Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Surprise can go a long way in a disguise. If you're not expecting Gordon Ramsey, Gordon Ramsey cosplaying as Breaking Bad Season 1 Walter White is probably pretty effective. It doesn't work on us because we're expecting it being his show and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

gret posted:

There was a series of the F Word (UK) where one of the segments was Gordon in disguise going to cooking classes offered by celebrity chefs. IIRC most of the time it didn't take long for the chefs to recognize Gordon.

“He’s playing old, and he’s got legs like a gladiator!” One of my favourite moments.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
They're good fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjown7Lp0hY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3WbCRfad-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hklaugu42M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOGbyWsLAU

etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a board room somewhere, some producers where like "Hey for your new show, people seemed to love your undercover bits on the youtubes! We definitely need to add that to the next one." or something similar

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Gordon has strong costume energy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wish they would drop the Gordon psychiatrist act, nobody believed you were solving very deep emotional issues in a week Gordon. Especially now that you supposedly do it within a day.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Next weeks preview didn’t suggest any family stuff (maybe the crying in the shower lady is the owners wife tho) so I’m vaguely enthusiastic. It’s much better when it’s just some rear end in a top hat with employees he’s not related to.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

When my wife was a little kid, she used to go to that restaurant featured in last week's episode. She said the decor looked EXACTLY the same.

The local paper did a writeup on it.

quote:

Arriving at Lowery’s, the Chancellor’s Village visitors were instructed to go in and order what they wanted from the menu.

“It was fun for them, though some of the residents hadn’t seen the show and didn’t understand what was going on when Ramsay revealed himself and started yelling about what was wrong with his meal and the service,” she said. “I tried to share that this was just his TV persona and that he’s really a nice guy who would help the restaurant before the show was done.”

:cawg:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

24 Hours to Hell and Back is produced precisely the same as Kitchen Nightmares was (with the added gimmick of the fake "hidden cameras" that Bar Rescue uses), and the show itself is just the same show but with the "Gordon goes undercover in goofy-rear end makeup" and "Gordon fixes a broken restaurant within a day" add-ons, which are just :lol: personified.

I enjoy it, because it's enjoyable trash, just like Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant: Impossible were, but don't go into any of these shows expecting anything resembling a real story.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Real Talk: the 24-hour format is perfect for what they do because all a show can really do is clean and bring in new equipment. You are not going to teach an owner business acumen or a management team how to not poo poo the bed in less than six months...

Everything else can be done in a day with enough people. :shrug:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If course, that doesn’t keep them from trying to portray Ramsay as changing systemic issues that would require at a bare minimum 6 months to fix. I knows it’s just reality TV I just can’t honestly believe anybody would watch these shows at think they can actually help these people.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Invalid Validation posted:

If course, that doesn’t keep them from trying to portray Ramsay as changing systemic issues that would require at a bare minimum 6 months to fix. I knows it’s just reality TV I just can’t honestly believe anybody would watch these shows at think they can actually help these people.

It's more just, I can't imagine owning a place and thinking "I need a TV show to tell me to update the menu/decor I haven't changed in two decades and make the place clean enough that I'm not embarrassed by cameras..."

It's why my favorite part is always the Walkthrough: show me those inventory dollars and AvT, Ramsay! :homebrew:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wonder how much fun Gordon actually has with the goofy disguises and the yelling. I mean personally it sounds very stressful, but I'm not in TV so.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Gordon loves wearing disguises and playing practical jokes, so other than cooking I imagine it's his favourite part

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's more just, I can't imagine owning a place and thinking "I need a TV show to tell me to update the menu/decor I haven't changed in two decades and make the place clean enough that I'm not embarrassed by cameras..."

It's why my favorite part is always the Walkthrough: show me those inventory dollars and AvT, Ramsay! :homebrew:

Yeah I always figured it was just “free remodel, free deep clean, free advertising”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hanales posted:

Yeah I always figured it was just “free remodel, free deep clean, free advertising”

That's essentially what it is.

Also, if your restaurant is in such lovely straits that it winds up on one of the rescue shows, then it's already doomed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If your business is in the hole for hundreds of thousands of dollars getting a remodel isn’t going to pay those debts. The return on investment would almost certainly take more than a year to make a profit.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Isn't the point to remodel and then sell off the building?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

StarMinstrel posted:

Isn't the point to remodel and then sell off the building?

