Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FoolyCharged posted:

Hmmm... this army of VERY convenient soldiers was discovered by tailing an assassin and placed by a dead man on a planet hidden from us because someone deleted all mentions of it from our massive archive.

Oh well, let's use it and drop all suspicions after making this call!

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I know of ten brothers & sisters, all Dark Side users, who would also probably go the game’s route believably too.

I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate! God, that was a great movie. Thank Heaven for Mel Brooks!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SoundwaveAU posted:

I think the dark side option for the family feud is amazing because it's so ridiculous and over-the-top. All the dark side options in this game are basically "I did it for the lulz" type stuff but this is the pinnacle, and it just loops back around to being absolutely hilarious.

If memory serves some of the dialogue on that path is just a very fed up, "you know what? gently caress it. Kill yourselves." And really, by that point in the quest, who doesn't feel that way?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FoolyCharged posted:

Hmmm... this army of VERY convenient soldiers was discovered by tailing an assassin and placed by a dead man on a planet hidden from us because someone deleted all mentions of it from our massive archive.

Oh well, let's use it and drop all suspicions after making this call!

Also never once do they ask 'hey, is it right to force these people to fight? People bred and conditioned to kill people and robbed of their childhoods and everything? Are we making a good call using what is effectively slave soldiers?'

Nope, right to 'around the survivors, a perimeter create'.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Also never once do they ask 'hey, is it right to force these people to fight? People bred and conditioned to kill people and robbed of their childhoods and everything? Are we making a good call using what is effectively slave soldiers?'

Nope, right to 'around the survivors, a perimeter create'.

But first we need to give the Supreme Chancellor unlimited powahhhhhhh

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did the Jedi council support Palpatine's power grab? I didn't watch the prequel movies.

The dark side option is perfectly sensible honestly. If by any chance a Sith followed the questline to the end without force choking/lightning any of these assholes (hell if I know why though) then frankly letting the idiots kill each other would be cathartic.
Actually, I could see Palpatine doing poo poo like this as training for his persuasion and manipulation skills.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Omobono posted:

Did the Jedi council support Palpatine's power grab? I didn't watch the prequel movies.

The dark side option is perfectly sensible honestly. If by any chance a Sith followed the questline to the end without force choking/lightning any of these assholes (hell if I know why though) then frankly letting the idiots kill each other would be cathartic.
Actually, I could see Palpatine doing poo poo like this as training for his persuasion and manipulation skills.

No, that's why Mace Windu tried to kill him in RotS.

The problem is that the Council was being their usual 'hey let's not say a loving word'-selves and told no one about their suspicions about Palpatine, while Palpatine was painting the Jedi as wanting to take over. This means that Windu's attempted assassination did nothing but prove Palpatine right in the eyes of the Senate, which meant no one opposed him taking over and kicking off Order 66.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

To be fair to Star Wars, in most situations we're looking at the twilight years of a massive (para)military organisation that is completely unchecked by the government. Not just that, they're basically alien to the populace due to their training and powers (not to mention their splinters keep dragging everyone into wars every couple years or so), while being arrogantly superior on their own. They're also completely used to having their way due to the soft power (and mind powers) they wield, so not caring about the plebs at all then doing something idiotic when they realise they're getting outmaneuvered is realistic. I mean it's not the first civil war/splinter problem that got solved or "solved" by throwing Jedi knight assassins at it.
The fine writing is more or less all over the place, but the broad strokes align with the roman praetorian guard, medieval knightly orders, the jannisaries etc. who were also more or less obvious inspirations. And there's pretty much nobody that can write stuff well with "objective" morality being forced on the setting, you'll inevitably run into (war)crimes justified and excused by alignment checks. Not to mention smaller scale jarring stuff like the whole Juhani thing. If was Obsidian writing it instead of Bioware I'd say they're lampshading on purpose with an inevitable later Sith quest/dialogue dealing with the same situation in a sensible way, really.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I expected it to be a fakeout, the rampaging Kath hounds etc just a fabrication, and when you get there, to find some disguised Jedi Master testing you and seeing how you handle it.

Instead we got Juhani :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

KOTOR 2 is basically an entire game of 'you know, gently caress the Jedi Order' for a reason.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

As others have pointed out, for some reason (probably because I haven't watched AoTC in over a decade) I remembered the Jedi being all like "yes Bail Organa this is a great plan to have Senator Jar Jar Binks (:laffo:) tell the Senate that we should give the Chancellor emergency powers so he can activate the army."

I sort of forgot that most of the Jedi (named and otherwise) were already en-route to Geonosis and therefore couldn't have been at that meeting. On the other hand they were mostly like "oh I don't know about this but ok" in regards to most of what Palpatine was doing until Anakin realized "oh wait the guy who keeps telling me about the Dark Side and how cool it is, is the Sith Lord we've been looking for"

Night10194 posted:

KOTOR 2 is basically an entire game of 'you know, gently caress the Jedi Order' for a reason.

Unfortunately I feel KOTOR 2 also goes too far in doing this and disappears up its own rear end at a point, but I know that's not really the consensus opinion of that story.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Angry_Ed posted:

Unfortunately I feel KOTOR 2 also goes too far in doing this and disappears up its own rear end at a point, but I know that's not really the consensus opinion of that story.

Chris Avellone seems be prone to falling into the "hurr every side is equally terrible forever hurr" hole occasionally
also there's apparently a System Shock remake being kickstarted in 2020, looking at his wiki?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The prequel trilogy is mostly to blame for the Jedi being stupid and crazy; in the original, Luke and Obiwan are decent guys. And the whole 'Obiwan lied about Vader' thing is primarily because Vader being Luke's dad wasn't even planned until Empire Strikes Back was written.

Why I make the distinction of The Jedi Order and not so much the Jedi; as an institution it seems to be hosed up and very bad for Jedi.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

The prequel trilogy is mostly to blame for the Jedi being stupid and crazy; in the original, Luke and Obiwan are decent guys. And the whole 'Obiwan lied about Vader' thing is primarily because Vader being Luke's dad wasn't even planned until Empire Strikes Back was written.

In retrospect Lucas clearly thought "from a certain point of view" was a valid answer and not Obi-wan desperately trying to flail out of admitting a blatant and deliberate lie.

Now admittedly the lie was needed back on Tatooine, no way young Luke doesn't react badly to the revelation, and Obi-wan caught a slight case of death while escaping, but Yoda should have told Luke.

