Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Amazon threw a little blooper reel on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiRwuf8P-Zs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it also hurts a bit that Shohreh Aghdashloo is really good and Nancy Gao's actress is not. I dunno what was up with that, I haven't seen her in anything else so I don't know if she just always seems like she's woodenly reading a cue card off screen or she was directed poorly.

I dunno, I thought that was a reasonable depiction of a shallow, basically empty-suit politician.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

McSpanky posted:

I feel like I'm the only person that caught onto this and I haven't read the books. She clearly has no patience for leadership or ability to tolerate the kind of social maneuvering that formal politics requires, she'd much rather be setting up the dominos than dealing with the mess when they tip over.
This always seemed pretty explicit to me. Even without the "political aristocracy" line from this season and "why haven't you ever run for office?" "I like getting poo poo done" from before that straight up say it, she still comes across as someone who's been a comfortably permanent fixture in politics for a long time. What's a term limit but an automatic loss, to someone like her?

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Norton the First posted:

I dunno, I thought that was a reasonable depiction of a shallow, basically empty-suit politician.

Seems like the same read of seeing Steven Strait's portrayal of Holden as an annoying can't-help-himself idealistic dogooder lunkhead - pitch perfect to how the character is written - and taking that as an indictment of his acting ability.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can see that. I'd have to see her in something else to judge.

For what it's worth it's the first time in the Expanse I thought they hired a bad actor. But I'm aware it could just be she was directed that way and it didn't work for me.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 15, 2020

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it also hurts a bit that Shohreh Aghdashloo is really good and Nancy Gao's actress is not.

Boobs though. booobs.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

gfarrell80 posted:

Boobs though. booobs.

:hmmyes:

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Did I somehow miss seeing her boobs? I'm usually pretty keen on boobs.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

all of you disgust me and I don't think we see her boobs at any point, nor did I notice her boobs overmuch as a proud horny lesbian.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gfarrell80 posted:

Boobs though. booobs.

What.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

gfarrell80 posted:

Boobs though. booobs.

No, like, what was she wearing?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I find it a little funny that for Nancy Gao they cast an actress named... Lily Gao.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
There isn’t much sex in the series it’s barely even worth mentioning. Also all the main characters dress professionally so not that kind of show.

I’m not sure which season but Amos starts to hold back and puts Holden at close to the same level as Naomi.

This recent season Amos holds back completely. The old Amos would have started a firefight right away. Amos isn’t a psychopath he’s just had a really hosed up childhood.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He still wants an excuse to be the old him. It's why he gave that face and thanked Murtry. The gratitude was sincere.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

gfarrell80 posted:

Boobs though. booobs.

I dont really know gfarrell80, but to give him the benefit of the doubt the implication he may be trying to ineloquently make here may be this: a young attractive person was casted as the sole other candidate for the most senior political position of a monolithic planetary government. A quick look at who stands in positions of in the real world UN and as heads of state of real world countries suggest a different demographic.

Hollywood (or in this case, Toronto) skews towards the young and attractive. This may all have to represent specific things Avasarala would afraid of in an opponent, or perhaps not her fears, but a personification of the planet's youthful idealism in the face of the opportunities represented. But equally likely, and I believe then crux of the inarticulate quoted statement may have been this: perhaps they failed to fully invest in the concept of a character, filled the role with a central casting stand in and the character portrayal was doomed from the start because there wasnt a give-a-gently caress from the writers/producers.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I know this isn't the book thread but just about anybody in the books who's anywhere up to 60 has been turned into someone young and attractive in the show. It's definitely a Hollywood trope it's failed to go against.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is justifiable in the text at least, life extension treatments have slowed aging and people don't really get to the middle age slowdown until their 70s. Expanse people (with access to the treatments) do look younger than their age by our standards.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grand Fromage posted:

It is justifiable in the text at least, life extension treatments have slowed aging and people don't really get to the middle age slowdown until their 70s. Expanse people (with access to the treatments) do look younger than their age by our standards.

What do the treatments do to their boobs?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

An example that's straight against the text: in the books, Prax has salt-and-pepper hair, clear signs of aging (as he should, he's not living it large as a botanist on Ganymede). The acquaintance of his who helps him escape, is older with gray hair. Both are clearly younger people in the show.

Tilly Fagan also used to be Clarissa and Julie's nanny/"Aunt Tilly" but in the show she's just a contemporary socialite of their age.