The vast majority--I'd say at least 90 percent--of restaurant owners don't actually own the space they use, it's leased. Because food service is such a volatile industry and restaurants can open and close within six months, landlords basically keep properties with turnkey kitchens so the next schmuck who comes around can set a few hundred thousand dollars on fire.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
*Gordon reveals himself*
:bravo:
"Let's get one thing clear: there's nothing to clap about." :nyd:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Bro looks like he’s wearing a skin suit in a horror movie 😂😂😂😂

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Thank god that dude took off the skin suit. He looked like the worst wax figure/animatronic version of Gordon possible.

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

*Gordon reveals himself*
:bravo:
"Let's get one thing clear: there's nothing to clap about." :nyd:

I def laughed at this moment. Hoping the next episode has less Ramsay The Psychiatrist boring parts though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I gotta say, in 7 seasons of Kitchen Nightmares plus 2 seasons of this new one, the owners at Botto's (Italian place with all the brothers) were the least assholes yet

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:aaaaa: 24 hours to Gordon was some Maury Povich-level drama! :dramabomb:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Other than the family stuff, that 24 Hours ep had to be the easiest one Gordon's done. No problems with food storage, the cooking staff was on the ball.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It didn’t even really need the redesign tbh

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Davros1 posted:

Other than the family stuff, that 24 Hours ep had to be the easiest one Gordon's done. No problems with food storage, the cooking staff was on the ball.

Yeah, a little disappointing, but on the other hand it's a local-ish restaurant so I'm really keen on checking it out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Well, that completely fell apart at the end. Also what was up with the owner's hair?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

Well, that completely fell apart at the end. Also what was up with the owner's hair?

I've seen five-heads, but that was a damned two-head

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

Between the owner and Ramsay, there was a lot of hair going on.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
god drat lol at that update

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Popoto posted:

god drat lol at that update

Gotta love it when a failing resturaunteur thinks he can do better by going back to the way it was

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Iron Crowned posted:

Gotta love it when a failing resturaunteur thinks he can do better by going back to the way it was

Excuse me, Kirin made it clear on multiple occasions that he is not a restauranteur or a chef.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Maybe it's because I go back to thinking of Kitchen Nightmares, but I am actually surprised we don't have more "failure" updates like this one.

Like seriously, a day with Ramsay's home-spun wisdom and cleaning the gently caress out of the kitchen is all these restaurants ever seem to need to completely turn their business around?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ballz posted:

Maybe it's because I go back to thinking of Kitchen Nightmares, but I am actually surprised we don't have more "failure" updates like this one.

Like seriously, a day with Ramsay's home-spun wisdom and cleaning the gently caress out of the kitchen is all these restaurants ever seem to need to completely turn their business around?

I seem to notice in the “successful” updates that it’s almost entirely FaceTime footage of the owner saying “things are great :cheers:“ interspersed with footage that was clearly shot during the reopening night and not any actual subsequent dinner services.

All that just to say I’m not convinced he’s successful as often as we’re led to believe :tinfoil:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think we're supposed to think he's 100% successful, just that if it is going to succeed, what he does is the best shot. He obviously has no control after he leaves if they hire back the useless family member, put old favorites back on the menu, never clean the new elaborate decor, etc. Also, even if it's perfect, they need enough money to stay afloat while customers rediscover it, and obv most have exhausted all their financing.

Here's actual updates! https://www.kitchennightmaresupdates.com/p/24-hours-to-hell-back-updates.html?m=1

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 23, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Iron Crowned posted:

The face of his ex screaming “I really don’t want to be here filming this” and her deadpan delivery was what made it for me.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My God, the finale of 24 Hours to Hell and Back was scraping the bottom of the barrel. First the drunkard tumbleweed-head manager and the kitchen with a single burner and a giant toaster, to an incompetent moron who can't even memorize the details of one dish.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you go look at the old kitchen nightmare updates most of those restaurants are closed. Giving a makeover and a half assed therapist session doesn’t keep you from fixing your half million dollar debt. Who woulda thunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My favorite ones were the owner quickly turned around and sold the business after Gordon had been there.