Thinking a bit about it, I think the Juhani situation can be made to work with minimal changes:
1) we have Bastila in the party. She's de facto supervising us. Make it official
2) protect the civilians from the angered wildlife in the meantime you goddamn rear end in a top hat Jedis
3) and make this an accident not a deliberate object lesson from Juhani's master you goddamn rear end in a top hat Jedis

like, straight up admit: "well, we didn't plan this but this happened a week ago and it is a great practical test for a would-be padawan, we've cordoned off the area to avoid casualties and if you screw up Bastila can intervene, good luck"
Still assholes, but not stupid and callous ones.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

On the subject of the PC should really be supervised a bit more:

"Hello, you two basic initiates. We sent an experienced guy to check out these old ruins that might have lead the current sith lords to the dark side. The old guy didnt return. So we figured we'd send you two newbies, completely unsupervised, to this extremely dangerous looking potential source of dark side. What? No a master can't tag along this super dangerous and important misson because we are all sadly busy gazing up our own assholes."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Can't let you secretly go dark side if they're hovering around watching you!

the Dantooine enclave seems to be, hm, not exactly the varsity.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Part 14: The Overseer

Last time, we put an end to a long-standing family feud (at least until the next time the two patriarchs have an argument about something), explored some crystal caves, and killed a bunch of Mandalorian raiders who had been attacking the settlers on Dantooine.

We also mercy-killed this lady's droid, and now we have to give her the news. I'm sure this will go well.

You can tell her that the droid is still out there and she will run off into the wilderness, never to be seen again. You can also say the droid was destroyed by kath hounds, which has the exact same result as telling the truth here. In case you're wondering, we're glowing because our Arkanian energy shield is still active after the last battle. Probably would've been a better idea to use the Mandalorian melee shield against Sherruk, but at least the energy shield ensured we didn't get damaged by any of the henchmen.

Elise takes the news about as well as expected, and wanders off towards the Jedi Enclave.

Our objective for today is to actually make some progress in the plot, and that means heading to the ruins we saw in our vision of Revan and Malak. Naturally, the way to the ruins is crawling with kath hounds.

And we're here. Really not a long walk at all, which makes it odd the Jedi have never investigated the ruins before. They did say they assumed these were just burial mounds, but why would they not have checked them out anyway in case there's... I don't know, ancient holocrons or something in there?

Well, regardless, we are here now.

It's time to find out what Revan and Malak discovered in here.

This is definitely the place we saw in the vision.

Surprisingly, the first door we encounter opens without any issue. That strange droid up ahead looks slightly worrying, though.

Come again?

The droid switches to something that sounds like Tusken, which we can't understand either.

Thanks, Bastila. We figured out that much.

The droid now begins emitting horrible gurgling noises, which... we can understand perfectly!

Selkath are the fish people of Manaan, one of whom appears front and center on KotOR's box art for some reason. Bastila makes a good point as well - why would this droid be able to speak Selkath or especially Tusken?

But you are not of the slave species. Neither are you of the Builders. You are like the one who came before.

It must be referring to Revan. The Dark Lord and Malak likely encountered this droid when they explored these ruins.

At project completion all slaves were executed. I was reprogrammed to serve should a Builder return in search of knowledge of the Star Forge.

We heard something about the Star Forge in the vision and the droid has mentioned it again, so let's see if it can tell us something more.

That isn't much of an answer.

The... the Star Forge is the glory of the Builders, the apex of their infinite empire. It is a machine of invincible might, a tool of unstoppable conquest.

The "Forge" part seems to imply something to that effect.

Maybe the droid has more information we can use. It seems to respond to you; perhaps you should ask it something else.

Ten revolutions would take more than 20,000 years. If this is true then this droid is nearly 5,000 years older than the Republic itself! There must be some mistake.

There is no mistake. The Builders constructed my chronological circuitry using the technology of the Star Forge itself. My calculations are infallible.

How is this thing still running after all that time? What is this Star Forge technology and where did it come from?

Right, but who are they?

In the years before the Republic the Hutts were a dominant force in the galaxy, but they never constructed an empire. In fact, I know of no species that would fit with this information.

This seems like a reasonable assumption at this point.

If they did get wiped out thousands of years ago, Overseer here clearly wasn't informed.

I have been here ever since the completion of this monument. In all this time no Builder has returned to seek information on the Star Forge.

Where can we find the Star Forge?

Now that the slaves are gone, my purpose is to aid those who seek knowledge of the Star Forge... if they are worthy.

Tell me about Revan and Malak... the ones who came before us.

The droid must be talking about poor Nemo. The Council sent him here to investigate... and it cost him his life.

I guess that answers the question of what happened to the Jedi that was sent to investigate the ruins.

Enter the proving grounds to the east and west. Within them those who understand the will of the Builders can unlock their secrets and open the doors. But those who fail will be destroyed by the power of the temple itself. More than this, I am not programmed to say.

We have to find out what they uncovered. We have to find a way to unseal these doors to learn more about the Star Forge! The Republic is depending on us.

Before we enter the proving grounds, we'll check Nemo's body. The Sigil crystal adds a nice damage bonus to your lightsaber, and the Jedi Knight robe has slightly increased defense over the basic Jedi robe (+2 instead of +1).

It also looks nicer, which is much appreciated.

We can tackle either of the proving grounds first, so let's open the east door and find out what lurks behind. The answer to that question seems to be a hostile guard droid.

These droids have energy shields that will absorb the first 30 points of damage, but they're also resistant to energy damage in general. We're still doing okay damage with our lightsabers, though.

The droid is also equipped with a flamethrower, which is slightly annoying but doesn't help it much in the end.

Okay then. Let's see what we can do with this ancient computer.

Can we slice into this thing?

Well, that didn't work at all. I guess we'll just press buttons, then.

Okay, fine, then we'll press even more buttons. Time to button mash!

Does this pile of poo poo even function?

Violence doesn't help either, so the only option is to talk to the computer. We don't know what to say or if the computer even understands us, but it's worth a shot. What do you think Zila would say to the computer?

Hey, that looks vaguely like progress.

Sure, we'll shove our datapad into the ancient computer we can barely operate. What could go wrong?

Okay, that seems like it might be good...

Er... Itasoo'khf yourself?

[Your datapad is released from the receptacle and the machine goes silent for a moment before flickering to life again.]

Life-giving seed? Hm... well, considering our options, Oceanic, Grassland, and Arboreal would make sense (the first time I played this as a teenager in Finland, I had no clue what "arboreal" meant, but since the only other remaining options are Desert, Volcanic, and Barren it wasn't too difficult to figure out it was one of the correct choices).

These world types also happen to mostly correspond to the planets we visit over the course of the game. Grassland is of course Dantooine. Oceanic seems to be Manaan, and since the Overseer speaks Tusken we can infer Tatooine is the desert world. So what are the other ones? We'll find that out soon enough, but I should also point out there is no volcanic planet in the game. There was meant to be one (Sleheyron) but it got cut early in development and no content for it exists in the game. There was a mod in the works many years ago to "restore" Sleheyron (i.e. create the whole thing from scratch and make up a bunch of stuff) but I don't know if it ever got finished.

