prior shows had been this joyous, almost life-affirming party that reveled in naive happiness. On the Terror tour he even did dour renditions of older songs in the style of the new album and it just loving sucked. And I get it, you’re an artist so of course you’re gonna use your art to try and explore and vent that pain, but it’s just not an enjoyable experience for the audience.

I mean good on the guy if he’s found peace in some way with his new life, but it all just seems like an extended breakdown and nothing he’s put out since has had any real substance to it. Peace Sword was solid but it’s no Embryonic or Soft Bulletin. Oczy Mlody was completely forgettable and felt like a vanity project for him and his other musician friends.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

less laughter posted:

Trump is on TV so move all politics threads to TVIV

Cable News already has its own subforum: CSPAM. :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/nancywyuen/status/1217569709945606144

I'm glad it's official.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Didn't that thing get killed ages ago, like a month after it originally leaked?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You can actually get an anaphylactic like reaction from super spicy food. Presumably the EMT is there in case your throat starts closing up and breathing becomes an issue.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The first time I ever did mushrooms was at a Flaming Lips concert in 2007 at Bonnaroo. Fun time amazing night, but I couldn't imagine going to a show involving Wayne Coyne at this point.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krazyface posted:

Didn't that thing get killed ages ago, like a month after it originally leaked?

It got jammed in the HBO too hard basket.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The first time I ever did mushrooms was at a Flaming Lips concert in 2007 at Bonnaroo. Fun time amazing night, but I couldn't imagine going to a show involving Wayne Coyne at this point.

I was there, too! No shrooms, though. Amazing show.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Croatoan posted:

That would involve us moving out of our current social structure and talking to people we don't know and may not even agree with. You do realize we're all goons, right?

Wait, y'all don't just post in random threads that suddenly catch your interest?

That's what brought me here (also this being the only place where shows I was watching were actually being talked about)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Try talking about TV on reddit, it's a loving disaster.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rocksicles posted:

Try talking about TV on reddit, it's a loving disaster.

Reddit in general is a disaster for discussion because it’s not built for that format. It’s just a series of caption contests.

That’s why I dig SA and you lot so much, even when some of you post indefensible opinions about tv shows. :allears:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I collect silver coins. One time on Reddit I tried to say that silver coins with swastikas on them from the Nazi era are gross and bad and I was ridiculed and attacked so yeah. Reddit sucks in a lot of ways. And I mean I got dunked on hard. "It's just a piece of history stupid! Why are you trying to change history, stupid?". Meanwhile if you took the time to look at the profiles of the people saying that I was stupid they were super hard-core Trump supporters that were really racist but no it's my fault for not appreciating swastikas?

There is a huge Venn diagram crossover between people that collect precious metals and doomsday preppers.

I don't like to talk about collecting silver on Reddit anymore. Please don't dunk on me for not being a Nazi. Also I only have like $100 worth of silver anyway. Those guys are assholes.

Honestly the best description I've seen of Reddit is the GBS thread that is subtitled "there are only two genders but 15 different kinds of pedophiles"

Edit: thank you for coming to my Ted talk: Reddit is gross. But super cool when you wanna look up really cute doggie pictures

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 16, 2020

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reddit is very gross, but it's also the funniest discussion platform on the entire web. Don't subscribed to controversial subs, don't say bad about MGTOW or dog owners. I think those two might be linked in some way, i'm investigating.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Just having those GoT names attached to it should have gotten it axed before they even asked what it was about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aces High posted:

Wait, y'all don't just post in random threads that suddenly catch your interest?

That's what brought me here (also this being the only place where shows I was watching were actually being talked about)

I live that user control panel life

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
We've enjoyed the first couple episodes of The Outsider. Ben Mendelsohn is good as is to be expected and Jason Bateman certainly has come a long way since Silver Spoons and It's Your Move hasn't he? You old fuckers will get those references.

Gotta agree on the already mentioned criticism of the overuse of blue filters. JFC just use natural light once in a while. Also the soundtrack is kinda grating at times.

Speaking of Bateman, how is Ozarks S2? I really liked S1 but mostly because of Ruth and I I've seen maybe 2 episodes of the second season.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 16, 2020

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1217629685934215168

:rip:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I know a lot of people bailed on the CW shows but the Crisis crossover was everything a comic book fan could ever want.

I want good Marvel shows.

This empty pantomime of a psychological thriller won't be missed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I know a lot of people bailed on the CW shows but the Crisis crossover was everything a comic book fan could ever want. It was so good!

Shill!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

for as lovely as Netflix’s practices are, I’m glad they made Medical Police happen

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

This empty pantomime of a psychological thriller won't be missed.

I know it's for a silly reason, but the show lost me in the first episode when they traveled to my tiny midwestern hometown to solve a double murder that has no basis in history whatsoever. I still watched a few more episodes to give it a shot, but that just pulled me right out of the story and it lost its True Crime veneer. It's not like the show was presented as a documentary, but I guess based on the premise (and Zodiac) I was expecting something that at least used real cases and history as inspiration. Using real serial killers, made up protagonists, and made up crimes just made me feel that nothing I was watching had an historical basis. And since the show was purporting to be the birth of serial killer profiling, historical basis (or the illusion of it) matters.

I also didn't love the characters and didn't feel particularly compelled by its story or mystery, but those aren't what lost me.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 16, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamnit

https://mobile.twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1217595909078310913

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

amazon pilot season used to be fun

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's also being shopped around to other services.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
On the plus side, Stephen King loving sucks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Slamhound posted:

On the plus side, Stephen King loving sucks.

The Outsider just dropped and is amazing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

Hot Ones is getting a TV show on truTV; they've ordered 20 episodes.

Uh, okay.

Things like this is going to become a lot more common as the kids who grew up with YouTube as their version of TV age into adulthood.

Rocksicles posted:

Reddit is very gross, but it's also the funniest discussion platform on the entire web. Don't subscribed to controversial subs, don't say bad about MGTOW or dog owners. I think those two might be linked in some way, i'm investigating.

I avoid reddit like the plague, but I"m pretty sure the dog owner thing is universal. I've noticed dog owners tend to have some kind of insecurity and/or thin skin about owning dogs, I call it "doggo brain."

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I find that trying to discuss any TV or movie stuff on Reddit is unpleasant. Everything is a huge dogpile and it doesn't matter if it's critically acclaimed or touted as dogshit you're more than likely to get a weird reactionary flood of bad opinions. It's like the Watchmen thread but every single discussion.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Croatoan posted:

I find that trying to discuss any TV or movie stuff on Reddit is unpleasant. Everything is a huge dogpile and it doesn't matter if it's critically acclaimed or touted as dogshit you're more than likely to get a weird reactionary flood of bad opinions. It's like the Watchmen thread but every single discussion.

You should see the cooking threads when anyone brings up Claire vs Brad on Bon Appétit, which is ridiculous. Everyone loves Brad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
People on Reddit are very dumb and have bad taste. They aren't interested in film or TV as anything other than flashy colors and sounds.

Plus, Claire is the real MVP. Chris Morocco is a close second, but Brad is like... 5th place at best. But it's also just a dumb reality show dressed up in nicer clothing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This sucks, but also not really surprising by now. Especially since I bet the movie really poo poo the bed for The Dark Tower for a lot of people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

You think that's bad you should see the Something Awful Television Discussion forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

You think that's bad you should see the Something Awful Television Discussion forum

For reals.