It doesn't break the show or anything but the show is definitely skewing more to young and hot than the books originally intended.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sure, I'm not claiming that casting/acting in general doesn't skew towards the attractive. All I'm saying is that if you want to find some way to justify it for some reason, the life extension makes that simple.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I want the show to be older, less white, and very very gay. Holden/Amos/Alex when??

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

T-man posted:

I want the show to be older, less white, and very very gay. Holden/Amos/Alex when??

Nah, Amos doesn't gently caress people he likes. But his sexual orientation is explicitly stated to be "yes" so...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

rndmnmbr posted:

Nah, Amos doesn't gently caress people he likes. But his sexual orientation is explicitly stated to be "yes" so...

He liked Wei...

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I like the names that don't seem to attach to 21st century concepts of ethnicity at all.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
This show has one of the most ethnically diverse casts on television. What are you on about?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah but e.g. Naomi Nagata doesn't seem very Japanese despite her last name, the future is one big melting pot where everyone kills each other over which gravity well they grew up in rather than whatever old Earth country their ancestors were from.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

2/4 of the leads (who tend to eat Alex's screentime imo #morealex) are burly white dudes from Baltimore and Missouri respectively. It can be good, but I want better, or improvement in other ways. Let's get some gay kisses or a single trans character, or even a shout out that trans people exist and we have epstein drive penises for trans dudes or something.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

T-man posted:

2/4 of the leads (who tend to eat Alex's screentime imo #morealex) are burly white dudes from Baltimore and Missouri respectively. It can be good, but I want better, or improvement in other ways. Let's get some gay kisses or a single trans character, or even a shout out that trans people exist and we have epstein drive penises for trans dudes or something.

The Expanse is no longer small enough in scope to claim that the crew of the Rocinante are the only leads.

Also FFS can we stop creeping on Lily Gao? The last time she was brought up posters were insisting they needed to see her fight naked.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Some of the Sheep posted:

The Expanse is no longer small enough in scope to claim that the crew of the Rocinante are the only leads.

For sure. At minimum it's those four + Avasarala and Bobbie. I would also include Drummer, so that's 2/7 of the leads are white if that's really what you need to judge things on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah I think the expanse is actually exceptionaly good on the diversity factor

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

T-man posted:

Actually you'll find Jon Space is from Montana.

But yeah as others said it's a very diverse show, except that obviously white belters should be nearly non-existent.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah I think the expanse is actually exceptionaly good on the diversity factor

It has to be the most diverse show out at the moment, but forget that all the characters are super interesting and the stories cool.

Surely that is all that should matter?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
LGBTQ people like to see themselves in cool stories, too. Maybe especially in 'the future', because it's a little ominous if they're not there and you think about it for a second.

I don't think The Expanse should be at the top of any lists of shows to criticize, but it's fair for people who watch the show especially to say that it could be doing better.

Everyone can do better.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Some of the Sheep posted:

Also FFS can we stop creeping on Lily Gao? The last time she was brought up posters were insisting they needed to see her fight naked.

IIRC this was a joke about how people couldn't tell the difference between her and Dichen Lachman, who did fight naked on Altered Carbon.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

piL posted:

I dont really know gfarrell80, but to give him the benefit of the doubt the implication he may be trying to ineloquently make here may be this: a young attractive person was casted as the sole other candidate for the most senior political position of a monolithic planetary government. A quick look at who stands in positions of in the real world UN and as heads of state of real world countries suggest a different demographic.

Hollywood (or in this case, Toronto) skews towards the young and attractive. This may all have to represent specific things Avasarala would afraid of in an opponent, or perhaps not her fears, but a personification of the planet's youthful idealism in the face of the opportunities represented. But equally likely, and I believe then crux of the inarticulate quoted statement may have been this: perhaps they failed to fully invest in the concept of a character, filled the role with a central casting stand in and the character portrayal was doomed from the start because there wasnt a give-a-gently caress from the writers/producers.

Correct! If Avasarala's opponent was more of an Angela Merkel... eh, probably not going to happen on television but more realistic.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lily Gao is the Pete Buttgieg Stand-In someone who has been calculating a path to the presidency from as young as possible.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

gfarrell80 posted:

Correct! If Avasarala's opponent was more of an Angela Merkel... eh, probably not going to happen on television but more realistic.

After rereading that, I do feel like I went a little far with the roasting and want to apologize for that. I'm sorry.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i hope lily gao and bobby kiss is s5, right after the Holden/Amos/Alex polycule forms

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

T-man posted:

i hope lily gao and bobby kiss is s5, right after the Holden/Amos/Alex polycule forms

that'd be loving epic!! XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This thread is getting too horny.