The door to the west has another guardian droid behind it. This one uses a freeze ray instead of a flamethrower, which is quite irritating.

Still, this droid meets the same fate as his counterpart at the other end.

Another ancient terminal. This is accessed in the exact same way as the other one, so I'll skip that part.

Naturally, this is where you choose the options you didn't pick for the life-giving seed world types.

If you gently caress up and enter the wrong options, the temple defenses will create another guardian droid you have to fight, and then you can try again. It doesn't kill you outright or anything.

The seals on the door are now broken, and we can access the rest of the temple. We can also talk to the Overseer again if we want.

We could also ask him some of our previous questions again, but we'll just leave him be and head through the formerly sealed door.

Have a good time, buddy.

And here we are. That contraption must be the same one we saw Revan and Malak activate in our vision.

This is a... a map. Some sort of intergalactic navigational chart. Revan and Malak must have used this to lead them to the Star Forge. We could use this map to follow their path and find the Star Forge ourselves. But we must be wary... they may have laid traps or concealed what they found.

But I think this map might be the key to finding the Star Forge, whatever it is.

But there are pieces missing: incomplete hyperspace coordinates, corrupted data... and there doesn't seem to be anything indicating where the Star Forge itself might be.

They may have found something on each of the other worlds that completed this map. Maybe if we find all the pieces they will lead us to the Star Forge... and some way to destroy it. We must inform the Council of what we have discovered. They must decide our next course of action, though I suspect our task has only just begun.

Well then. If we want to find the Star Forge, it looks like we're going to have to keep following in Revan and Malak's footsteps, hopefully not all the way to the dark side.

First off, let's return to the Enclave and see what the Council has to say about this latest development.

Oh. Yeah. This happens if your party members are too far away.

Come along, T3. The AI companions occasionally get stuck on geometry, but if all else fails you can take direct control of them and free them of their predicament.

I kept this in because using Force Whirlwind on some of these creatures looks hilarious.

When we killed the Mandalorian leader last time, we also avenged the murder of Jon's daughter, so let's inform him of Sherruk's demise.

Thank you, young Master. My daughter can now, I think, rest in peace. Here is the reward I promised you.

Thank you, Jon.

Again, I thank you. I will be sure to tell the Council of your great deed.

As usual, we would've earned light side points for refusing the reward, but we're not going to say no to 1000 credits. At this point in the game, that is still a sizable sum of money.

Now, before we talk to the Council, we should take a small detour back to the guest room area.

Hey, it's Elise! And some guy with a weird name!

Hm. Elise apparently moves quite fast.

But I must. I was much too attached to my droid... It was all that was left of my husband, you see. Maybe I thought that, through the droid, my husband could live again... be with me still...

Yes, the way he told us to gently caress off just now was rather pleasant. Still, Elise seems happy so we're not going to insult her new beau in front of her.

But I think we should be going now... we have so much more to talk about! I just wanted to thank you for what you've done for me, and what you tried to do. Goodbye, and thank you.

The ways of the Force are strange indeed.

Anyhow, now we can go meet with the Council.

Return to your ship with Bastila and we will summon you when we are done.

Some time passes...

We Jedi know victory over the Sith will not come through martial might. The Council has a mission for you, Padawan.

The Star Map in the ruins showed you four planets, but it was incomplete. It did not show the location of the Star Forge itself. We believe there may be similar Star Maps on other planets. Each Star Map is likely a small piece of a larger puzzle. Find the Star Maps on Kashyyyk, Tatooine, Manaan and Korriban and we believe they will lead you to the Star Forge.

I don't like either of these dialogue options much.

Yet if we sent a company of Jedi Knights with you we would surely draw the full attention of Malak and the Sith, dooming your efforts to failure.

Bastila will accompany you, for there is a powerful connection between you two... a connection that might be the key to unraveling the mysteries uncovered by Revan. And Juhani has also asked to accompany you. After long deliberation we have granted her request.

Juhani nearly fell to the dark side. Perhaps her presence will serve as a reminder to you of the dangers of that path.

Nearly? She absolutely fell to the dark side, which as we've established caused the wild animals to go on a rampage and attack settlers. All of which you knew about, and did nothing.

You will not be able to hide the fact that you are Jedi, nor should you. But the true nature of your mission must not reach Malak's ears. You may return here at any time. Dantooine will be a sanctuary for you, a safe haven. Here you can find supplies and whatever advice or other aid we may give you.

Now, I don't usually go for the cheap jokes, but I simply can't unsee how... well, baked Vandar looks in this scene. He looks weirdly off-model here, and just comes across like he's been hanging out with the Palpatine clone from Dark Empire.

The lure of the dark side is difficult to resist. I fear this quest to find the Star Forge could lead you down an all too familiar path.

May the Force be with you.

We've received our mission, and we know what to do. Now, all that's left for us here on Dantooine is to head back to the Ebon Hawk and start our quest for the Star Forge.

We can still talk to some folks along the way. Let's see if Belaya has anything new to say to us.

You should be proud of your accomplishment... but never forget that you still have much to learn. As your power grows you will constantly face temptations to slip to the dark side. This is the eternal struggle of the Jedi.

Okay, thanks. I was hoping she'd mention something about Juhani, but I guess that's all on the dark side path. Oh well.

Who blabbed about that already?

I only wanted to wish you well, and to warn you to be careful. There are many evils out there, many dangers. The Sith are not the only minions of the dark side.

He didn't really say that this thing he's talking about is more dangerous than the Sith, just that it's dangerous. Still, it'd be nice to know what he means.

The worst of these abominations is the terentatek, a beast that feeds on the blood of those who are strong in the Force. Over the centuries, many Jedi have fallen to their ravenous hunger.

There are some who believe the terentatek is a monster bred by the ancient Sith, and spread throughout the galaxy to destroy the Jedi. Fortunately, the terentatek is quite rare. They only dwell in the most dangerous and darkest of places. In fact, one has not been seen in nearly forty years.

Well, that doesn't sound too bad then.

I fear Malak's rise may have woken these creatures from their dormant state. Once the Sith are beaten, I would not be surprised if the Council organized another Great Hunt to try and exterminate them.

Many Jedi vanished during this period, disappearing from a variety of worlds without warning. We did not know they had been slain until their mutilated bodies began to be discovered. The Council investigated, and discovered the terentatek were behind the killings. It was decided the galaxy had to be purged of these insatiable monsters - though the cost proved high.

The terentatek are an abomination, they are ruthless engines of death and destruction. The Council had no choice but to destroy them, for the greater good of the galaxy.

