Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Curtis LeMay is laughing at a mere 5x15kt/sec

E: gently caress, hello new page, please accept the worst stealth fighter ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o89vbZjBAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The sun is shining at the earth at 2700 Hiroshima nukes a second.
A tent of earth forms above the middle of Curtis LeMay's grave.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

joat mon posted:

The sun is shining at the earth at 2700 Hiroshima nukes a second.
A tent of earth forms above the middle of Curtis LeMay's grave.

"2700 Hiroshimas - not great, not terrible"
- the ghost of Gen. Thomas S. Power

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

gently caress yeah?

Except the technology didn't work but for some reason Edward Teller kept telling people it totally did and it was gonna be deployed any day now.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Madurai posted:

For those of you willing to brave the onslaught of racist family members on Facebook, I have some content collected there: Cold War Ironmongery

Followed, looks great!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Did you know you can touch a sr-71?

So much cancer in the radar absorbing paint!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They said touch, not lick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol as if I'm not going to take the opportunity to taste the fastest aircraft to ever fly if given the opportunity. I will have little a radar absorbent material, as a treat.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Neophyte posted:

"2700 Hiroshimas - not great, not terrible"
- the ghost of Gen. Thomas S. Power

Current US arsenal, ~1.5 Gt. Peak arsenal had 5x the warheads, and probably a lot of larger ones, so let's say 15 Gt.

at 173,000 terawatts, that's 6 minutes of solar flux hitting the earth.

So we just need to MRSI the missiles to all go off within 6 minutes, and we can overpower the sun.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

So much cancer in the radar absorbing paint!

If that plane wasn't repainted in home depot black instead leaving RAM paint on for thievery...actually now I'm wondering if they even had RAM on the Blackbird, seems like it would have just been high temp paint to my mind.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defense Watch Watch

quote:

Trump is also setting the stage for an expanded NATO presence in Iraq. Trump noted he has even come up with a name for the new force, one he claimed NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg was very excited about. “NATO, and then you have ME, Middle East,” Trump explained. “They would call it NATOME. I’m good at names.”

Also I missed this: you know how "cold weather testing" was seen as important for picking a new RCAF fighter, as well as having a fly off competition?

That's off

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 16, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NightGyr posted:

Current US arsenal, ~1.5 Gt. Peak arsenal had 5x the warheads, and probably a lot of larger ones, so let's say 15 Gt.

at 173,000 terawatts, that's 6 minutes of solar flux hitting the earth.

So we just need to MRSI the missiles to all go off within 6 minutes, and we can overpower the sun.

Weaksauce compared to dropping a big enough rock. In the Chicxulub impact, the forests of the entire hemisphere erupted in flame from the radiant glow of all the debris that didn't reach escape velocity reentering the atmosphere.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Weaksauce compared to dropping a big enough rock. In the Chicxulub impact, the forests of the entire hemisphere erupted in flame from the radiant glow of all the debris that didn't reach escape velocity reentering the atmosphere.

The heat generated from my instant boner just vaporized my pants because of your post.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Very cold war feeling news from Sweden. SÄPO (Swedish Security Service) found a network of about ten people who where collecting information about swedish military facilities. Taking pictures and making lists of installations. So of course they were Russian spies right? Or Chinese perhaps?

Well, no. Turns out they were all Swedish nerds who were just too obsessed with military poo poo. One of them was just sentenced to a year in prison. But it'll be interesting to see what happens now. Basically all the information was already freely availble and they apparently didn't take any pictures of any particularly important stuff and got most of it from the internet. First time something like this has happened. Reading the law (skimming it late at night so I'm not 100% sure here) doing this type of stuff will get you a fine at best and two years in prison at worst. And the judges basically said: "this never happened, we have no idea so let's say a year".

During interrogations he was asked why he was taking pictures of a radio masts.

His answer: "a mast can be beautiful".

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
TheFluff, check in please :ohdear:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hedenius posted:

Very cold war feeling news from Sweden. SÄPO (Swedish Security Service) found a network of about ten people who where collecting information about swedish military facilities. Taking pictures and making lists of installations. So of course they were Russian spies right? Or Chinese perhaps?

Well, no. Turns out they were all Swedish nerds who were just too obsessed with military poo poo. One of them was just sentenced to a year in prison. But it'll be interesting to see what happens now. Basically all the information was already freely availble and they apparently didn't take any pictures of any particularly important stuff and got most of it from the internet. First time something like this has happened. Reading the law (skimming it late at night so I'm not 100% sure here) doing this type of stuff will get you a fine at best and two years in prison at worst. And the judges basically said: "this never happened, we have no idea so let's say a year".

Conscript him duh. Make him serve out his time in the service.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

...and this, my dear Menig, is how the army peels potatoes. Got it? Good. At Menig 1kl, you will learn how the army washes pots!