But if they only lurk in the darkest corners of the galaxy, it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to avoid them. Right? It's not like they were actively attacking the Republic.

There were still rumors of terentatek on the planet of Korriban, a dark world some believe to be the birthplace of the Sith. That is where Exar Kun was corrupted during the first Sith War. They never went to Korriban. The Council, fearing more Jedi might fall to the dark side, declared the Great Hunt was officially over... though three Jedi were appointed to continue the work.

We will of course be going to Korriban, so maybe we should keep an eye out for these creatures. Korriban is a Sith world anyway, so who knows what we'll find out there?

The Council felt that together they would be able to defeat any terentatek they found. And by supporting each other they could resist the temptations of Korriban and the lure of the dark side.

Yes, the Qel-Dromas are well known in the galaxy for resisting the lure of the dark side and not being possessed by ancient Sith ghosts.

But none of the three survived. Their Master felt them become one with the Force when they left this world. He believed they were slain by one of the monsters they sought. The Council felt it was too dangerous to send anyone else in search of their remains, so their exact fate is not known. But let their deaths serve as a warning to you, Padawan.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be careful.

A final warning as you go, Padawan: do not underestimate the terentatek. If you do, you may suffer the same fate as those who disappeared after the Great Hunt.

We'll keep that in mind.

Anyway, now we can return to the Ebon Hawk and start our quest proper.

Really? Now? Fine.

There is a bond between us, I do not dispute that. I can feel it, as I'm sure you can. The nature of that bond and its effect on our mission remain in question.

I saw your service records when you were transferred aboard the Endar Spire, but nothing beyond that. I know very little about you. I'd like to ask you some questions, given our relationship.

Sure, why not.

We could turn this whole thing into a joke or just tell Bastila to gently caress off with her questions, but I'm sure she'd appreciate it more if we actually took this seriously and gave proper answers.

Yes, well... The truth is I was studying *how* you responded to my questions. Your reactions help me judge you; this was a test for me to learn more about your character.

And what did you find out?

You were honest, which is good. And you treated this as a serious matter, which it is. This bond we share will shape both our destinies, it is not to be taken lightly. But I imagine you've had enough questions for a while. So many things have happened to you since Taris. It's probably a lot for you to absorb.

Is this how our party members feel when we ask them to tell us about themselves?

Next time, we'll take a closer look at the Ebon Hawk and have some chats with our companions, and then the quest for the Star Forge begins for real!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 15, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The thing about a lot of the dark side options in sidequests we've seen is just evil for the sake of it, when the dark siders in the movies tend to do evil in support of some larger goal. Even Kylo Ren, the most unstable and "gently caress you dad" of the lot, doesn't go around shaking down homeless people for pocket change.

e: that selkath on the cover cracks me the gently caress up. You'd think Carth would be there taking second billing behind Bastila. Was Carth meant to be a selkath? Shoulda kept him that way.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 15, 2020

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem with Dark Side and evil responses in general for games is that evil has to be more proactive if it wants to be coherent. If you're good, you just help the person, but there's no logical reason to be evil to someone other than 'gently caress it' unless it's part of a larger plan. But that's not really easy to write in a game. Honestly, for games, the short-term evil option needs to actually give you something tangible as a reward for doing it(or at least look like it will), or it'll never make sense.

This doesn't really excuse any of the answers you can give the council though because it's either sucking their balls or telling them to gently caress off.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Keldulas posted:

The problem with Dark Side and evil responses in general for games is that evil has to be more proactive if it wants to be coherent. If you're good, you just help the person, but there's no logical reason to be evil to someone other than 'gently caress it' unless it's part of a larger plan. But that's not really easy to write in a game. Honestly, for games, the short-term evil option needs to actually give you something tangible as a reward for doing it(or at least look like it will), or it'll never make sense.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, and I think Bioware realized this too by the time Mass Effect rolled around. There, the "evil" path had mostly the same end goal as the "good" path but it was more about ends-justify-the-means rather than mustache-twirling mischief. The Paragon/Renegade system wasn't perfect for sure but it was a definite improvement over the classic good/evil.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Agreed. The Hero/Anti-Hero of the Paragon/Renegade is a better step forward, whatever kinks the system had. Punching reporters or headbutting a Krogan feel like coherent actions taken by an actual kind of person, and it's also really funny.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m also reminded of the central concept of Fable 3, where you find out that the reason the evil, tyrannical king was behaving that way was because he was attempting to prepare the kingdom for an invasion from a far worse evil... Just as you get thrust into his throne.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The one thing I want to say is that there is actually a mechanical reason for people choosing the Doublesaber over Dual-wielding them.

With a double-saber, a single crystal benefits both blades, whereas when dual-wielding them, a single crystal can only be slotted into one of your two sabers. There are a few crystals in the game that can definitely be considered the "best" - with a double-saber, you can choose which two crystals you feel are the absolute best for your build, and effectively double their benefit by getting it for both blades, whereas to achieve that with Dual-wielding sabers, you'd need two of each crystal.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I'm pretty sure you have doubles of every decent crystal though. IIRC double-bladed saber is considerably better in KOTOR 2 with the personal crystal (for a fighter, if you spam lightning you go dual-wield for the bonuses), but here there's not that much of a difference. I think there's a very slight edge to damage with a double-bladed saber and optimal load, but two sabers get slightly more utility due to special crystals giving modifiers.

TitanG fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 16, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dual saber or saber and short saber also have the advantage of being way cooler than the double bladed saber.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Part 15: Communication Issues

Last time, we discovered Revan and Malak were looking for something called the Star Forge years ago and found an incomplete Star Map in the Dantooine ruins. More maps apparently exist on other planets, left there by an ancient race known as the Builders who were described by a Builder droid as an "infinite empire". We have been given the task of finding these Star Maps, which would hopefully lead us to the Star Forge and give us a chance of stopping the Sith.

First off, though, we need to check out the Ebon Hawk interior since we didn't get the opportunity to do so yet. Well, I guess we could've returned to the ship at any point, but we were busy slaughtering the local wildlife and fixing everyone's problems on Dantooine.

We can find Mission hanging out in the east crew quarters. Let's see if she's got anything interesting to say.

As you may recall, Mission previously described Lena as a "space tramp" and an "intergalactic skank". I think I saw an Intergalactic Skank concert once. (This is the point where someone informs me that is an actual band).

She was a dancer at the cantina where my brother used to go to play Pazaak. Griff could be a real smooth talker, and it wasn't long before the two of them were dating. But Lena was used to dating rich Tarisian nobles - guys with mountains of credits. Griff could never give her the kind of lifestyle she was used to, no matter how hard he worked.

I thought Lena would brush Griff off when she saw how poor he was, but for some reason she stuck around. I guess she saw the potential for a big payday down the road.

I mean, weirder things have happened. There also seems to be a hint of jealousy here, but of course we don't know the story.

After they'd been together for a few months, Griff told me he was leaving Taris. He and Lena were going to try and make their fortune off-world. He promised as soon as he made enough credits he'd come back and get me and we'd all live like royalty. That was two years ago - I haven't seen him since! I don't even know where he went!

Right.

Oh, I know what happened! As soon as she got him off Taris Lena sunk her claws into Griff but good! She twisted him around her little finger and made him forget all about me! I know I'll probably never see Griff again. But part of the reason I came with you was the hope that I could find out what happened to my brother. Don't worry - I won't let my search for Griff get in the way of what we're doing. Let's just get back to the task at hand. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Maybe one way we will find out what happened to Griff, but for now we'll continue our tour of the Ebon Hawk.

Canderous can be found in the swoop garage area of the ship, which also contains a workbench. Canderous can give us adrenal stimulants, but more importantly he has some war stories to tell.

My name's Canderous of the Mandalorian clan Ordo. I've been fighting across the galaxy for 40 of your years. For my people it's the honor and glory of battle that rules us. It's through combat that we prove our worth, gain renown and make our fortunes.

So it was actually the Sith who suggested the Mandalorians go to war against the Republic, most likely to weaken the Republic and make it easier for the Sith to conquer later on. As proud warrior race guys who live for the thrill and glory of battle, they happily accepted.

If there's nothing at stake - your possessions, your life, your world - then the battle's meaningless. We Mandalore take everything we are and throw it into battle. It's the true test of yourself - the battle against death... against oblivion.

Mandalore is supposed to be the name of the leader of the Mandalorians, as well as the name of the planet they originate from, but the script seems to be using the names interchangeably.

So, how did Canderous end up running errands for Davik?

The clans as they were aren't a threat, but the galaxy still fears us. Ha! People think we war out of spite, or bloodlust. They don't understand, and fear that. We only wanted the challenge of the battle, and glory from it - win or lose. And we lost. But now I have no real challenges. Crushing Davik's enemies and the pathetic gangs in the Lower City of Taris could not be considered the most glorious of tasks. When I think of the battles I've fought... the thousands I've killed... the worlds I've burned... I weep for my past. We'll never speak of this again. We've got work to do, so let's get to it.

Will do. We'll talk more later. Next up, we'll use the workbench to upgrade our lightsabers.

These are the lightsaber upgrade crystals we currently have. Rubat is a small damage and attack boost, nothing special. Bondar offers a 25% stun chance, which according to my extensive research (clicking the first Google result for "kotor bondar stack") stacks with Critical Strike. Sigil offers a larger damage bonus as well as +1 to Attack.

I insert the Bondar and Sigil crystals into our main saber and a Rubat crystal the other. I could've also put one Rubat crystal in each of our sabers and then split Sigil and Bondar between them to have two fully upgraded sabers, and I'll do something like that later on but for now we'll go with this setup.

Double-bladed lightsabers only require one set of crystals, so you can get e.g. the effects from Sigil and Bondar on both blades without actually having to find another set of those crystals for the second blade. I generally prefer to have different sets of crystals on each blade, which is only possible with dual sabers.

Back to the tour. This is the engine room, where the engine and hyperdrive are located. Any questions so far?

T3-M4 and Zaalbar hang out in the main hold, which also houses the navicomputer console which can also be used as a holoprojector. We can also find Juhani in what appears to be a supply closet.

T3 can create computer spikes for you, although you won't be able to get too many from him before he needs to... I don't know, recharge or something. As Zila points out, T3 isn't much for talking or displaying personality in general, which is a bit of a shame considering how much personality droids such as R2-D2 had. T3 will get much, much better on that front in KotOR II, but that is a story for another time entirely.

Just chime in if you ever have any advice.

Beep-boop.

Beep-boop to you too, buddy.

Beep-woop-woo.

You don't even know what I was going to ask!

Okay, fine.

Maybe Zaalbar will have something to tell us.

He can make grenades as well, but we want to know a little more about him.

It is nothing personal, but I just don't feel you could understand anything about me. The ways of my people are not for outsiders to know. You'll have to be content with that.

Then I will leave you be.

Thank you.

Zaalbar is not much for conversation either, but Juhani will be more than happy to talk to us.

I hope that by helping you in your task I may redeem myself in your eyes... and in my own.

I can only hope that, in our time journeying together, I will succeed.

:staredog: PHRASING! I'm pretty sure that last line is meant for a different conversation altogether.

She has plenty more to say as well.

Well... It goes back a number of years... Back on my homeworld we did not see Jedi very often, especially where I lived.

Champions of truth. Defenders of justice. Heroes of the Republic. It was very easy for a child to be enthralled by their image, their mystique. Maybe I was one of those children.

When I saw a Jedi for the first time they lived up to everything my imagination had created them to be. I was awed... and maybe a bit enamored...

The foolish delusions of a child. But THIS child made it happen! As soon as I was able I left my world and went in search of them. I found them and was accepted. I had been living my dream on Dantooine for several years before you came. Although... perhaps I was not entirely ready for it... or not completely suited to the task. Otherwise I would not have fallen... But thanks to you I have been redeemed. Perhaps I may yet live to see that dream of mine come true. Come, there is much we should do. Let us not waste time talking. Action is what is needed.

No, we're not finished here yet.

I have been thinking about myself... about Quatra... and about my fall to the dark side. I keep thinking that it was my anger that drove me that far, that nearly damned me. I look inside myself now and I can still see it, I still feel it.

Perhaps you just need more time.

More time would do me good. Time to distance myself from that anger. I think that is why the Council agreed to send me with you. They think, perhaps, that in your company I will be able to free myself from it.

We will hear much more from Juhani later, but as of right now we know she met a Jedi on her homeworld and was inspired to become a Jedi herself (generally, in Star Wars you don't just decide you want to be a Jedi, but she made it work). Of course, that eventually turned sour because she couldn't control her emotions well enough, not that Master Quatra's little test would've helped any. Regardless, she's here now and we'll step in if she starts to slip back to the dark side.

In the cargo hold, we can find our food and supply stores as well as some empty boxes we can shove our unnecessary items if for some reason you don't want to sell them.

At the back is a smuggling compartment, but we can't do anything with that since nobody gave us the codes to open it.

The west crew quarters are empty. I'm also quite sure the ship doesn't have enough beds for everyone in the party, unless there's one somewhere that we can't see. Between the two crew quarters and the medical bay (which we'll see later), there are seven beds available and we'll end up with eight non-droid party members including Zila.

This is the communications room. It has a lot of... well, communications stuff in it, such as security camera access (which we can't actually access in-game). I could also have sworn the actual navigation computer was here, but Wookieepedia disagrees and I'm not going to argue with those guys.