Have you read The Good Soldier Schweik? If you haven't, I think it would align with your sense of humor quite well.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

He was conscripted. Did his (at the time) mandatory military service as a radio operator or something like that. May explain his fascination with masts. One reason the judges were a bit harder on him. They reasoned that since he'd spent time in the military he would have understood that what he was doing was illegal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hedenius posted:

He was conscripted. Did his (at the time) mandatory military service as a radio operator or something like that. May explain his fascination with masts. One reason the judges were a bit harder on him. They reasoned that since he'd spent time in the military he would have understood that what he was doing was illegal.

Lol conscript him again and make him a MP for mast protection. Ain’t gonna find anyone more protective than the man who loves the mast.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

shame on an IGA posted:

My favorite detail of Chicxulub is that it almost certainly deafened every living thing on earth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

My favorite detail of Chicxulub is that it almost certainly deafened every living thing on earth.

Not the plants, surely.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Not the plants, surely.

WHAT?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

never mind old man

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hey, at least our dud cluster bombs are no longer designed to look like squishy children's toys like they were in Vietnam. Baby steps.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Hedenius posted:

This reminds me of the time we arrested a couple of guys photographing one of our readiness airports in the Greek islands (Lemnos) for espionage, and they turned out to be ArmA III game developers..XD

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 16, 2020

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
To know your enemy, invent a game and watch him play it?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Dante80 posted:

This reminds me of the time we arrested a couple of guys photographing one of our readiness airports in the Greek islands (Lemnos) for espionage, and they turned out to be ArmA III game developers..XD

Surprised this wasn't the case this time as well.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Some sim programmer got in trouble for shipping F-16 (I think) manuals overseas as reference materials for DCS.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Smiling Jack posted:

Some sim programmer got in trouble for shipping F-16 (I think) manuals overseas as reference materials for DCS.

It was a DCS developer, and he got caught trying to bypass ITAR by using a proxy to get some F-16A/B reference manuals shipped through to Russia (his home country) - the proxy is yet to go on trial iirc

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Kind of a shame there since there can’t be much of value in a F-16A/B manual. Thing barely had radar at that point. If it jumped to a Block 30+ I could see the issue though since those are still in active service.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Didn’t some British plane spotters get locked up in Greece a few years back for plane spotting.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arglebargle III posted:

Not the plants, surely.

Who knows? Plants actually have a sense of hearing somehow, since lab experiments have shown roots will grow toward the sound of flowing water even if no water is actually present.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I know Canadian defense procurement is a fiasco, but things are now so bad they have teams of squaddies stripping old cars for parts:

https://twitter.com/sascha_p/status/1217810998486237184

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

In addition to that disaster, Lake Karachay, which was first used as cooling water for the open-cycle production reactors (we at least had the good sense to use a river for that) and then later as a dump site, receded over time, and the lakebed which was exposed dried up and blew away after a severe drought. There's something like 4 exabequerels of activity dissolved in and sedimented out of that lake, considerably more than was released from Chernobyl and in a much smaller area.

One of the hilarious things about Mayak is that they built a four‐storey plant.

poo poo flows downhill.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Hedenius posted:

Oh wow, haven't heard anything about that in the news. Amazing.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

zoux posted:

We must nuke Yellowstone in order to save it

:hmmyes:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There's not a SEAPOWER thread (though my dad used to get this big encylcopedia of ships and weapon system from the navy league every year called SEAPOWER and man would I sperg over that), so I'll ask this here. The old thread mentioned in passing that the US Navy has problems crewing all it's ships adequately and in the milhist thread someone mentioned similar problems in the Royal Navy. What's the deal? Nobody joins the navy anymore or is there something else going on? Too many ships we don't need requiring too much maintenance or what?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Most ships in current navies are 30+ years old so were built for height of the coldwar staffing. As the military slowly draws down it leads to manning issues. That why the freedom/independence automation was such a huge deal

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Largely problems recruiting. Getting people to sign on for a service where you are probably going to be away from . . . well. . . everything for extended periods of time is a big ask. Doubly so once you start getting into the sort of people who want to make a career and maybe have kids vs. just learn a trade and bounce. Basically all of the problems you see with frequent deployments, only endemic to the branch because of its role rather than something that's not supposed to be the norm.

It was an issue in the late cold war too, and there were a few early attempts to decrease the number of sailors needed per ship. Really you see people start to squint hard at Navy staffing once the draft ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There's not a SEAPOWER thread (though my dad used to get this big encylcopedia of ships and weapon system from the navy league every year called SEAPOWER and man would I sperg over that), so I'll ask this here. The old thread mentioned in passing that the US Navy has problems crewing all it's ships adequately and in the milhist thread someone mentioned similar problems in the Royal Navy. What's the deal? Nobody joins the navy anymore or is there something else going on? Too many ships we don't need requiring too much maintenance or what?

With the Royal Navy, in addition to the problems mentioned, the pay stinks and so other navies are luring experienced RN sailors away with better pay. This is just the tip of widescale problems in recruiting and retention that the US and the UK have. Essentially poo poo's hosed in so many ways, and people inside the military are protesting the only effective way they can, with their feet.