Carth and Bastila are always found in the cockpit of the Ebon Hawk. Before we leave Dantooine, we'll talk to them as well.

Thanks, but as I said I need to talk to Bastila and Carth first. Also, if the Galaxy Map is the actual navicomputer, I'm not sure what the Wookieepedia article (which you should not read if you haven't played the games, because spoilers) is going on about, but I suppose it makes sense that you could access the computer from multiple locations in the ship.

Not just yet. The Galaxy Map screen is showing Tatooine, which happens to be where we will start our quest for the Star Maps. That's probably where everyone goes first, because it's such a familiar location from the movies. At the time of KotOR's release, only Star Wars EU fans and weirdos who saw the Holiday Special knew of Kashyyyk, and Korriban had mostly been seen in Tales of the Jedi. Manaan, on the other hand, was created entirely by BioWare for this game.

We... err... can't talk to Carth. The Dialog option does nothing. While this could be seen as a positive, we do also want to complete Carth's personal sidequest so hopefully this will sort itself out soon.

Let's talk to Bastila instead.

I still don't understand why we shared this 'vision'.

Are you wondering why we shared the vision? Or why we even received fit in the first place? To the first I can only repeat the answer that the Council gave us. Our fates are linked, and for two as strong as we are in the Force that amounts to a near-physical bond. As to the second, I don't truly have an answer for you. The Force works as it will, and perhaps we should be grateful for what we have been given.

But how did our fates become linked?

l... I don't know. Believe me, I certainly don't find the prospect of being joined to you enjoyable in any fashion.

How rude!

Please forgive me. I did not mean to imply that you were repulsive in any sense of the word. That we shared something so personal is just not something I'm used to.

Why did we dream of Malak and Revan?

That would not be my first choice, either, but choice appears to be irrelevant in this matter. We dreamed about Revan and Malak either because we were meant to or because we needed to. There is no other way to look at it.

What do you think Revan and Malak were doing?

Do you think we will receive more of these visions?

With luck we will. I would rather not rely on such visions to guide us, but when we have so little else to go on and the galaxy hangs in the balance...

Actually, before we lift off, we should go talk to an NPC here on Dantooine.

I think I talked to Lur Arka offscreen earlier, but let's make sure we had a chat with him.

Even if you already talked to Lur Arka, he'll just repeat this same stuff.

His young daughter was kidnapped by those raiders many years ago and has not been returned. Might you have news of her? Her name is Sasha.

Can't say we've heard anything of her.

It is not customary for the Mandalorians to terminate their captives. It is my hope Sasha has escaped or been sold into slavery. If so, I may yet locate her.

Sorry, I have no idea who you're talking about.

Ah, that is too bad. I shall have to continue my search.

I'll keep an eye out for your girl.

Right. Now that that's done, let's return to the Hawk and check out that Galaxy Map.

While I said we'd start our Star Map quest on Tatooine, there is another stop we must make before that. The Yavin space station was originally a free DLC addon for the Xbox version of KotOR, and was integrated into the PC port from the start. When the Xbox One backwards compatibility feature for original Xbox games launched and KotOR was one of the initial supported releases, this DLC pack was not downloadable so you weren't able to access the Yavin station on Xbox One. However, it has since been patched in.

So, let's head out.

Meanwhile, on Darth Malak's ship...

She was aided by Carth Onasi, a decorated war hero of the Republic and a legendary soldier. During the Mandalore Wars he was honored many times for his bravery.

You know this man?

Yes, Lord Malak. He served under me when I still followed the Republic. You could say I was his mentor.

Interesting. How did you acquire this information, Admiral?

An eye witness, Lord Malak.

Oh, gently caress off! You didn't survive that!

We left him buried under a metric ton of debris in an exploding hangar, not to mention that we had the only ship that could get through the Sith blockade without getting blown to bits by their auto-targeting cannons! I know bounty hunters in Star Wars EU do have a tendency to survive situations they shouldn't, but this is kind of ridiculous and unless Calo literally has superpowers (plot armor doesn't count), I call shenanigans.

The encounter itself was the survivable part!

And that is the entirety of the explanation we're going to get as to how Calo made it out unscathed.

Her companions are nothing to me, Calo - but I desire the young Jedi taken alive if at all possible.

Lord Malak, forgive me. There is something else. May we have a private audience away from the ears of the common soldiers?

I trust you are not wasting my time, Admiral Karath.

We do not get to hear what this information is and which of our party members it concerns, of course.

Here we are at the Yavin space station, floating in orbit near the gas giant and the jungle moon of Yavin IV.

Hm? What's the matter, Zaalbar?

That... doesn't sound good.

Someone's been into the emergency stash of food. Mission and I asked everyone, but nobody knows anything about it. You might want to check out the food stores the next time you're in the cargo hold.

Well, that's something we did not need. Let's go investigate the emergency supplies.

[There are no half-eaten or torn packages to indicate the theft was from pests or vermin. It looks more like some unknown person has been conducting clandestine raids on your stores.]

Definitely didn't need this.

Oh well. Time for a stowaway hunt.

You get this message a few times as you wander around the ship.

Eventually, you'll locate the source of the footsteps.

All right. Get over here, you little bastard. Nowhere left to run.

There you are.

What was that?

Well, we found the culprit, but now we have another problem. We can't understand a word of what our stowaway is saying.

Needless to say, we don't get very far in this conversation, so let's talk to the girl again.

Nope, that's not helping.

Sasha? Maybe she's the one Lur Arka was looking for?

No, still not working.

If we're going to get anywhere with Sasha, we have to make some sense out of this bizarre language of hers.

This would be a nice little quest if it wasn't for one very specific problem - Sasha only has a couple of canned voice lines, including the dreaded MUCHA SHAKA PAKA which you will hear roughly 5,704 times in the next couple of minutes.

This quest would've worked so much better if Sasha's lines were actually voice acted instead of using canned alien speech lines. Hell, I'd prefer no voice acting at all over what we have here. Like I promised earlier, I uploaded a video of this scene for your delectation:

VIDEO: Linguistic Difficulties

We seem to be making some progress.

I didn't get all of that, but sure.

Sasha na esowon in bristag. Bristag me laesfa.

Bristag? What is that?

[The girl points at things around her.] Bristag! Bristag me laesfa!

"Bristag" seems to be difficult for us to figure out.

Ah, spaceship.

What? Why not? That was about as obvious as it could possibly have been!

Yes, we've established that.

Let's see if "Laesfa" is easier to understand.

The panel... all of this... it's your home. "Laesfa" means "home".

[The girl smiles.] Sasha na esowon in bristag. Bristag me laesfa!

Let's try bristag again.

I don't know why that didn't work the first time.

We're starting to get somewhere now.

You've said that before. What is ”gon-disen"?

Is she making fun of us?

[The girl smiles and pats her chest.] Gon-disen! Me!

It's... something you like. Yes, "gon-disen" means you like it!

Yooba gon-disen!

You like me. I understand.

:3:

"Na abds"... you said that when I first found you.

[She frowns and slaps her leg again.] Abds! ls na gon-disen!

So... "abds" is "to hurt"? "Na abds" means "not hurt"? Is that it?

Yooba na abds!

I understand. No, I won't hurt you.

Yum? What kind of word is that?

[The girl seems puzzled. She points towards elsewhere on the ship.] Yum. Me awnts kesta-won yum.

[She mimics an act which looks like she's chewing something.] Yum. Me yum gon-disen!

Yum... you mean food, don't you? "Yum" is "food".

Nuh ghis? Is that all one phrase?

[She covers her mouth with her hand.] Me na kapsie nuh ghis!

You're not speaking... now? "Nuh ghis" means "now"! "Na nuh ghis" is not now... or "before"?

Nuh ghis! Me awnts kesta-won yum nuh ghis!

Tabed you? What do you mean?

[The girl points at her mouth.] Yooba kapsie... tabed me yooba.

You speak... something?

So... 'tabed' means 'tell me about'. I get it.

Tabed me yooba!

I think she wants us to tell her about ourselves.

We seem to have this mostly figured out, so let's continue talking to Sasha. Maybe she'll tell us how she ended up on our ship.

Yes, we'll talk to you now.

Me palkie bristag na nuh ghis! Me hoot abd liaz!

You came to the ship before. You were very scared. Why?

Me palkie Manlorey! Me na esowon!

You left the Mandalorians? And hid here on the ship.

Me na palkie awnts! Bristag me laesfa!

You don't want to leave. The Ebon Hawk is your home.

[She nods.] Bristag me laesfa.

Why are you scared of the Mandalorians? Hoot bad liaz Manlorey?

Manlorey kesta-won Sasha na nuh ghis! Manlorey abds!

They took you before? And hurt you?

Manlorey bristag na laesfa. Manlorey bristag is na gon-disen!

The Mandalorian ship wasn't home. You didn't like it.

Me palkie Manlorey bristag. Me na esowon in bristag laesfa.

You sleep here on the ship? Yooba stin-quiw in bristag?

[She points at a nearby service panel. You understand that she must have been sleeping in the ship's repair ducts.] Sasha stin-quiw there. It gon-disen.

The Ebon Hawk is not your home, Sasha. Not your first home, anyway. Bristag na Sasha laesfa.

As much as she likes the Ebon Hawk, she can't stay on the ship forever, especially when we're on a quest to stop the Sith.

[She seems uncertain.] Me palkie laesfa? Me palkie Dantooine?

Yes, you can go home.

Okay! That took some effort, but we managed to communicate with Sasha well enough to tell her we'd take her to home to Dantooine. She still seems to like the ship a lot, but we'll see how things will turn out once we get back to Dantooine. If you're a dick, you can just throw her off the ship because she's not your problem.

First off, we should go see if anyone is home on this station.

To get to the station proper, we first need to run through this lengthy tunnel and activate all the access panels on the walls.

But who are you? You new or something?

Republic, eh? The Republic hasn't been here in 50 years... don't see why they'd start now. It would be nice to have someone to talk to for a change... Trandoshans and smugglers aren't exactly stunning conversationalists.

Trandoshans and smugglers? What are you talking about?

They come by here every once in a while, it's how I keep in the loop, you know. But Trandoshan lizard-speak is kind of hard to follow and they have pretty limited imaginations... Smugglers aren't much better either...

Hey, I resent that!

Just have to fiddle with this drat door lock... thing keeps jamming...

Whoever this Rodian is, he's got a pretty nifty place set up here on this station.

I seek the pieces of a map to a 'Star Forge'.

Mm... 'Star Forge'? Never heard of it. There's nothing in this system except ruins of Exar Kun's war...

He failed, obviously, and the Republic bombarded the surface almost into oblivion during their counterattack. Now all that's left are a lot of craters and a little bit of jungle. You could find stuff there for years afterwards, but I've got pretty much everything there was to find there. Mostly all I've been doing for the last couple years has been tinkering with what I've found there, getting some of it to work, and modifying the stuff the smugglers and Trandoshans bring me to look at.

You spend all your time here in this station? Alone?

Eh? Yes, of course! You don't see anyone else around, do you? Well, not entirely alone at any rate... Trandoshans or smugglers come by every so often and drop things off and pick some of my inventions up.

You're an inventor?

Maybe a little. I just tinker with stuff I've found lying around the ruins on Yavin IV, or that the Trandoshans and smugglers bring me. Of course, with them it's usually weapons and things... But I just have so many ideas that people haven't seemed to come up with yet. It's really quite astonishing.

Who are the Trandoshans?

The Trandoshans? Mercenaries and bounty hunters... Scum, mostly. They look like big two-legged lizards.

Game, please don't put the racist option at the top of the list. As for Trandoshans, everyone's favorite bounty hunter Bossk is a Trandoshan. I like Bossk, he's always so happy to be doing whatever it is he's doing, even though he always loses to Boba Fett and everyone else.

I'd give them a few of my more... applicable inventions at reasonable prices, and they'd keep me supplied with food and new materials. It's worked out well so far, for years really. With Davik gone, they've been getting ideas, though.

Do you have anything you'd be willing to sell me?

Yeah, I have a few things kicking around the place. Stuff the Trandoshans and smugglers have brought for me to look at, and a few things I've been making from parts. They aren't cheap, though. They pay a lot for what I can make, and anything I sell to you I can't exactly sell to them, now can I? But if you're willing to pay, I've got a few of my more advanced things you can look at. I'm always working on more, so you can check back some other time if I don't have what you want right now. Here, have a look.

Suvam is, I believe, the only merchant in KotOR who actually updates his stock as the game progresses, so the completely ridiculous and expensive items will eventually be joined by several even more ridiculous and expensive items. There's nothing here we want right now, not that we could afford most of it anyway.

However, Suvam will also buy your items at vastly higher prices than any other merchant in the game. He'll pay 65% of the item's base value, which is 2.6 times higher than the rates anyone else will give you (aside from some of the merchants on Taris, but for understandable reasons those don't really count at this point). So, let's sell off some of this crap we've been accumulating.

We can buy back the items we sell, but I think we'll be fine without any of that stuff because we can get much better replacements.

Before we go, let's take a quick look around. I think that's some kind of a primitive probe droid.

Suvam's got a pretty great view of Yavin, not gonna lie.

We don't have time to admire the view for very long, though. Let's get out of here. We'll be back eventually.

Occasionally, you get attacked by Sith fighters when traveling between planets. I'll be cutting those random encounters out of future updates because they're completely inconsequential. After finishing off the fighters, we head to Dantooine so we can return Sasha to her father.

Lur Arka needs convincing that our stowaway is indeed the Sasha he seeks, but since we managed to figure out her strange language we won't have any trouble convincing him.

Let us go there now. I am most anxious to see her.

After you.

I see that Zila Galcyon was correct about your linguistic difficulties. I am positive that your parents can assist you with that.

Calm yourself, child. I will take you home.

Sasha na esowon in bristag. Bristag me laesfa.

This will take forever unless we do something.

Yb, bristag. Yb-abu, Zila Galcyon!

Now that that is sorted out, let's return to the cockpit and see if Carth has anything new to say.

Still unresponsive. This might be bad.

I took Carth out of the ship to see if that would fix his problem, but no. Loading the game, resetting, nothing worked. He doesn't even follow us, just stands there next to the Ebon Hawk.

Carth did, however, gain a few levels so we'll set him up with an extra DEX point for blaster funtimes, as well as Master Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved and Master Sniper Shot.

Let's try talking to Zila as Carth and see if that does anything.

This popped up when I talked to Zila.

At last we're managing to have a conversation with Carth again.

For one thing, I want to know what the Jedi Council said to you. They pulled you in there and refused to tell me a thing about it. I'm rather curious to know what went on... and why they didn't keep you on Dantooine for training. Isn't that strange?

A bond? What kind of bond? You mean to say that they told you you were "tied" to Bastila in some way? Heh. I have trouble believing that.

Of course you do.

I'm not trying to provoke you or imply that you're somehow responsible for the Jedi Council... but give me a hand, here! There has to be a reason!

I'll tell you this much... I am *not* going to wait around until I'm betrayed again!

For gently caress's sake, Carth! I kinda preferred you when you weren't talking!

Christ, what a passive-aggressive dickhead.

That seems to be how this is going, yes.

Gladly. More importantly, let's see if we managed to fix him. Well, mechanically speaking, anyway.

Okay, good. He's following us again.

And we can talk to him again. Minor crisis averted.

We can talk to him in the cockpit as well. There was no reason to assume that wouldn't be the case, but I just wanted to make sure. By the way, I seem to have completely forgotten to mention this, but Carth is voiced by Raphael Sbarge whom you might know from such roles as Kaidan in Mass Effect. Now, Kaidan is not all that much like Carth as a character, but even then I get unfortunate flashbacks every time he opens his mouth and clumsily hits on Shepard.

Anyway, that is all we have time for today. All the talky bits took longer than I predicted, but next time we will most definitely find our way to Tatooine and start the quest for the Star Forge!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 18, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Carth is still the worst. That conversation figuring out the kids language actually wasn't that bad, so long as you don't have the MUCHA SHUKA PAKA going on constantly

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I get the feeling Calo Nord's going to show up on each planet, try to kill us, get cutscene killed like he did on Taris, and keep showing up until Malak force chokes him to death in a cutscene near the end of the game. Hard for us to kill (and get the credit for killing).

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm not hearing any audio from the video in the update. I can still hear it in my head though :shepicide:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Whoops, I think I accidentally had the audio muted in Premiere :eng99:

Just a sec, I'll render and upload it again

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Another important part of suvi tan. His inventory restocks every time it updates. So the really powerful, one of a kind stuff he sells? You can grab some copies for your friends.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Another important part of suvi tan. His inventory restocks every time it updates. So the really powerful, one of a kind stuff he sells? You can grab some copies for your friends.
Huh, I didn't know that. That's pretty great.

The video should have audio now, so you can hear MUCHA SHAKA PAKA in all its glory.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
A young child who was captured by Mandalorians, who only speaks Mandalorian, huh? If only we knew someone more familiar with this kind of situation, someone, I don't know, connected with the Mandalorians somehow, could have made the conversation a lot easier.

Oh well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

As far as I understand, she doesn't actually speak Mandalorian, just knows a few scattered words that she's using completely wrong. Note that the game describes it as "Sasha's strange language" rather than "Mandalorian".

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 17, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

A young child who was captured by Mandalorians, who only speaks Mandalorian, huh? If only we knew someone more familiar with this kind of situation, someone, I don't know, connected with the Mandalorians somehow, could have made the conversation a lot easier.

Oh well.

Yeah, I always found this quest just ignoring canderous hilarious

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Doc M posted:

It is most reassuring to know that you can forgive me, even though I tried to take your life. I can only hope that, in our time journeying together, I will succeed.

:wtc:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice that :laffo:

I think they got the endings for the two conversations the wrong way around and this was supposed to be for the one where she talks about completely getting rid of the darkness and becoming the Jedi she was meant to be.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Or where she talks about trying to redeem herself by helping you a few lines earlier

Is there a word for when this kind of thing happens? Want to say malapropism but I don't think that's right.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I.. Forgot how -bad- the Jedi were in this game.

Also this /extremely/ critical mission they do to find if the Sith have some sort of dangerous superweapon/macguffin to.. A recently promoted Jedi Knight that is barely 18 or 19, a Padawan with -maybe- a few weeks of training, a Cathar that they were trying to give Saturday morning cartoon 'the more you know' character lessons to..

I can /sort/ of get Bastila as she was the one that was in the engagement with Malek, and us as we are somehow mentally bonded to her but.. Sending Juhani with us as we 'might help her avoid the temptation of the Dark Side' seems -incredibly- random. It gets her away from her Master (which is also a very important thing) but sending her on something this critical seems.. Odd.

Also I get secrecy but they have 3-4 members of the Jedi Council on Datooine and clearly other senior knights around. So it's not like they're spread throughout the galaxy fighting the Sith.

One would think that another Jedi would've been sent along rather than a wet behind the ears Knight and a wetter behind the ears Padawan.

... We've been hit with Main Character Syndrome, haven't we?

(Also the fact the Jedi don't have time to deal with Mandalorian raiders aided by the Sith, maraudering Keth Hounds killing civilians, but they /do/ have the Council during the midst of an intergalactic war that threatens thier extermination to have the Council deal with neighbor hillbilly feuds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Mandalorians on Dantooine weren't aided by the Sith. The only time the Sith had anything to do with any Mandalorians was when they convinced the Mandalorians to go to war against the Republic, these guys on Dantooine were just Fallout raiders harassing peasants.

The Jedi think there is a non-zero chance the Sith are still involved, but they're wrong and stupid.

Also, Bastila hasn't even been promoted to Knight yet, she's still a Padawan like we are. I'm not sure where her master is, though.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 17, 2020